The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-12-2017, 05:01 PM   #1
Victariongreyjoy
Pile O'Bones

Victariongreyjoy has just left Hobbiton.
A better purpose for the ghost army in ROTK

I loved ROTK, but was mad about how weak the gondorian soldiers were portrayed, and how rushed the battle of Minas Tirith was concluded. Beregond should have been present in the movie, along with the Swan Knights. They should have been the reinforcement Aragorn brought with him.
I would have taken the liberty to having Sauron command the wraiths in Barrow Downs, to come forth and starting attacking the armies in Pelennor Fields. Then, in the nick of time the ghost army can arrive and destroy the wraiths.

Last edited by Victariongreyjoy; 10-13-2017 at 08:24 AM.
Victariongreyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 05:39 AM   #2
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
Dark-Eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victariongreyjoy View Post
I loved ROTK, but was mad about how weak the gondorian soldiers were portrayed, and how rushed the battle of Minas Tirith was included. Beregond should have been present in the movie, along with the Swan Knights. They should have been the reinforcement Aragorn brought with him.
I would have taken the liberty to having Sauron command the wraiths in Barrow Downs, to come forth and starting attacking the armies in Pelennor Fields. Then, in the nick of time the ghost army can arrive and destroy the wraiths.
I agree that there were a lot of aspects where the might of Gondor is needlessly diminished... Apparently the gate was the strongest part of Minas Tirith, seeing how the walls simply crumbled whenever hit with a piece of rock.

I can forgive PJ for not introducing yet another character (Beregond), but I would really have loved to see the nights of Dol Amroth.

However to introduce the Barrow Wights (Characters not previously introduced) at a random place and time seems outright silly.

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 07:53 AM   #3
Zigūr
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Zigūr is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Zigūr is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Surely it would have made more sense to have not included the Dead at all, and simply to have had Aragorn arrive with boatloads of reinforcements. Not as much of a spectacle, but it wouldn't induce a plot hole the way the film does by having them at the Pelennor.
Old 10-13-2017, 09:00 AM   #4
Victariongreyjoy
Pile O'Bones

Victariongreyjoy has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rune Son of Bjarne View Post
I agree that there were a lot of aspects where the might of Gondor is needlessly diminished... Apparently the gate was the strongest part of Minas Tirith, seeing how the walls simply crumbled whenever hit with a piece of rock.

I can forgive PJ for not introducing yet another character (Beregond), but I would really have loved to see the nights of Dol Amroth.

However to introduce the Barrow Wights (Characters not previously introduced) at a random place and time seems outright silly.
if WB were to make movies from Shadow of Mordor\War or War of The North, do you think they could include Dol Amroth and the Swan Knights in some capacity? Or perhaps they are more suited in a potential young Strider film?
Victariongreyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 10:06 AM   #5
Rhun charioteer
Animated Skeleton

Rhun charioteer has just left Hobbiton.
I think having the arrival of Elrond's two sons, some Rangers and Dol Amroth would have been very confusing to casual movie goers.

PJ originally wanted the Dead to be walking skeletons but later went to invincible undead ghost army.

I can also understand the under powering of the Gondorian soldiers-if they are portrayed as too strong(10 orcs for one Gondorian) the audience will struggle to take the threat seriously.

As for the gate-the deleted scene shows the orcs do try and use a conventional ram and get massacred for their trouble and so they bring in grond. After that Mordor uses the Olog hai quite sensibly as shock troops to shatter the Gondorian line in the courtyard and gate area.

I love the movie too but that's my take.
Rhun charioteer is offline   Reply With Quote