The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-22-2014, 07:51 AM   #41
Lotrelf
Shade of Carn Dûm

Lotrelf has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inziladun View Post
As for Potter, one can see some similarities. There's the guiding hand of Dumbledore who, like Gandalf, is the mastermind of the movement against the prime evil force. He, as is Gandalf, is taken away from Harry in a self-sacrifice.
I think also that with Voldemort's Horcruxes there is an element of the One Ring, as those inanimate artifacts have within them a piece of Voldemort's being, and thus have an adverse effect on one who possesses them.
Have you read this?
Quote:
Overall, I like Lord of the Rings. However, I do feel that Tolkien kind of rips offHarry Potterin many ways. There are several parallels, such as elves, dwarfs, wizards, goblins, trolls, magic (especially invisibility), etc. Sauron is referred to as Dark Lord just like Voldemort is. There is also the elder white-haired bearded wizard who serves as a mentor, Gandalf, who is reminiscent of Dumbledore. Some of the character names are similar, such as Wormtongue as opposed to Wormtail, too. There is even a gigantic spider (Shelob) at the end of The Two Towers that reminds one of Aragog from Chamber of Secrets. I even noticed that the plots of both series begin with the protagonists birthday. Now I see that Tolkien, this unoriginal bastard, is coming out withThe Hobbitin December. This would be fine, but why didn't he just write this book first to begin with? I still like Lord of the Rings, though don't get me wrong but I wonder if Tolkien has ever said in interviews whether he borrowed elements fromHarry Potter. I'll be watching the extended DVDs later this week and I think he is featured on the commentary track, so I look forward to that.
I know, it's not good to laugh at others, but this guy has done something that will make anyone laugh at him.
I know this is not a Harry Potter forum, but I don't really see Dumbledore's death as a self sacrifice, like I see Gandalf's. Dumbledore's death is something like for himself i.e. I don't see him being completely selfless. Gandalf dies out of pure sense of duty.

Last edited by Lotrelf; 03-22-2014 at 07:55 AM.
Lotrelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 08:56 AM   #42
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
Lotrelf, I'm pretty sure that's a troll...
Old 03-22-2014, 09:48 AM   #43
Lotrelf
Shade of Carn Dûm

Lotrelf has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerwen View Post
Lotrelf, I'm pretty sure that's a troll...
I think the same. But look at the language this guy has used! "The unoriginal bastard" ? There should be a limit of stupidity, and he seems to have crossed that.
Anyways, There's really a lot in HP that reminds me of LotR. Even the use of words is kinda same.
Old 03-22-2014, 09:56 AM   #44
IxnaY AintsaY
Haunting Spirit

IxnaY AintsaY has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tidesson View Post
Try R. Scott Bakker's trilogy, "The Prince of Nothing."

Once you get finished with that storyline, try his follow up novels, "The Aspect-Emperor," which deals with the world of Ëarwa twenty years later.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prince_of_Nothing

You can get a taste here of Ëarwa's history (Bakker's worldbuilding skill) that in my opinion, rivals Tolkien's Middle-Earth. http://princeofnothing.wikia.com/wiki/Timeline

R. Scott Bakker's Official Website:

http://www.rscottbakker.com/

Here's a forum for his fantasy work, akin to Tolkien's here: http://secondapocalypse.forumer.com/index.php
I'm a huge admirer of Bakker's work in Earwa, beautiful, intricate, and unflawless. Following your timeline link, however, I was reminded again of the similarities between the corruption of Cû’jara-Cinmoi and that of Ar-Pharazon. Both are dark characters who are kings of the most powerful realms of their time. Both apparently humble the enemy of the world, one which has its origins outside of that world. That enemy ultimately seduces both with promises of immortality to destroy themselves and their nations, with enormous consequences to a storyline that occurs thousands of years later.

Just a random thought, not an important one, and in response to a year-old post, no less.

Overall I think Bakker is about as distinct from Tolkien as he could be while still writing fantasy with an elaborate feigned history. I'd say that his work--like some of Moorcock's or Donaldson's--is inspired partly by his reactions against Tolkien though.
IxnaY AintsaY is offline   Reply With Quote