The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-10-2004, 07:51 AM   #1
Isowen
Haunting Spirit

Isowen has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril Magical Middle Earth

far too many people try to compare lotr with harry potter. There are a few similarities.
There's that voldemort guy, hes like Sauron in a way
in the first book, theres a stone, in lotr theres a ring, they both have to be hidden from the dark lord.
Theres harry potter, hes young and little, not unlike Frodo.
Well, you get my point, anyway. What I want to know and ask you all is; Could middle-earth be MORE magical than it already is?
Old 08-10-2004, 08:36 AM   #2
Sleepy Ranger
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sleepy Ranger has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Sleepy Ranger Send a message via MSN to Sleepy Ranger Send a message via Yahoo to Sleepy Ranger
Magical ME

Quoting from David Colbert's The Magical World of the Lord of the Rings

Quote:
Far too many people try to compare J.R.R Tolkien and J.K Rowling, just because both of them tell stories about imaginary worlds inhabited by wizards. Not much about their stories is similar. Harry Potter lives in a world full of magic: spells, wands, potions and flying broomsticks. In Tolkien's world, the wizards (and others) perform very little magic. In fact, Tolkien denies that magic is important in his world.
Theres a whole chapter on this and it ultimately says that there can be no more magic in ME, and that its not exactly magic in the first place. If you'd ike I'll give you some interesting parts of that chapter. But as far as I'm concerned LoTR needed no more magic than it already possesed.
Old 08-10-2004, 10:10 AM   #3
Gelmir
Haunting Spirit

Gelmir has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Gelmir
Pipe Harry Potter campaired to LotR

What! How can you compare LotR to Harry snotter? For one, LotR has a reason for why it's there, HP doesn't, and LotR is actually interesting, and not for babies who can say, I read really long book, me clever! It makes me so Mad, I want to eat somebody's head off!

Last edited by Gelmir; 08-10-2004 at 10:12 AM. Reason: N/A
Gelmir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2004, 10:15 AM   #4
Morsul the Dark
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Pipe

Well perhaps HP is more children oriented than LOTR but I know plenty of teenagers (myself included(just look at my avvie)) that are fond of it...and there was magic in LOTR even if it was minor Gandalf uses his staff to light dark places
Old 08-10-2004, 11:23 AM   #5
Isowen
Haunting Spirit

Silmaril

Gelmir, I apologize, I wasn't exactly agreeing with the comparison, so don't yell! It's fine, I hate it when people compare lotr to harry potter, though you must admit, there are SOME similarities, however small they are.
And I must get that book. Thankyou sleepy ranger, it sounds good.

Last edited by Isowen; 08-10-2004 at 01:15 PM.
Isowen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2004, 03:33 PM   #6
Gelmir
Haunting Spirit

Thumbs up No! I sorwee

I sorry, I got worked up, I just think Hp is kinda Irritating. You're free to go! LOL, any hoo, carry on carry on. No harm done, right . I hope, you don't hate me, I'll stop before I get over excited.

Last edited by Gelmir; 08-10-2004 at 03:35 PM. Reason: For a full stop
Old 08-10-2004, 06:11 PM   #7
Voralphion
Shade of Carn Dûm

Voralphion has just left Hobbiton.
White Tree

Quote:
Theres harry potter, hes young and little, not unlike Frodo
Actually quite unlike Frodo, Frodo was fifty and so wasn't young the fact he was small was due to his race, not due to the fact he is juvenile like Harry Potter.
Were mirrored in his silver shield
Voralphion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2004, 07:23 PM   #8
Kransha
Ubiquitous Urulóki

Location: The port of Mars, where Famine, Sword, and Fire, leash'd in like hounds, crouch for employment
Kransha has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Kransha
Magic, Magick, & Majik

Hoom, hoom, hoom. My first post outside of the RPG Forums in a while...well...

I believe, au technicale, Harry Potter is 'more 'magical'' (that's double single quotation marks, for those of you not following me). Based on my younger brother and some of his friend's encouragement, I read the series in seven days (pretty good, non? Re-reading LotR every year has made me a fast reader). It was a nice, adventurous, interesting sort of tale, but nothing I loved. Something I merely enjoyed, and have left it behind since. In fact, I was surprised it was endorsed by my brother because he usually condemns non-Tolkien fantasy as a rip-off, in whatever way he can find. Knowledgable lad, but a bit prejudicial (he'll probably read this someday, but it wouldn't matter, since I've told him before).

Point being: 'Magic' per se is more rampant in HP. Wizards, spellcasters, hippogriffs, dementors, and the like, are more magical. The reason lies in the fact that, despite Tolkien being fantastic, fantasy, as it were, it is also strangely realistic, with a sort of pseudo-historical, epic quality that draws us in and makes us think it might be more real than imagined. No matter how much we love HP, or at least me, (actually, I don't love it, but that's irrelevant), it is magic, farfetched, illusory. Waving wands and chanting magic words is still a stereotype, no matter how much J.K.Rowling has enriched it. Tolkien wrote these things down before they were common, before they were fantasy, and created a world for us to fall into, rather than one that 'already exists' but is 'seperated from us' (I'd rather be a man than a muggle anyday).

In many ways, the Harry Potter franchise is illuminating, but, it's creatures are fantastic, it's methods more friendly towards the younger set. Yes, Balrogs and Dragons fall into the same category, but they have some incredible depth to them that is more than Rowing's description can do for her bestiary. In the world of Harry Potter, Dementors are semi-evil guards who can drain the lives of their victims, often residents of a large prison (correct me if I'm wrong). There is some eeriness there, but the Nazgul outdo them. Once men, the Ringwraiths fell into shadow, were consumed by it. Now they are the pinnacle of Sauron's evil, his power, and weild the same 'kiss' as the Dementors, in the form of there deadly, wraith-turning-into Morgul blades. I am not quite obsessed with HP, but I know this much.

In conclusion (and hoping this is not off topic), the magic of Tolkien is almost real, tangible, and spiritual, while the spiritual magic of HP is all but illusory, kind of like a fantasy placebo, but that would be insulting to Rowling, who I respect. Magic comes in many forms, and the magic of Tolkien's Middle-Earth is enough for me.

-Aeschylus, Song of the Furies
Kransha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2004, 11:36 AM   #9
Isowen
Haunting Spirit

Silmaril

well, we certainly have a lot of magic don't we? Gelmir, that's ok, I know what you mean and I don't hate you.
And isn't fifty sort of young in hobbit-years, I am not exactly what you would call learned but I was trying to excavate any possible similarities, and not be particularly accurate.
Old 08-11-2004, 12:46 PM   #10
Gelmir
Haunting Spirit

Pipe Hmm, I think not.

Well, fifty is not young or old it's.. More middle aged, well for a Hobbit (if wrong, I'll understand if you shout). It's thirty odd when you become of age, or is it twenty odd, smur*. I'm never quite sure these days, ah well!SO I say, no, fifty isn't young, well, that's opinion. you?

Smur means this: It doesn't matter, nope, it doesn't matter.
I don't know, I just like to say it, oh and by the way it's pronouced this way: Smur, that's how, it's spelt the same it's pronouced.
Old 08-11-2004, 08:37 PM   #11
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

Encaitare is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
The reason there are so many similarities between HP and LotR is because Tolkien did everything. You can find echoes of LotR in most fantasy works simply due to the fact that Tolkien has influenced so many writers. I can understand comparing them to an extent, but they're just so different that I hate it when hardcore HP fans bash LotR for no apparant reason. The people at the Downs are so much more friendly than the people at the Internet Movie Database boards!

And Gelmir, a hobbit comes of age at 33, so 50 is not old, but it's not a particularly dapper age to be either
Encaitare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 01:37 AM   #12
ohtatyaro
Wight

ohtatyaro has just left Hobbiton.
Besides, IMO, firstly we have do define 'magic'. I mean, they are different 'magics' in HP and LoTR, I don't think they (magics) can be compared at all
Old 08-12-2004, 08:22 AM   #13
Isowen
Haunting Spirit

Silmaril

Yey! finally someone who agrees with me on this!
Old 08-12-2004, 06:44 PM   #14
Lady Gamgee
Animated Skeleton

Lady Gamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

I for one do not like Harry Potter. And to compare the 2 in the slightest way is an injustice to LOTR. With HP, it's just like a bunch of kids playing around and having fun with magic. LOTR on the other hand, can make you think it's real, like there really is a ME with Hobbits and Elves and such. I watched the 1st 2 HP movies, and needless to say, I was highly disappointed, even though I thought Haggard was pretty cool ... that's his name, right?? Anyhow, Tolkien knows how to grab & hold you with his work, and PJ helped bring it all to life.
Old 08-12-2004, 07:34 PM   #15
Lhundulinwen
Wight

Lhundulinwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Lhundulinwen Send a message via MSN to Lhundulinwen Send a message via Yahoo to Lhundulinwen
Silmaril

I read hp before LOTR. (Notice the capitalizations...) I like hp still, but after LOTR... well, after reading that book that is your absolute favorite, the one that changes your life, nothing else can compare. LOTR and hp both deal with good and evil, but LOTR, to me, deals with it in a much more complex way. hp is a book directed at children (but children are not its only audience) and therefore has more frivolous, fanciful, magical parts. LOTR does not have many if any 'childish' scenes. The Hobbit, on the other hand, is directed at children too. The goal of the Hobbit is much lighter than LOTR, and seems to me more magical. (Think of Bert (that was his name, right?) the giant compared to the giants in LOTR) LOTR is much deeper and complex and deals with issues in layers, while hp's morals are laid out and more obvious. I will buy the next 2 hp books, but nothing will ever (EVER) top LOTR. But that's just me...
Old 08-12-2004, 07:59 PM   #16
Laitoste
Wight

Laitoste has just left Hobbiton.
Shield It isn't THAT bad!

Okay, first of all, I really do enjoy Harry Potter. They are excellently written, amusing books (the fifth one makes me so mad at the characters that I often find myself walking away to calm down! Tell me that's not well written.). But, I think they cater to different audiences. After I had read Harry Potter and LotR, I thought, "Hey, this is really cool! The Wizard of Oz is fantasy for little kids, Harry Potter is for older kids, and The Lord of the Rings is for teenages and adults!" Not to say that people can't read them whenever they want, of course.

Finally, I don't think that Harry Potter and The Lord of the Rings are comparable. They are about completely different subjects. They have different types of characters, different plots, and different settings. There may be a few similarities (Wormtongue-->Wormtail?), and the themes are similar, but for the most part, they're completely different.
Old 08-13-2004, 03:20 AM   #17
Isowen
Haunting Spirit

Silmaril

I do like the hp books, but they tend to get boring, but lets keep it about Tolkien. I really wanted to know what your OPINIONS were, rather than if you think LOTR could be compared to hp.
Sorry, I just thought that we were straying off track a little, soooo lets get back to Tolkien please.

Lhundulinwen, very well said thankyou and I agree muchly (is that a word?!?!)
Laitoste, also well said etc. And good point about Wormtail and Wormtongue.
keep it coming........
Old 08-14-2004, 04:45 PM   #18
Silmiel of Imladris
Shade of Carn Dûm

Silmiel of Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Silmiel of Imladris
I am going to get it for this, but I stop caring. Actually as I see it Hp and Lotr can be compared in some ways and here they are. Each author spent a lot of time studying mythology for there creations. Every creator in both Lotr and HP can be found some were in mythology. For example elves were believed to live on this earth once but they accended to a higher plane aka go into the west and dissapeared forever. In HP Nicholas Fammel was an actual alchemist who lived from 1330 to 1418. Did he turn lead into gold? No one knows except that he died very very rich. So Tolkien didn't just make stuff up and Rowling didn't just make stuff up and that is why I love them both so much for they expand on a history we already have.

Figwit on his name: Are you suggesting that I have the wit of a fig?
Silmiel of Imladris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2004, 05:19 PM   #19
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

Encaitare is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Interesting, Silmiel, I didn't know that Nicholas Flamel was a real person! My respect for JK Rowling just increased a notch.

Back to the original question: "Could Middle-earth be more magical than it already is?" Well, as someone said already, there are different types of magic. There's the HP-style, wave your wand and say a couple of magic words and get instant results type of magic, and then there's the magic of Gandalf's intagible inner power, and there's the magical power of Saruman's voice... etc etc.

As I see it, the magic of Harry Potter is more fanciful. The magic of the Lord of the Rings is more subtle but so much more powerful. I mean, come on. Gandalf would so own Dumbledore in a fight. Or he could pull his Denethor moves and just bludgeon Dumbledore to death (Such a massive departure from the book but amusing all the same )
Encaitare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2004, 01:57 PM   #20
Isowen
Haunting Spirit

Silmaril yes indeedy!

hmmmmm good point, I am thinking you are right Encaitare, both types of magic (in lotr and hp) are very interesting and we cannot determine which is more realistic, for I don't believe anyone can say, or I am horribly mistaken. Which I usually am.