The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > The Barrow-Downs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-20-2006, 07:54 AM   #1
Lalwendė
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Tolkien Tolkien Events 2007

It's time to start thinking about next year, the 30th anniversary of the publication of the Silmarillion, and naturally, there are events planned. Here is a list of some interesting ones, including a course by Colin Duriez (who lectures in Tolkien at University of Central Lancashire) in Keswick and an interesting event run by Heren Istarion (no, not that H-I, but the US based smial) in Brooklyn, New York.

Any more delights to add to a list?

I doubt there will be another 'Oxford Tolkien Conference' as the expensive one put on at Exeter College last year was I hear very sparsely attended (as few as 30 from someone I know who went) and the general 'theme' did not go down well.

Of course, Oxonmoot will be on again, this time from 14th -16th September, but in Lady Margaret Hall where its to be hoped they get the food quantities correct at the banquet and actually do have some quiet bedrooms this year. This is incidentally where Priscilla went and Tolkien rated the college highly above the other women's colleges. It's more out of town, but near the river and also has parking so no need to add to greedy Branson's pockets by travelling on his cruddy trains. You will also get to meet me, davem, narfforc and hopefully Mithalwen again. Temptation enough, methinks.
Old 12-20-2006, 01:03 PM   #2
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

HerenIstarion is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to HerenIstarion
Indeed, you have the wrong chap there, yer honour, it ain't me, never been there, never done that... I know, I know, I've been framed, yer honour, now haven't been I?...

To be honest, I was surprised to find that herenistarion@yahoo.com has been taken when I opted for one 6 years back, as I've only found about NY HerenIstarion (herenistarion.org, I believe) only following the nick choice for the Downs forum, not prior to aforesaid choice

Though I doubt I'll be able to come over for Oxonmoot (though I know I will one day), I'll be hunting news and would be glad to read reports by those of us to attend the events

- Would you believe in the love at first sight?
- Yes I'm certain that it happens all the time!
HerenIstarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 01:23 PM   #3
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Boots Quick! Surround Africa!

I am a tad disappointed to see so few events taking place in Merry ol' England. Oh well. I can say, quite firmly, that I shall be going to Oxonmoot this year... yes. Not even if Satan himself and his demonic hordes try to stop me.

Maybe I was a tad too over eager.

But yes. If there is news on British events, you know, ones that folks like me can actually go to, then I'd appreciate it and give onto thee many piles of gold and such.
Old 12-20-2006, 01:31 PM   #4
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
DVWP I shall go to Oxonmoot at least for the day again.. may even stay up though I am not sure that having had the in hall experience I won't opt for the travelodge - v handy for Wolvercote.

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 02:17 PM   #5
Lalwendė
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Thumbs up

Mr Hookbill - those are only the ones the TS have advertised. Thinking about it, there must be some more as I read about some not that long ago. I shall have to go and consult me source and get some more posted up...

Now Oxonmoot is exceedingly student friendly as it's quite simply cheap! Even cheaper if you join the TS (£20 a year and you also get both Amon Hen and Mallorn sent to your house, fab journals both). The accommodations can be made even cheaper by opting not to have certain meals in college, and of course college bars are reasonable too for the essential pint. It's also got that lovely Dealers' Room....and where else can you pranny about like a Hobbit or a Balrog? You have to come along as then there will be three Lancastrians in the gang. Could go to the party as Bert, Tom and William.

No need to go for Travelodge Mithalwen, as if you stay, you get Enyalie thrown in for free, coaches will take you to Wolvercote. I thought at first it might not be nice going to Tolkien's grave in a group but its wonderful. Everyone has time to pay respects and sharing in the remembrance is really touching.

Anyway, no way could any room be worse than the one I had at Somerville. Concrete block with blood stained curtains and school-style shared toilets. No lift and on the third floor. Not good when full of cider but I was lucky enough to have thought on to bring along me manservant to carry me bags. And I'm taking Industrial earplugs.
Old 12-20-2006, 02:24 PM   #6
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalwendė
No need to go for Travelodge Mithalwen, as if you stay, you get Enyalie thrown in for free, coaches will take you to Wolvercote. I thought at first it might not be nice going to Tolkien's grave in a group but its wonderful. Everyone has time to pay respects and sharing in the remembrance is really touching.

Actually was thinking more that thravelodge would have private bathroom and a bigger bed and telly - probably wouldn't do Enyalie anyway since though I was moved going to the grave I feel I wouldn't want to go in a group..seems a bit odd... but hte travel lodge is also handy for nipping up to Bicester Village or up to have a walk round the grounds of Blenheim palace....

actually you are beginning to put me off .... I have just remembered the foot wig people ....

Old 12-20-2006, 02:29 PM   #7
Lalwendė
A Mere Boggart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithalwen
Actually was thinking more that thravelodge would have private bathroom and a bigger bed and telly - probably wouldn't do Enyalie anyway since though I was moved going to the grave I feel I wouldn't want to go in a group..seems a bit odd... but hte travel lodge is also handy for nipping up to Bicester Village or up to have a walk round the grounds of Blenheim palace....

actually you are beginning to put me off .... I have just remembered the foot wig people ....
Oh don't worry about the foot-mirkin-folk, they are just one of those things to keep the majority entertained. You have to stay anyway as Alex Lewis will be in full flow later on and I can't describe this so you have to experience it....

Book early enough and you can get private bathrooms or ones shared in a set of two rooms.

Now I thought the same as you about Enyalie but I was surprised at how great it felt to be with all these fellow nutters just paying tribute. It might have been the best thing about it, after meeting people!

Oh and some more dos:

4th Annual Tolkien conference 14th- 16th April in Vermont, USA. I've only got this mailing list info though.

Into The West, University of Utah, April 28th. This looks like fun!

A Tolkien/Lewis Christian event , 18th March, Berkshire UK. Not sure if this will be 'big' following on from the failure of the similar event at Exeter last year.

Last edited by Lalwendė; 12-20-2006 at 02:38 PM.
Lalwendė is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 02:53 PM   #8
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Well, England is the home Tolkien Society, of course, but the German Tolkien Society has its activities coming up in 2007 as well, and I'm looking forward to taking part!

The Tolkien Seminar will be taking place from May 4 - 6 in Jena, with the "minor works" being the featured theme - I am very much looking forward to that! Especially as I have suggested a paper on a certain topic, and am working on a quilt with the same idea.

The annual meeting, called the Tolkien Thing ('Thing' meaning a gathering/meeting and/or the location at which it takes place in Old German) will be from July 13 - 15 in the castle in Diez. It has been renovated and is now a backpackers' accommodation, very nice, with an historic feel to it - fancy dress costumes look right at home there! Alan Lee was the guest of honor last year, and though we don't have Tolkien's grave, we do have a lot of great people to make the event special!

I did enjoy meeting Lal, davem, and narfforc in Birmingham last year; I also had my first contact with members of the GTS there and decided to get actively involved in the country which is my home.

If any German-speaking members would like more information, check out the DTG site.
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 03:49 PM   #9
Lalwendė
A Mere Boggart

So you get two 'Oxonmoots' in Germany! Actually, the UK TS do a seminar too but it's not over a whole weekend, just one day.

Which reminds me...

Sarehole Tolkien Weekend

The Tolkien weekend, which is free, is on at the Shire Country Park, Birmingham, 19th & 20th May. Apparently its good fun, plenty of events such as weaponry displays etc, and the TS always have a stall there. You might even get to see Bob Blackham who wrote The Roots of Tolkien's Middle Earth - very entertaining and interesting bloke.
Old 12-28-2006, 06:37 PM   #10
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Shield

unfortunately my age wouldn't allow me to travel very far, I don't think my old Gaffer would understand...
are there any meets a little closer to my home perhaps Estelyn...NRW perhaps ?
Old 12-28-2006, 07:35 PM   #11
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
I was actually planing on going to this years Oxonmoot, but as I am planing on going on a longer trip in most of august and as University starts in September I doubt I will be able to go.

First of all my work probably won't give me more vacation, maybe I could get some one to cover for me though. . .

then there is the money issue. . I will probably have used up most funds at september and I am also going to England for Christmas next year. . .

That reminds me. . .I am thinking about going maybe 1 week before christmas, if people are not too busy then I could drop by. This is especially a message to Narfforc as out meeting this year failed. . .

arrgh I really want to go. . .hmm maybe, I have to see if I can work something out.

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 02:31 AM   #12
Lalwendė
A Mere Boggart

If you can scrape the pennies together Rune, Oxonmoot's cheap (so long as you keep out of the dealers' room! And, er, the pub...). Plus if you wanted to stay in Oxford a bit longer there's a great guest house - Isis Guest House - near Magdalen and the Botanical Gardens, who do rooms from a very low price (some have shared bathrooms, which are much cheaper), but it's only open July-September because it's a student lodging for St Edmund Hall.
Old 12-30-2006, 08:13 AM   #13
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
Keeping out of the PUB is not something I think I could do. . . .When I am abroad I tend to end up in Bars quite often.

and I would love to stay for long, but I could not. I should have school to tend to at that time. . .

anywas thanks for the recomendations Lal, I aprichiate it.

Last edited by Rune Son of Bjarne; 01-25-2007 at 10:28 PM.
Old 01-25-2007, 09:40 PM   #14
Farael
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: In hospitals, call rooms and (rarely) my apartment.
Farael has just left Hobbiton.
There is some sort of free Seminar on Tolkien's Mythology at the University of Winnipeg on March 9th. I'm fairly sure I'm the only Winnipeger here in the 'downs, but if any of you happens to be from Slurpee Capital as well (or if any of you are traveling here early March) you can find more information at www.uwinnipeg.ca If you can't find it, feel free to ask me!
Old 01-26-2007, 06:10 AM   #15
Holbytlass
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Holbytlass has just left Hobbiton.
The Vermont one is closer to me and is during my birthday but the Utah one would be great for a chance to meet Mormegil and Nimrodel!

Dealers' room? Is that gambling or extra high priced items?
Old 02-14-2007, 06:38 AM   #16
The Squatter of Amon Rūdh
Spectre of Decay

The Squatter of Amon Rūdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Squatter of Amon Rūdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Send a message via AIM to The Squatter of Amon Rūdh
Pipe Underadvertising

I'm surprised to hear that there was a Tolkien event in Exeter last year, since I only live a few miles from Exeter these days and I heard nothing about it. Since there was a definite Christian element I'd expect to have heard something from my sister, who hears about religious events from the parish church grapevine, but no. It looks as though they relied on advertising to Tolkien groups, who are unlikely to respond in large numbers for the usual reasons.

The Sarehole weekend looks interesting, and Oxenmoot is achievable; such a shame that I can't put together a party.
Old 02-14-2007, 10:57 AM   #17
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rune Son of Bjarne

First of all my work probably won't give me more vacation, maybe I could get some one to cover for me though. . .
arrgh I really want to go. . .hmm maybe, I have to see if I can work something out.

It Is a weekend though Rune ..but you may work weekends - I enjoyed my daytrip, though I hope to stay at least Saturday night this year.. Oxford is very accesibel if you could get a cheapo flight ..... maybe...

Old 02-15-2007, 07:38 PM   #18
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

I work every other sunday. . . .and friday from 7pm until 1 am.

The other week I have a long weekend though.

I have heard that a new low price flight will open between Copenhagen and Newcastle, which is perfect for when I want to visit my family in Richmond. I better check how the Newcastle-Oxford could be aranged.

I know this is not really an event, but tomorrow I will be attending a LotR movie marathon at the Imperial movie theater.

Old 02-26-2007, 08:45 PM   #19
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

I just found out that a flight to London should only be around 50-70£. . .so it should be possible to go if school does not come in the way.

Now I just need to find out how much a train ticket is from Stansted to Oxford and who else is going. As much as I love to be Tolkien Geeky I doubt I will be going if there is no prospect of meeting downers. . .

So who is planing on going to the Oxonmoot?

Old 02-27-2007, 01:03 AM   #20
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
So who is planing on going to the Oxonmoot?
I are seriously going!

The last time I tried I was annoyed to find that I couldn't but not this time! NOT THIS TIME! *runs to the hills*
Old 02-27-2007, 03:21 AM   #21
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Coaches will be cheaper and run 24/7

http://www.londontoolkit.com/travel/stanstead_rail.htm

and probabaly also cheaper from London to Oxford. They will take longer especially at rush hour though.

I am planning on going at least for the lectures and I probably will stay Saturday night though if it is only Saturday I may make my own arrangements for accomodation.

Old 04-13-2007, 01:12 PM   #22
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Call to arms.... well pens

http://www.tolkiensociety.org/oxon/2007/Info.html

Shall we persuade Dave to do one so I don't get caught in one that turned out to discuss the significance of the a bit of the film I missed because it during my dash to the loo about 2.5 hrs + trailers and a cinema small (ie bucket sized ) drink in. Even the consolation of Murray Smith getting impassioned and sounding just like Feargal Keane wasn't quite enough to help.

And since they have 20 minute slots... well I'd love to expound my theories about Blondes having more fun in ME but I am not sure I could cope with Murray Smith getting impassioned and Feargal Keanlike as he tore my paper apart .....

Actually the Cambridge Seminar sounds interesting ..and I have never been to the Other Place....

Last edited by Mithalwen; 04-13-2007 at 02:02 PM.
Old 04-13-2007, 01:56 PM   #23
narfforc
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

narfforc has been trapped in the Barrow!
I always go to Oxonmoot, we should all try and get together for one Barrowdowns picture at least.
Old 04-13-2007, 02:01 PM   #24
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Only if I take it. I never have my photograph taken ..it adds at least a stone in weight but would take my soul away. That's a double whammy and so just plain unfair....

Old 04-13-2007, 02:03 PM   #25
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

I vote for letting some random non-downer take it. . .It would be a fun photo especially since we would need to constraint Mith

Old 04-13-2007, 02:06 PM   #26
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Only one answer to that...

Have a go if you think you're hard enough....

Old 04-14-2007, 09:03 AM   #27
narfforc
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eye see you

Hey Mithalwen just wear some dark shades (not anything like a Ringwraith), keep your eyes closed and you won't know you've had your photo taken, and what's more you won't see it.

.Until it's too late

Old 04-15-2007, 05:22 AM   #28
narfforc
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Lucky,lucky meeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

I'm off to Moreton-in-Marsh next weekend to see Alan Lee and Ted Nasmith, next month I'm off to Sarehole Mill for the Tolkien weekend, I'm going to The Musical in London and of course to Oxonmoot, my orkbeaker runneth over
Old 04-16-2007, 10:56 AM   #29
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

I won't go if I have to have my picture taken But I do have an excellent black rider mask so if I dye afew sheets black and wear my ankle breaking platform shoes... I could disguise myself as a nazgul..

I have Agent Smith Matrix shades so the alternative would be hobbits are a virus..

Old 05-06-2007, 02:16 PM   #30
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
I just got back from an absolutely wonderful German Tolkien Seminar, filled to the brim with interesting talks by international speakers - including yours truly on "The Autobiographical Tolkien". We had gorgeous weather in a charming city, Jena, and the people were fascinating to meet/remeet. So many of them have said they'll be at Oxonmoot that I am seriously considering going this year; now that I know the German society members and a number of others, it would be fun to see them again - to say nothing of the Downers, of course!
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Old 05-06-2007, 08:29 PM   #31
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
That is SO great, Esty. I would have loved to hear your remarks!
Old 05-07-2007, 04:24 AM   #32
narfforc
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

You must come to Oxonmoot Esty, would love to see you again.
Old 05-07-2007, 06:08 AM   #33
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Child, my paper will be published along with the other lectures that were held, so it will be possible for anyone who wants it to read it. However, if anyone really, really can't wait that long, PM me and I'll find a way...

narff, ditto - seeing you and the other Downers again is definitely one incentive for coming to Oxonmoot! The international Tolkien gang and something about the programme that a little bird told me are the others.
Old 05-07-2007, 06:26 AM   #34
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

After seeing how the costume talk is evolving, I would just like to state that if I should be so lucky and be able to go to the Oxonmoot. Well, then I will not be dressed up.

The only thing that would be a possibility would be one of the Rohirim, but I am just not walking through security wearing a chain-mail!
(this would also require that I did not cut my hair)

Old 05-07-2007, 07:04 AM   #35
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Quote:
The only thing that would be a possibility would be one of the Rohirim, but I am just not walking through security wearing a chain-mail!
(this would also require that I did not cut my hair)
You could always go as Gollum... or Gandalf the Grey Uncl... Wait... I'm not going to say it.

As you may have heard, I'll be going as Bombadil.

Here is a thing, I wonder if anyone will go as Turin based on the front cover of CoH?
Old 05-07-2007, 07:25 AM   #36
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookbill the Goomba
You could always go as Gollum... or Gandalf the Grey Uncl... Wait... I'm not going to say it.

As you may have heard, I'll be going as Bombadil.

Here is a thing, I wonder if anyone will go as Turin based on the front cover of CoH?
I should smite thee for those comments!

No, but I have seen it and that was why I made my post.

Old 05-11-2007, 10:45 PM   #37
Beregond
Playful Ghoul

Beregond is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sorry if I'm butting-in, but is there anyone here from Canada who might know of events closer to where I am? Alas, I would love to be able to go to these fine events in England... I was there last summer for the first time and visited Oxford (stayed at the Peartree Travelodge which I think someone above mentioned), but can't see getting back anytime soon.
Old 05-24-2007, 11:49 PM   #38
narfforc
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Just to put the record straight, the Costume Party at Oxonmoot is on Saturday night along with the Ents (entertainments), however it doesn't stop people wandering about all day in costume if they so desire, a word of advice though, don't leave the college waving Sting in the air, Mordor has a Police Force that shoots first and asks questions later.
Old 05-25-2007, 05:57 AM   #39
narfforc
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

On the Tolkien Trail.

I have just returned this week from a wondrous journey. The first part of this took me to London to see The Lord of the Rings Musical and I was left speechless, awesome and spectacular are the only words I can find, of course it is not without it's faults for the purists, however if one approaches this with an open mind and forgets all other medium ie:- The Book, The BBC Radio Play, The Four Films, then it is highly enjoyable, one must also remember the artwork of Nasmith, Howe and Lee who show differing interpretations of the same scenes, if The Lord of the Rings is a room then Tolkien entered through the door and Jackson through the window, this leaves the Musical Director Mathew Warchus (I think) to come down the chimney, all of this is still in essence The Lord of the Rings. The play starts before it starts, whilst people are still arriving and finding their seats the auditorium was filled with Hobbits chasing fireflies and at play, they all spoke to each other by name and seemed to be having a very good time whilst totally oblivious of the audience, seeing Bolgers and Bracegirdles running down the aisles brought the story to you and dragged you in. The scenery was fantastic and the so were the costumes. The scenes of note were that involving the Balrog and the one were we meet Galadriel for the first time, also Gollum climbing down the wall of the theatre, I won't spoil it for you, go and see it.

Some of the songs aren't bad either.

The next part of my journey was to Sarehole for The Tolkien Weekend, this involved:-

1. Sarehole Mill.
2. Moseley Bog Tour.
3. Bus Tour taking in.
a. Perott's Folly and the Victorian Tower of the Edgbaston Waterworks, The Two Towers.
b. Stirling Road where Tolkien lived opposite the widow of Dr Joseph Samson Gamgee.
c. The various Tolkien and family houses such as 264 Wake Green Road opposite Mosely Bog.
4. Watched the play, Farmer Giles of Ham.

All very enjoyable and if you get the chance you must do this.

The last thing I did was visit the little church where John and Mabel married, I left with the sense of wondering that on his special day he would not even have considered how special he was.
Old 06-08-2007, 02:43 AM   #40
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Can any of you TS members tell me if booking for Oxonmoot is already underway? The website says it will start in spring, yet there's no further information so far.

By the way, Ted Nasmith will be at the German Tolkien Society's summer meeting next month; Brian Sibley, who's been planning to come for several years, has had to cancel his participation for health reasons.