The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Quiz Room
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-05-2005, 03:10 PM   #481
The Squatter of Amon Rûdh
Spectre of Decay

The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Send a message via AIM to The Squatter of Amon Rûdh
Pipe A virtue, invent it if you can

Patience. Apparently he invented some new versions, which is good news for lovers of Solitaire even if it did hinder progress on the Silmarillion
Old 02-05-2005, 03:11 PM   #482
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Absolutely right, Squatter, and a delight to have you on the thread and on the forum! Pray proceed with a new one.
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2005, 03:22 PM   #483
Spectre of Decay

The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Pipe Collegiate Issues

Why thank you, Estelyn. I shall endeavour to justify your enthusiasm.

Which college did Tolkien first join, and which subject was he reading?
Old 02-05-2005, 05:59 PM   #484
Eruanna
Memento Mori

Eruanna has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

If I recall correctly, Tolkien had a scholarship to Exeter College Oxford, to study Greats (Latin and Greek).
Old 02-07-2005, 05:33 PM   #485
Spectre of Decay

Pipe

It was a Classics Exhibition, but that's close enough. Carry on.
Old 02-08-2005, 01:59 PM   #486
Eruanna
Memento Mori

Silmaril

Thank you, Squatter.
This is a very interesting thread!

Next question:
Mabel Tolkien and her two young sons returned to England from South Africa in 1895. What was the name of the ship they travelled in?
Old 02-08-2005, 03:02 PM   #487
Sophia the Thunder Mistress
Scent of Simbelmynë

Sophia the Thunder Mistress has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Sophia the Thunder Mistress
How might one pronounce that?

The SS Guelph, I believe.
The seasons fall like silver swords, the years rush ever onward; and soon I sail, to leave this world, these lands where I have wander'd. O Elbereth! O Queen who dwells beyond the Western Seas, spare me yet a little time 'ere white ships come for me!
Sophia the Thunder Mistress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005, 06:28 PM   #488
Eruanna
Memento Mori

Silmaril

You are correct in your belief, Sophia
Old 02-13-2005, 09:24 AM   #489
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
*Esty pokes Sophia
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Old 02-13-2005, 03:27 PM   #490
Scent of Simbelmynë

Pipe Goodness! I've forgotten more threads than I've remembered

My apologies.

What was one of the two Catholic churces on Woodstock Road sometimes attended by the Tolkiens?
The seasons fall like silver swords, the years rush ever onward; and soon I sail, to leave this world, these lands where I have wander'd. O Elbereth! O Queen who dwells beyond the Western Seas, spare me yet a little time 'ere white ships come for me!
Old 02-14-2005, 01:46 AM   #491
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

St Aloysius' would be one of them; I found that information in the "Oxford Life" chapter of Carpenter's biography. I'm not sure where to find the name of the second one, so since one is all you asked for, that's all you're getting!
Old 02-14-2005, 01:35 PM   #492
Scent of Simbelmynë

Your go, Esty.

St. Alyosius' was one of them.

The other was St. George's, which I found on an Oxford tourist-sites website. I'm not fortunate enough to own the biography, so I'm going from the letters and the web (which has proved reasonably accurate thusfar).
Old 02-16-2005, 02:18 AM   #493
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Whose baby received the name (among others) "Mister Tolkien"?
Old 03-01-2005, 01:54 AM   #494
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Anyone want to take a try at this question, or shall I ask a new one?
Old 03-01-2005, 07:11 AM   #495
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Drop us a hint, Esty; there's a good lass. (My best HI imitation to date. )
Old 03-01-2005, 07:19 AM   #496
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Be happy to - and a very nice imitation it is!

This person belongs to the earliest part (and place) of JRRT's life.
Old 03-01-2005, 09:27 AM   #497
Rimbaud
The Perilous Poet

Rimbaud has just left Hobbiton.
During the early South Africa years, Daddy Tolkien’s servant Isaak took JRRT to show to his village.

Arthur Tolkien forgave him for this and so Isaak named his first son "Isaak Mister Tolkien Victor" after him.

Unexpectedly

~R
Old 03-01-2005, 11:15 AM   #498
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Absolutely right, Rim, and nice to see you posting here again! Next one's yours...
Old 03-02-2005, 07:11 AM   #499
Rimbaud
The Perilous Poet

Ah, but at around the same time, what happened to three of the infant Tolkien's bibs?
Old 03-02-2005, 07:50 AM   #500
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Boots

Now this is really digging deep into family memories. A neighbour's pet monkeys chewed up three of baby Toller's "pinafores". Is this what you mean by "bib", Mr. Ribbet?
Old 03-02-2005, 08:20 AM   #501
Rimbaud
The Perilous Poet

Indeed it is, Ms Berry, and I wasn't aware that 'bib' did not translate overseas. You learn something every day.

The floor is yours, Ma'am.

Grandiosely

~R
Old 03-02-2005, 12:37 PM   #502
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Boots

You have done a public service, oh Perilous one. You have salvaged my view of Toller's infancy from a fate as bad as Ruskin's. Bib works here for infant neck apron, but around these parts, 'pinafore' is refers to the large aprons which young girls and teens wore over their dresses in earlier times. Oh these niceties of pond swimming.

But as to the floor: What did Tolkien do in hospital and on leave, after he survived the Battle of the Somme?
Old 03-02-2005, 03:33 PM   #503
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

He began writing the stories that later became the Silmarillion and the Book of Lost Tales.
Old 03-02-2005, 03:51 PM   #504
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Boots

Well, Mz. Ghosted Princess, if you can tell us which stories, you can have all the floor.
Old 03-03-2005, 02:55 AM   #505
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Oh, so you want fussy details, eh? Well, the first story was 'The Fall of Gondolin', written during convalescence in 1917; next one was 'The Children of Húrin' in the same year, followed by the story of Beren and Lúthien - enough?
Old 03-03-2005, 09:02 AM   #506
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Enough but not too much!

Tell on, with hope that we shall guess your riddle.
Old 03-09-2005, 01:55 PM   #507
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Sorry that I forgot to carry on here! Thanks, Bb, for the gentle reminder. Here's a new question: What was the name of JRRT's aunt with whom he corresponded?
Old 03-15-2005, 11:06 AM   #508
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Boots

Well, Esty, I cannot find any reference in the Letters to Aunt Grace Tolkien, but I believe that this younger sister of Tolkien's father told him stories about the family's past.
Old 03-15-2005, 01:04 PM   #509
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Sorry, it's not as easy as that, since her name is not 'Tolkien'. However, there are several letters written to her in the published collection. She read JRRT's works and he asked her opinion on them.
Old 04-15-2005, 07:27 PM   #510
elronds_daughter
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

elronds_daughter has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

I believe that would be his Aunt Jane. However, I am at a loss to remember her last name. She was a Suffield before she married.
Old 04-16-2005, 02:31 AM   #511
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Aunt Jane it was - well done, and welcome to this thread, elronds_daughter! Her married name was Neave, and she was interested in Tolkien's works, as he was interested in her opinion. He wrote Letters # 231, 234, 238, and 241 to her; several of those are wonderfully long, chatty letters, very enjoyable to read!

Carry on with a new question, please!
Old 04-26-2005, 05:43 PM   #512
elronds_daughter
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Pipe

Sorry it's been a while! I've been on vacation--no computer access, alas! Now, on to the question (it's an easy one):

Who wrote these words to Tolkien: "May you say the things I have tried to say long after I am not here to say them."

<disclaimer: If I got that quote wrong, forgive me. I've not got a book available to me at the moment.>
Old 04-26-2005, 07:15 PM   #513
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Boots

Perhaps easy, but a sombre one as well.

It was G.B Smith, one of Tolkien's school mates, a member of the T.C.B.S. who had read Tolkien's early poetry and shared the early ideas and excitement about writing. Smith wrote those words to Tolkien shortly before he was was himself killed in World War I when a shell burst behind him while walking down a village road.

Last edited by Bêthberry; 04-26-2005 at 07:21 PM.
Bêthberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 05:35 PM   #514
elronds_daughter
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Well done, Bb. As I said, 'twas easy. Carry on!
Old 05-11-2005, 12:36 PM   #515
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

*Esty pokes Miz Berry...
Old 05-12-2005, 08:05 AM   #516
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Boots A rose by any other name

I wonder if this will be acceptable as a biographical tidbit.

Tolkien was not entirely happy with the surname "Gamgee." What name would he have preferred to change Gamgee to, if Christopher had let him? (And, yes, that "let him" is a quote!)
Old 05-16-2005, 04:10 AM   #517
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Thanks to the excellent index in Letters, this was easy to find! (Happily for me, since I've not the time and energy for a lengthy search.) Here's the answer straight from Letter #72:
Quote:
I am not really satisfied with the surname Gamgee and shd. change it to Goodchild if I thought you would let me.
Now, we've seen that surname used on this site, haven't we? *Esty points in the direction of 'Cami'...
Old 05-16-2005, 05:20 AM   #518
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

1420! A mod by any other name

You're on the money, Estelyn!

And right also about our good Shire Mod, Cami Goodchild, aka Child of the 7th Age. When I saw that letter, I just had to use it to provide a small acknowledgement for her.
Old 05-20-2005, 03:51 AM   #519
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

To which type of building did Tolkien compare Beowulf, especially in the light of literary criticism's handling of the text?
Old 05-26-2005, 08:23 PM   #520
The Elf-warrior
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

The Elf-warrior is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via Skype™ to The Elf-warrior
A stone house?