The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 09-07-2004, 07:46 PM   #1
Lady Gamgee
Animated Skeleton

Lady Gamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe The Hobbit PS2 Game

I found this game just the other day and have already played & finished it twice & now started on my 3rd round It's a pretty fun game, have any of y'all played it? How long has it been out? I'd assume it's fairly new, but I dunno. What are your fav. parts of the game? Do you think it followed the book pretty closely? I was actually rather surprised that it tried to follow the book as close as it could. Your thoughts are appreciated
Old 09-08-2004, 09:46 AM   #2
Legolas
A Northern Soul

Legolas has just left Hobbiton.
When the movies came out, video games were sure to follow. Somehow it was decided that it would be split up - some games based on the movies, some games based on the books. The Hobbit wasn't a movie of course, so it was made to follow the book (just as The Fellowship of the Ring game did, made by the same folks). The Hobbit game came out for Nintendo's GameCube exclusively (to begin with). The PS2, X-Box, and PC versions were released later (last fall/early winter). As I recall, the book-based Fellowship of the Ring came out alongside the movie-based Two Towers. The book-based Hobbit came out (except for the earlier GameCube version) alongside the movie-based Return of the King.

Coincidentally, this is kind of how the animated films came out in the '70s.
Old 09-08-2004, 04:44 PM   #3
Lady Gamgee
Animated Skeleton

Pipe

Wow, you really seem to know your stuff ... video game enthusiast obviously Thanks for the info., I didn't know all that about the LOTR games. I am planning to get all of the LOTR PS2 games, now that I've finished The Hobbit, it's only the reasonable thing to do
Old 09-08-2004, 05:30 PM   #4
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Pipe

I liked The Hobbit videogame. For me it had two distinct plus points:
  • It follows the storyline of the book (well, as much as can be expected - I don't recall Bilbo having the time to play hide and seek with the Hobbiton children before leaving on his Quest, and I don't think he did quite as much fighting in the book, but that's videogames for you); and
  • It was relatively easy, which is important for me as I like to finish games and I hate having to do the same bit over and over again.
Overall, charming, nice graphics and locations, and relatively good voice acting too(the "boss" spiders were particularly (and creepily) good ). Personally, I enjoyed the Elven King's Palace level the most, as I tend to prefer problem solving in videogames rather than fighting ... and it was fun to get a chance to use the Ring .
Old 09-08-2004, 07:17 PM   #5
Lady Gamgee
Animated Skeleton

Pipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saucepan Man
I liked The Hobbit videogame. For me it had two distinct plus points:
  • It follows the storyline of the book (well, as much as can be expected - I don't recall Bilbo having the time to play hide and seek with the Hobbiton children before leaving on his Quest, and I don't think he did quite as much fighting in the book, but that's videogames for you); and
  • It was relatively easy, which is important for me as I like to finish games and I hate having to do the same bit over and over again.
Overall, charming, nice graphics and locations, and relatively good voice acting too(the "boss" spiders were particularly (and creepily) good ). Personally, I enjoyed the Elven King's Palace level the most, as I tend to prefer problem solving in videogames rather than fighting ... and it was fun to get a chance to use the Ring .

I agree, it is basically an easy game, and like you, I like to finish games and not have to go over & over with something. I like to get through them fairly quickly if possible. The problem solving was FUN! I esp. enjoyed finding all the keys in order to get the Forge working properly in order to get to the Arkenstone.

I guess my fav. parts were when Bilbo was in Mirkwood forest and in Smaug's lair ... although I was somewhat disappointed with Smaug's animation. I figured he coulda done or said more than what was given to him. I did however enjoy the massive "treasure hunts" in the lair and throughout the game. It was great and I'm anxiously looking forward to playing the LOTR games.