The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Closed Thread

Old 01-08-2003, 05:14 PM   #1
Luinalatawen
Wight

Luinalatawen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Luinalatawen
Ring If you were to get an LotR-related tattoo, what would you choose?

If you got a LotR-related tattoo (like the actors who played the members of the fellowship got the symbol for "nine" in elvish), what would you get?
Old 01-08-2003, 05:21 PM   #2
MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie Send a message via AIM to MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie
1420!

A sword. I could say it was like one that was used to defend Gondor or something. Or I'd get some quote. Maybe the one about those who deserve life/death. That would be good. Or maybe the one in my signature (possibly longer too; I had to cut some off to keep it under 3 lines). Or the BD logo for this site. Or maybe I'd make a design for the tatoo based on the barrow downs (not this site) because it's my favorite part in the book.<p>[ January 08, 2003: Message edited by: MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie ]

-Willie
Old 01-08-2003, 05:38 PM   #3
Faye Took
Shade of Carn Dûm

Faye Took has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Faye Took
Sting

I would get the 9 (hehe) or get the elvish on the ring, or I would probably get something like "Frodo Lives". Hehehehe.
Old 01-08-2003, 05:44 PM   #4
Rosegirl8745

White-Hand

I don't think I'll actually get a tattoo, but if I DID, I might get...an ent...PERHAPS...but then again, maybe Gandalf's staff That would be ok, haha. But i"m not sure what I'd get.

Old 01-08-2003, 06:02 PM   #5
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
White-Hand

Sorry, no tattoo for me, but if I was to get a fake one, I would probably get the lettering that is on the ring, because even though it is very evil. It is also very beautiful, or maybe something else that is in elvish.<p>[ January 08, 2003: Message edited by: Gorwingel ]
Old 01-08-2003, 06:03 PM   #6
Nieninque
Haunting Spirit

Nieninque has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I'm getting the Elvish script on the Ring around my right ankle, all I have to do is find a reputable place *can't wait*
Old 01-08-2003, 06:17 PM   #7
Jenna

Sting

Hm...i cant decide between an anklet of elvish script...or the white tree of gondor, or maybe the symbol for nine.

Old 01-08-2003, 07:59 PM   #8
Fingo
Haunting Spirit

Fingo has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Fingo
Tolkien

Either the Ring's inscription around my ring finger or Frodo Lives! translated into elvish on the inside of my wrist. Or I agree with Nilfalathiel, the tree on the small of the back or the ankle would be awesome! I really am considering getting one. I just want it to be right.<BR>*snaps fingers* Ya know Tolkien's elvish symbol? The one with this post? That would be cool too. <BR>Ok I'm getting carried away. But what a great idea for a topic.
Old 01-08-2003, 08:05 PM   #9
Arwen Evenstar the Fair
Wight

Arwen Evenstar the Fair has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Well I'm not a tatoo person, but IF I got one, it would be a toss up between the Evenstar, the White Tree, or Elvish writing.
Old 01-08-2003, 10:22 PM   #10
Tigerlily Gamgee
Hostess of Spirits

Tigerlily Gamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Tigerlily Gamgee
Silmaril

I would either get a tattoo of the leaf brooch, Arwen's pendant, or the Tolkien symbol.
Old 01-08-2003, 10:29 PM   #11
lord of dor-lomin
Wight

lord of dor-lomin has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

I'd put a whole scene on my back, like Turin driving his sword into Glaurung, or maybe Fingolfin facing off with Morgoth.
Old 01-08-2003, 10:34 PM   #12
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to the phantom
Eye

I'm with you on this. I'd get a whole scene done on my back. Maybe a couple of armies clashing together.<P>(I wouldn't really get one though, tattoos aren't my style. It'd ruin my smooth, glowing skin)
Old 01-09-2003, 04:51 AM   #13
Pookabunny
Wight

Pookabunny has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Pookabunny
1420!

I've been working on a Tolkien-esque tat..specifically the inscription on the ring. I'm getting pretty good at it - I've done some woodworking with the inscription and I painted it on my front door. I'm also thinking about painting the entrance to Moria on the other side of my door.<P>I already have several tattoos that I've designed, and I don't like having other people's work on my body (unless I see it on paper first). I'm pretty stubborn when it comes to tattoos since they're permanent, so I'll put a few years into it before I actually get the tattoo.<P>oooh bugger, I didn't say exactly what I'd get - I want to get the ring inscription across my lower back in one several ways. I either want it in red bold letters outlined in black, or black letters with a flame background, or in thick letters filled with flames (and a black outline). Again, I'm going to have to play with it some more.... <BR> <p>[ January 09, 2003: Message edited by: Pookabunny ]
Old 01-09-2003, 07:33 AM   #14
Merri
Wight

Merri has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

This belongs in the Middle Earth Mayhem section, I think <P>But if I were to get a tattoo I'd probably have some elvish lettering or some such thing. Or the rune for Gandalf.
Old 01-09-2003, 03:58 PM   #15
GreyIstar
Wight

GreyIstar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The letter G in as in Gandalf's symbol.

"Dangerous!" cried Gandalf. "And so am I, very dangerous: more dangerous than anything you will ever meet, unless you are brought alive before the seat of the Dark Lord."
Old 01-09-2003, 05:08 PM   #16
the witch king
Wight

the witch king has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

totaly the moon of morgul or the eye of mordor coz im evil <lol>
Old 01-09-2003, 05:17 PM   #17
Ithaeliel
Cornus Caliga

Location: Five-hundred-twenty-five thousand, six hundred minutes from here
Ithaeliel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Ithaeliel
Silmaril

I'd get the Tolkien symbol, my name in elvish, or the eye of Sauron. I actually might do that in a couple of years.
Old 01-09-2003, 05:19 PM   #18
Mattius
Soul of Fire

Mattius has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

For me it would have to be the Eye of Sauron on the top of my back (just below my neck) with his face underneath (like how he looks in the prologue on FotR) and under that near the bottom of my back the FULL poem thing- 3 for elves blah blah blah!
Old 01-09-2003, 05:59 PM   #19
Maikadilwen
Summoner of Lost Souls

Maikadilwen has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

For some time I've been thinking about getting Tolkien's symbol on my wrist, <B>BUT</B> I've come to think about something.<P>Doesn't the Tolkien Estate have the copyright for that symbol? I certainly don't want to get in big trouble because of a tattoo... I already have plenty, but I'd really like this one.<P>Do we have any lawyers among us, who know about copyright laws?
Old 01-09-2003, 06:58 PM   #20
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Pipe

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Do we have any lawyers among us, who know about copyright laws? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>The law firm of Grishnakh, Shagrat and Gorbag at your service (well, Orcs would be the lawyers, wouldn't they?). <P>I think that its only if you use it for commercial gain.
Old 01-09-2003, 07:36 PM   #21
Vardadurwen
Wight

Vardadurwen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Wow, this is a totally great topic. I've always wanted a tatoo of a tree and since I'm in love with the Ents, I might consider getting one of those. The white tree of Gondor would be really beautiful too.<BR> Everyone has really great ideas. I really liked the one of Gandalf's staff too! <BR> I don't really know if I would ever get a tatoo of anything, let alone something to do with Lord of the Rings...I don't mean that in a bad way, it's just that I don't know if it's <I>that</I> important to me that I would want something concerning it to be imprinted on me for the rest of my life, ya know?<BR> But there is some really great artwork out there inspired by LOTR. So I can see why a lot of people would want a tatoo of that, or thigns like that.

'Now there's an eye-opener and no mistake!' - Samwise Gamgee
Old 01-09-2003, 07:43 PM   #22
Beruthiel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Beruthiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I'd probably get what I've got in my signature in elvish around my ankle.<BR>Or I'd get an elvish pattern(some of those are REALLY beautiful) or maybe Gandalf's speech, you know 'those that live deserve death' etc.
Old 01-09-2003, 07:44 PM   #23
Vardadurwen
Wight

Vardadurwen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Wow, this is a totally great topic. I've always wanted a tatoo of a tree and since I'm in love with the Ents, I might consider getting one of those. The white tree of Gondor would be really beautiful too.<BR> Everyone has really great ideas. I really liked the one of Gandalf's staff too! <BR> I don't really know if I would ever get a tatoo of anything, let alone something to do with Lord of the Rings...I don't mean that in a bad way, it's just that I don't know if it's <I>that</I> important to me that I would want something concerning it to be imprinted on me for the rest of my life, ya know?<BR> But there is some really great artwork out there inspired by LOTR. So I can see why a lot of people would want a tatoo of that, or things like that.

'Now there's an eye-opener and no mistake!' - Samwise Gamgee
Old 01-09-2003, 07:50 PM   #24
F-16

Pipe

I would get the Helm of the Tower Guard of Minas Tirith.<BR>Or<BR>I would get a picture of a Rider of Rohan carrying a spear.

Old 01-09-2003, 08:09 PM   #25
Carrûn
Wight

Carrûn has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The Eye, inbetween my shoulder blades.<P>Or some Elvish script around my upper arm or ankle.
Old 01-09-2003, 08:40 PM   #26
Guildo
Wight

Guildo has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Guildo
Sting

I would try to be most like, the people of Middle Earth and Not get a Tatoo.<P>BUT if i was forced to choose, i would get Narsil, or Glamdring, or Sting down me spine.

Glen Sight
Old 01-09-2003, 11:50 PM   #27
Deathless One

Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Doesn't the Tolkien Estate have the copyright for that symbol? I certainly don't want to get in big trouble because of a tattoo... I already have plenty, but I'd really like this one.<P>Do we have any lawyers among us, who know about copyright laws?<P> <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I know people with band tattoos and those logos are copyrighted. I would guess that it would be okay since its an artist's rendering.<P>I've been thinking about getting a tattoos, but its not anything tolkien related.

Old 01-10-2003, 12:09 AM   #28
t0MAt0

Silmaril

I'll put Arwen's pendent as a tattoo....I find it veri unique.

Old 01-10-2003, 09:50 PM   #29
Luinalatawen
Wight

Luinalatawen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Luinalatawen
Sting

I wouldn't actually get a tattoo myself, but if I ever did, it would be something written in Elvish script/tengwar. Or maybe my Elvish name.<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> This belongs in the Middle Earth Mayhem section, I think <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I put it here because the actors in the movie got the tattoos, but I guess it could go either place.
Old 01-11-2003, 08:45 PM   #30
Melody110

Sting

This is my first post here, but this topic is the main reason why I became a member...I want a tattoo, but haven't been able to find any I like so I decided that rather than get any oriental writing I would have an inscription in Sindarin...but now I need to find something that I want...any idea's???

Old 01-11-2003, 11:00 PM   #31
doug*platypus
Delver in the Deep

doug*platypus has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

Great idea for a thread! But why is everyone using the term "would"? Where are all the people bragging about the Tolkien tattoos they <I>do</I> have? I'll instantly rate '5' anyone who goes and gets one and puts a photo of them in the chair with it being done on the Downs. <P>Um... since I don't think I'd get a Tolkien tattoo I'll say something stupid like:<P>Battle of the Pelennor Fields on my back, Helm's Deep around my left thigh, Dagor Aglareb around my right thigh, and Eärendil fighting Ancalagon across my chest.
Old 01-11-2003, 11:16 PM   #32
Lindril Arvilya
Shade of Carn Dûm

Location: In a box at the end of Harrison Ford's street, with a pair of binoculars
Lindril Arvilya has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

My first idea (as I read the first post) was the Ring-incription, of course. The director of my camp has it around his forearm. I'll ask him if he'd mind a picture of his arm up on the net.<BR>My second was the Lorien leaf brooch... but someone chose that.<BR>So I'd go with the Star of the House of Feanor. I believe it's the one in the center of the Moria door.
Old 02-09-2003, 10:55 AM   #33
elven maiden Earwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

elven maiden Earwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to elven maiden Earwen
Sting

Im seriously thinking about getting a tattoo around my right ankle that says: ~Aurë Entuluva~ Eärwen~ and around my left ankle I want the one ring script. Also on my right sholder I want ethier the number 9 in elvish or jrr tolkien sign or the evenstar, Gandalfs G rune, leaf brooch, and on and on and on.But im only elven so im going to have to wait awhile. <BR>--------------------<P>
Old 02-09-2003, 12:58 PM   #34
Cibbwin
Wight

Cibbwin has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Cibbwin Send a message via MSN to Cibbwin Send a message via Yahoo to Cibbwin
Sting

I'd want something to do with Eowyn or Gimli, not 100% sure what. Maybe the scene with Eowyn and Merry killing the Witch king. That would be awesome.
Old 02-09-2003, 08:52 PM   #35
Rochelle
Shade of Carn Dûm

Rochelle has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

This surely is an interesting topic! It's been fun reading what everyone would get. I personally don't think I'll ever get a tattoo ('fraid of needles you see...) but if I can get up my nerve and decide to have a LOTR theme to it I suppose I would get something in elvish. Not so much the inscription of the ring because that was in the language of Mordor...but perhaps 21 (see quote for reason) or <I>Rochon ellint im</I> in elvish script. It means I'm the swifter rider...and I compete in equestrian sports so I think it'd be fitting

"Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens"
Old 02-09-2003, 08:56 PM   #36
Eressië Ailin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eressië Ailin has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Eressië Ailin
Question

I would probably get the eye cuz thats just me
Old 02-09-2003, 09:30 PM   #37
elven maiden Earwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

elven maiden Earwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to elven maiden Earwen
Sting

the eye would be way cool and who knows a sword or bow, maybe even a simaril
Old 02-10-2003, 05:25 AM   #38
doug*platypus
Delver in the Deep

doug*platypus has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

Not entirely LOTR related, but I think I could be tempted to get "Wherever you go, there you are" in Tengwar, probably around my ankle (although that's a bit too girlie).<P>The Fëanorian script just looks so cool, you could write anything in it and it would make a good tattoo. Much better than writing it using... whatever letters I'm using now! Chinese and Japanese characters have been popular for a while now, maybe Tolkien's writing will become popular now that the movies have come out.
Old 02-10-2003, 08:47 AM   #39
Becca

Tolkien

id have to get a tattoo of the ring with my name in elvish in the middle. another option is to get the elvsh for 'nine' done on my ankle (the same as the fellowship)<BR>there is one tiny problem, i hate needles! as soon as they invent a way of doing tattoos without needles, ill b there!

Old 02-10-2003, 12:01 PM   #40
Maikadilwen
Summoner of Lost Souls

Maikadilwen has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

For all you people who are afraid of needles, I can tell you this much.<P>Being tattooed does NOT feel like it's done with a needle, because it moves so fast it works more like a knife and that's the way it feels too. <BR>But trust me, it's done really fast and since many of you are talking about very small images, it'd be over before you know. <BR>I'd say the "9" that the fellowship has will only take a couple of minutes. That's all. Nothing to be afraid of.