The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Quiz Room
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-09-2007, 11:21 AM   #761
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
No, no, the killing part was also true, but it referred to something else. The Rohirric-family part is the most difficult about it, obviously, but this is ultimately what lead me to forming the question.
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 03:01 PM   #762
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Maybe that their sons killed Orc chieftains whose heads were separated from their bodies
I believe Golfmbul's head fell down a rabbit hole, while Azog's and Ugluk's were set on stakes.
Old 05-04-2007, 04:17 PM   #763
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Seems you heeded my advice

Good, good. The killing of Orc leaders was sufficient. Now it's your turn, so I hope you'll present something interesting and brain-racking, so that I have things to do for late nights!
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Old 05-05-2007, 04:34 AM   #764
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Now this one is really an interesting one:
What do Faramir, Sam and Frodo have in common?
Old 05-05-2007, 05:45 AM   #765
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

I don't know, being in Henneth Annun? I suppose it's something that really no one else has, right?
Old 05-05-2007, 08:43 AM   #766
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

No...btw, the correct list is
Faramir, Frodo, Sam and men of the White Mountains

Last edited by The Might; 05-05-2007 at 08:47 AM.
The Might is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 08:58 AM   #767
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

And Beregond not? (just checking one thing that popped up in my mind)
Old 05-05-2007, 09:14 AM   #768
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

no
But please mention that thing; it might be it is what I had in mind, but that I overlooked Beregon (though I doubt it).
That way we could avoid making this a very long thread.
Old 05-05-2007, 09:35 AM   #769
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

I thought that it might have had something to do with being given mercy, or a certain privilege, by the King, and hereditable, at best. But I guess that's off track...
Old 05-05-2007, 10:24 AM   #770
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

No, since others such as Hama had suffered the same fate
This thing is, as far as we know, only reserved to them.
Old 05-05-2007, 10:28 AM   #771
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

I suppose you mean Faramir as the brother of Boromir and son of Denethor, that one Frodo&Sam met in Henneth Annun, right? Just for confirmation.

EDIT: And, to not make the thread too long - by the "Men of the White Mountains", you mean all Men of the White Mountains, or just the Dead of Dunharrow? (and/or their ascendants?)

Last edited by Legate of Amon Lanc; 05-05-2007 at 10:36 AM.
Old 05-06-2007, 08:05 AM   #772
narfforc
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

narfforc has been trapped in the Barrow!
Their mothers are dead.
Old 05-07-2007, 10:25 AM   #773
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

No, since there are many more whose mothers are dead
As I said, this is only restricted to them as far as I know.
Old 05-08-2007, 11:36 AM   #774
narfforc
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

They weren't at The Black Gates.
Old 05-08-2007, 11:38 AM   #775
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

Just like Thranduil, Celeborn, Ghan-buri-ghan and many others.
As I said, this thing is, as far as I know, ONLY restricted to them.
Old 05-09-2007, 07:26 AM   #776
narfforc
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

The Staves made of Lebethron.
Old 05-09-2007, 07:52 AM   #777
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by narfforc
The Staves made of Lebethron.
Well, but are you sure the Men of the White Mountains had them as well?

I thought about several things, had the Men of the White Mountains not been there...

Could it be that they understood Aragorn was King before he was officially made the King? I think not, but I really can't make anything better
Old 05-09-2007, 08:01 AM   #778
narfforc
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

'I have no fitting gifts to give you at our parting,' said Faramir; but take these staves. They may be of service to those who walk or climb in the wild. The men of the White Mountains use them...........

I don't know if anyone else uses them but it is a link.
Old 05-09-2007, 09:27 AM   #779
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

narfforc is correct
Old 05-19-2007, 09:58 AM   #780
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

Question

Okay, ten days are gone...
So does anyone else have a good one?...I don't
Old 05-28-2007, 07:16 AM   #781
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

What do Fram and Thingol have in common?
Old 05-28-2007, 11:03 AM   #782
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Being killed by Dwarves because of some issue with a necklace?
Old 05-29-2007, 05:02 AM   #783
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

Thumbs up

yes
Old 05-29-2007, 02:30 PM   #784
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

White-Hand

What do the Gondorian stewards of Isengard and Galadriel have in common?
Old 05-29-2007, 03:05 PM   #785
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

Maybe that they ruled over people of a different folk then their own.
Galadriel was one of the Noldor, ruling over Silvan Elves.
The chieftains of Isengard were Gondorians ruling over people with mixed blood, partly Dunlending.
Old 05-29-2007, 03:07 PM   #786
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Hmm, hmm, sure, but for example Thranduil also did that... try to focus another direction.
Old 07-25-2007, 12:50 PM   #787
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

Well the chieftains were left in charge after the lords of Gondor left that area, just as Galadriel came to Lothlorien after Amroth disappeared.
Old 07-25-2007, 01:54 PM   #788
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

That's not much good answer. The Stewards were appointed by Gondor, and were still the same folk. No, no, I had something different in mind.

Try to think about Rohirrim (in both cases).
Old 07-25-2007, 01:56 PM   #789
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

Ah...maybe that the Rohirrim lived close to Lorien in earlier times, and later close to the chieftains of Isengard?
Old 07-26-2007, 09:22 AM   #790
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Might View Post
Ah...maybe that the Rohirrim lived close to Lorien in earlier times, and later close to the chieftains of Isengard?
Hmm, no, not exactly. The Rohirrim hardly lived near Lórien, their home was far too northwards... think something else.
Old 07-30-2007, 06:04 AM   #791
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

Maybe that they helped the Rohirrim.
The chieftains by keeping watch over the northwest of Rohan and by keeping any evil Dunlanders out (at least for a while) and Galadriel by providing Eorl and his host with a protective cloud of mist so they could pass unseen near Dol Guldur.
Old 07-30-2007, 01:51 PM   #792
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Well, that was quite short-term. And the protection was not much... both Lórien and Isengard cared mainly for themselves. Try to look from another point of view...
Old 09-03-2007, 03:30 PM   #793
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

Well, I won't give up..yet
I suppose they both had for a certain period the Dunlanders as neighbours...
Old 09-04-2007, 06:24 AM   #794
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

No, no....

Okay, let's repeat it... Isengarders and Galadriel (personally)... what do they have in common... and think from the point of view of the Rohirrim.

Now THAT was the biggest hint I could ever give...
Old 09-27-2007, 10:36 AM   #795
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

omg, I can't believe it's been almost 4 months since you first asked this...lol

Anyway...new idea...they suspected them of witchcraft and dark magic

I only now had the idea the answer might not be in LotR, but UT and so it was...I guess.
Old 09-27-2007, 10:44 AM   #796
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Yup, that's it, being accused of witchcraft. Take over, please.
Old 09-29-2007, 07:07 AM   #797
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

What do Treebeard and the Witch-king have in common?

(could well be they have more then just this, but what I'm looking for is quite obscure)

Oh, and a good hint: the answer is to be fund in Tolkien's works
Old 09-29-2007, 10:57 AM   #798
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

What about that they spoke with Saruman?
Old 09-29-2007, 11:30 AM   #799
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

Thumbs up

Well, you're almost there.
I was hoping it would take you longer.
Old 09-29-2007, 11:53 AM   #800
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Then that they were both charmed by his voice to leave Saruman alone for the moment.