The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > The Barrow-Downs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-21-2007, 10:31 AM   #1
Sauron the White
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sauron the White has just left Hobbiton.
Whats up with infractions?

If this is not the right place for this please move it.

In the last week I have received two notices that I was being hit with two infractions. One was for being off topic when I responded to statements by another poster. It was not mae clear if that poster also was honored with the same infraction I was awarded. Then I just got another one for being sarcastic when I was being humorous.

So what happens next?

What are the written guidelines on this so I can stay out of the woodshed?

Who can give these things and what is the criteria?
Sauron the White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 12:28 PM   #2
Elmo
Pittodrie Poltergeist

Elmo has just left Hobbiton.
How does one know when these infractions are given? (I hope we don't get one for posting on this thread, Sauron getting one would be especially ironic )
Old 10-21-2007, 11:27 PM   #3
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to the phantom
Eye

These aren't the "written guidelines", but still useful....

A bit of combativeness can be overlooked if you're very right.

A bit of wrongness can be overlooked if you're very non-combative.

But if you're both wrong and combative... you're asking for it.

Old 10-22-2007, 02:06 AM   #4
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Infractions are a relatively new feature on the Downs, effective since the last update. Only moderators and administrators can give infractions. Infractions are given for failing to comply with forum rules; the following things can be the cause:

excessive chattiness
off-topic (Non-Tolkien) posting
inappropriate language
insulting other member(s)
spammed advertisement

If you receive an infraction, you will also get a PM explaining the cause. One infraction has no immediate results except in the case of spamming. The first two reasons receive the lowest number of points, the last one the highest.

Anyone who posts respectfully, whether humorously or thoughtfully, need not fear infractions. They are normally reserved for repeated offences except in the case of spamming. Spam results in immediate infraction and banning.

If you have received an infraction and wonder why, it may be a good idea to brush up on forum rules and policies on following threads:

Barrow-Downs FAQ
Barrow-Downs Forum Policies
Guidelines for Forum Posting

Here are a couple of pertinent passages from the latter thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Estelyn Telcontar View Post
6. Give your opinion on the issue, not on the other persons involved in the debate. Personal insults are not allowed, and putting a winking smilie or “j/k” behind them doesn’t necessarily make them more palatable.

8. Accept the fact that others have different opinions. Read them and think about them – you just might learn something! If you don’t agree, just state your own opinion; you don’t have to correct everyone else’s or argue until they agree with you.

9. If you don’t like the direction a thread has taken, move on! There are so many others for you to enjoy.

10. And finally, don’t take yourself or the Barrow-Downs too seriously! Does it really matter if you win an argument? We are all here to have fun!
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'

Last edited by Estelyn Telcontar; 10-22-2007 at 02:14 AM.
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 08:59 AM   #5
Sauron the White
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sauron the White has just left Hobbiton.
Estelyn

thank you for the info.

One more area of questions please. Are these infractions public or are they private? When I check my profile they pop up there. Can any member check on any other member to see if they received infractions?
Sauron the White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 11:37 AM   #6
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sauron the White

When your profile is viewed, infractions are visible to moderators and admininstrators only, not to other members.

~*~ piosenniel