The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-22-2003, 08:54 PM   #121
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

Quote:
... looks a bit peeky
Yes indeed, being "peeky" is a bad thing. We all know what happened to the legendary Peeping Tom.

Quote:
his father died and married again
Hmm.... I didn't know necrophilia existed among the Elves!
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2003, 02:39 PM   #122
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril

...and yet another variation on a popular homophone:
Quote:
Gandalf is the barer of this ring.
I can just see the movie version: 'The Naked Ring'! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2003, 05:11 AM   #123
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril

Quote:
you never seize to amaze me
Amazement seizes me...
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Old 12-10-2003, 03:34 PM   #124
doug*platypus
Delver in the Deep

doug*platypus has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

Not sure if this counts as a homophone (at least in most peoples' version of the English language), but in case you thought that Éowyn's bower was "a hutch to trammel some wild thing in", it seems you were sadly mistaken. It actually reads:
Quote:
A hushed, tremmelsome, wild thing.
That tremmelsome young Éowyn. She's probably the most tremmelsome of all the tremmelous characters in the whole tremlogy, I mean trilogy.
Old 12-12-2003, 03:16 PM   #125
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

A little known fact about one of the Ainur - Morgoth was a baker!!
Quote:
They were bread by Melkor.
It sounds like he specialized in gingerbread men, perhaps? [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 01-28-2004, 03:27 AM   #126
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

Quote:
Hear I come
Perhaps there's only a comma missing to remind us to listen for an arrival? "Hear, I come!"
Quote:
to sale into the West
Oooh, special offers in Valinor? Or are the Valar buying something from M-E??

(Now, we don't mention names here, but I got a kick out of the fact that both of these typos came from authors who are involved in a serious writing project that started on the Downs... [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] )
Old 01-29-2004, 11:41 AM   #127
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

Robust greetings:
Quote:
A hardy hello
Old 02-06-2004, 09:05 PM   #128
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
The perennial favourite makes yet another appearance ...

Gandalf exposed in Rohan!

Quote:
Gandalf arranged him to be there to bare him to Meduseld.
Old 02-07-2004, 08:45 AM   #129
Kransha
Ubiquitous Urulóki

Location: The port of Mars, where Famine, Sword, and Fire, leash'd in like hounds, crouch for employment
Kransha has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Kransha
Sting

Quote:
Butt I think there is an alternative.
Did you just call me Butt?

Quote:
And he roled down the mountain.
Doesn't sound as painful as rolling.

Quote:
I am the I of Sauron!
So where's the A of Sauron? Actually, Sauron doesn't have an I. S-A-U-R-O-N

Quote:
When in doubt, yous your knows.
I'm not touching the grammar in that one.

-Aeschylus, Song of the Furies
Kransha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2004, 10:02 PM   #130
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Quote:
Estel, the name given by a mother to a son she hoped would accomplish great feets
Hmm... how does one accomplish a foot? Was Aragorn leaping about or something? Did Gilraen want him to become Middle-earth's resident Leap-frog champion?
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2004, 07:09 PM   #131
Nirvana II
Wight

Nirvana II has just left Hobbiton.
hear's one:Hear here! (slightly copied....but its still fresh off the vine)

Вы - пончик желе!

Я оказался снова.

Частное сообщение меня, если Вы понимаете.

Last edited by Nirvana II; 03-04-2004 at 07:22 PM.
Nirvana II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2004, 11:03 AM   #132
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Here's a new twist to one of our favorite homophones:
Quote:
Both could bare arms
Where I live, it's still too cold for sleeveless tops...
Old 03-29-2004, 12:39 PM   #133
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Two-in-one:
Quote:
a grate addition to Melkor's fours
I'm puzzled - grated cheese and petit fours don't go together very well...
Old 03-29-2004, 02:52 PM   #134
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Boots

Quote:
But i think we should look more into Middle Earth itself, and so I think that Tolkien is trying to show this, with so may characters turning to evil and only a few taking the 'wise' root and turning from it.
Did it belong to the Tree of Good and Evil? And should we all become gardeners?

Old 03-30-2004, 02:54 PM   #135
Luthien_ Tinuviel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Luthien_ Tinuviel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Luthien_ Tinuviel Send a message via MSN to Luthien_ Tinuviel
Yet more misused homophones.......

Quote:
Ah, such fine tails of.. um.. deadness!
For myself, I'd rather not have a dead tail.

Quote:
And that time when I fell in a whole
Yes, but did you complete the entire fall?

You know what? I love Mip.
Luthien_ Tinuviel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2004, 05:11 PM   #136
luthien-elvenprincess
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: what are you doing here? did you come here to eat my popcorn?
luthien-elvenprincess has just left Hobbiton.
Sam 'herd' a burst of 'horse' singing, blaring of horns, banging of gongs, a hideous clamour.

Yes, I think that hearing a herd of orcs singing like horses would be a hideous clamour!
Old 03-30-2004, 05:16 PM   #137
luthien-elvenprincess
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: what are you doing here? did you come here to eat my popcorn?
luthien-elvenprincess has just left Hobbiton.
All your words are but to say: you are a woman, and your part is in the house. But when the men have 'dyed' in battle and honour , you have 'leaves' to be burned in the house, for the men will 'knead' it no more.

strange role reversals: men dying their hair and making bread; women doing yard work, but doing it inside the house.
Old 04-12-2004, 06:13 AM   #138
doug*platypus
Delver in the Deep

doug*platypus has just left Hobbiton.
Nautical but Nice

On how to choose between conflicting texts:
Quote:
it's a matter of cannon
Arrh... a Downer after me own heart. It was once said that the best ambassador is a Man O' War!
doug*platypus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2004, 03:47 AM   #139
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Quote:
Dragons do reproduce by lying eggs. Thus it is quiet possible to bread them.
Hush! We're enjoying our breaded filet of dragon - at least, if they didn't lie about the eggs...
Old 05-17-2004, 11:51 AM   #140
Maeggaladiel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: The end of the world as we know it. I feel fine, incidentally.
Maeggaladiel has just left Hobbiton.
Gah!

Quote:
Ah, such fine tails of.. um.. deadness!
Oh, jees, that one was me!! *Slaps forehead, bangs head against wall* Stupid! *BANG* Stupid! *BANG* Stupid! *BANG* Ow.

~Maeg and her dead tail
Old 07-15-2004, 06:35 AM   #141
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

This one is tricky, admittedly...
Quote:
Anglo Saxon annunciation
...announcing the enunciation?!
Old 07-20-2004, 03:36 AM   #142
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

Boots

Quote:
So, I'll be Bach.
... to compose a new post, no doubt.
Old 07-21-2004, 11:12 AM   #143
Luthien_ Tinuviel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Send a message via AIM to Luthien_ Tinuviel Send a message via MSN to Luthien_ Tinuviel
Quote:
what other examples of curses are found in Middle-Earth or the Undrying Lands?
Never go to the Undrying Lands with wet hair.

Quote:
Bare with me for a moment
If it's all the same to you, I think I'll pass.

Last edited by Luthien_ Tinuviel; 07-21-2004 at 11:28 AM. Reason: Misquoting! Eep!
Old 09-01-2004, 01:15 PM   #144
Luthien_ Tinuviel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Yet another one.

Quote:
I was serfing the old threads on the Downs forum
No doubt with a nobleman peering over your shoulder and telling you that your computer time was up.

Old 09-13-2004, 11:38 AM   #145
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

Boots

Quote:
PJ's Most Disagreable Mistakes (reasons why he is no longer aloud doing The Hobbit)
You mean he's making a mime version?
Old 09-13-2004, 12:06 PM   #146
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
"Sir Ian Mc Kellen, would not say Macbeth due to the superstition that if it is spoken, in a theatre, while a production is being planned as it causes things to go wrong. The reason why they say their is a curse, is because it is believed, Shakespeare had a playright call Christopher Mallory killed, and took his writings and claimed them as his own, and Mallory knew of Shakespeares jealosy of him, when Mallory was stabbed,Mallory is suposed to have cursed any work that shakespeare claimed to be his, if it had not been."

I hope playright is enough to qualify butI thought it worth quoting in it's entirety for enlightenment on this mysterious episode in the history of English Literature....

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2004, 10:04 AM   #147
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Elusive allusion? Or an illusion?
Quote:
it still alludes me
Old 10-31-2004, 11:52 AM   #148
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

Boots

Quote:
frodo and co. meat elves?
Well, I know that Hobbits like their food, but isn't that taking it too far ...
Old 11-02-2004, 01:25 PM   #149
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
I always wondered how the elves of Rivendell and Lorien managed to cultivate enough food for the community in a ravine and a forest but I didn't realise they were practising cannibalism..

Old 12-19-2004, 03:39 PM   #150
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

Encaitare is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Here's one I just found over in Crazy Captions:

Quote:
Gandalf:
Squinting with all his might, Gandalf notices that he is not in the same room as the Balrog...
G: Ah Fiddlesticks! I guess saruman was right, that hobbit weed has been getting to my head, i'm not even in the right demention anymore!
Well, I guess Gandalf does look kinda demented in that picture...

Love ya, Ka.
Encaitare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2004, 08:16 PM   #151
Elennar Starfire
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Elennar Starfire has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Elennar Starfire
Oh, pooh, Enca's gotten to it first...
Old 01-17-2005, 02:07 PM   #152
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Quote:
the W-K braking Gandalf's staff
NEW! Staff with brakes - enables wizards to slow down before hurting someone (or turning them into something unnatural... ).
Old 01-30-2005, 07:12 AM   #153
Sophia the Thunder Mistress
Scent of Simbelmynë

Sophia the Thunder Mistress has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Sophia the Thunder Mistress
eek!

Quote:
I wish I could find the quote, but after some time of searching, it still alludes me.
A quote that kept alluding to me would be on my hit list as well. I hope it wasn't saying anything nasty!
The seasons fall like silver swords, the years rush ever onward; and soon I sail, to leave this world, these lands where I have wander'd. O Elbereth! O Queen who dwells beyond the Western Seas, spare me yet a little time 'ere white ships come for me!
Sophia the Thunder Mistress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 06:04 PM   #154
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

Boots Mr Right meets Captain Obvious ...

Quote:
Legolas for example was cast for the soul purpose of drawing in the ladies ages 10 to 25 ...
... must be the ones looking for a soul mate.
Old 02-17-2005, 11:44 AM   #155
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

"Debauchery's a funny thing (no, bare with me....."

Quite an offer from the most-stalked downer.......

Old 04-21-2005, 08:43 AM   #156
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
I must thank Keeper of Dol Guldur for keeping this gem out of sight of the general public. It would have entirely changed the context of that part of the story, and certainly explained why the all the jaws in the room dropped upon my character's entrance!

Quote:
Her posture was as excellent as could be expected, and those at the table who knew of her lineage smiled to themselves at her noble baring.
And though he thankfully didn't post it, LMP discovered my last mistake:

Quote:
If not now, than when? If not me, than who?
Old 04-25-2005, 12:12 AM   #157
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Quote:
...thrown Denethor off the thrown...
Double take or double toss?
Old 05-31-2005, 12:41 AM   #158
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Pot? Kettle? Black?
Quote:
Mr. Wile E. Coyote soots my personality well
Old 06-01-2005, 11:51 AM   #159
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Not quite a homophone, yet more than a typo:
Quote:
the need be fateful in adaption whilst creating drama
Hmmmm, a new version of the big "C" thread?
Old 06-02-2005, 12:28 PM   #160
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Almost a homophone

"there is a barrowwright ...."

Well I guess someone had to make the barrows....