Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Roleplaying > Elvenhome
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-20-2004, 07:16 PM   #281
Alatariel Telemnar
Shade of Carn Dûm

Alatariel Telemnar has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Alatariel Telemnar
Silmaril Announcing My Leave

I shall be away. I am going on a school trip to Washington D.C. The bus is leaving Sunday (tomorrow) morning and will get back Friday morning. Will try and find time to post then! and I shall come back bearing photos! hopefully...

'Poor ye. Ye're tied to someone who's been photographed trying to shave their hand... My condolences.'
Old 03-21-2004, 10:14 PM   #282
Imladris
Tears of the Phoenix

Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

I hope my post is okay...what happens next?

Cheers!
Istawen

Last edited by Imladris; 03-21-2004 at 10:38 PM.
Old 03-23-2004, 08:52 PM   #283
Meneltarmacil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: The bottom of the ocean, discussing philosophy with a giant squid
Meneltarmacil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Eye I'm not hurt!!!

I was just wondering, why do the other characters think I'm injured? I clearly stated that Thoronmir managed to get out from under his horse and back on his feet. I'll make that point clear in my next post.
Old 03-24-2004, 03:57 PM   #284
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Tolkien Could you please explain....

Eswen, what are your intensions with the prisoner? Do you intend to write that? Do you want me to? Somebody else? What do you want to happen?

Sorry Menel. I thought you had maybe broken a leg or something. Glad to see you back again.
Old 03-24-2004, 08:19 PM   #285
Esgallhugwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Esgallhugwen has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

Sorry, I could write up something i just didn't have any time this morning. I will though, unless you or anyone else wishes to contribute something that the prisoner might like to say to Eswen.
Old 03-25-2004, 10:01 PM   #286
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Eswen, go for it. I'll be interested to see what you come up with.

Menel, I like the plot development. Nice writing! Just one minor correction and it will fit the backstory we created in the first place: have the army come from the north.
Old 03-27-2004, 10:37 AM   #287
Meneltarmacil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eye

Post edited, new post made.

I don't remember seeing any indications in your posts of when the settlement was built, so I was somewhat surprised when Falco made the statement about the new wood. Is the age of the settlement really significant to the plot or something?

A large organized army from the north of Eriador...
Either Forodwaith, the hillmen of Arnor, or remnants of Angmar... I'd guess remnants of Angmar, but I've come up with another theory. Checking my Atlas of Middle Earth, I found that during the First Age, the ruins of Morgoth's citadel of Utumno lie almost in a direct line north-south with Lake Evendim. I know it's been a l-o-o-o-o-ng time, but is it possible???
Old 03-27-2004, 07:54 PM   #288
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Tolkien

Sorry to surprise you. I could have warned you. No, the age of the wood is not really signficant to the plot, but Falco's argumentativeness is. It was handy. Please don't interpret Falco's rough words as mine. It's all in the spirit of rpg fun. Conflict makes stories happen.

Just so you know how this whole thing with "from the north" worked out, your guesses are generally right on, except for the minor point of this having come from the north. You see, the Master, whose name shall not yet be revealed, took a very circuitous route to escape from the south and arrive in unprotected north lands. We're talking very far east, then north, then back west, passing the Iron Hills, the northern mountains, and so forth, arriving in the Hills of Evendim from the north. The Master doesn't have orcs, since they are currently at greatly reduced numbers and in hiding, but he does have men from wherever he could find the type who would serve him and do evil in his name. That does include men from Harad, as well as Easterlings, and bad types from the north, such as Boris from Bree. Hillmen from Arnor too.

Morgoth's citadel is an interesting notion, but who knows where it is? My guess is that it's much farther north than the northernmost hills of evendim.

Anyway, I hope that clarifies things.

By the way, don't expect your words to shut Falco up. There isn't any doing that unless you gag him.
Old 03-29-2004, 05:37 PM   #289
Alatariel Telemnar
Shade of Carn Dûm

Pipe Announcing My Return

I am back! indeed I am! I shall go read over what has happened while I'm gone, and hopefully, if I can scratch up something for ol' Finëwen to do and something worth posting about, I shall!

'Poor ye. Ye're tied to someone who's been photographed trying to shave their hand... My condolences.'
Old 03-30-2004, 02:55 PM   #290
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Tolkien Timeline issue

Pio has reminded me that we have gone far beyond our 16 week course of time for this rpg, and she would like to find out from us when we think this rpg will wrap up.

I have been very, very busy with other projects and have not given Evendim the focus that I could have, for which I'm sorry. It has also been difficult with Elora gone.

That said, I'd like to hear from the rest of you how you feel about where things seem to be. My most recent post is designed to get things moving toward the end, as you may have noticed. Do you think we can wrap this up in another 3 weeks? 4 weeks? 5? More? What do you think?
Old 03-30-2004, 03:04 PM   #291
Imladris
Tears of the Phoenix

Tolkien

Three weeks should be good, I'd say. Four at the most.

Cheers,
Imladris

Old 03-30-2004, 11:47 PM   #292
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Bringing This Forward:

Originally posted by Elora:

Here's the plot outline, which I thought might be helpful. This outline is a guide which we'll use to move our story along and keep on track.

1.) Meetings
  • Characters arrive at Prancing Pony and word of the search party to be formed reaches those at the inn courtesy of Falowik and the Master of Buckland's Second, Doderic Brandybuck.
  • A party is formed of the disparite races, and the beginnings of both friendship and conflict begin. Not everyone will get along amicably. Each joins the party for their own reasons. Meneltarmacil is chosen as leader, and in that some differences emerge.

2.) Journey into the Wilds
  • The party sets out, provisioned, to search the surrounding lands, heading west and north towards the Hills.
  • The party follows the Brandywine River, observing the ban on travel through the Shire, uncovering a disturbing lack of trail and signs. Doubt as to whether Falowik really saw what he did begins.
  • Whilst in the open land of the downs, the party undergoes it's first night attack. In the dark, chaos and confusion reign supreme. Doubt arises as to whether the source of aggression comes from within the group or from the mysterious men that were said by Falowik to have attacked Eodwine.
  • Falco suspects Falowik and his "cohorts" are responsible for the night attack but says nothing for the moment as he lacks proof. He resolves to watch even closer.

3.) Foul deeds will out
  • They reach Deadman's Dike and discover old signs of camp amid the ruins of Fornost. Disturbing evidence comes to light of those that made use of those ruins. (the remains of missing scouts, Rangers and messengers but not Eodwine)
  • The extent of danger is realised too late for the party to withdraw and summon more assistance. It is now ominously evident that they are dealing with something far more sinister than rougish bandits, although what precisely is still unknown to them all.

4.) Wandering the Ruins of Men
  • The party strikes west now, making for the Emyn Uial (Evendim Hills). They begin to discover the true extent of the menace in the north, but still do not know if Eodwine is alive or dead.
  • A schism splits the party. One group thinks it would be wiser to return to Bree now whilst they still can and muster a force. The other refuses to leave Eodwine out there, the memory of the discovery at Fornost too vivid in their minds. The party decides to push on.
  • The enemy has detected the party's presence at Fornost (Deadman's Dike) and now hunts them in a concerted, organised method.
  • Those who press on, push towards Annuminas and Lake Nenuial. There they find the central settlement camp of the mysterous villian. The Emyn Uial are infested with a warren of murderous fiends. It is worse than even their darkest fears. The group is beset and the schism worsens under the pressure.

5.) Valour in Desolate Places
  • A few believe that Eodwine must be located, somewhere in the ruins of Annuminas, despite the peril. They locate him with much difficulty, given the terrain and the danger, and unaware of whether he is dead or alive, resolve to bring him out and make a hard strike against the brigands and evil Men that are responsible for so much violence in the north.
  • They launch a raid, a small number against many, alone in the wilderness. Their aim is to retrieve Eodwine and incur lasting damage to the villians however they may. Not everyone in the group agrees, some have grave misgivings such that they ponder about turning back even then to seek more help. This goes far beyond the Master of Buckland's writ.
  • The raid very nearly ends disasterously. The party is split, some managing to escape and others forced to take temporary shelter in the Evendim Hills around Annuminas. The enemy hunts them with a vengeance. They flee back, through the hostile lands with either an alive and very injured Eodwine or his body, in a desperate flight, attempting to meet each other again. The only thing likely is that they will each meet their deaths.

6.) The Longest Road is that taken home
  • Not all may emerge, depending on skirmishes and encounters with an enemy now intent on not letting word of their presence and numbers reach the Thain.
  • Those that do survive flee to Bree in desperate flight. The Master of Buckland, aware of strife roused, is ready to receive their report.
  • Once in Bree, their part of the venture is over. Injured, weary and heart sore after so much evil, The Master of Buckland stands them down with thanks. With his allies, he can move against the threat within the Evendim Hills.

__________________________________________________ _______________

Where are you in the game at this point?

~*~ Pio
Old 03-31-2004, 08:08 PM   #293
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Pipe

We're moving from #4 to #5, and have deviated from the outline in three primary ways:

1. The enemy still doesn't know about us, we've been too thorough.

2. We have our own little army ready to use if we want them, though their health is in question.

3. Someone claims to have a secret, which needs to be discussed. I can make this individual a remorseful type who is quite willing to help, to move the plot toward it's soon to be finish.

I think we can have this wrapped up in 4 weeks, with a concerted effort from all involved, who are actually available.

LMP
Old 03-31-2004, 08:23 PM   #294
Imladris
Tears of the Phoenix

Tolkien

I have a question, LMP. From my understanding of your last post, some people will be staying behind in the base to help Uien. Is this correct? If so, will those people there also be attacked?

Thanks,
Imladris

Old 04-01-2004, 02:54 PM   #295
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Pipe

Good question, Imladris. Since the Master and his forces don't know "we" exist, the settlement is probably safe. That's the way it looks to me, anyhow. So whoever goes on the next phase of our expedition, will be the only ones in immediate danger - and those against whom they march may be in more danger, the way this group fights.

I hope that answers your question. If you have any more, please bring them up.
Old 04-03-2004, 02:43 PM   #296
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Sting

I hope I did Thoronmir justice, Menel. Let me know if I need to change anything.

This is what I'm thinking for the next step...

Nobody's going back to Bree just yet. Everybody except for a small picked group is staying at the settlement, either to guard it, or to get well.

Furman is taken to lead a picked group to go north, including Thoronmir, Falowik, Falco, Eswen, Lira, and Lumiel.

If your character is not on that short list, and you would like her or him to be, please let me know.

Is there anything you want to add to this that I haven't mentioned?

I'll do the next post in three days.
Old 04-04-2004, 11:19 AM   #297
Meneltarmacil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eye

Maybe add a few of the freed captives to the list of people who are going, at least Awyrgan and a few others that are in reasonably good health. The others can stay at the settlement under Uien's care.

I admit, littlemanpoet, you really have me stumped on who the Master is. My best guesses (Blue Wizards or the Mouth of Sauron) would appear to be wrong so far, but I don't see anybody else who possibly COULD be involved, unless it be Radagast the Brown in a very out-of-character moment. Or is this the little-known darker side of Tom Bombadil?
Old 04-04-2004, 12:15 PM   #298
Alatariel Telemnar
Shade of Carn Dûm

Silmaril

I would like to add Finëwen to that group, LMP, if you don't mind. Unless she has been given orders that I have not read yet or missed...

Old 04-04-2004, 02:04 PM   #299
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Tolkien discussing the next phase

Menel, Awyrgan is in, and how about two more Rangers if you like - with names?

Alatariel, Finëwen is in as well.

And it looks like Lira, Gorby, and Anson are all staying at the settlement for certain, considering the recent post.

Okay. In 2 days I'll get us going unless someone else wants to do the honors before then. I think all of our personnel decisions have been made. I tend to gloss over supplies, not being too knowledgeable in such areas. If someone wants to cover that, I'd be most grateful.
Old 04-04-2004, 04:41 PM   #300
Imladris
Tears of the Phoenix

Tolkien

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemanpoet
And it looks like Lira, Gorby, and Anson are all staying at the settlement for certain, considering the recent post.
No, Lira will go. She doesn't want to (who can blame her? She's in pain, she just discovered that at least one of her parents are dead, and her horse just died), but she'll go anyway out of duty. Gorby would have gone too, but I can't think of reasonable reason for him to go within his character. Ah well, what can I say.

Last edited by Imladris; 04-04-2004 at 07:10 PM.
Old 04-04-2004, 09:20 PM   #301
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Nurumaiel has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

Quote:
Gorby would have gone too, but I can't think of reasonable reason for him to go within his character.
Besides, of course, that Anson would throw aside all timidness if Gorby announced he was going to go and tie his friend to a tree until the group was a good distance away!

But I do have a question, littlemanpoet... Will those who stay behind at the settlement be doing anything special, or, to put it bluntly, will the story go on without them? I don't want to do an Anson post where it would be most inappropriate. Thanks in advance! I'm going to run off now and torture my brain trying to solve the mystery of 'the Master.'
Old 04-05-2004, 01:52 PM   #302
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Tolkien What the settlement stayer atters will do

Okay, Lira goes. No problem!

It still makes sense that Gorby and Anson stay at the settlement with Uien and the others.

As to what they do while they're there, I really don't see why you can't be as creative as you like outside the linear story line. You could have them do a Merry and Pippin discover-the-pipeweed (or whatever) type of scenario. You could have them get attacked. You could have them see something in the water, whether a swan that is a long lost descendant of Luvien Tinuviel's swans (did she have any? I don't know), or a wet balrog. Well, okay, I'm getting carrried away in those last couple. Keep it true to the fourth age, but heck, have fun with it.

I know! You could play a form of "20 questions" with the prisoners (former captors), trying to find out what and/or who the Master is and what he's up to, and I'll speak for them, and mayyyyyybe we'll find out early enough to have someone go galloping after the original party with "special intelligence". Or not. Just an idea. Do what you like, but feel free to post and have fun with it.
Old 04-06-2004, 01:17 PM   #303
Lumiel

Lumiel has just left Hobbiton.
GRRAAARRR!!! *shakes fist at life in general for keeping her away from beloved rpg*

So sorry folks...things were out of my hands and I was forced to be away without warning. Been caught up to things though.

As for Furman Hunter, Lumiel trusts him for a couple of reasons. 1) she's very naive and too trusting in general. 2) She does seem to get the feeling that he is being sincere about his abhorrence of what he did under the "Master". I hope nobody minds me having Lumiel guard him.
Old 04-06-2004, 07:45 PM   #304
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Tolkien next phase

That was a great post, Lumiel! You may of course be Fruman's captor. Make the most of it!

I just noticed how badly I messed up on travel time between Fornost and Lake Evendim. They are - ahem - about 100 miles apart from each other, yet we covered the distance in a matter of hours. *blushes* We - um - travel really fast, don't we? Well, let's just assume that we were actually on the road for two days instead of one night.

Anyway, we have about 120 miles to go, due north now, and on horse, staying out of the way of guard parties with Furman's help, we should manage this trip in 2 and one half game days. Say three days, just to be one the safe side.

Furman will tell the party what he knows, during which time the secret of the Master's identity will come out, as well as the plan for how to save Eodwine (and others possibly).

Here's our real time plan for it: I will post the "leave Lake Evendim post today", and will post the "arrive at the fortress" post precisely one week from today. Do whatever kinds of creative stuff within that framework you desire. Sound good?
Old 04-08-2004, 08:08 PM   #305
Meneltarmacil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eye

I will not be able to post at all until next Friday since I am taking a trip to Belize, just to let you know. I'm going to miss you all.

*continues to page through countless Tollkien books in a desperate attempt to find out who the Master is*
Old 04-12-2004, 01:08 PM   #306
Esgallhugwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

The Eye

I posted that a rain storm will be coming in soon. Hope thats ok, seeing as the weather has actually been relatively mild, during our journey. If their are any problems just let know.
Old 04-12-2004, 02:17 PM   #307
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Welcome weather

Nice touch, Eswen. It's about time we had some weather. I keep forgetting that kind of thing.....
Old 04-12-2004, 02:53 PM   #308
Lumiel

I'll be away

Sorry to say, but I won't be able to post for a few days, going to an open house at a college. Have fun while I'm gone! Though I won't be gone for too long.
Old 04-14-2004, 01:47 PM   #309
Esgallhugwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

The Eye The Big storm

no problem, I'm glad to have added a little touch for once, hopefully it will get real stormy out!
Old 04-15-2004, 12:30 PM   #310
Imladris
Tears of the Phoenix

Well, I thought it was awfully quiet from the hobbit end of things so I did a post for Gorby. Nuru, I left it hanging for you to fill in if you want to.

lmp! You've left me hanging! I don't know if I'm right or not! Aaargh! Of course, you had no choice to leave me hanging because Furman (?) doesn't know and if you posted it on the Discussion Thread, all elements of surprise would be gone...ah well.

Cheers!
Istawen
Old 04-15-2004, 09:22 PM   #311
Lumiel

more delays?

Sorry if I'm on and off with my posting for the next few days...There was an incident where I live. Two students died. Car accident. Driver lived. Speeding and seat belts....that's what killed them. To put it mildly, things are very eerie at my school and life is not fun right now. But I'll do my best to keep up with the game.

And please, pray for them.
Old 04-16-2004, 01:30 PM   #312
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Tolkien

Great posts, all! Lumiel, that character exploration was excellent! And Imladris, I can't wait to find out what's behind the trap door.

I need someone to raise objections or ask questions, or something like that, to Furman, regarding his plan with the ditch and pipe.
Old 04-16-2004, 09:31 PM   #313
Meneltarmacil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eye

Hello everyone, I'm back and WHAAAAAT?!?! The Master is a woman? And not just that, some weird twisted vampire lady I've never even heard of? THAT'S NOT FAIR!!!!!!

*sees several swords, knives, arrows, axes, and other pointy objects aiming in his general direction*

Ummmm, sorry I blew up.
Old 04-18-2004, 05:00 PM   #314
Esgallhugwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

The Eye

Hope my post is ok. I kinda took the liberty of butting in on Gorby and Anson with Kildirak, I hope that doesn't mess with anything, if it does just tell me and I'll fix it.
If theres any issue with the way I handled Furman I'll fix that too!

(I'm such a worry wort)
Old 04-18-2004, 06:21 PM   #315
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Tolkien Kildirak who?

No problem, Eswen. You had me going there for a minute. I thought you had Kildirak on the inside of the Master's fortress, and he suddenly saw the dung ditch he had been blinded to from the first time he'd been made a prisoner there. Well, it didn't turn out to be that way, which is good. Phew!

Your handling of Furman was fine. Quite admirable! I hadn't even considered where the guards would be, and I'm more than happy to let your ideas be. Thanks for posting!
Old 04-20-2004, 04:27 PM   #316
Imladris
Tears of the Phoenix

Tolkien

I hope my post was alright...though I had thought that Falco had gone first and then Thoronmir...I took some liberties describing where the tunnel led out...

I'm sorry it took me so long to post...
Old 04-20-2004, 06:33 PM   #317
Esgallhugwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

White Tree Feeling rather silly, but ready for battle

I must say Imladris, your quite discriptive. I absolutely love your writing!! Then again I love all of your guys writing. Thats very touching Lumiel, our characters have never really interacted, perhaps they will more now that its come close to the end of things.

I feel embarrased but did Thoronmir really have some underlying meaning, if so I'm assuming he implies the Dark Queen's resurgence when the time needs it (possibly to confront the Master, if we make it there alive) or is it something else I'm just not getting? Eswen's gonna kick some butt!
Old 04-20-2004, 08:45 PM   #318
Meneltarmacil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eye

Quote:
She nodded once. Falowik could not tell if she had understood any special meaning from Thoronmir's words. He could not imagine what the Ranger had been talking about. As they took their turns shinnying up the pipe, Falowik wondered what they would find.
I agree with Eswen. Exactly what did I mean?
Old 04-20-2004, 08:57 PM   #319
Imladris
Tears of the Phoenix

Tolkien

Many thanks, Eswen!

Cheers,
Imladris

Old 04-21-2004, 08:21 PM   #320
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Tolkien What Thoronmir meant without knowing it....

Hee hee! Sorry for the confusion. Menel, please tell me if I'm not using your character the way you want. Heaven forbid! Anyway, Thoronmir isn't exactly sure what he means either, but he does remember how Eswen did her Dark Queen thing before. Of course, he remembers Lumiel doing her dread madElfwoman thing, too, so if I was really consistent, I should have had him say something to her about that. So let's just say that Thoronmir had a moment's foreboding that this dark lord might turn out to be a tougher customer than any they've faced yet, and in ways that could prove beyond the ability of sword, dagger, arrow and whatnot to deal with.

I hope I've given enough description for anybody to feel like they can take the lead with this thing, especially because I'm going to a writers festival for three days, and may not get a chance to do anything.

So here's what's to be discovered by anyone - beyond which, do what you like. Eodwine is NOT going to be found among the other prisoners. I expect our group to take out the guards and free the prisoners without much difficulty, and with the knowledge (limited) that the prisoners are able to provide, to know exactly how many guards there are, and where, and what is to be expected regarding Eodwine.

Eodwine has been taken to the temple, which means he's in for it, this night. The Master is going to be leeching him and saving his blood. Please write as far as you like, getting to the temple, but don't enter it until I've set it up, if you don't mind. I have definite plans and ideas scurrying around in my brain on this, and I hope you will find it worth the wait. Heck, I'm excited. This is going to be - well - spine tinglingly awesome! (i hope) Anyway, have the party scour out the place or whatever you like. Just remember, it's pouring rain, and there's no sign of the storm letting up. Have fun!