The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-18-2012, 02:49 PM   #1
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
1420! Hobbit Week

This week has been declared "Hobbit Week". Aside from the yearly commemoration of Bilbo and Frodo's birthday(s) on September 22, we are celebrating the publication of "The Hobbit" 75 years ago. And of course we are looking ahead to the Hobbit movie, which will reach the theatres in three months.

So how do you intend to celebrate? Are you planning to invite some fellow Hobbits over for second breakfast this coming Saturday? Will you wear your hairy feet and pointed ears? Or have you even considered (gasp!) joining the current CbC discussions of the book?!

This thread is the place to share your ideas and plans as well as giving information on happenings around the world.
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 03:04 PM   #2
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showpos...9&postcount=17

All being well I will go to the exhibition on Friday before the evening with Brian Sibley et Al.

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 04:45 PM   #3
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Estelyn Telcontar View Post
Are you planning to invite some fellow Hobbits over for second breakfast this coming Saturday?
Actually, yes!!! Don't know yet if it will be second breakfast or tea at four, or whether it will be held in a hobbit hole or at the Green Dragon, but it will be!

I haven't realized that this week is such a special week for the Hobbit. I noticed that the 22nd is coming, but I didn't think to also link this week to other Hobbit-related dates. Thank you for the information and reminder, Esty!
Old 09-19-2012, 04:19 PM   #4
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Boots

What I strongly object to are the flyers for this advertising the tiime for second breakfast as 11am. Er, 11am is Elevenses, not Second Breakfast, which you have sometime between 9 and 10am.

Anyway.

I am going to have pilchards.
Old 09-19-2012, 06:52 PM   #5
blantyr
Wight

blantyr is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Narya Corsair?

But there is a conflict with Speak Like a Pirate Day.

I can't picture Bilbo speaking like a pirate.
blantyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 01:25 PM   #6
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
Hobbits seem to have a West Country-ish accent so there is no clash with speaking like a pirate!
Old 09-20-2012, 02:17 PM   #7
MCRmyGirl4eva
Shade of Carn Dûm

MCRmyGirl4eva has just left Hobbiton.
I wish I had hobbitlike clothes. Unfortynatly, I can't celebrate, though I do write my name in Quenya on all my class papers. Mrs Buckley, my Latin 2 teacher, already knows this and told one of my classmates (he was handing back the homework) "The one that's written in some alien tounge is S******'s."
Old 09-23-2012, 04:01 PM   #8
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Today Wellinghall Smial had a moot in to celebrate Hobbit week/day. We had some delicious hobbit food, read some Hobbit, talked some hobbit, Hobbit, and Hobbit movie, discussed PJ, CJRT, and The Professor, also said a lot of random stuff and had loads of laughs about how to "properly" pronouce names from the legendarium ("Is is Ooo-eeee-nen, Ooo-eee-nen, Winen, Uynen, what?..."). All in all, lots and lots of fun. Oh, and mathoms!

jallanite and myself represented the Toronto Downer community at the moot, and I think we might have convinced another Tolkien fan to join the Downs... We'll have half of Toronto on this site in another couple decades...

PS: we all agree passionately that the Arkenstone is NOT a silmaril!
Old 09-24-2012, 01:17 PM   #9
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
As reported in the I met a Barrow Downer thread, Lalaith and I met at the British Library for The Hobbit at 75 evening and enjoyed the various talks by Jane Johnson (AKA Jude Fisher) Adam Roberts who wrote the Soddit and Sellamillion, publisher David Brawn and of course Brian Sibley who read splendidly as well as having a great well of fascinating anecdotes, David Weeks also gave a very dramatic reading.

I was sorry not to get the chance to speak to him personally but he was being monopolised and I am not sure how coherent I would have been meeting someone whose work I have admired so much and for so long.

Old 10-10-2012, 09:28 AM   #10
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Tom Shippey Hobbit birthday article.

Found this while sorting out the recycling.. missed it on the day!!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/b...g-success.html