The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-16-2003, 01:11 PM   #1
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril **RotK - General impressions and opinions**

What's your first impression of RotK? Did you enjoy it?
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2003, 04:13 AM   #2
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Silmaril

It ROCKS! The sense of timing was a real high point. But thank God for spoilers; I was braced for the changes! <P>I'm still digesting Sammath Naur (sounds like I really need alka seltzer, doesn't it?? Sorry...) Sammath Naur was "adjusted", but it works. 2 thumbs up. Pelennor: awesome. Minas Tirith: Awesome. Aragorn: way more awesome than I ever thought he'd be. Arwen: good; she "worked"; I give her a thumbs up. <P>I didn't cry as much as I expected to; only six times or so.
Old 12-17-2003, 04:28 AM   #3
Gilthalion
Hobbitus Emeritus

Gilthalion has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

It was truly excellent! Must see it again! And again! Enjoyed every minute! Not looking forward to the long wait for the Extended Edition!<P>Must sleep...
Old 12-17-2003, 05:18 AM   #4
burrahobbit
Hidden Spirit

burrahobbit has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

"adjusted"<P>What does that even mean?
Old 12-17-2003, 05:43 AM   #5
burrahobbit
Hidden Spirit

Sting

Legolas climbed up an oliphaunt by grabbing the arrows that were sticking out of it, then he killed everybody that was riding it, then he killed the oliphaunt, then Gimli said it only counted as one. That is awesome.<P>I would have liked some resolution in Eowyn's story, and for Imrahil to exist. I expect Eowyn and Faramir to meet on the DVD (they are together and Aragorn's coronation), but I've no hope for Imrahil. The only good guys at Pelennor were the Rohirrim and the guard of Minas Tirith. What of Forlong the Fat? What of Lossarnach? There were many places that fought for Gondor.<P>Also: Higgins Boats.
Old 12-17-2003, 08:01 AM   #6
Lindolirian
World's Tallest Hobbit

Lindolirian has just left Hobbiton.
Only two hours of sleep, no caffeine, and I am more energetic than usual. Dang, that was an AWESOME movie! Ha I missed the first ive or so minutes tho because the fella who was giving me a ride to the theater fell asleep. When he showed up at my house at 12:15 I was to excited to be mad and still haven't beat him up. In fact, I don't think I will, I'm in such a good mood. <P>I get to see the <I>whole</I> thing on Saturday too!
Old 12-17-2003, 08:13 AM   #7
Orofaniel
Mighty Mouse of Mordor

Orofaniel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Orofaniel
Ring

I thought the film was pretty well done. <P>There was something I missed though. I think they did a mistake excluding Saruman from the last film. I think it was a bit "odd" that one of the major characters from the previous films just....disappeared. And I've always thought of Saurman as an important and exciting character. <P>I would also have liked to see the Houses of healing, and the Sourcing of the Shire. The sourcing of the Shire is one of my favourite chapters in LotR, so of course I wanted to see it.<P>Anyway, it turned out fine, even though it wasn't in the film. I liked the end when Sam came home, as in the book. (Very touching…..*sniff*) <P>One last thing; they should have included the Mouth of Sauron in the film. I don't exactly why I think that, I just do. Maybe it's just because I've always wanted to see what he looked like?<P>I hope that some of these things will appear in the Extended Edition.
Old 12-17-2003, 09:29 AM   #8
Finnguala
Wight

Finnguala has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I cried!! *is still sobbing* It was so... so... ARGGG! I don't know... it's all so beautiful...
Old 12-17-2003, 11:19 AM   #9
Orual
Speaker of the Dead

Orual has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

As my first midnight movie, the whole thing was slightly surreal for me, but I enjoyed it immensely. All the hype was justified: Pelennor Fields was SO much bigger than Helm's Deep. I was cringing in my seat; it was a teensy bit too intense for me, but overall, it was truly magnificent. Theoden's death scene didn't really do much for me, though...I cried like a baby when I read it in the books, but it was one of the few places in the movie where I <I>didn't</I> cry. Heh. It was me and eight boys, so I was the only one crying, but I didn't really mind...not all tears are an evil, after all.<P>Was I the only one who was somewhat shocked by the change in the Frodo/Sam/Gollum story, where Frodo sends Sam away? Not to mention the fact that <I>Sam actually goes?</I> I was kind of disappointed by that, though it worked in the end.<P>As for Arwen...yeah, this was her best movie. I still didn't really like her, but she was much more tolerable, even <I>almost</I> likeable. (You must understand that it's a huge thing that I'm admitting this at all.) I don't know what was different about her, but she was really much better.<P>I was a little disappointed that they left out the other Dunédain. I felt that that could have been cool. But I was more disappointed that they left out Saruman with no more than a "Oh, and by the way, Treebeard, watch out for Saruman, would you?" "Sure, no problem." Back to the main plotline, with no more mention of this incredibly dangerous villain. (Also, I know that this was vital to the 'revised' plotline, but Gandalf's statement that Saruman had 'no power' anymore irked me. It seems like that's getting off a little easy. You flood the town and all of a sudden Saruman's helpless?) And of course, the Scouring of the Shire is sorely missed. I heard that it was Peter Jackson's least favorite part of the books--which shows an abysmal lack of taste, IMHO--and that's why it wasn't filmed.<P>I was blown away by Billy Boyd's performance. The Palantír scene was awesome, as well as the scene where he pledges his service to Denethor, and...who knew he could sing? He has a beautiful voice!<P>Overall, I enjoyed it a lot. There were a few things I would have changed, but it was a beautiful ending to a beautiful trilogy. And I cried buckets when it ended.<P><B>Added:</B><P>I just got back from my second viewing, since my brother couldn't make it at midnight. Now that I'm a little calmer about the whole thing, I realize just how much better <I>all</I> of the actors were. Billy Boyd really got a chance to shine in Minas Tirith. Elijah Wood was spectacular, especially at Mt. Doom. Viggo Mortenson...I can't even begin to find words for just how much he made me love Aragorn again. Dom Monaghan made me cry when Pippin left Rohan, and I mean cry hard; the look on Merry's face was so sad. I couldn't love Sean Astin more than I already did, but he was wonderful again...I could just go on, but it would basically be a cast list, so I'll just stop there.<P>I have to give major props to all the actors who played the soldiers of Gondor and Rohan. The second time 'round I realized that part of the reason that the Battle of Pelennor Fields was so intense was that each and every soldier had really realistic expressions on their faces; each time you saw a soldier, you felt the terror and pain that they felt. Way to go, guys.<p>[ 6:34 PM December 17, 2003: Message edited by: Orual ]
Old 12-17-2003, 12:09 PM   #10
Salix
Shade of Carn Dűm

Salix has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I personally loved it. I found it much better than TTT, but I also barely noticed the changes, except for the Frodo-sending-Sam-away. This time round, I found Arwen and Elrond almost palatable. Still think that Elrond is too Agent Smith-ish, and Arwen was just badly picked, but as my dad remarked "it's like someone gave him (Hugo Weaving) some acting lessons. I don't think that Cate Blanchett did a very good job as Galadriel, considering I can't think of her without thinking about a character named Petal from the Shipping News. Except for those gripes though, I'm happy with the film. The change with Frodo sending Sam away is acted well, and I am able to ignore for the most part the fact that it's a deviation from the book. All in all, I think it's a fine movie.
Old 12-17-2003, 12:47 PM   #11
Elassar 516

Elassar 516 has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

I personaly didn't like the movie nearly as much as the others, although I am an obsessive-compulsive, overly critical perfectionist. I especialy disliked Elrond showing up with Anduril. Other than that I hated the Legolas stunt, TTT ones were okay but this was really pushing it (although I did like Legolas and Gimli counting orcs! )I also didn't like the whole Frodo/Sam/Gollum thing. Mordor was WAY to small and what about the whole Barad-Dur lighthouse, besides, after the clips you see of Barad-Dur before I didn't think it was big enough, strong enough, scary enough etc. Athough Minas Morgul was good. And Shelob wasn't at all what I thought she would be, they really could have done more (bigger, more eyes, longer legs, a faint green luminescence underneath etc.) I didn't miss The Scouring of the Shire as much as I thought and at the end the needed to do more with the Elven Rings, plus Bilbo was really ugly, athough when he asks about the ring that was good. That's just scratching the surface, but all I shall say for now. Aside from all of that, it is growing on me.
Elassar 516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2003, 01:01 PM   #12
Nibinlondwen
Pile O'Bones

Nibinlondwen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

there are no other words... LOVE
Old 12-17-2003, 01:04 PM   #13
Lossentilien
Wight

Lossentilien has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I need to see it again. I was too overwhelmed to really remember it in detail, as I ended up being totally caught up in it. <BR>To be honest though, I was a little dissapointed. There were more cheezy moments in this one, and I so wish it had been longer! I was really looking forward to the Houses of Healing, and Theoden's death wasn't what I expected, neither were the Paths of the Dead. But I loved Shelob. Made my skin crawl. Spiders...eugh. <P>I reckon the extended dvd will be fantastic, but my first impression was that there was too much for them to cram into such a short time, which was kinda depressing. I would've happily sat there for a few more hours.<BR>Only one question, what do we do now? <BR>See it again and look forward to the dvd I guess, but still. Christmas won't ever be the same again.
Old 12-17-2003, 01:17 PM   #14
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

Overall I thought it was very good. My main criticisms centre around Theoden's death (lack of Eomer, lack of dismay, lack of tears), Aragorn's arrival to the Pellenor (basically just coming in the back door, wasn't it?) and, of course, the ridiculous Frodo/Sam/Gollum sequence where Frodo sends Sam away (why? really, why?)<P>But generally I liked it very much, especially the events after the destruction of the Ring. Tears in my eyes.
Old 12-17-2003, 01:47 PM   #15
Mariska Greenleaf
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Mariska Greenleaf has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

It was a good thing to be aware of the changes PJ made to this movie, and therefor the absence of the mouth of Sauron, the house of healing, the scouring of the Shire, and the complete absence of Saruman and Grima were things I already accepted. So be it.<P>I was completely blown away by ROTK. I have enjoyed it very very much, I did a lot of crying, a bit laughing, and most of the time I just sat there with my mouth wide open, I mean, I've never seen anything like it.<P>I don't feel like complaining about some changes, because the general feeling is a good one, a fantastic one!<P>Personal highlights of the movie(no chronical order)<P>*The very first scene with Smeagol and Deagol, and the changing of Smeagol into Gollum.<P>*Pippin and the palantir.<P>*Gollum, I enjoyed him a lot more than in TTT, he was pure evil.<P>*The army of the death.<P>*Shelob!<P>*Eowyn and Merry and the witchking.<P>*Theoden riding in front of his men and crossing the spears with his sword.<P>And many more, but these things are the ones that spring to mind. I'm going for a second viewing next week, maybe I'll be able to add some more.
Old 12-17-2003, 04:03 PM   #16
Carorëiel
Haunting Spirit

Carorëiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I just got home from seeing it--I'm a bit overwhelmed. I need at least two viewings before it all sets in.<P>But my first impressions are thus (not necessarily in any sort of order):<P>--Saruman feels too easily dispensed with.<P>--Billy Boyd was amazing.<P>--Elijah Wood was amazing.<P>--Eowyn and Faramir's stories seem ridiculously un-tied up (especially since there was such an effort to tie pretty much everything else up). I think this bit would feel unfinished even to people who haven't read the books. <P>--The Mouth of Sauron would have been a nice inclusion. Without him, it seems that less is at stake.<P>--Too much was cut from Frodo and Sam's journey through Mordor. Just little moments really--but I missed them. Things like Sam finding Frodo through singing and the forced march because F&S are assumed to be orcs. (That last one really isn't so little, actually.) <P>--What is <I>up</I> with the bit where Frodo tells Sam to go away? And Sam actually <I>does</I>. No good at all. <P>--The scene between Faramir and Denethor where Denethor admits he wishes Faramir had been the one to die is really good.<P>--Thought the pacing was very good--much better than tTT.<P>--Where is Aragorn revealing himself to Sauron through the palantir?<P>--Starting with Deagol and Smeagol was cool.<P>--Was extremely gratified to see that the movie ended just as the book did--with Sam coming home. Very nice.<P>--Loved the beginning of the end credits with the pictures of the characters next to the credit for each actor. Classy.<P>I think that's enough for now.<P>More later perhaps--will certainly be seeing it again.
Old 12-17-2003, 04:55 PM   #17
DarkRose
Wight

DarkRose has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to DarkRose
Sting

I am in AWE. I believe that was the most amazing movie I've ever seen. I sat, my eyes wide and my jaw ajar the entire time. I was completely and utterly engulfed in it. Even now I can barely pick and choose my favorite parts because the entire thing was just SO excellent.<P>I don't mind the changes at all. Unlike some of the changes in the other two movies that made me cringe, these seemed to work. The flow of the movie was perfect, and at the two hour mark it felt like I had been sitting there for only five minutes. <P>My heart raced during the entire movie, especially during the Shelob and battle parts. I cried during the beautiful parts and the sad parts, which covers a large portion of the film, heh. <P>I agree with Orual</b> about Pippin's voice. Who knew we had a singing hobbit on our hands? <P>Overall? Amazing. Astounding. Beautiful. Breath-taking.<P>I can't express in words how much I loved it. I plan to see it again immediately.
Old 12-17-2003, 05:25 PM   #18
Enorëiel
Wight

Enorëiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

WOW! That was amazing! I loved it!! I want to see it again right now! Luckily two or three of my friends didn't go with me and my other friends last night therefore meaning I have a perfectly valid excuse to go see it again this weekend!!!<P>I have to admit, I wasn't overly thrilled with the opening scene of Smeagol and Deagol. It wasn't bad but eh - Didn't particularly care for it *dodges arrows*.<P>I agree with Eomer of the Rohirrim, I missed the same things about Theoden's death. Where was Eomer? Dismay? Gah! I still loved it though! It was very well put together. Though, did they ever really show Eowyn again until the Corination? Those who have read the book know what happened in between then but, what about the movie viewers? Oh well, EE will come out eventually.<P>I, like many, didn't care for the Frodo sending Sam away scene - how could he? That's not like our Frodo to do such a thing? The sequence worked well in the end but still, why? <P>Shelob was great (chills up my spin, gah! Hate spiders!!) and so was the final scene on Mount Doom. I thought that was done very well. <P>I wasn't too fond of the ending, mostly because, well, it was the ending; I didn't want it to end!<BR> <P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Only two hours of sleep, no caffeine, and I am more energetic than usual <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Wow! You sound just like me! I didn't get home till 5 o'clock! Luckily today was SEC day so instead of only one hour, I got two!

Whoever said "Nothing is impossible" never tried to slam a revolving door.
Enorëiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2003, 05:25 PM   #19
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

It was too long and there wasn't enough Denethor.<P>I was taking notes throughout the film. I'll post a link to a full Meelarific review once I've written it up.
Old 12-17-2003, 05:28 PM   #20
Arathiriel
Shade of Carn Dűm

Arathiriel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Arathiriel
Silmaril

Wow - <B>ROTK so ROCKED!</B> <P>I am really am in awe of the wonderful job PJ and company did!<P>It will be <B>HIGHWAY</B> robbery if ROTK doesn't win Best Picture!!!!
Old 12-17-2003, 05:39 PM   #21
Eöl
Animated Skeleton

Eöl has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

HAH, It was so AWESOME.<P>I love the way they pictured Gandalf fighting. I LOVED It, i always watched close when he was fighting, and it seemed well developed, he had a sense of elvish fighting , or so it seemed.<P>Anyway, not that i hated the rest, i also enjoyed the deatharmy and the blowing of the horn of Rohan pretty much. And legolas' assault upon the oliphaunt <P>Loved the rest aswell
Old 12-17-2003, 06:17 PM   #22
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

This one is the best of the three. The battle scenes were incredibly moving, when "Rohan had come at last", I wept like a baby, and continued to do so all the way through the battle - ironically, up until the Eowyn/Witch King fight which, while my favourite part of the book, was not done well, I thought. She was scared and she wasn't a particularly skilled swordswoman. And Theoden's death wasn't touching enough either, I don't know why.<BR>Another small quibble was the Shelob scene, yes she was impressive but it just went on too long.<BR>But overall I thought it was great. <BR>Oh, and a very nice cameo by the Elven smiths reforging Anduril.
Old 12-17-2003, 06:56 PM   #23
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

This was a wonderful film. Much more different in many ways than I expected, but still really cool. I thought that Pelennor Fields was the highlight, it was so amazing! I actually cared about the people involved with it (Helm's deep I kind of in a way just wanted it to end) and the wide shots with the Army of Rohan! So amazing! And Denethor! He was so mean, I actually felt sorry for Faramir . Oh and Gollum, so evil, I really wanted to kill him during this film. Overall I loved it, but I really need to see it again
Old 12-17-2003, 07:11 PM   #24
Amarantha_Daisy
Wight

Amarantha_Daisy has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Oh god...I loved it!<P>I think it was all really well done. The only thing I didn't really like was, of course, the scene when Frodo sends Sam away. It was just so pointless and out of character...Blah.<P>I loved Eowyn! When she said "I am no man" the whole theater started cheering It was great.<P>You know...I agree with <B>Meela</B> (although maybe for different reasons ) I don't think there was enough Denethor. He seemed kind of...random, really. I think he should have had a bigger part. What I *did* see though, I liked!<P>Ummm...I expected a bit more in Mordor...The whole travelling thing seemed a bit short, like it only took a day to get through there.<P>I am *so* glad I read spoilers beforehand. If I hadn't, and was completely surprised...Well I probably would have spazzed out and made sure *everyone* knew of the changes...<P>Um...I'm too excited to talk much right now I'm seeing it again tomorrow, so maybe I'll post more then!
Old 12-17-2003, 07:12 PM   #25
Lëowen
Haunting Spirit

Location: my computer chair, being smothered by my impossibly large cat
Lëowen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Lëowen
Shield

RotK was <I>incredible</I>!<BR>Even with the changes, I thought it more than made up for TTT, and it is by far the most amazing film I've ever seen. <P>I loved the battle of Pelennor field, and the lighting of the beacons! It was just so intense and believable. Minas Morgul and Minas Tirith were breath-taking, and the eagles were wonderful. <P>Overall, the only things I can complain about were Saruman suddenly disappearing, and the fact that they left out Ghan-buri-Ghan and the Mouth of Sauron. I wish they had done something else with Faramir and Eowyn, but I guess I'll just have to wait. <P>I can't wait to see it again!
Old 12-17-2003, 07:25 PM   #26
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

OK, I admit it. I was positively overawed.<P>I'd boned up on all the plot changes before I went to make sure there was nothing totally unexpected. And, based on the spoilers, I already had a lengthy list of complaints filed away in the back of my brain. And yes, there were things that I would have done differently, both in this movie and the series as a whole. But I filed my list away and went into the theater vowing that I would forget probing analysis while I was actually there. Instead, I promised myself to respond to the movie as a tale about Middle-earth that was worth telling, and not worry so much about whether or not this or that deviated from the books that I've loved so deeply all these years. <BR> <BR>Far more than the other films, RotK hooked me in on the level of feeling, rather than simply intellect. There were half a dozen scenes where I was crying and others where I had chills or sat on the edge of my seat. I can't remember the last time that happened to me in a movie. I stared mesmerized at the credits and when I finally wandered into the parking lot, it was as if I was ripped from one world to another, and not altogether willingly. I looked around and began asking myself what the cars and pavement were doing there. Very strange.<BR> <BR>So either I'm going looney, or somehow this movie struck an emotional cord that was far more compelling than either of the earlier ones (although I do like Fellowship a lot for very different reasons).<P>Tomorrow, I will sit back and drag out my list of "he should have dones", think about them some more, and post again. There were definitely things that could have been better in this movie and the series as a whole and which I still have deep feelings about. <P>But tonight, I just wanted to say thanks. When I first read these tales so long ago, I kept hoping that someone would do a movie that would capture some of the feeling of Tolkien's tale. Years went by and that didn't happen, at least in my opinion. Jackson is not the master Tolkien is. He's emphasis is different. He's long on action and a bit short on poetry and wonder. But I think he's given it an honest shot and, particularly in RotK, left us images and hints of Middle-earth that are worth remembering. So thanks to Peter Jackson for having the gumption to envision this project some seven years ago and actually carry it out. Thanks for getting a lot of things right, especially in RotK, which hammered away at basic themes like sacrifice and friendship and hope.
Old 12-17-2003, 07:59 PM   #27
Fíriel of Ao Tea Roa
Pile O'Bones

Fíriel of Ao Tea Roa has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Where were the characters and the spirit? Where was the trust in the book? It has passed like rain on the mountain, like a wind in the meadow. The money has gone down in the West, behind hills into shadow. How did it come to this?<P>..<P>I am off to see "Return of the King" again right now and will probably enjoy the experience much more - the first shock will pass, like Frodo into the West..<P>I already fear though that the opening and closing of this installment is the weakest of all. But again, the extended version may change all this. After all, it gave a whole new meaning to "The Two Towers", too, with its pace more relaxed and more allowance for character developments and sidestories.<P>Tenna' ento lye omenta!
Old 12-17-2003, 08:10 PM   #28
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Rose Cotton has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> I stared mesmerized at the credits and when I finally wandered into the parking lot, it was as if I was ripped from one world to another, and not altogether willingly. I looked around and began asking myself what the cars and pavement were doing there. Very strange. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I felt the same exact way. I didn't want to leave. I really was prepared to say at the theater the rest of the day. (this is after the midnight showing)<P>I loved this movie. I think the best part was being around so many fans. For the other two films I hadn't gone to the opening shows so I was never with the hard-core fans. But this time I was right in the mists of people who just wanted a good show. <P>They cheered when Elrond brought Anduril, when Theoden said that Rohan would come to the aid of Gondor (even though we all knew he would), and whenever Sam did something heroic.<P>These are parts of the film I personaly enjoyed:<P>SAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!<BR>Sea n Astin deserves so much praise! His protrayal of Sam is just incredible. I even don't mind the part where Frodo sends Sam away. I understood that it was supposed to get Frodo and Gollum alone, increase the tension, and to make Sam's appearance all the more exiting. <P>SHELOB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!<BR>She was wonderful! Terrifying! Spectacular! I thought she was so creepy and her fight was Sam was all that I could have hoped for. And when Sam thought that Frodo was dead I cried for the first time in any movie.<P>Mount Doom! Elijah's acting here was beautiful and puts into perspective his whole journey. This part was exactly as I pictured it.<P>PIPPIN! Wow! I have been waiting for this for so long and Billy delivers. The sequence when Pippin is singing over shots of Faramir riding to battle is so chilling!<P>I also enjoyed Denethor's part. The pyre scene was great! And the Witch King death was just as I pictured it.<P>The only things that I didn't like was the absence of the Houses of Healing and the Mouth of Sauron. I also think there should have been a bit more Merry.<P>By the way, did anyone else notice that two of the Gondorian children looked alot like two of the Rohan refugees who looked remarkibly like hobbit children!! <P>I didn't see PJ though. I assume that he has a cameo in this movie. <P><BR>I'm going to see the movie again on Friday so I'll have a better opinion of the whole movie.
Old 12-17-2003, 08:37 PM   #29
Beruthiel
Shade of Carn Dűm

Beruthiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

There simply aren't enough words to describe how I am feeling right now. Awe would have to be one. ROTK blew me away, I have never felt so many different emotions from just watching one movie. Another word would be Sadness, it is the end of these movies and the end of the journey.<P>I think ROTK was a beautiful movie that did what it was meant to do, complete the journey. I never felt any dissapointment throughout the entire film. I was either open-mouthed or crying during those 3 and half hours. Everything was done to perfection and any doubts I had when I walked into the cinema were erased and I'm actually annoyed at myself for thinking that PJ wouldn't be able to pull this off. But he did, and he did it brilliantly. <P>There were so many moments which really stood out to me. The opening scene with Deagol and Smeagol and his change into gollum was fascinating. Any scene that Pippin or Merry were in was fantastic as well, I cried (even more than I was already) when Pippin left with Gandalf. The look on Merry's face broke my heart. Minas Tirith was extremely well done. I don't know why but I really loved the lighting of the beacons, those amazing sweeping shots were beautiful. When Faramir rode off to that suicide mission and all you could hear was Pippin singing was a brilliant scene. Eowyn and Merry against the Witch King is another favourite. Of course, Frodo and Sam on Mount Doom was... see the loss for words yet again. It was just so heart breaking, yet to see these two together, "At the end of all things" it made me cry even though I knew they'd be alright.<P>All the battles were great, regardless of Legolas' over-the-top stunt. I may sound rather gory but I was so glad PJ put in the catupulting of the soldier's heads. I really wanted that to be in the movie so thank you PJ!! The Ride of the Rohirrim was great but I agree with some of you that Theoden's death wasn't as sad as it should have been. I admit, I did cry but I wanted to see Eomer grieve for him.<P>Faramir and Eowyn's love story would have been nice but I understand PJ not putting it in. The pacing of the film was good and putting in this or the Houses of Healing may have shortened time for other scenes. <P>But without a doubt, the best part of the ENTIRE film was when Sam got home and said that amazing line..."Well, I'm back..."<BR>Briliant stuff.
Old 12-17-2003, 09:52 PM   #30
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

The Only Real Estel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Was I the only one who was somewhat shocked by the change in the Frodo/Sam/Gollum story, where Frodo sends Sam away? Not to mention the fact that Sam actually goes? I was kind of disappointed by that, though it worked in the end.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Did Sam have much of a choice? Gollum had already convinced Frodo that Sam was going to take the Ring, & that he'd been porking out on what little food they had. It's not like Frodo would've allowed him to come anyway. This was truly one of my least favorite parts of the entire movie . It really tore me up to see it, especially because of the way that Frodo & Sam always stuck together & found a way to get things doen in the books . I was also a bit suprised at the battle. Seriously, there was...barely any . I'd been hearing 'oh! it's going to be better than Helm's Deep! oh! it's going to be massive & awesome', & really, I wasn't all that impressed by it. You could see even less than the first two movies, & there just wasn't enough of it...there was more running & retreating than anything. I just knew there would be that one lame moment when Arwen turns back...I just knew it. I was kind've hoping against hope that it wouldn't be there, that somehow PJ would find a way to make it work, but that never really happened. Better than her jumping out of the boat as they shove off I suppose...And what's this about Arwen's life being tied to the Ring? Really, that is a little-er-a lot to much for me to swallow. But after all of that I will say that I thought it was a great movie (& certainly worth my money!), but it'll probably take me another time or two to warm up to it a bit more .
The Only Real Estel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2003, 09:52 PM   #31
Meneltarmacil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: The bottom of the ocean, discussing philosophy with a giant squid
Meneltarmacil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Eye

Well, I thought this movie was the best of the three, and very touching indeed. Mount Doom especially. I know I may have not wanted it to be changed at first, but now that I've seen it, I think that it was the most emotional moment of the whole movie.<P>One complaint though... I know the whole Gollum/Smeagol scene was good, but they sholud have scrapped it in favor of the Voice of Saruman.<P>Other than that, the movie was absolutely magnificent.
Old 12-17-2003, 09:59 PM   #32
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

The Only Real Estel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Ah good point about the Mt. Doom scene there, Meneltarmacil. I think Jackson realized that to have Gollum simply fall of the edge while celebrating would've come across as a little to corny, so I don't mind the change. Still, he had me totally freaked out that he'd have Frodo push Gollum in!
The Only Real Estel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2003, 10:00 PM   #33
Tar-Alcarin
Wight

Tar-Alcarin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Now, I hate legolas, but you have to admit, that stunts he pulled on the oliphant just rocked. <BR>any ways, i loved it. Iwas better than the Fellowship was and certainly better than TTT. But I was jumping up and down in my seat before the battle of Pelennor. I really liked the part where Denethor jumps to his death. <BR>But the best scene of all the films was the lighting of the beacons. That was just amazing. It could not have been better than it was. One of the people i went with was sobbing so much we got stares coming out of the theater. I could go on and on but i cant and wont. One more thing, Shelobs cave was cool, so was the beacon of Minas Morgul. Oh, and pippen singing to Denethor while they rode into death was so artistic. <BR>I will say no more.
Old 12-17-2003, 11:52 PM   #34
faenaduial

Silmaril

After reading these posts I feel like I am the only one who was majorly disappointed in this movie.<P>I read the spoilers and was prepared for most of the big changes: no scouring of the Shire, no Mouth of Sauron, no Saruman, or so I thought.<P>Here are the things I had a major problem with:<P>FRODO SENDS SAM AWAY! I'm sorry, this is just totally against character.<P>ARWEN WILL DIE IF THE RING IS NOT DESTROYED! Why - since when is Arwen's life tied to the ring.<P>GANDALF BEATS DENETHOR WITH HIS STAFF! This again is totally against character. Not only does he beat him with the staff in one scene, he basically casts knocks him back on the funeral pyre later in the movie.<P>I'm sorry I know some changes are necessary to make a movie entertaining. Things that are great on the written page don't always transfer well onto the screen, but I could find no good reason for any of these changes.<P>I was very disappointed. I loved the first two films even though they had a few changes I didn't agree with. I was thrilled that such an amazing job was done in bringing the books to life. I just didn't feel that this movie did justice to RotK.<P>I did love all the performances by the actors. All of them did a terrific job and I thought Elijah, Sean and Andy were amazing.<P>I think in a few days I will try to see the movie again. Maybe the second time I will warm up to it. Its very hard not to keep comparing the movies to the books when you've been reading them for the last thirty years.
Old 12-18-2003, 12:44 AM   #35
Bill the Pony
Pile O'Bones

Bill the Pony has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

What a movie! I'm sure I would have cried through the whole thing if not for the buffoonish audience in attendance! I wanted to strangle half of them - laughing in serious scenes and making asinine comments the whole way through!!!! Gaarrrrgh! <P>I could deal with Frodo telling Sam to leave in the context of PJ's interpretation of the characters. Arwen, however, could have just gone to the Havens for all I cared! Those valuable minutes could have been spent on the Mouth of Sauron or the Houses of Healing...or even Eowyn/Faramir, if there had to be a sappy love scene.<P>Visually, it was magnificent, and the acting was quite fine. My main beef: where was the music? That was what I really missed in this movie - they must have waited until the last minute to tell Shore what he had to do or something, because the score was just not up to the rest of the movie. New thread here? I do have much more to say about it (being an edjumicated musician and all).<P>Overall, great movie, and I'll certainly see it again (sans idiotic audience)
Bill the Pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2003, 01:33 AM   #36
Dininziliel
Wight

Dininziliel has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I have said on another thread that if people leave the theatre more taken with the themes--love, faith, forgiveness, the inescapable wages of fear and lust for power--that much could be forgiven. I am a very grateful Tolkien "fanatic" tonight.<P>I'll try to keep this short (but warn you it is still long ), so here go the non-chronological bullets in two categories.<P>What worked/was brilliant/what I'm grateful for:<BR>*Gimli finally getting his dignity back while retaining his movie function as comic relief.<BR>*Aragorn's battle speech was not just another rehashing of <I>Braveheart</I>. I found myself moved by it.<BR>*Sam's very human reactions to the stress and extreme hurt, which made his decision to return to Frodo a wonderful underscoring of the book's themes.<BR>*Gandalf telling Pippin about passing from this world to the next. Gave the aforementioned themes much needed clout.<BR>*Merry & Pippin's deep friendship.<BR>*Sam & Frodo's friendship.<BR>*The bravery of Jackson and actors to show innocent affection of friendship.<BR>*The Dead while in the cave/castle.<BR>*Faramir's scene with his father--"Then you wish it were me instead of Boromir . . ."<BR>*Famamir and his small army leaving Minas Tirith.<BR>*The forging, giving and unsheathing of Anduril.<BR>*Gollum's embodiment of sheer and utter self-abandonment to the Ring. (If I ever need an inducement to stay with natural highs, I need only recollect his face in a couple of scenes.)<BR>*That Jackson, Walsh, Boyens kept most of the classic, must-have (IMO) lines that define and give scope and profundity to the story--the best example being the last line in the movie. <BR>*Boyd's performance and part--the singing-battle montage, oath to Denethor . . .<BR>*The Rohirrim--Theoden's rousing speech and then their galloping attack. The thought occurred to me, "Now I know why Grima cried at Isengard."<BR>*Astin's, Wood's, Monaghan's, Mortensen's, McKellan's, Otto's, Hill's, and Serkis'/Pixar's? performances.<BR>*Frodo's inner struggle with the Ring at the Crack of Doom.<BR>*Frodo's decision to opt for life instead of death when he grabs Sam's hand.<BR>*The editing and lack of glaring continuity gaffes.<BR>*The songs in Tolkien's languages.<BR>*The credits.<P>Things to do differently/things missing:<BR>*Shelob could have been the more disgusting and bloated horror described in the book.<BR>*No Saruman/Grima--it was as if Jackson, Walsh & Boyens couldn't figure out what to do and so ignored it, hopefully so they'd have more time to think and get it right in the EE. <BR>*No 3rd palantir to more fully explain Denethor's descent into madness through despair. They got the pride right, though.<BR>*Unless I spaced out, the more descriptive name "Paths of the Dead" was never mentioned. It was always referred to by its more obscure name. Seems like a wasted natural chance for tension.<BR>*Eowyn & Faramir--too fast, too convenient; there has to be more in the EE.<BR>*Gollum setting Sam up w/lembas theft instead of the wonderful scene where Sam is startled awake, thinks Gollum is pawing Frodo, believes the worst and ruins the last chance Gollum has for redemption. This would was another place where tension and pathos in the story would have worked onscreen.<BR>*Same strange dismissal of another natural book tension/pathos element--Mouth of Sauron comes out and sneeringly displays the mithril coat and Frodo's clothes. The fact that the West fights despite believing all is truly lost was key to the story; however, the point made by the shot of their being surrounded and outnumbered was okay.<BR>*Jump-cutting back and forth between Frodo-Gollum struggling with Ring and Batttle of Cormallen during the very climax of the story (and all 3 movies) was frustrating and undercut the effectiveness of both scenes for me. I almost shouted, "Stop doing that!"<BR>*The deletion of the line, "It will not occur to Sauron's mind that anyone who possesses the Ring would seek to destroy it." This could have been easily included in one of at least two places either by Aragorn or Gandalf, and, would have added to understanding the way Sauron/Evil works. <P>The changes in RotK didn't affect the story, or me , as much as TT. I loved FotR and could accept the changes there. I feel they did an even better job at staying faithful to the story's themes and meaning <I>and</I> delivering a wonderful movie in the process.<P>So, I too, wish to thank Peter Jackson, the actors, writers, and everyone connected with the making of the film, for what they did for me as well as the audience today. It was a joy and a sorrow. It brought to our sad and insane 4th Age world something it needs very much right now--the story of Love and fear struggling within all of us, and that Love is the better choice . . . no matter what happens around us.
Old 12-18-2003, 01:50 AM   #37
Lyta_Underhill
Haunted Halfling

Location: an uncounted length of steps--floating between air molecules
Lyta_Underhill has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Alas, it is late, and I, like others, am overawed at the whole thing, but I'll add some comments upon a first watching...<P>Wonderful Smeagol/Deagol scenes at the beginning, with Smeagol's transformation to Gollum. Really captured the torture of the murder with which he began his ownership of the Ring...very real!<P>I'm not sure what to think of the whole Frodo/Sam/Gollum frameshift. I just didn't think Sam would really leave when Frodo told him to go. Not sure what to make of that yet...<P>Paths of the Dead: awesome! Esp. the coalescing cities of the Dead and Aragorn's coolness/firm power when surrounded--mirrors his demeanor when he is surrounded at the Black Gate as well. "I keep no hope for myself." What a guy! He seems to have gotten over all that indecision quite nicely!<P>Some might find this strange, but the part that brought the most tears to my eyes was Pippin singing. The montage with Denethor sending Faramir away to a hopeless mission while Pippin sings a mournful sounding song brought me closer to crying than anything else in the movie, including the Grey Havens. (I told my husband about this, and he said wryly, "I didn't think his singing was that bad!") *snerk!*<P>I was so happy to hear my ..."end of all things" line come from Frodo's lips when they are trapped in the island in the sea of lava at Mt. Doom. Also the "Naked in the Dark" scene was sublimely done--Elijah Wood impresses me more and more! Also, thought "foaming Frodo" after the spider's sting was appropriate (husband wants to see action figure of this, strangely enough)--the whole Shelob experience was frightening, but I thought Frodo flopped about in too many spiderweb beds. Could have just been altered timesense. That tunnel seemed to go on FOREVER!!!! (I'm sure Frodo felt that way too!)<P>Also, still debating the "most intense" performance, but for sheer power of dark despair, Denethor has it hands down! He is as imposing as his despair and they seem to physically and spiritually drag him down in an epic way. Denethor is larger than life and his death (modified slightly but not much) is fitting. <P>One thing that REALLY impressed me and that I believe someone else may have mentioned was the looks on the faces of the combatants. The Rohirrim, the Gondorians at the Gates of Minas Tirith, the soldiers at the Black Gate, everyone! It has a resonance when Aragorn gives his "today we fight" speech at the Black Gate.<P>I did miss the obvious dramatic moment of the Mouth of Sauron casting Frodo's belongings upon the ground in front of Gandalf, Aragorn, Pippin, et. al. (Merry, too!)<P>Also, I lost some of the action in the battle scenes due to really quick panning, or maybe I was just too close to the screen. There were sound problems with the print I watched as well. One last note: when Pippin catches the bouquet at Sam's wedding, why does he look over at Merry? <P>There are lots more things to be said, but it is late and I cannot think of them at the moment! Thanks for letting me rant a bit!<P>Cheers,<BR>Lyta<P>P.S. Dressed in Frodo costume and one person recognized it...there's hope yet! (Made Aragorn costume for husband in about 3 minutes...record time! No one knew he was Aragorn though. Oh well!)
“…she laid herself to rest upon Cerin Amroth; and there is her green grave, until the world is changed, and all the days of her life are utterly forgotten by men that come after, and elanor and niphredil bloom no more east of the Sea.”
Lyta_Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2003, 01:54 AM   #38
burrahobbit
Hidden Spirit

Sting

Everything was too close together.
Old 12-18-2003, 02:58 AM   #39
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Diamond18 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

I loved it, and the more I think about it the more I like it. Good night.
Old 12-18-2003, 03:24 AM   #40
Quirkette
Haunting Spirit

Quirkette has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Naturally, I loved the scene where Gollum sez scornfully that he had been sneaking! <BR>I loved the beginning. Smeagol was clearly such a naive, simple soul, and then we see him coming apart. It's like mental illness and addiction and disease--it's so haunting when the fish song from "TT" is cruely echoed like that....the music was sooo good there, too. They really ought to give an Oscar to Andy Serkis. <BR>I was floored to see Sam actually carry Frodo. It was so cool. <BR>I love when Eowyn said "I am no man!" That also got applause where I was. <BR>And I think I'll end by saying that the scariest guy in the film for me was the painted and decorated and weird-looking man on the oliphaunt. He looked way savage. <p>[ 4:42 AM December 18, 2003: Message edited by: Quirkette ]