The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-25-2013, 06:24 PM   #1
TheLostPilgrim
Haunting Spirit

TheLostPilgrim has just left Hobbiton.
Were the Istari already old men...?

Were the Istari already old men when they arrived in Middle Earth--What I mean is, where they clad in the flesh of aged men from their arrival, or did they simply slowly age over the millenia into old men?

Basically, for example, did Gandalf age at all, at least on the outside, since he arrived in Middle Earth?
TheLostPilgrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 06:58 PM   #2
Belegorn
Shade of Carn Dûm

Belegorn has just left Hobbiton.
Yes they arrived in the form of old men although they were full of vitality.

"They came therefore in the shape of Men, though they were never young and aged only slowly, and they had many powers of mind and hand." [UT, p. 409]

"for long they went about in simple guise, as it were of Men already old in years but hale in body" [p. 405]

and, "Men perceived that they did not die, but remained the same" although they "aged only by the cares and labours of many long years" [p. 406].

The main reason for this was so that they would not be so incredible to M-E inhabitants, "but coming in shapes weak and hunble".

So we have it that they are Maia who wear the shapes of old men so as not to come in a display of power, nor to subjugate any of the children of Eru. They were to rally the peoples against the enemy but not themselves go head to head with him. Although Gandalf did confront the Balrog and unleash his powers there.
Old 08-25-2013, 07:18 PM   #3
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
The section in Unfinished Tales, The Istari, also elaborates that Gandalf appeared to be older than the others from the moment he set foot on Middle-earth at the Grey Havens, and not as tall. Yet, Círdan felt he was nonetheless the wisest, and chose Gandalf to be the recipient of Narya. I've always found that neat, yet another example of Tolkien's running theme of the "weak" actually being the strongest where it counts.
Old 08-25-2013, 07:23 PM   #4
Zigûr
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Zigûr is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Zigûr is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Saruman's hair and beard were black when he came to Middle-earth and slowly turned white over the millennia: "His hair and beard were white, but strands of black still showed about his lips and ears." ("The Voice of Saruman")

Frodo also muses upon how much older Gandalf looks when he returns after the nine year gap between his last visit and his final visit to Bag End.

So I think it's fair to say that while the Wizards already looked somewhat old when they arrived, they visibly aged over the course of their time in Middle-earth, albeit incredibly slowly considering how long they were around.
Old 08-26-2013, 04:21 AM   #5
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inziladun View Post
The section in Unfinished Tales, The Istari, also elaborates that Gandalf appeared to be older than the others from the moment he set foot on Middle-earth at the Grey Havens, and not as tall. Yet, Círdan felt he was nonetheless the wisest, and chose Gandalf to be the recipient of Narya. I've always found that neat, yet another example of Tolkien's running theme of the "weak" actually being the strongest where it counts.
It's actually kind of like Círdan himself in this case. He's never been a great king, but he's consistently been a force for the side of good, probably more than anyone else around in ME. And he is also the oldest elf, and one of the (if not the) wisest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zigûr View Post
Frodo also muses upon how much older Gandalf looks when he returns after the nine year gap between his last visit and his final visit to Bag End.
I think that could definitely be counted under "aged only by the cares and labours of many long years".
Old 08-26-2013, 05:45 AM   #6
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:
Saruman's hair and beard were black when he came to Middle-earth and slowly turned white over the millennia: "His hair and beard were white, but strands of black still showed about his lips and ears." ("The Voice of Saruman")

So I think it's fair to say that while the Wizards already looked somewhat old when they arrived, they visibly aged over the course of their time in Middle-earth, albeit incredibly slowly considering how long they were around.
Basically this - I would imagine the Istari originally looking like men, say, in their fifties, and then eventually turning into old men. The descriptions in the Istari essay sort of seem to conjure such an image.
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 07:28 AM   #7
Alfirin
Shade of Carn Dûm

Alfirin has been trapped in the Barrow!
Quote:

That actually brings up an interesting question (if I may veer off topic for a bit) why did the Istari have beards AT ALL. They were sent to rally the people the people of Middle Earth to resist Sauron, so one would assume they would choose a form that would in someway facilitate conveying their message. Given that a fairly large proportion of the major powers in ME (the one's whose support would be ESSENTIAL to any resistance) did not as a rule wear facial hair it would seem a bit of an odd choice. To the elves (who don't usually grow facial hair until they are quite old) it would make them look even older than they were. This is fine for the wise (who would respect age and wisdom) but I imagine some younger elves would see them and think "doddering old fool". In Gondor it would mark them out as pretty perpetual strangers since the Gondorians also do not grow facial hair (I've never been sure based on the text if it is a matter or choice (to look more like the elves) or if the generation have actually bred hairiness out of the Numenorian bloodline). In Rohan the same would probably be the case (Again I can't remember and specifc mentions as to whether the Rohirrim wear beards, but if it is genetic then what applies to Gondor applies to them.) Moreover since I seem to recall a lot of the people who Oppose Rohan (like the Dunlendings) DO grow beards, it might make them look not merely like "strangers" but like "the enemy". A lot of the other Men of Middle earth of course do have facial hair (The fact that Stoor hobbits can grow beards is regarded as a Mannish thing, so it's safe to say than the Breelanders grow beards) but power wise, they are a lot more diffuse and making oneself more attractive to them at the cost of alienating other, larger powers does not seem to me to make much logistical sense. Saruman I can sort of see since, as Aule's choice, he might share Aule's love of the Dwarves and want to make himself as attractive to them as possible.
Alfirin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 11:12 AM   #8
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfirin View Post
That actually brings up an interesting question (if I may veer off topic for a bit) why did the Istari have beards AT ALL. They were sent to rally the people the people of Middle Earth to resist Sauron, so one would assume they would choose a form that would in someway facilitate conveying their message.
In the quote cited by Belegorn above, it is said that the Istari were "in the shape of Men". That particular form might have been chosen as the most accessible to all the Free Peoples. If they'd come as Elves, the Dwarves would have been much less likely to deal with them, and vice-versa. Men commonly had dealings with both the other races (not to mention Hobbits).

As for the beards, we know we least that King Théoden wore one, and beards seem to be fairly common among the Men of Middle-earth, since the Stoors, the nearest hobbits to Men, are distinguished by some growing a bit of down on their chins.
Beards would have been a source of affinity to Dwarves, with little doubt, and surely the wise Eldar would have been able to see beyond the beards (as they did with the general elderly appearance) of the Istari and pay more attention to their words and deeds.
Old 08-26-2013, 12:07 PM   #9
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Perhaps beards were a metaphor for the cloaked nature of the Istari.
Old 08-26-2013, 01:47 PM   #10
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
I imagine some younger elves would see them and think "doddering old fool".
This is actually an interesting point. Would Elves even think like that? It imagine they (at least at first) would not know how to deal with the (comparatively) rapid degeneration of Men over time (both physically and mentally). It doesn't really look like Elves age in the same way. To them beards on an immortal would mean wisdom.
Old 08-26-2013, 02:29 PM   #11
Alfirin
Shade of Carn Dûm

Alfirin has been trapped in the Barrow!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eönwë View Post
This is actually an interesting point. Would Elves even think like that? It imagine they (at least at first) would not know how to deal with the (comparatively) rapid degeneration of Men over time (both physically and mentally). It doesn't really look like Elves age in the same way. To them beards on an immortal would mean wisdom.

Valid enough, though I might question how many bearded individuals the average Middle Earth elf would have seen in their lifetimes. It sounds like it takes a LOONG time for an elf to reach that "third stage" when he gets his chin fuzz. By that time, it seems like most elven men have either been slain (in more warish times) or wearied and set sail for the west. We know Cirdan has a beard, but he is old even by ME elven standards. Elrond (cartoon not withstanding) doesn't have one yet, even though I suppose it is possible that having mannish blood in him to he may get his a bit earlier than would be normal for an elf, life choice or no). I think it is entirely possible that, for the average elf, Cirdan would be the first and only bearded member of their race they ever saw, barring scenes from the seventh stone (since the elves can and do use the seventh Palantir to sneak glances at the west, they may occasionally get to see those elves who stray into the line of sight. Since at least some of these would be elves who made the journey ages ago and so are pretty old I imagine chin hair is a bit more common there.). To most what's his name who grew a beard when he was in his second age (which I suppose means that, in your context, he was "wise before his years") would be a distant memory to them if indeed any had been born long enough ago to remember him.
Oh and thanks Inziladun for reminding me about Théoden having one. I knew he had one in the movies (both live and cartoon) but they are so unreliable on this matter (the cartoon one has Elrond, Aragorn and Denethor with facial hair) that I have gotten into the habit of not trusting any of them in this matter. I suppose that settles the "choice or nature" argument, assuming that the House of Eor has more or less as strong a strain of Numernorian blood as most of the Gondor families, at least SOME Numernorians can grow facial hair if they choose.
Alfirin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 05:23 PM   #12
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Quote:
I think it is entirely possible that, for the average elf, Cirdan would be the first and only bearded member of their race they ever saw, barring scenes from the seventh stone (since the elves can and do use the seventh Palantir to sneak glances at the west, they may occasionally get to see those elves who stray into the line of sight.
That's why I'm suggesting it might have brought them additional respect among the Elves, or at least not diminished it.