The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-11-2004, 06:49 AM   #1
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril **RotK EE - Special Features**

There are a number of special features on this DVD release - commentaries, background information, interviews, etc. Tell us which ones you've seen/heard and what you think of them!
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004, 03:13 AM   #2
Essex
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Essex has just left Hobbiton.
The first documentary on the 3rd DVD regarding Tolkien is the best documentary I've seen on him to date. I was also impressed at the number of Tolkien officiandoes they got to interview on the subject matter.

The book to script section concentrates on the chronological order of the books and why the film is based on this rather than the order of chapters in TT and ROTK, which we all knew about anyway. Altough one point of interest to me was Phillipa Boyens explanation of why they had Frodo topple over the edge. It was to show him making a decision on whether to die or not (as she reminds us he does in the book by sittting down by the cracks of doom and only leaving when asked to by Sam), but done in a more 'dramatic' version.

But thank god for the pick ups. It was the last day of filming and PJ only just decided to change the shot of frodo and gollum with the Ring. Up until the last minute he had Frodo PUSHING gollum over the edge. There would have been howls of protest and much gnashing of teeth if this had made the final cut.

PS Phillipa Boyens unfortunately seems to think it was Fate alone that made Gollum fall into the crack of doom. She doesn't seem to get what Tolkien was getting at in this scene, inasmuch as that it was Redemption for Frodo and all of Middle-earth because of his 'kindness' towards Gollum throughout his trials.
Essex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004, 12:31 PM   #3
Avie
Pile O'Bones

Avie has just left Hobbiton.
I cannot for the life of me recall who points this out but someone mentions the interesting parallels beteen Theoden and Denethor...both old men who have lost their sons and see the alternatives, Eomer in Theoden's case and Faramir in Denethor's, as poor substitutes. Interesting analogy.
But on another note entirely. That bloke from WETA could bore professionally for New Zealand. Pity it isn't an Olympic sport. I hear ONE more sentence about hobbit feet and I swear to God I'll eat my mac
Old 12-13-2004, 10:37 PM   #4
Elladan and Elrohir
Shade of Carn Dûm

Elladan and Elrohir has just left Hobbiton.
If they think Theoden thought Eomer was a poor substitute for him, then they're dumber than your average pretty-boy Mirkwood elf.

THE HOBBIT - IT'S COMING
Elladan and Elrohir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2004, 03:24 PM   #5
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Rose Cotton has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I loved the special features this time around. I really enjoyed hearing more information about our dear Proffesser Tolkien.

Of course any fan who heard that there would be a Aragon and Sauron duel was simply horrified including me. And so I went into the explination sceptical on how they could justify it. I still think it was a bad idea and am completely relieved that they changed it but when I was watching the explination on how it was going to be done I could help but be intriged by it. Not by the fighting but by the fact that Sauron would apear in a beautiful and glorious form.

I loved hearing all about the horses which I didn't think would be interesting at first. I also got a laugh at David Wenham's decription on how to look like your riding a horse.

Hearing the stories of the last days of the filming was very touching. And if anyone's afraid that these movies will fade from our minds we alway will know that we'll have the imprint of Viggo kissing Billy on our minds for all eternity.

You get the idea in part of the features that they're less for the fans and more for Peter Jackson and co. to try to earn our sympathy. The way they described all the trouble they went through really made me apreciate the movies.

I also enjoyed the little bit about Cameron Duncan. Very sweet.

The commetaries were what I always look forward to the most. So far I've watched the Director and Cast commentary. The cast commentary was as great as ever. Watching the director's commentary was a bit of a tease because PJ would keep hinting at scenes that he didn't put into the EE. One of which, when Samwise has to pass the watchers and Cirith Ungol, was a scene was was really hoping for and expecting.

If PJ dosn't make that 25th Anniversery Edition of the movies I'm going to have to kill him.

And thank God for pick ups and last minute changes. I don't know how many times I heard someone say, oh that was a pick up. It's like half the movie would have been gone without them.

That's pritty much my scope of the features. Can't wait till the Anniversery Edition.
Old 12-21-2004, 11:38 PM   #6
Tigerlily Gamgee
Hostess of Spirits

Tigerlily Gamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Tigerlily Gamgee
Silmaril

I haven't had a chance to watch much of the extras yet, but I've enjoyed those which I did. I watched disk one of the commentary. There are a lot of interesting things in there, and the humor of Billy Boyd and Dominic Monghan really help keep your attention. I find that when it goes too long with just factual information it tends to lose my attention. Maybe I just have a horrible attention span.

I also watched the short piece with Ngila about the costume. I loved this section, because I love the costumes, and I wish it had been longer. The close up shots of Eowyn's gowns are wonderful, because they are some of my favorites, particularly the green gown. I was pleased, we well, to see some shots of her in her blue gown that weren't just of her shoulders. I was displeased, however, that the stills gallery did not contain pictures of this gown... only the underdress with the robe. Ah well.

Lastly, I've watched the piece about the horses. I loved this piece... I mean, I've been a horse lover for years, and I even took lessons for quite some time, so this was of particular interest to me. I loved when they talked about the training of the horses, and I got the biggest kick out of where they talked about "riding the barrell" (oh David Wenham... you saucy man... hehe). I also liked at the end, where they talked about how some of the cast and crew purchased their horses because of the relationships they ha built with them. How lovely
Tigerlily Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2004, 01:02 PM   #7
Evisse the Blue
Brightness of a Blade

Evisse the Blue has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Evisse the Blue Send a message via Yahoo to Evisse the Blue Send a message via Skype™ to Evisse the Blue
IMO, the best part about this box set were the Special Features. I watched most of the documentaries and enjoyed all of them very much.

I agree with Essex that the first one concerning Tolkien was one of the best ever - it had lots (but not too much) valuable information and it was beautifully presented and commented upon by people who were obviously great admirers of the Professor.

I too loved the one about the horses... very funny it was. I thought that was beautiful, that they gave their due to the horsies, because it was obvious they played a very important part in the movie. After watching this and the sound effects documentary (where they were describing various animal sounds) it did feel like I was watching Discovery Channel! Not that I'm complaining, though.

Second to that, my favourite was the one (I forget the name) in which the crew and PJ recall the hellish days immediately before they had to hand in the completed, edited and cut ROTK movie right before the premiere...They actually came this close to not completing it and they were working under amazing pressure, days and nights on end to complete the damn thing. I laughed out loud at the part when PJ said in an interview that 'Everything was under control". Oh my. If there was an inspirational piece put together for movie makers (and not only) this is it! Sort of echoes the Fellowship's task. In the end it makes you wonder if they achieved what is still (despite some flaws) a wonderful movie, the likes of which I've yet to see accomplished - by sheer luck, by the kiss of fate or simply hard work was all it took...

The end had me all in tears, with Viggo saying Namarië and all... It's touching, isn't it, to see how difficult it was for everyone involved in this project to let go... especially since now we know exactly how they felt...
Old 12-29-2004, 05:19 AM   #8
Beruthiel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Beruthiel has just left Hobbiton.
Thumbs up

Oh I loved the features on this dvd SO much! I think its my favourite out of all the EEs. I really enjoyed the costume design one (Ngila Dickson is amazing! I want one of those dresses!), the horses riding one (who didn't think the barrel riding was hilarious?), Cameras in Middle Earth (Heart wrenching!) and the one about Cameron Duncan.

What was great about them is that you really feel part of the LOTR family that formed there and there are things that make you laugh but at the same time there are things that make you cry. I know I bawled my eyes out several times while watching this dvd!

I enjoyed the cast commentaries a lot. Billy and Dom are hilarious! Love those guys. Has anyone else seen the easter egg with Elijah and Dom? Classic!

Quote:
If there was an inspirational piece put together for movie makers (and not only) this is it!
It certainly inspired me! I wish I had the chance to work in the film industry...

This is by far my favourite of all the EEs not only because the movie is great, but the special features are just amazing! Cheers PJ!
Old 12-29-2004, 08:58 PM   #9
Arwen Imladris
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arwen Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Yet again, the Special features were incredible. I'm really glad that PJ & co. did so much work for us. It really does mean a lot to be brought into their world.

Watching Elijah's last scene, that was so sad! I almost cried! I also thought it was very interesting to see the stuff about the music, I love Howard Shore.
Old 12-30-2004, 01:38 PM   #10
Tigerlily

Sting

Yes, I found the easter egg with Elijah and Dom. And I found it very, very, very funny..I always enjoy looking for the easter eggs.
Of the special features I have only seen 2 of those on the 4th disc. Cameras in Middle Earth and The Passing of an age. But I hope that I soon will have the time to watch the other special features.
Old 01-05-2005, 04:28 PM   #11
Guinevere
Banshee of Camelot

Guinevere is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
I've only watched the first of the appendices DVDs yet.
I enjoyed the part about Tolkien very much (JRRT, the Legacy of ME) , but there's one thing that annoyed me :
they were mentioning Faramir's dream about "the great dark wave climbing over the green lands (...) darkness unescapable" and that Tolkien himself used to have this nightmare . Philippa Boyens (looking incredibly smug as usual ) explained that she wanted to use these words but "couldn't find how to use it with Faramir", so they gave the words to Eowyn, "otherwise they would have stayed in the book".

I don't see any reason why they couldn't have Faramir use this quote - after all, it only makes sense when he tells it to Eowyn - he is a descendant of the Numenoreans, and he therefore has inherited this nightmare - (Tolkien wrote in a letter that his son Christopher also had this same nightmare! )
If they let Eowyn have this dream, it has not the same meaning- what would she know of the Sea ?
And why did they have to invent this silly scene with her sleeping all alone on a sofa in the hall and Aragorn coming to her ? I (and many others) would much rather have had more of Eowyn's and Faramir's conversation!!

Sorry folks if am ranting too much , but this is but one of the many examples where original quotes are used but said by the wrong person in the wrong place, and often giving the words quite a different meaning...
It annoys me that the scriptwriters thought they could do everything better than Tolkien.
Old 01-18-2005, 10:25 AM   #12
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
I too am one of the people who love watching the special features. I'm fascinated by "making of"s and background infos. I especially enjoyed the aspects of designing - costumes, props, and sets were one of the greatest strengths of the movies and prepared with meticulous attention to details. It was wonderful to get a closer look at clothing and objects that show up only partially or very briefly in the actual film!

Appendix 6, the 4th DVD, was very special, I thought. It showed a lot of endings - the last days of the various actors' pickup shooting were celebrated with parties and gifts for each one. I must admit, I was moved to tears at seeing the cameraderie and the bonding of actors with each other, the director, authors and crew members. It was very touching to see how special this movie is to all of them.

I also enjoyed the special about the horse training and performance and was moved by the fact that several actors and stunt people bought their favorites to keep afterwards. I had already heard that Viggo bought "Brego", but was touched to hear that he bought "Asfaloth" and gave it to the stunt woman who did the riding for Arwen - she wanted that horse so much but couldn't afford it.

Now I'm working my way through the commentaries, having seen the movie with those of the director/authors so far. I enjoy the tidbits of information that they drop, especially about various cameo roles (see Those Cute Little Hobbit Children...). I also learned that fans of Sean Bean are called "Bean-Stalkers" and that Billy Boyd not only sang Pippin's song , but even composed the melody himself!

More to come when I've had time to see the rest of the commentaries...
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Old 01-20-2005, 02:42 PM   #13
Guinevere
Banshee of Camelot

listening to the commentaries of PJ, I noticed something he said about that scene when Sam & Frodo escape from the orc-company:
Quote:
...the movie is so vividly etched into your mind, I get to the point where I can't remember the differences between the book and the film. I can't remember if something was in the book or if it was an early idea for a scene that we dropped. my memory is just so muddy about all this stuff because I hadn't obviously picked up the book and actually read the book for years I only read little bits and pieces of it. Just reading sections of it, you loose the experience of the book as a whole...
Hmm... so Philippa and Fran had even more responsibility as script-writers!
Old 01-20-2005, 03:07 PM   #14
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Easter egg-- EJW is pretty respectably level-headed under fire. What struck me was, that even when he was beginning to suspect that this odd, awkward german guy might be pulling one over on him, he was still too polite to object, and too kind to embarass the guy or try to make him look foolish in return. (Look at his reaction when Dom breaks the disguise for an indication whether he was stressed.) But until Dom broke the disguise, Wood remained diplomatic, polite, and kind. He steadfastly tried to set the guy at ease, keep the interview on an even keel, and be *kind*.

How many Hollywood actors would have done half as well?
Old 01-20-2005, 03:14 PM   #15
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

Fordim Hedgethistle has been trapped in the Barrow!
Is is just me, or does it seem like a lot of the conversations that the film-makers had about the book are highly reminiscent of the way discussions go forward on the Downs? I'm not saying that they and we reach the same conclusions (or that we or they ever really do!) just that the film-makers, like us around here, tend to debate and discuss things like evil, power, addiction, free will, etc etc etc and how these 'big baggy ideas' can work (or, in the case of the film makers, be made to work) in a story about characters who look and feel like real people.
Old 01-24-2005, 06:13 PM   #16
Lathriel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Wandering through Middle-Earth (Sadly in Alberta and not ME)
Lathriel has just left Hobbiton.
I LOVE the specials and I've watched them all. At the end some of them moved me to tears (Good thing my family wasn't home cause they would have rolled their eyes)
Also David's comment about the horses, I laughed so hard.
I was also moved to tears,cause it isn't only over for them, its also over for us, the fans.
So when Viggo said Namarie I felt a little lost.

I too agree that the documentary on Tolkien was really good this time. Of course I also saw the easter egg. I fact I have seen it several times now because I keep on showing it to all my friends.
The cast commentary was great and of course Billy and Dom made it a lot of fu. I also liked it when Bernard Hill and David Wenham were questionong the beacons and how people lived up there.
BRILLIANT!!!

I agree there has to be some mega box set for the 25thy aniversary.
Old 01-24-2005, 07:33 PM   #17
Essex
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Essex has just left Hobbiton.
Guinevere
Quote:
Hmm... so Philippa and Fran had even more responsibility as script-writers!
Well said! I've been bleating on about this in various posts for ages! I picked up on it in the FOTR EE commentary where Jackson says something like "Aragorn let's Frodo go in the book", and is quickly rebuffed by Walsh and Boyens!

A lot of the diatribe (sorry for the strength of the word, but to me it IS diatribe) towards Jackson should be passed onto the real scriptwriters, Walsh and Boyens.
Essex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005, 08:20 AM   #18
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

I have now listened to the production/post-production commentary on RotK; some of what they say is not new, some is not terribly fascinating to anyone but a tech freak, but occasionally some interesting comments caught my attention. The one that really stands out was the question that the team had asked about Sam and Rosie's wedding - should there be some kind of minister involved? Apparently someone suggested the idea that Tom Bombadil could officiate - with Alan Lee playing him as a cameo!!
Old 03-25-2005, 02:30 PM   #19
Guinevere
Banshee of Camelot

Quote:
Apparently someone suggested the idea that Tom Bombadil could officiate - with Alan Lee playing him as a cameo!!
I would have enjoyed seeing Alan Lee as Bombadil though! I think he is very charming.

Another thing that struck me, when I was watching the commentaries:
To the Sammath Naur scene PJ said:
Quote:
"PJ:...I never liked the idea of Gollum dancing with joy and then accidentally falling into the lava - which is basically what happens in the book- I just personally... I know why Tolkien did it and I know all the arguments for it, but I just never wanted to do that. I felt so strongly that Frodo had to be some part of it." Boyens: "Yes!"
Well! I was rather shocked - but it explains why they first filmed Frodo actually pushing Gollum in !! I am grateful that they at least altered that, thank God.
But it is another example of how PJ thinks his own ideas better than what Tolkien intended. In a way that's natural that he wanted to portrey his own ideas, and if someone does this in a fanfiction it is o.k., but it is a responsability to present something fundamentally different to a large public who haven't read the book. They get quite a false impression.
After all Tolkien wrote in letter #181
Quote:
I should say that within the mode of the story the "catastrophe" examplifies (an aspect of) the familiar words: "Forgive us our trespasses as we forgive them that trespass against us. Lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil."
There is not much about the saving grace of forgiveness and mercy and pity in the film!
Old 03-26-2005, 04:10 PM   #20
Keeper of Dol Guldur
Shade of Carn Dûm

Keeper of Dol Guldur has just left Hobbiton.
Re:

There were some cut scenes that didn't even make the Extended Cut that I thought would have been nice, and some that while wouldn't fit, were cool.

The little video-clips of Legolas and Gimli in extravagantly nice clothes, post-crowning were cool.

It would have given a little idea of what happened to them afterward, with Legolas in blue (with a sweeeeet sword) wandering Fangorn, and Gimli, inspecting gemstones. Lots of gemstones.

I think it would have been a nice touch ... for when Frodo mentions that nobody is left unchanged after events like what happened, to show everybody doing their own thing ... Aragorn, Faramir, Eowyn, Eomer, and Imrahil, giving Theoden his funeral at Edoras, then a brief clip of Faramir and Eowyn marrying in Meduseld ... then showing Legolas, and Gimli ... I don't care how cheesy it would have been, it'd have been nice closure for all the characters. Not that the coronation wasn't nice closure, but a little more would have rocked, especially if they could fit it into a 2 minute time period, which they could have, easy.

Other than that ...

That brief, unfinished shot of Annatar, Lord of Gifts, appearing before Aragorn on the final battle, then hideously revealing his armor and monstrosity, Sauron style was really cool to see. A nice nod to the whole fact that he could trick the elves in the first place. I'm glad they cut Sauron in that battle ... but it was still cool to see.

And ...

The miniature work in this movie was sweet, especially when they used the Paths of the Dead big-ature and did the skull avalanche with a million little skulls.
"I come from yonder...Have you seen Baggins? Baggins has left, he is coming. He is not far away. I wish to find him. If he passes will you tell me? I will come back with gold." - Khamul the Easterling
Keeper of Dol Guldur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 11:23 PM   #21
peral
Animated Skeleton

peral has just left Hobbiton.
The one thing I saw as truly amazing and stuck out like a major sore thumb was the guy who animated the whole of the collapse of Barad-dur during his Christmas holidays. I mean, 18hour days 7 days a week for your whole Christmas break!!! He gave up his holidays just to make this movie work. We should really all take our hats off to these guys who went through so much just to get this movie onscreen that we just sit down with a box of popcorn and coke and watch.