The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-03-2012, 06:17 PM   #1
TheLostPilgrim
Haunting Spirit

TheLostPilgrim has just left Hobbiton.
"The Necromancer"

A question: Why did Sauron take on the identity of the "Necromancer"? I ask because commonly, a "Necromancer" is thought to be one with the power to raise the dead--In fiction usually a dark, evil wizard who controls armies of undead. Why was this name given to Sauron during the period in which he dwelled in Mirkwood?
TheLostPilgrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 07:09 PM   #2
Alfirin
Shade of Carn Dûm

Alfirin has been trapped in the Barrow!
The Eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLostPilgrim View Post
A question: Why did Sauron take on the identity of the "Necromancer"? I ask because commonly, a "Necromancer" is thought to be one with the power to raise the dead--In fiction usually a dark, evil wizard who controls armies of undead. Why was this name given to Sauron during the period in which he dwelled in Mirkwood?
Well, you could argue that while the Nazgul were not technically "undead" (since they never actually died) they were functionally very similar to something along the lines of litches, and anyone who was not familiar (as the wise were) with the history of them who encountered them would probably assume them to be undead. If you believed that, and you were aware of the fact the Nazgul served Sauron (or more accurately, served whoever it was who lived in Dol Guldur, it would not be a strech to assume that He was the one who had rasied them, and assuming him to be a Necromancer seems logical.
This would be doubly so if anyone was familiar with the Wtich King, who really probably actually is a necromancer (he called up the barrow wights and bad them inhabit the barrow, so he has the ability to summon spirits of some sort. And it would not suprise me if he turned out to have had a hand in the construction of the Watchers, he may have been the one to put the spirits in the stone). If a Necromancer serves an evil wizard, many might assume said wizard also knows necromancy himself.
Alfirin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 07:17 PM   #3
TheLostPilgrim
Haunting Spirit

TheLostPilgrim has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfirin View Post
Well, you could argue that while the Nazgul were not technically "undead" (since they never actually died) they were functionally very similar to something along the lines of litches, and anyone who was not familiar (as the wise were) with the history of them who encountered them would probably assume them to be undead. If you believed that, and you were aware of the fact the Nazgul served Sauron (or more accurately, served whoever it was who lived in Dol Guldur, it would not be a strech to assume that He was the one who had rasied them, and assuming him to be a Necromancer seems logical.
This would be doubly so if anyone was familiar with the Wtich King, who really probably actually is a necromancer (he called up the barrow wights and bad them inhabit the barrow, so he has the ability to summon spirits of some sort. And it would not suprise me if he turned out to have had a hand in the construction of the Watchers, he may have been the one to put the spirits in the stone). If a Necromancer serves an evil wizard, many might assume said wizard also knows necromancy himself.
Hmm...good points.
Not to go off on a tangent, but one thing I love about Tolkien's world is that while he does explain a lot (especially in The Silmarillion and other writings), not everything is spelled out to the letter for us, or, to put it more bluntly, spoon fed to us. In contrast, in the world of Harry Potter, the rules are very well defined, "Magic" is pretty well defined and we generally know what the nature of magic is generally and what it's limits are. Not such with Tolkien. While he gives a lot of history, and he created a world full of magical characters, beings, legends, heroes and sagas, he also left enough open to one's own imagination that the mysteries of Middle Earth are still discussed some seventy years later. For example, Gandalf is an immensely powerful being--But we are never told the limits of his power (except that he is limited from using force to control others and is not allowed to uncloak himself fully). But even while "cloaked" we never see the full extent or nature of his power or magic.
TheLostPilgrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 07:30 PM   #4
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfirin View Post
Yet, any association of the Nazgûl serving the Necromancer should have led the Wise to the conclusion that the power in Dol Guldur was Sauron. That doesn't appear to be the case though, as Gandalf risked directly entering Dol Guldur to learn just who the Necromancer was.
The situation actually was that the Wise thought one of the Nazgûl to be the Necromancer, and maybe that was indeed the intention of Sauron, who wanted time to rebuild, and such anonymity would have suited him well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLostPilgrim View Post
Not to go off on a tangent, but one thing I love about Tolkien's world is that while he does explain a lot (especially in The Silmarillion and other writings), not everything is spelled out to the letter for us, or, to put it more bluntly, spoon fed to us.
Which is one of the reasons this excellent forum thrives after over ten years of existence.
Old 01-04-2012, 06:35 AM   #5
Alfirin
Shade of Carn Dûm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inziladun View Post
Yet, any association of the Nazgûl serving the Necromancer should have led the Wise to the conclusion that the power in Dol Guldur was Sauron. That doesn't appear to be the case though, as Gandalf risked directly entering Dol Guldur to learn just who the Necromancer was.
The situation actually was that the Wise thought one of the Nazgûl to be the Necromancer, and maybe that was indeed the intention of Sauron, who wanted time to rebuild, and such anonymity would have suited him well.
Good point. I suppose the real reason Sauron got the "Necromancer" was that wahtever was in charge in Dol Guldur was already assumed to be a necromancer, and
once it's true nature was revealed, the name had already stuck. And since it was not considered good to call Sauron Sauron, having a convenient alternate handle would likey have been considered a handy thing. Plus as long as there were Nazgul there as well (and there usually were) it is likey that there were necromancers within the walls (if one assumes all of the Nazgul are necromantically skilled, and the Witch king is simply the best at it.)
Old 01-04-2012, 01:11 PM   #6
Legolas
A Northern Soul

Legolas has just left Hobbiton.
All good points here, and I do love what you pointed out. With the load of material we're given about this world, there's still much left to wonder about, and it's always a joy to come across people who are just discovering it for the first time.

It lies outside of the story, but it is worth remembering (or pointing out) the writing process. Among others (some with names and places with roots in Tolkien's Quenta Silmarillion),"The Necromancer" was originally just some 'black sorcerer' that Tolkien alluded to in The Hobbit as a device to make the world seem much more vast and dangerous than little ole Bilbo and his hobbit hole. He was simply namedropping. At time of publishing, Tolkien didn't know the Necromancer would be revealed as Sauron or what Sauron would be doing in Bilbo's world. It was a self-contained child's tale written with no intention of a sequel.

Even the most integral parts of the story behind The Lord Of The Rings including the story behind the Ring's power and the full identity/activities of the Necromancer and Gandalf were not conceived until after The Hobbit was published. So many people wrote Tolkien to ask for more details that he decided to write the sequel. How did the Ring come about? Where does Gandalf go? What's the Necromancer doing?

Responding to his publisher's letters in late 1937 onward encouraging him to write a follow-up to The Hobbit, he wrote:

Quote:
But if it is true that The Hobbit has come to stay and more will be wanted, I will start the process of thought, and try to get some idea of a theme drawn from this material for treatment in a similar style and for a similar audience – possibly including actual hobbits. My daughter would like something on the Took family. One reader wants fuller details about Gandalf and the Necromancer. But that is too dark – much too much for Richard Hughes' snag. I am afraid that snag appears in everything; though actually the presence (even if only on the borders) of the terrible is, I believe, what gives this imagined world its verisimilitude. A safe fairy-land is untrue to all worlds. (Letter 17)
Quote:
I did not think any of the stuff [ed. - early draft of The Silmarillion] I dropped on you filled the bill. But I did want to know whether any of the stuff had any exterior non-personal value. I think it is plain that quite apart from it, a
sequel or successor to The Hobbit is called for. I promise to give this thought and attention. But I am sure you will sympathize when I say that the construction of elaborate and consistent mythology (and two languages) rather occupies the mind, and the Silmarils are in my heart. So that goodness knows what will happen. Mr Baggins began as a comic tale among conventional and inconsistent Grimm's fairy-tale dwarves, and got drawn into the edge of it – so that even Sauron the terrible peeped over the edge. (Letter 19)
Quote:
The Hobbit sequel is still where it was, and I have only the vaguest notions of how to proceed. Not ever intending any sequel, I fear I squandered all my favourite 'motifs' and characters on the original 'Hobbit'. (Letter 23)
And later, updating them on the sequel's progress:
Quote:
I think The Lord of the Rings is in itself a good deal better than The Hobbit, but it may not prove a very fit sequel. It is more grown up - but the audience for which The Hobbit was written has done that also. The readers young and old who clamoured for 'more about the 'Necromancer' are to blame, for the N. is not child's play. (Letter 35)
As The Lord Of the Rings was being written to answer these questions somewhat, it became darker and more adult, and the world of The Hobbit was fused into the previously separate world of Tolkien's legends (which he wasn't sure would ever be published). Because of this, small changes had to be made in The Hobbit in order to reconcile the two stories (particularly Chapter 5, the account of Bilbo winning the riddle game with Gollum, which is explained in a note at the front of subsequent editions).

Sauron's character as an evil apprentice of Morgoth evolved over the years of writing; he had several names and his nature shifted a few times (originally with feline connections) before Tolkien settled on "Sauron." At one time in the writing process Sauron was named Thû the Necromancer (in The Lay of Leithian, a story that takes thousands of years before The Hobbit) which is how the association came about (as evident above in the Letter 19 excerpt).

What Sauron was doing to be called that while in Dol Guldur thousands of years later is still anyone's guess, but as I said, it is mostly a consequence of Tolkien having not actually fleshed those details out at time of writing - the references to The Necromancer, Radagast, Gandalf's travels, a council of white wizards, and a number of other things were there to impress upon children that Bilbo lived in massive world where all sorts of other things bigger than he were moving and clashing with no intention of ever explaining them further.

This is a theme of the book for me, and Gandalf even closes the book with such a thought:

Quote:
“You don’t really suppose, do you, that all your adventures and escapes were managed by mere luck, just for your sole benefit? You are a very fine person, Mr. Baggins, and I am very fond of you; but you are only quite a little fellow in a wide world after all!”

“Thank goodness!” said Bilbo laughing, and handed him the tobacco-jar.
Old 05-28-2014, 04:38 PM   #7
mhagain
Wight

mhagain has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legolas View Post
"The Necromancer" was originally just some 'black sorcerer' that Tolkien alluded to in The Hobbit as a device to make the world seem much more vast and dangerous than little ole Bilbo and his hobbit hole. He was simply namedropping. At time of publishing, Tolkien didn't know the Necromancer would be revealed as Sauron or what Sauron would be doing in Bilbo's world.
Actually the Necromancer was always meant to be Sauron, even from the earliest drafts; quoting from History of the Hobbit here:

Quote:
"Don't be absurd" said the wizard. "That is a job quite beyond the powers of all the dwarves, if they could be all gathered together again from the four corners of the world. And anyway his castle stands no more and he is flown to another darker place - Beren and Tinúviel broke his power, but that is quite another story."
That's a clear reference to the Lay of Leithian and the contemporary Silmarillion material, and leaves it in no doubt that even before LotR was begun Tolkien had this identity for him in mind.

It could of course still be a case of Tolkien lifting the character of Thû the Necromancer from his other writings and dropping him into the Hobbit, but the point remains: the Necromancer = Sauron was something that was intended even before the Hobbit was completed and the common conception that this was a later idea (one that only arose during the writing of LotR) is in fact quite false.
Old 05-28-2014, 08:05 PM   #8
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhagain View Post
It could of course still be a case of Tolkien lifting the character of Thû the Necromancer from his other writings and dropping him into the Hobbit, but the point remains: the Necromancer = Sauron was something that was intended even before the Hobbit was completed and the common conception that this was a later idea (one that only arose during the writing of LotR) is in fact quite false.
There are also several references from Letters to support this. The Necromancer originally was not connected with the Ring, though, and some might confuse that with the Sauron/Necromancer identity.
Old 05-29-2014, 03:44 PM   #9
skip spence
shadow of a doubt

skip spence is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.skip spence is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
The other night I picked up my copy of Home X, Morgoth's Ring, browsed it randomly and started reading from The Later Quenta Silmarillion. And happened to come across a part that hints at why Sauron is called the Necromancer.

Here Tolkien writes about the Elves, their potential re-birth and what happens when they suffer a physical death. He writes that if an Elf is killed, their soul, or fëa, is summoned to the Halls of the Dead in Mandos where it would receive correction, instruction, strengthening and comfort, until it (that individual) was deemed to be fit for a re-birth into a new body.

But the summons of Mandos were sometimes refused, and as he could not, or would not, force the fëa to enter the Halls of the Dead, lots of fëar would remain in Middle earth.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoME X
[they would] wander houseless in the world, unwilling to leave it and unwilling to inhabit it, haunting trees or springs or hidden places that once they knew. Not all these where kindly or unstained by the Shadow...

Some are filled with bitterness, grievance, and envy. Some are enslaved by the Dark Lord and do his will still, though he himself is gone...
... To attempt to master them and to make them servants of one own's will is wickedness. Such practices are of Morgoth; and the Necromancers are of the hosts of Sauron his servant.
Some say that the Houseless desire bodies, though they are not willing to seek them lawfully by submission to the judgement of Mandos. The wicked among them will take bodies, if they can, unlawfully ...
... and if it is admitted, then it will seek to enslave its host and use both his will and his body for its own purposes. It is said that Sauron did these things, and taught his followers how to achieve them

Last edited by skip spence; 05-29-2014 at 03:58 PM.
skip spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 04:52 PM   #10
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Interesting find, skip. I think the Barrow-wights would qualify there. Maybe the Necromancer name was derived from the Elves with that mythology in mind. Not knowing who in truth was the chief of Dol Guldur, they might have assigned him that moniker.
Old 05-29-2014, 07:33 PM   #11
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Creepy dark dude in a dark tower in a dark land that spreads dark shadow and feeling of something ghostly or undead or just pure evil. What more ground is needed for his nickname? It's not like they called him Mr. Sunshine. It didn't even have to be Elves who named him. The name could have come from any nation/race/group. Most probably the Elves did, since they're the closest, but the basis behind the name doesn't necessarily reflect that.
Old 05-29-2014, 09:11 PM   #12
Zigûr
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Zigûr is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Zigûr is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Quote:
Originally Posted by skip spence View Post
The other night I picked up my copy of Home X, Morgoth's Ring, browsed it randomly and started reading from The Later Quenta Silmarillion. And happened to come across a part that hints at why Sauron is called the Necromancer.
I noticed this once myself. As Inzil has said it does seem to explain Barrow-wights and so on, doesn't it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55 View Post
Creepy dark dude in a dark tower in a dark land that spreads dark shadow and feeling of something ghostly or undead or just pure evil. What more ground is needed for his nickname? It's not like they called him Mr. Sunshine.
That's true, but Professor Tolkien was hardly one to use names without putting any thought into them, was he? Is it more modern usage that defines 'Necromancer' as just 'Evil Sorcerer'? Because surely the Professor wouldn't have used it if he didn't have the connotations of interacting with the spirits of the dead in mind. I suppose though he might have been thinking of the "nigromancer" Latin (as opposed to Greek) folk etymology for the English word necromancer, which would of course suggest 'black magic practitioner' but that would seem like very sloppy usage from a philologist. Then again, 'Dwarves'...
Old 05-30-2014, 06:03 AM   #13
Alfirin
Shade of Carn Dûm

Well, there are things done in ME by the servant's of Shadow that certainly SOUND like straightforward necromancy, if not by Sauron than by the WK (and if the WK can do necromantic sorceries, I very much doubt his master cannot). We've covered the Barrow Wights, and I earlier mentioned the Watchers, which certainly sound like fea placed in statues (either that, or something golem-ish).
There is also the threat the WK makes to Eowyn, assuming it is not idle (i.e. that that he threatens to do to her he or his master is actually capable of.). I would say that destroying a persons body while still leaving their mind/soul trapped in this world to be tortured (which is what I think the WK is threatening) sounds like it fits squarely within the realm of necromancy.
Old 05-30-2014, 12:02 PM   #14
mhagain
Wight

mhagain has just left Hobbiton.
Thû is referred to as a necromancer as far back as the Lay of Leithian:

Quote:
Men called him Thû, and as a god
in after days beneath his rod
bewildered bowed to him, and made
his ghastly temples in the shade.
Not yet by men enthralled adored,
now was he Morgoth's mightiest lord,
Master of Wolves, whose shivering howl
for ever echoed in the hills, and foul
enchantments and dark sigaldry
did weave and wield. In glamoury
that necromancer held his hosts
of phantoms and of wandering ghosts
This is actually the passage in which he emerges almost fully-formed; the only things really missing were the Rings and Númenor (the latter of these also came from pre-LotR texts), and of course all the Third Age stuff, but otherwise we have the concept of his survival beyond the First Age ("in after days"), Lord of Werewolves, Morgoth's second-in-command, his liking for temples, his later worship by Men, etc.

So even then, in a pre-Hobbit work, the concept of Thû as a necromancer who meddled with phantoms and ghosts, was all present and correct.
Old 06-07-2014, 11:26 AM   #15
skip spence
shadow of a doubt

skip spence is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.skip spence is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zigûr View Post
I noticed this once myself. As Inzil has said it does seem to explain Barrow-wights and so on, doesn't it?
Yeah sure and also I think the werewolves, that are associated with Sauron too. A werewolf was, it seems, essentially a wolf inhabited by an evil spirit, like Carcharoth (but less formidable). It was likely werewolves that attached the fellowship near the Misty Mountains.

Last edited by skip spence; 06-09-2014 at 03:25 PM.
skip spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 07:56 PM   #16
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip spence View Post
Yeah sure and also I think the werewolves, that are associated with Sauron too. A werewolf was, it seems, essentially a wolf inhabited by an evil spirit, like Carcharoth (but less formidable). It was likely werewolves that attached the fellowship near the Misty Mountains.
Were those Tol-In-Gaurhoth type "werewolves" though? I would think the Wargs were a distinct breed of wolf with increased sentience, based on their descriptions in TH and FOTR. Since Orcs were known to actually ride on them, maybe they were Morgoth/Sauron's versions of the Mearas.