The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-18-2003, 02:50 PM   #1
Elianna
Shade of Carn Dûm

Elianna has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien It's the little things

What little inaccuracies and deleted scenes annoy you most?<BR>I'm not talking about big things like, oh, I don't know, say TOM BOMBADILL!!! (sorry, still not over that one ; ) )<BR>I'm talking about things like these:<BR>-Gollum says he has six teeth in The Hobbit, but in the movie he has seven!<BR>-Boromir is supposed to have dark hair!<BR>-Would it have been that much harder to show Aragorn jumping over the gate after the hobbits to get into Bree?<P>What little things like these annoy you?
Elianna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2003, 05:00 PM   #2
Meneltarmacil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: The bottom of the ocean, discussing philosophy with a giant squid
Meneltarmacil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
The Eye

Welcome to the Downs, Elianna! Enjoy being dead! <P>One thing that really annoys me is the scene of Frodo and Sam watching the Easterlings enter Mordor. The hobbits are looking south toward the Black Gate, which means that the Easterlings should be coming from the left. But instead they are coming from the RIGHT! <P>(NOTE:Yes, they are Easterlings, not Haradrim. The official movie companion says that, plus they look different than the Haradrim.)<P>Another thing about the Black Gate... there should be towers on either side of the gate... but there aren't any towers in that scene! <p>[ July 18, 2003: Message edited by: Meneltarmacil ]
Old 07-18-2003, 08:19 PM   #3
Tinuviel of Denton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Tinuviel of Denton has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Tinuviel of Denton
Silmaril

Saruman's robe. It should shimmer, and I can prove it!<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> I looked then and saw that his robes, which had seemed white, were not so, but were woven of all colours, and if he moved, they shimmered and changed hue so that the eye was bewildered. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>In the movie, his robe isn't even a very <I>clean</I> white!<P>(Thank you for starting this topic! I've been wanting to nitpick on that for a looooong time.)
Tinuviel of Denton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2003, 08:27 PM   #4
Duncariel
Wight

Duncariel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

In FotR after Bilbo's disapearanc, you can <B>hear</B> him running up the path. Hobbits are supposed to be quiet when they walk. <P>Same for the elves. You can hear Legolas going down the stairs in Rivendell. <P>Stupid editors, can't get the information straight.
Old 07-18-2003, 08:40 PM   #5
Aragost
Wight

Aragost has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Aragost
Tolkien

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> One thing that really annoys me is the scene of Frodo and Sam watching the Easterlings enter Mordor. The hobbits are looking south toward the Black Gate, which means that the Easterlings should be coming from the left. But instead they are coming from the RIGHT! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>The moment I found out that they were easterlings I became enraged because PJ should have a little sense, it would not have been taht hard to do it right.
Old 07-19-2003, 11:59 AM   #6
Meneltarmacil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Here's a little error that nobody seems to have noticed.<P>In the book, Boromir lost his horse before he got to Rivendell. In the movie, it shows him entering Rivendell on a horse.
Old 07-19-2003, 12:12 PM   #7
Silmiel of Imladris
Shade of Carn Dûm

Silmiel of Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Silmiel of Imladris
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>(NOTE:Yes, they are Easterlings, not Haradrim. The official movie companion says that, plus they look different than the Haradrim.)<BR> <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Cheese and rice! Here I thought for sure they were Haradrim. Unless PJ meant them to be Haradrim but some idiot in the companion got it messed up, which is possible for I have seen it before in other movie companions. Ex: Star Wars, The Mummy, FOTR Companion didn't really get things mixed up they just added stuff they got from who knows where.

Figwit on his name: Are you suggesting that I have the wit of a fig?
Silmiel of Imladris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2003, 12:28 PM   #8
Duncariel
Wight

Sting

The deep, dark recesses of Peter Jackson's mind...<P>There's also this part when Frodo and Sam are in the corn field and you can see telephone poles in the background.
Old 07-19-2003, 12:40 PM   #9
Silmiel of Imladris
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

I agree Duncariel. Another thing I hate is all those stupid deleted scene pics that keep poping up on the net. They drive me nuts because I want to see some of them in the movies but they are not there. See my thread in the movies forum "Where in Middle-Earth is this from??!!" to see what I mean.

Old 07-19-2003, 12:48 PM   #10
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

the guy who be short has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

In FotR, in Moria, Gandalf is deciding which one of the three tunnels to take. He takes one going down when it clearly says in the book the tunnel goes up! Up! I can even remember the line, it's something like:<BR> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> We've been going down long enough <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
the guy who be short is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2003, 01:15 PM   #11
Silmiel of Imladris
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

It seems that PJ got it backwards because in the movie they seem to go up up up up and up and then they finally go down instead the reverse.

Old 07-19-2003, 01:47 PM   #12
Elianna
Shade of Carn Dûm

Elianna has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

To Tinuviel of Denton: It's my pleasure to start this topic. *bows elegantly* *remembers I'm a girl and attempts a curtsey* *falls flat on my face* ouch!<P>To Meneltarmacil:<BR>Thanks for the welcome. I am glad to be dead, I have on life anyway. ; )<BR>I had noticed and was peeved that Boromir had a horse when he arrived in Rivendell, I just forgot to put that on my list at the beginning. Thanks for jogging my memeory.
Elianna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2003, 03:38 PM   #13
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

The Only Real Estel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

It's not soo much the little things they left out (most of them) that irks me; but rather the little things they put in. In things like Borimir's horse, it does actually make more sense to have him come in on his horse, or else people will be like," He came all the way from Gondor on foot!?", & PJ obviously didn't have time to put in a quick scene with Borimir explaining that he'd lost his horse. Although I will give you, Meneltarmacil, that it does seem odd about that business with the Easterlings. Nothing that <I>irks</I> me persay, but you'd think PJ'd have gotten down his directions...
The Only Real Estel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2003, 04:39 PM   #14
Olorin
Wight

Olorin has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Olorin
Shield

I completely agree with Dynaviir. They added a whole lot of little things (that I thought were pointless changes) when they could have put in the right stuff like Gandalf confronting Saruman. Also, I didn't like that the Ents were so reluctant and that the hobbitses had to convince Treebeard. It just seemed like something stupid, pointless and a waste of time.
Old 07-19-2003, 07:19 PM   #15
Cinderella
Wight

Cinderella has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Cinderella
Silmaril

Speaking of small mistakes...<P>Is it just me (which is v. likely) or does Gollum look COMPLETELY different in Moria in FotR then he does during TTT? I seriously think that the CGI guys decided to pull a fast one and make him tottally different because he doesn't look at all the same to me...anyone else agree or should I have myself committed?
Old 07-19-2003, 08:40 PM   #16
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Sting

I remember hearing somewhere (perhaps the commentry) that WETA was still creating Gollum when FOTR came. That is why you don't see very much of him in that particular film.
Old 07-19-2003, 09:58 PM   #17
Meneltarmacil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eye

More nitpicking about the "Aragorn falling off a cliff" scene.<P>Aragorn falls into a raging river somewhere in the Westfold. Now does that seem odd to you? The answer is yes beacuse there is no river in the Westfold!
Old 07-21-2003, 08:20 PM   #18
Tinuviel of Denton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Tinuviel of Denton has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Tinuviel of Denton
Silmaril

Elrond was still arguing with Arwen about marrying Aragorn in TTT. In the books, he's pretty well resigned (if not approving of the idea.) And shouldn't Frodo have stabbed the Cave Troll's foot before it came roaring in like that? I could swear I read something about that. And that thing with the stairs in Moria...and we shouldn't see the head of the Watcher in the Water...and whatever happened to the conspiracy.
Tinuviel of Denton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2003, 08:30 PM   #19
Luthien_ Tinuviel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Luthien_ Tinuviel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Luthien_ Tinuviel Send a message via MSN to Luthien_ Tinuviel
Sting

Cinderella: About the Gollum thing. I've noticed that myself. Quite odd, isn't it? I guess they had Gollum looking one way, and then they decided they didn't like that and changed him. Or something along those lines.

You know what? I love Mip.
Luthien_ Tinuviel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2003, 08:49 PM   #20
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

Pipe

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>More nitpicking about the "Aragorn falling off a cliff" scene. Aragorn falls into a raging river somewhere in the Westfold. Now does that seem odd to you? The answer is yes beacuse there is no river in the Westfold! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> <BR> Ah! There I will give you no contest, Meneltarmacil! I personally <I>HATED</I> that scene, regardless of the 'no river in the Westfold' fact. As far as I'm concerned, you can nitpick about that all you want! & I would to, excpet I'd take up an ENTIRE page by myself doing it! I'm not going to talk about Farimir in this topic, though. It's not really a 'little thing' anyway.
Old 07-21-2003, 09:16 PM   #21
Duncariel
Wight

Sting

There's also that little part in TTT when Legolas does the little flip-twist thingie onto the horse. Is he double jointed or something. I don't remember him being double jointed in the books....
Old 07-21-2003, 10:14 PM   #22
Neferchoirwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Neferchoirwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Neferchoirwen
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> his robe isn't even a very clean white<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>It was supposed to look aged...unless you were exaggerating into humor.<P>I was disappointed that Shelob had to be saved to the last movie...then what, pray-tell, will be deleted in the Return of the King? Gwaihir picking up the Hobbits from Moria? *my guess would be: yes*
Neferchoirwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2003, 10:17 PM   #23
Neferchoirwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

The Eye

Oh and may I just add...<P>I just hated it when the peak of the war gets to audience, and makes me cry and then suddenly...Gimli squeezes in a punchline that ruins everything!
Old 07-22-2003, 12:29 PM   #24
Dimaldaeon
Wight

Dimaldaeon has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Dimaldaeon Send a message via AIM to Dimaldaeon
Sting

What about when Boromir is fighting and gets hit by an arrow and suddenly his horn is cut in half. I don't think a frickin arrow could do that. Thye editor said he locked himself away for a weekend to edit that scene. Damn slacker

You're not drunk if you can still hold onto a blade of grass to stop yourself from falling off the face of the Earth
Dimaldaeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2003, 12:29 PM   #25
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

Pipe

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Oh and may I just add...<BR>I just hated it when the peak of the war gets to audience, and makes me cry and then suddenly...Gimli squeezes in a punchline that ruins everything!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> I just hated all of Gimli's stupid punchlines. The 1st one at the begining I found mildly humerous, but I also found myself thinking: <I>He better not be cracking jokes throughout the entire movie!!!</I> I somehow think that Gimli would cut off the head of any Elf who made a joke about his hieght! (Helm's Deep 'box' scene)
Old 07-22-2003, 12:32 PM   #26
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

Pipe

One more thing: I don't know if Borimir's horn was already cloven before he was hit by the arrow or not. If it wasn't, then that's annoying, but somehow I think it was already cut in half. I presonally was very glad they even had the horn be cut in half. I thought that side shot of him with 3 broomsticks in him, & his horn clearly split in two was awesome!
Old 07-22-2003, 12:53 PM   #27
Duncariel
Wight

Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> then what, pray-tell, will be deleted in the Return of the King? Gwaihir picking up the Hobbits from Moria? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>No, the scourging of the Shire. And Gwaihir picks them up from Mt. Doom, not Moria. <P>Also, in FotR, at the part when they are runnign away from Farmer Maggot, did you ever notice how steep the little cliff Sam knocks them off is? But as they are rolling down it, it turns out to be only a slight incline. odd.
Old 07-22-2003, 02:05 PM   #28
Silmiel of Imladris
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

:Puts on armor to protect from flying objects she may have to deal with when stating this: <P>Ahem.. well I guess I can see where PJ is going with the cliff scene for in the books Aragorn doesn't get beat up at all. Face it all good heros need to get the cr@p beaten out of them sometime. I think PJ was trying to enforce that bad things not only happen to bad people but good ones as well. Besides when you take on an orc army...or a bunch of forum people for that matter you are likely to get hurt. Ok I am done, you may throw anything you please. <p>[ July 22, 2003: Message edited by: Silmiel of Imladris ]

Old 07-22-2003, 02:18 PM   #29
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The only thing that ever annoyed me in the movies that could be counted as little was the fact that Arwen looked rather more Greek than Elvish in TTT. In that scene where her hair is pulled back and curled. It may actually have been down to the dress, but if her hair had been loose, she wouldn't have looked so Greek.<P>How do you guys come up with all these things? I would never have picked any of those moments out as annoying or incorrect. Everything seemed just peachy to me.
Old 07-22-2003, 03:56 PM   #30
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

Pipe

Meela: The only MINOR thing that annoyed me was: Gimli becoming a stand-up commedian. At the present time, I can't really think of anything else that annoyed me (that I didn't get over in about a week) in FotR, minor OR major. There was a bunch in TTT, but mostly more MAJOR stuff.
Old 07-23-2003, 07:01 AM   #31
Darby
Animated Skeleton

Darby has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Ahem.. well I guess I can see where PJ is going with the cliff scene for in the books Aragorn doesn't get beat up at all. Face it all good heros need to get the cr@p beaten out of them sometime. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>I completely agree! (Hoping I don't get anything thrown at me, either...)<BR>A proper action hero needs to hurt a little. I remember wondering about that during my Aragorn-fan phase many years back, and reading the books very carefully to see if he ever gets hurt. And he doesn't. He stumbles once from exhaustion while running up a bunch of stairs, but that's it. The guy's amazing! He's like the energizer bunny!<BR>I actually liked the Aragorn-over-the-cliff scene, for this reason. And the various little scratches and owies and whatnot that he get gets in his fights (those hands of his!) make the battles seem very realistic.<BR>But maybe I'm just a demented sort of person who likes to abuse my hero-men... <BR>I've been enjoying movie-Aragorn's uncertainity, and gradual acceptance of his role as leader.<BR>Edit - and as regards little things that annoy, I can't actually think of any that haven't been mentioned. I mean, I didn't like the Ford scene, but that was a whole scene, not a detail. Otherwise, it's Faramir's non-raven locks and stuff like that. Oh, and Pippin looks way too old for his character, though I like the actor well enough. It's just that Merry and Pippen especially are supposed to be the youngest members of the Fellowship, and they both look older that Frodo and Sam.<p>[ July 23, 2003: Message edited by: Darby ]
Old 07-23-2003, 12:07 PM   #32
Horse-Maiden of the Shire
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Horse-Maiden of the Shire has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Welcome to the Downs, Darby! Enjoy being dead.<P>I got so angry when I heard this, but I completely forget where: PJ said that Saruman was supposed to have died at the end of TTT! I think it was on one of the threads here, because I remember posting about it. But really! That would have been....AARRGH!!<BR> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> I just hated it when the peak of the war gets to audience, and makes me cry and then suddenly...Gimli squeezes in a punchline that ruins everything! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>I know, Cinderella! I was loving every minute of Helm's Deep, and I wanted it to be really serious, but then Gimli had to go and make it funny.<P>Don't even get me started on the Aragorn-cliff scene. I thought the whole thing was completely pointless. They didn't even get attacked by Wargs in the books, did they? They could have just not put that in and NOT have put in all the Arwen-Aragorn makeout scenes, and used the time for Frodo and Sam in Shelob's lair. Same thing with the whole Osgiliath deal: the time could have been used to meet Pippin and Merry.
Horse-Maiden of the Shire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2003, 06:11 PM   #33
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

Pipe

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>I got so angry when I heard this, but I completely forget where: PJ said that Saruman was supposed to have died at the end of TTT! I think it was on one of the threads here, because I remember posting about it. But really! That would have been....AARRGH!!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Oh well, since Saruman doesn't die at the scouring of the shire (which of course is being cut), it didn't really matter to me if he died at the end of TTT or not.
Old 07-25-2003, 09:39 PM   #34
Neferchoirwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> No, the scourging of the Shire. And Gwaihir picks them up from Mt. Doom, not Moria.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Yeah, I expected to be corrected there...<P>But what really concerns me now is that they might overdo <B>that</B> (now that i'm thinking about it) and take out the scouring...that would be the soriest thing to take out.<P>Besides, if PJ says that Saruman will die, then that means that Grima's left, which makes him the only guy behind the brief downfall of the Shire. Which will not make sense in the long run. <P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> In the book, Boromir lost his horse before he got to Rivendell. In the movie, it shows him entering Rivendell on a horse.<BR> <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I may sound like a devils' advocate, but I think that that was done on purpose to make him look lofty...in an arrogant sort of way...either that, or I'll have to watch it and analyze it all over again.
Old 07-25-2003, 10:21 PM   #35
Burzdol
Shade of Carn Dûm

Burzdol has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The only thing that I can remeber that I don't think was said, is that when Legolas ran at Helm's Deep, his footsteps could be heard. The editors should have read the books better when they started to do their job.<P>Burzdol
Old 07-25-2003, 10:46 PM   #36
StarJewel
Wight

Location: I'm in my dear Maedhros' arms, dreaming the day away. Oh, who am I kidding, Chicago is nothing like that!
StarJewel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to StarJewel
Silmaril

Maybe I am going insane, but if I remember correctly, Haldir is not even mentioned in TTT. Neither is Arwen. Then, why in the name of all dieties are they in TTT? <BR>And i noticed that Gollum thing too. why did they change him? <BR> And the wargs. there probabaly is nothing wrong with them, but i imagined them more, um, wolf like. now they look like a cross between a hyena and my greyhound. <BR>Now i'm gonna stop, because i'm ranting now.
Old 07-26-2003, 05:09 AM   #37
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Maybe I am going insane, but if I remember correctly, Haldir is not even mentioned in TTT. Neither is Arwen. Then, why in the name of all dieties are they in TTT? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Cinematic effect. Or bad moves on PJ's part. By creating a major character out of Arwen in the first movie, wouldn't people have asked "Where's that nice young princess, then? I thought she was one of the main characters." They would expect her to be in the second film, doing just as much as in the first. <BR>Having Haldir and the elves at Helm's Deep just made it more interesting. It's all playing up to the audience. Not everyone is there just to see how it compares to the books.
Old 07-26-2003, 05:34 AM   #38
Everdawn
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: On the sand dunes outside of Ilium, watching it burn.
Everdawn has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

The only thing that annoyed me was how Arwen is always seeming to save the day now... Hell i miss Glorfindel!<P>But other than that, im very greatful that Peter Jackson took the time to make our fav. books into movies. I am very glad of the happiness he has given a lot of us which is why i am reluctant to diss it in any way.

~My lord, Éomer~
Everdawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2003, 12:57 PM   #39
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

Pipe

Neferchoirwen: Since you apparently haven't heard it yet, here's a piece of news that will disappoint you. The Scouring of the Shire already has been taken out. That's why they're going to kill off Saruman at Isengard instead of at Bag End.<BR> <BR>
Old 07-26-2003, 04:07 PM   #40
Arwen Eruantale
Shade of Carn Dûm

Arwen Eruantale has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Arwen Eruantale
Silmaril

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>It's not soo much the little things they left out (most of them) that irks me; but rather the little things they put in.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>since Saruman doesn't die at the scouring of the shire (which of course is being cut), it didn't really matter to me if he died at the end of TTT or not.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>The only MINOR thing that annoyed me was: Gimli becoming a stand-up commedian. At the present time, I can't really think of anything else that annoyed me (that I didn't get over in about a week)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I thought no one ever agreed with you, Only Real Estel... Or am I the only one?

Will you pay attention?
Arwen Eruantale is offline   Reply With Quote