The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-30-2002, 04:49 AM   #121
elanor_niphredil
Pile O'Bones

elanor_niphredil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I dont do much. I reguarly quote the book and film, have a shrine in my bedroom, bought a box of yucky cinnimon cereal (promising to eat it all, and did) just for the holigraphic LOTR card of elrond and got my friend to get two more, read the book secretly during lessons, bring it up just enough to be labled crazy, watched it three times without stopping when it arrived on DVD and am now learning Elvish. Oh, and I also do that ring thing that someone mentioned, to the extent that I did trip up, but failed to catch it.

I think thats it...
Old 08-30-2002, 01:01 PM   #122
LaurinaAinur
Pile O'Bones

LaurinaAinur has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to LaurinaAinur
Shield

What does LaurinaAinur do that's obsessive? Wait a minute...you can't expect me to put it ALL here. How about:
Plans to start a M-E community...a 'New Age' (Har Har..Balrog joke aka 'Gollum's Secret Diary') town where all kinds of Middle-Earthians can dwell together in peace, speaking the languages, wearing the clothes ect. and no one will think we're wierd.
Reads at least one Tolkien book every week
Has read LOTR 10 times...starting with FotR, then TTT, then RotK...then starts over again
Has been saving up to buy a nice Ring but the resolve is weakening...is getting ready to buy a cheap one...feels so naked without one around her neck on a chain
Has gotten all six brothers and sisters AND dad hooked on LotR...quote Tolkien (and speak Elvish extensively) to one another...insult each other in Elvish and compare people we know or see to characters from the books and movie
Plans to sew herself a cloak reminiscent of Strider's for the winter...and wear it to college
Will wear Strider cloak to the TT movie...with a sword, boots and my stringy, unwashed hair
Would say much more but is worried about the sound she is hearing...possibly the neighbor's horse but sounds uncommonly like a Ringwraith. Will be back after investigating. *Creeps stealthily away*
Old 08-30-2002, 03:10 PM   #123
vanwalossien
Shade of Carn Dûm

vanwalossien has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

I bought "An introduction to Elvish", at a time I really shouldn't have (I was broke for weeks afterwards), and I think that actually is obsessive enough.. Trying to learn an invented language..! And I've started wearing an old gold ring on a silver chain... And I write my elvish name (Vanwalossien, obviously..) on my books instead of my "real" name.. I've also managed to make six people read LOTR just by being obsessive... [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-30-2002, 09:03 PM   #124
Nevfeniel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Nevfeniel has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

FFFFFFFFOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOUUUUUUUUUUUUUURRRRRRRR PPPPPPPAAAAAGGGGGGGGEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSS!!!!
Okay, you may continue posting now. AND STOP LOOKING AT ME LIKE THAT!! [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Consider the purr a variety of audible tranquilizer. [. . .] For a few of us, there is one more purr, a secret purr. When we combine our secret purrs, we produce the Purr of Power. And that is simply the amplified amity we feel as furred and purred beings.
Nevfeniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2002, 10:45 AM   #125
Maltataliel

Tolkien

*sighs* my friends say that I am intolerably obsessed with LotR, but now all i hafta do is show them this Forum topic! ^-^ umm, well, i quote LotR unknowingly in normal conversations, CONSTANTLY refer to the LotR in conversations, and i started acting like an elf...(posture, way they speak, and I sit and observe more than anithing now), and I speak elvish phrases mid conversation (everyone stares...) oooh! and i bought kapri's, and call them hobbit pants.

But ive ONLY watched LotR SIX times! thats not obsessive......
Old 09-06-2002, 07:10 PM   #126
Mithril
Pile O'Bones

Mithril has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The most obsessive thing I've done lately was this morning. I was getting ready for school and I went to put on my necklace with my cheap imitation ring(not the point here) on. I could have sworn I put it on my dresser, but it wasn't there. I went through my whole room looking for it, then I remembered it might be in the pocket of the pants I'd worn yesterday and put in the laundry hamper. I went and looked in the pocket and it wasn't there. My mom asked me what I was doing and I said "I'm looking for the One Ring. If I don't find it Sauron's going to find it and that'll be the end of the world as we know it!" She just gave me this weird look and rolled her eyes. It was pretty funny. And, by the way, I DID find the ring. It is around my neck right now. I also quote whenever possible.
Old 09-07-2002, 12:44 AM   #127
Craban
Pile O'Bones

Craban has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

When I'm talking with fellow fans who also live in the same city as me and I refer to certain prominent skyline features of ours as "Barad-dur" or "Minas Morgul," some of them understand immediately what I mean (the Sears Tower and the John Hancock building, respectively).
Craban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2002, 07:25 AM   #128
Nevfeniel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eye

The other day, I was having a discussion with someone about whether or not Elvis was alive (don't ask), and I accidently kept saying "Elvish".
Consider the purr a variety of audible tranquilizer. [. . .] For a few of us, there is one more purr, a secret purr. When we combine our secret purrs, we produce the Purr of Power. And that is simply the amplified amity we feel as furred and purred beings.
Old 09-08-2002, 06:16 PM   #129
Samwise_Gamgee
Haunting Spirit

Samwise_Gamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The most obsessive thing i've done is in school i'm sposed to learn spanish, but I talk in elvish to my teacher and friens instead! My teacher was so mad once he almost slapped me! It was kinda scary! [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img]
Old 09-08-2002, 06:19 PM   #130
NazgulNumberTen
Shade of Carn Dûm

NazgulNumberTen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to NazgulNumberTen
The Eye

Quote:
The other day, I was having a discussion with someone about whether or not Elvis was alive (don't ask), and I accidently kept saying "Elvish".
off course Elvis is alive. where do you think all those crop-circles came from?

[ September 08, 2002: Message edited by: NazgulNumberTen ]
Old 09-08-2002, 08:20 PM   #131
Rosseiliantiel
Wight

Rosseiliantiel has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I was sick at the end of the summer at my cottage and I was bored so I sat on the porch and recited the entire FotR movie, word for word, to myself (so sad, yet so young!) [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 09-09-2002, 12:45 AM   #132
JenFramp
Haunting Spirit

JenFramp has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to JenFramp
Sting

my obsessive thing that i do...is stay up till 4 in the morning on Tolkien message boards like this one [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]...and I can't stop collecting the action figures...
Old 09-14-2002, 05:19 PM   #133
Nevfeniel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eye

Yesterday in my Foods class, we were learning the equivalents of different measurments. When I saw 'pint' on the list, I wrote down next to it, "it comes in pints? I'm getting one."
Old 09-14-2002, 05:58 PM   #134
Eruwen

Eruwen has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

I sit in school writing out whole scenes from the movie. I have memorized almost all of them.

And, when I grow up and have children, I am naming my son Sam. I'm still trying to think of a middle name though.

AND, I printed out the movie script one day, and I sat in my basement reciting the whole movie over and over. I got so into it too. It was funny. Too bad I didnt have a camera with me.
Eruwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2002, 07:47 PM   #135
TimidDrake

Sting

My mom is getting me the one ring for my b-day it's like $20, constantly bringing up lotr and refering and no one but maby a friend knows what i'm talking about, and going to learn quenya soon. I think i may be a litte obssed but oh well [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img].
Old 09-14-2002, 07:51 PM   #136
NazgulNumberTen
Shade of Carn Dûm

The Eye

well...i don't know if it count as obsesive, but sooner or later i WILL have aragorn hair.
as for really obsessive..i wash my hands every 5 minutes...not...clean...
Old 09-15-2002, 07:44 AM   #137
Nevfeniel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eye

Okay, this isn't necessarily obsessive, per se, but now whenever I read LotR, I can't help putting in the personality of the Barrow Downers instead of their canon counterparts.
ex: Gimli son of Glóin, Galadrie1, etc.
I can't help laughing.
Oh, and whenever I'm watching the Weathertop scene in the movie, I always expect another, slightly shorter, cloaked figure to run up and shout, "SAVE INVADER ZIM!!!!" then run off into the shadows.

[ September 15, 2002: Message edited by: Nevfeniel ]
Old 09-22-2002, 06:09 PM   #138
NazgulNumberTen
Shade of Carn Dûm

The Eye

Quote:
Oh, and whenever I'm watching the Weathertop scene in the movie, I always expect another, slightly shorter, cloaked figure to run up and shout, "SAVE INVADER ZIM!!!!" then run off into the shadows.
i gotta admit, that one made me laugh...SAVE INVADER ZIM!!!...(runs off into shadows)
Old 09-22-2002, 07:43 PM   #139
Nevfeniel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eye

LOL
Today, when I was walking my dog, I had the strangest feeling that a car would be coming down the road soon. I said to my dog (yes, I talk to my dog. So what?), "I think we should get off the road." A few moments later, I look behind me, and there's a car coming so I say, "Get off the road! Quick!"
Old 09-23-2002, 12:20 AM   #140
elengil
Haunting Spirit

elengil has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Obsessive?? me?? noooo.. of course not.. I only have the counter number memorized when Orlando first come on screen.. I only have ever line he says memorizes.. I've only watched that horrid movie Wilde just to see the 53 seconds that Orlando makes an appearance.... but I wouldnt call that OBSESSIVE.....
Old 09-26-2002, 05:17 PM   #141
Nevfeniel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eye

Okay. . . let's see. . . Oh! I named my seat on the bus Numenor because it's like an island (all the seats around it are empty). When I read, I'm reading a Middle-Earth book, listening to the LotR CD, and using a Legolas bookmark that I hand-made myself.
Aaaand. . . when I had to get married for a test grade (in other words, it was a project), I named my oldest "son" Sam, and I wanted to name my "daughter" Aerin, but I decided to change it to Eryn 'cause I don't want my "husband" to think I'm insane. I also named "our" cat Laurelin and wanted to name the dog Arnil (Noble White), but he didn't want to. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] Okay, I've bored you all long enough.
Old 09-27-2002, 10:44 PM   #142
OjosVerdes

Sting

Ooh. I don't like the word 'obsessive.' It has bad connotations. 'Aficionado' is better. But then, how do you describe what you do? 'Aficionado-ish'? Hmm. OK, done babbling. Sorry, it's late. Anyway, aficionado-ish things that I do...

Well, I do the ring thing..but I think everyone here does.

One of my cats is named Merry(although I had her long before I discovered Tolkien...I maintain that it's a God thing [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]). Next pet I'd like to aquire is an orange teddy bear hamster to be named Gothmog. I named a friend's puppy Pippin -- odd thing is, he does look like a hobbit.

Umm..I made a LOTR board game(found the directions on the Tolkien Sarcasm Page) for a different friends birthday. (She's a Tolkienite too, so she loved it.) With this same friend, I once play-acted our very own parody of the Quest, with vegetables from one of those Fisher-Price kitchens(we were supposed to be babysitting). The other friend with us was...well..highly amused. Guess there's nothing like the sight of Frodo the Plastic Pizza Slice running around with the One Hot Pepper of Doom [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img].

At one point, I was in the habit of eating a snack at 11:00 PM and calling it 'elevensies'. And I suppose my rants about the injustice of removing Tom Bombadil, Crickhollow, Fatty Bolger, Glorfindel etc. from the movie couldbe called obsessive. Sort of [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]. Ok, I think I've said enough, so I'm going to stop now.
Old 09-28-2002, 11:29 AM   #143
LaurinaAinur
Pile O'Bones

Sting

What is the Tolkien Sarcasm Page, Mame? Sounds like fun! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 09-28-2002, 12:08 PM   #144
OjosVerdes

Sting

Well, to quote the webmaster, the Tolkien Sarcasm Page is "a small but dense collection of strange documents, fun activities and crackpot theories inspired by the works of J.R.R. Tolkien". It's also a heck of a lot of fun -- especially the Tolkien Crackpot Theories. Here's a link.
Tolkien Sarcasm Page
Old 09-28-2002, 05:26 PM   #145
Nevfeniel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eye

I almost called my friend (who has to walk on crutches right now) Labadal, but I didn't, since she might not be as understanding as Sador and think that the name was out of scorn, not pity.
Old 09-28-2002, 07:13 PM   #146
LaurinaAinur
Pile O'Bones

Sting

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!!!!! Thanks Mame! I am a Sherlock Holmes reader, and the ones on that site are awfully and terribly funny. "Papa Smurf" is now my name for You Know Who. *Thinks of the 'psychotic trees' and starts laughing again* He he he!
Quote:
"They have killed Kenny!" exclaimed Lestrade.
Too good!

[ September 28, 2002: Message edited by: LaurinaAinur ]
Old 09-30-2002, 04:34 PM   #147
hobbitlass
Shade of Carn Dûm

hobbitlass has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

I mentioned this on another forum, but it fits here too.
For christmas, I received the 4 LOTR glasses from Burger King. I have used the Frodo one everyday since then (yes I wash it). And no one is allowed to use or touch it. Instant death! It's mine...my own precious! [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]
Old 10-01-2002, 08:19 PM   #148
Demloth of Dol Amroth
Wight

Demloth of Dol Amroth has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
Next pet I'd like to aquire is an orange teddy bear hamster to be named Gothmog.
*bursts into a fit of hysterical laughter*
that sounds like something I'd do! maybe i should nickname our hissing rabbit The Balrog.
Old 10-10-2002, 04:04 PM   #149
Nevfeniel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eye

Quote:
sooner or later i WILL have aragorn hair.
I know someone who has Aragorn's hair. But the REAL Aragorn is much nicer than this guy. . . and better looking.

[ October 10, 2002: Message edited by: Nevfeniel ]
Old 10-10-2002, 08:44 PM   #150
Eruialiwen
Haunting Spirit

Eruialiwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Eruialiwen
Eye

Obsessive? ME? Nahhh...

*I plan on dressing as an Elf for Halloween and when I go to see TTT

*Last weekend we had a bit of a family reunion and went out to a big restaurant...I wore my hair Legolas-style and was wearing a necklace that said LEGOLAS in letter beads with two green leaf beads on either side of the name...and I was calling my 6 year old niece "my hobbit" and did the whole "2nd breakfast" thing with her. Then she dived under our table and came up holding one of my Celtic band rings--it had fallen off my finger. It was the way she was holding it...I burst out "IT'S THE ONE RING! YOU'RE FRODO! MY PRECCIOUSSS!" And she and my 14 year old niece burst out laughing, but nobody else heard me because they were talking so loud *grin*

*I'm starting to act like an Elf...sitting/standing and watching silently...loving the woods like a wood-Elf...the posture, the silent walking...

*I'm saving up to buy The One Ring or something [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] And I'm ready for the action figures!!! I hope Mom understands....LOL And also saving up to get the extended DVD!

*I've seen the movie 6 times and seen the Special Features about as often!

*I greatly desire to learn archery...had a kick at it when I was 7 and have always wanted to do it since, especially now... Then I want to buy a bow and quiver and arrows and take them into the woods and just walk among the trees...with my Legolas hairdo... [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] Ad almost every night I dream I'm shooting arrows!

*I've abandoned a story I've been writing since I was 13 and working furiously on a fanfic!

*I'm currently custom-making LOTR dollz for one of my websites! I watched the movie again just to put down the exact descriptions of the characters' clothes for it!!

*I'm attempting to make LOTR stationery for myself!

*I'm trying to get Mom hooked on LOTR, as she's a fantasy fanatic, and I know she's going to fall hard for Legolas because he's going to remind her of Link in her much loved "Legend of Zelda" video games! I'm going to get her to make me an Elven cloak and I'm going to buy Elven-looking boots...

*I'm trying to invent hte languages of the story I started when I was 13 that I've abandoned for my fanfic...LOL. I'm even speaking the language as I make it up! I WANNA BE LIKE TOLKIEN!!! He's my idol [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]

*One of my friends loves book Legolas but detests movie Legolas and is always devising ways to torture him, and we have fun spats because of that, and she threatened to track me down and hang me if I was Arwen for Halloween

*Whenever I see mushrooms, I feign Pippin's accent and yell "MUSHROOMS!"

Obsessed? I think not! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 10-10-2002, 09:28 PM   #151
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Diamond18 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

I feel so boring. I like to quote the book or movie, and hang out at the Barrow Downs, but...that's about it. Well, I play the soundtrack music on my piano, I have LotR playing cards, I have LotR music CDs, I'll be getting the extended edition and then I'll watch it whenever I get a chance, I like to mimic Billy Boyd's Scottish accent, but that's about it.
Old 10-11-2002, 04:06 PM   #152
arelendil
Wight

arelendil has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

i have to add the crazyest thing i've ever done
I had a lot of cardboard in my room and soo, turned my little brothers doors in to the doors of moria! My room is elven (kind of) yellow and green with ivy and birds!
i have a tolkien shelf in my room the only place i dust or tidy! all my school books are filled with elven poems and drawings and in french class i insist on writing the date on the board in elvish! Is that enough need i go on...
Old 10-11-2002, 06:51 PM   #153
Eruialiwen
Haunting Spirit

Eruialiwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Eruialiwen
Eye

Yep, I'm starting to write Elvish everywhere too... [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] I'm writing my name in Elvish (...Eruialiwen...) in books, etc. [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 10-11-2002, 09:02 PM   #154
Artanis
Haunting Spirit

Location: The Wild (I just love solar powered computers, don't you?
Artanis has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I bear that name that was given to Galadreil by her father!(did you know that Nerwin means 'Man-madien? *shudders*) It is just the Latin translation, but I think it counts! I also do the ring thing, have a shrine in my room, and have made a solom oath to be a Telcontar in spirit, if not blood. All my friends (they are not Tolkies! [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] )hate me for that...
Old 10-12-2002, 05:24 AM   #155
ilon
Animated Skeleton

ilon has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to ilon
Sting

Obsessive? I'd sometimes rise from bed repeatedly thinking i didn't lock some door and turned off some lights.
Old 10-12-2002, 08:28 AM   #156
gralin musicteeth
Shade of Carn Dûm

Location: Tossing half-sick between grotesque reality and savage, frightening dreams
gralin musicteeth has just left Hobbiton.
Boots

gralin musicteeth is my dwarvish name. nobody seems to like dwarves much, do they?
Old 10-12-2002, 11:22 AM   #157
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Amanaduial the archer has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Amanaduial the archer
Eye

im afraid, and this is a compliment, im not as wierd as you guys. *ducks assortment of flying rocks, tomatoes etc* Hey, i said twas a compliment!

My obsessivity will no doubt flare up when TTT comes out but for now....*sigh*

Still, my nicknames vary and most are LOTRish. Mim (as in a dwarf in the sil, and short for amy), hobbit (im 5ft 1)and elfy (my hairs quite blonde, long and i have a tendency to wear it in a half ponytail. plus i used to do archery.)
Old 10-12-2002, 09:14 PM   #158
Artanis
Haunting Spirit

Location: The Wild (I just love solar powered computers, don't you?
Artanis has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Oh, yeah, I forgot...I have a shrine to LOTR in my room (anyone here live outside the states? They are all Kinder Egg figures! I have only 4, but they are some of my fav charectors...I have Aragorn(got him first!) and Galadreil, and Frodo, and Boromere(don't like him so much, but oh, well) and I tend to babble on and on about my addiction and not use periods, except in groups of 3...
Old 12-28-2002, 08:34 AM   #159
doug*platypus
Delver in the Deep

doug*platypus has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

I'm here aren't I??
Old 12-28-2002, 10:51 AM   #160
Nianna Telmnar
Haunting Spirit

Nianna Telmnar has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Nianna Telmnar
Silmaril

Hmmm...well, the only really odd thing I can think of that I've done is this:
One day me and my friends were sitting at lunch and we assing ME names to all the places on Campus. (admistration was barad-dur, my friends dorm was Rivendel, etc.) then when we had to go anywhere on campus that day, we called it by that name. Hehe. some of the blank stares we got. it was fun.

[ December 28, 2002: Message edited by: Nianna Telmnar ]