User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-01-2002, 06:12 AM   #121
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Birdland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Birdie had spent a miserable night on the hard ground. As she sat up, aching in every joint, she debated whether she should stick with her traveling companions, (and well-armed traveling companions at that) or give in to the temptation of staying here in camp for another day, just so she could get a good night's sleep.

Her fellow campers were stirring around her, trying to start the cold fire again, packing up haversacks, stretching sore muscles and working out a night of kinks in their joints. The one who called himself Gandalf was standing towards the edge of the road, talking with the mysterious elf-girl.

Suddenly, she heard a perky voice beyond them, asking "Excuse me sir, might we pass?"

Birdie looked up with a start, then smiled. "Well as I live and breath...Holly Stoor!"

[ July 01, 2002: Message edited by: Birdland ]
Old 07-01-2002, 08:52 AM   #122
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

'Birdie?! Is that really you, you old skin-changer?', cried Holly in surprised delight. 'What in the world are you doing here?'

Periwinkle eyed the warhorse, taking his measure, so to speak, then ambled in his direction.
Old 07-01-2002, 10:59 AM   #123
Gandalf_theGrey
Visionary Spirit

Gandalf_theGrey has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Caradhras, * repeated Gandalf to Naaramare, in a tone making it plain that this was not what he'd been looking for, * Now if you'd mentioned anything in the vicinity of the Lonely Mountain, I would have guessed the dragon Smaug might be involved, depending on the timeline.

[ July 02, 2002: Message edited by: Gandalf_theGrey ]
Old 07-01-2002, 01:44 PM   #124
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Holly put her thumb and middle finger under her tongue and whistled the pony back. 'No need to wander off fully loaded.' she admonished him. 'Here, let me take the packs off.'

'You want to help with the other side, Bird?', said Holly deftly untying the knots holding the packs on her side.

Birdie approached the pony warily, and he looked in her direction with a certain mischievous glint in his eye. They had met before, as he recalled.
Old 07-01-2002, 10:47 PM   #125
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Boots

Bethberry woke with the scent of almost-dank, moist earth in her nose. As she moved, fronds of ferns sprinkled her with rainwater. They and the grasses had sheltered her somewhat from the rain so she was relatively dry. Her blanket would need an airing, though, before being packed away. She could feel the moisture rising into the air as the sun warmed the ground.

Getting up, she looked around at her companions and was surprised to see a new one, a young Hobbit with a pony, talking to the one who called herself Birdland, or Birdie for short. Olorin the oliphaunt was eyeing the wraith's horse curiously.

It was time for breakfast. Bethberry stretched and then threw some coffee beans into the kettle of boiling water on the fire, still steaming and hissing with rain water evaporating. They were lucky the fire had caught.

Then she went to hang her blanket on a tree branch and see who this new arrival was.
Old 07-02-2002, 01:44 AM   #126
The Fifth
Shade of Carn Dűm

The Fifth has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to The Fifth Send a message via AIM to The Fifth
Sting

The horse looks back at the oliphaunt, having seen another one at a faraway place with his master.
- Ringwraith #5,
Servant of the Eye
Old 07-02-2002, 02:21 AM   #127
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Periwinkle, relieved of his burdens, wandered toward the warsteed in search of equine company. He stopped about four or five feet from the great horse and chomped a few clumps of grass.Always best to see what sort of temper the great ones are in! thought the pony to himself.

Holly stacked her packs out of the way. She untied her carved cup from her backpack, and pulled out a small packet of sweetspice tea from a brass tin in the side pocket of the pack.

She had seen a kettle of water on the small fire near the center of the camp and thought she might ask for a cup of it to make her tea. It was boiling merrily, and though someone had put some coffee beans in it, they hadn't yet flavored the water. No one was near the kettle, so she helped herself, dipping her cup in carefully as not to burn her fingers.

A pinch of tea swirled in the cup, enticing her nose with its heady scent. She inhaled the delicious vapors and smiled contentedly, waiting for the liquid to cool enough for drinking.

'It's going to be a great day for walking, Bird! Don't you think?', asked Holly. 'Perhaps if you are going in my direction we can share the road for a while.'

[ July 02, 2002: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 07-02-2002, 07:53 AM   #128
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Sting

Birdie smiled, cheered to see a friendly face again. "Indeed, your presence would be welcome, if our other traveling companions would have someone as "normal" as a hobbit who roams the Western Lands instead of staying safe in her comfortable smial."

"Now this," Birdie gestured towards the woman hovering over the pan of coffee, "is Bethberry, the daughter of Tom Bombadil and Goldberry, and a herbalist and loremaster without peer." Goldberry greeted Holly with a smile, and a wink at the effusive Birdland.

"The others I hope will come forward and introduce themselves, and perhaps tell you their story, for I confess I barely know the facts myself."

"But I have saved the best for last, for the greybeard whom you so cheekily tapped on the shoulder and demanded passage from?" Here Birdie leaned forward, and whispered to Holly, "He claims to be Gandalf the Grey! I can hardly credit it, though he did seem to know how to handle a wraith that attacked us last night. If you want to travel along with us, you will have to plead your case with HIM."

Birdie leaned back, to see what effect her news had had on the halfling tinker. "Have you ever seen or heard of this wizard of legend? Do you think it is really Gandalf?"
Old 07-02-2002, 10:06 AM   #129
Gandalf_theGrey
Visionary Spirit

Sting

* The wizard turned gently from Naaramare, to address the newcome Hobbit with an introductory bow. *

I beg pardon for not answering you earlier, my dear Hobbit. Rather than a story to tell, I've a road to walk. Please allow me to introduce myself ... I am an old man who answers to many names. And if others wish to call me Gandalf, then who am I to stop them? [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Now then, you carry a goodly number of packs on your pony. What is your trade, have you wares to show?

* Gandalf grabbed a lit branch from the campfire, walked over to the wraith's tattered robes, and set them ablaze. He did the same with the war steed's gear and trappings, stoking the flames into a searing white heat strong enough to melt metal. Then he gestured to Naaramare, Birdie, the Hobbit, and others standing nearby with an expansive wave of his arm towards Bethberry and the morning brew. *

Coffee smells about done, thanks to the traditional fine Bombadil hospitality. Why don't we share a cup and conversation?

[ July 02, 2002: Message edited by: Gandalf_theGrey ]
Old 07-02-2002, 10:17 AM   #130
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

'Gandalf, you say?', queried Holly to Bird. 'I've heard of him, I think. My cousin from Buckland told me about someone named Gandalf. A kindly, older gentleman, famous for his skill with fires, smokes, and lights. Helped out in the Great War, I think she said.' She eyed the older man still engaged in conversation with the young woman. 'But a wizard? -- Well, I don't know about that!

The hobbit looked with interest toward the woman whom Bird had introduced as Bethberry. She had gotten the coffee brewed and was drinking a great cup of it with one hand, while trying to resuscitate what appeared to be the congealed remains of a former meal with the other hand.

Holly rustled through one of the packs taken off her pony and found her large skillet. Taking it, a small cask of salted butter, and a bulging burlap bag to where the woman sat stirring furiously to no effect, she greeted her.

'Well met, Bethberry!' she said smiling.'As I am enjoying some of your nice, hot water for my tea, will you allow me to help with making breakfast?' She looked into the mass in the pot, and sniffed it. 'Ah, badger stew isn't it?. Smells as if it were very tasty, in its day. Has some nice herbs in it, yes?'

Bird, who had ambled over to the fire with her, raised her eyebrows.

'Would you have a little flour or fine cornmeal, good mistress?' asked Holly, 'And perhaps I might borrow a few of your herbs for flavor, if you will. I think I can fry some of these up as an accompaniment to that admirable stew.'

She sat her skillet on a flat rock very near the cooking fire, and put three generous, hobbit sized thumb dollops of butter in it, While the butter, slowly melted, she pulled out four large bundles of moss from the burlap bag and set them near her.

'Gack! We're having fried moss for breakfast?!, exclaimed Bird, revising her estimate of the viability of the badger stew.

'No, silly,' said Holly, laughing, 'we're having these.' From the moss, she carefully unwrapped a large number of fresh, forest mushrooms.

[ July 02, 2002: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 07-02-2002, 10:27 AM   #131
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Holly stood up from her place near the fire and wiped her hands on her trouser legs.

'Well met, sir!' she said to Gandalf, and bowed back to him. 'Please don't think me rude if I don't answer your questions at present. Let's eat first, and enjoy a hot drink in the sun. Answers always are easier with a full stomach, don't you think?'

She busied herself dredging the now cleaned mushrooms in the flour and herbs that Bethberry had produced, and popped them into the frying pan.

'After breakfast, or second breakfast for me, we can sit and enjoy a pipe together and I'll tell you where I'm bound. I have some Longbottom leaf to share, if that might serve your fancy. Mr. Gandalf.'
Old 07-02-2002, 10:56 AM   #132
The Fifth
Shade of Carn Dűm

Sting

The war steed peered at the pony known as Periwinkle, and neighed. He turned his head a moment to look at the burning robes and armor, then back to the pony happily grazing on the grass.
- Ringwraith #5,
Servant of the Eye
Old 07-02-2002, 10:59 AM   #133
Naaramare
Wight

Naaramare has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Naaramare
Sting

Naaramare stared at the small figure who'd joined them, half-listening to talk of mushrooms, second breakfasts and pipeweed. She'd heard of halflings vaguely, but she'd never seen one (that she remembered . . .though for all she knew she'd been associating with them for millenia before she lost her memory . . . )

Obeying Mithrandir's gesture, she moved to the fire and got a cup of the hot, bitter beverege. "Do you know this person?" she asked of Bethberry, trying to suppress all the questions that were bubbling up beneath the surface.

It's as if I've said so be it, no one can give me my old life back, but I can learn everything about this new one now . . .

si man i yulma nin equantuva? [my blog]
Old 07-02-2002, 09:07 PM   #134
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Boots

Do I know this halfling? I think not, to my loss. From the looks of things, she is most accomplished at the culinary arts of the road. Unusual I would say, for most halflings I know delight in all manner of gadgets and pans and pots and kitchen paraphernalia.

Bethberry rises and bows admiringly at Holly.

We are fortunate you came along just as you did. Your mushroom savouries could not be more welcome to those who have passed a rainy night and fearful encounter. You run the risk of being pressed into the group by the vote of our stomachs.

Bethberry resumes her seat beside Naaramare.
Do you remember skills and talents, languages, or do things come to you unbidden that you suddenly recognize?
Old 07-02-2002, 10:41 PM   #135
Naaramare
Wight

Tolkien

"My languages I kept, I think," Naaramare replied, sipping at her coffee. "At least, I do not recall relearning them, and I can speak several. Otherwise . . . " She shrugged. "Most often, it is a feeling that I used to know something I've now forgot, such as taming horses or," she grimaced, "swordwork. Occasionally, I will suddenly remember a skill--but not how I learned it or anything about when or how it was given to me."

She laughed bitterly. "All in all, I think I would prefer starting entirely again; the fragments are maddening."

Old 07-03-2002, 12:32 AM   #136
Orofacion of the Vanyar
Wight

Orofacion of the Vanyar has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Orofacion of the Vanyar
Sting

As the company settled down with their new visitor, there came the sound of hooves on the road off beside them. As the sound grew louder, there appeared over the bend a large gray horse, and a tall figure clad in blue and gray as well. The horse was at a slight gallop, the rider taking his time, but still quickly making his way down the road. His long brown hair, wet with the morning rain, was flapping slightly in the breeze, his cloak was pulled back behind him, giving plenty or room for his arms to move around.

The rider slowed his pace as he approached the clearing where the companions were eating and talking amongst theirselves. As he got closer, the talking stopped, as everyone waited to see who was passing by. It was an elf, a soldier of some kind. "Whoa Getathane," he said. The rider stopped beside the clearing and casually looked over at the clearing to satisfy his curiosity. Then, he dismounted.

"Ai, Mithrandir! Mushrooms and coffee eh? Your tastes have not changed," Arcon said as he walked up the low bank to where the group was sitting. "Bethberry?! It is good to see you again fair daughter of Iarwain Ben-adar? It has been a long time since I've seen you both. What are you doing in these parts of Eriador?" asked the Elda.
Old 07-03-2002, 02:04 AM   #137
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Periwinkle nickered softly at the black war steed, as if to draw his attention to the elven steed. Getathane he heard him called. This just might be an interesting trip he thought to himselfa wraith steed, an elven steed, and an oliphaunt! He wandered over to take a look at the oliphaunt and see what might be had in that area for breakfast.
The hobbit filled a plate with mushrooms and grabbed her cup of sweetpice tea.Retiring to a tussock of grass on a little rise a short distance from the fire, she ate silently, her eyes watching the group and their interactions.

Being done a short time thereafter, she laid aside her plate and cup and wiped her fingers on the grass. From within her vest, she drew out her small sketchpad and took the charcoal stick from behind her ear. Her hand flew over the paper, bringing to life the figures before her.

Though her eyes and hand were intent upon the drawing, her ears were trained on the new arrival, Arcon, and his question to Gandalf and Bethberry.

[ July 03, 2002: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 07-03-2002, 06:11 AM   #138
Gandalf_theGrey
Visionary Spirit

Sting

* Gandalf had of course nodded agreement to the Hobbit's offer of Longbottom Leaf and conversation after the meal of juicy golden-brown herbed mushrooms and strong hearty coffee. He then allowed her what privacy she needed to eat, think, and doodle with the decisive-sounding strokes of satisfying artistic creation that brushing charcoal over parchment produces. The morning offered time enough to exchange insight on how trade was faring between the Shire and the lands of the Big People, wolf sightings, missing wagons, and any other unusual occurrences along the main roads. *

* Meanwhile, an old friend approached on horseback and dismounted. *

Well met, Arcon, join us around the fire! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] To answer your question, just going about my normal business, only I seem to have picked up quite a bit of company. Turned out to have been a good thing. For while there've been reports of an increase in unsavory characters along this road, the appearance of a wraith last night was an unexpected danger despite our nearness to the Barrows. It took our combined efforts to finally defeat the foul creature. Bethberry, Meneli, and Elenna in particular rose to the occasion in warrior form, with Naaramare in the role of healer providing much needed support to Bethberry and Birdie generously volunteering to help out with anything that might arise in the aftermath.

The immediate road takes us to Tharbad by way of Sarn Ford. From Tharbad, I continue on ... well, that's getting too far ahead. * Gandalf looked at the war horse from Mordor, wondering if the beast would even be allowed passage through all the territory that the wizard might cover. * Easier to say, we share the road for as long as we're meant to.

[ July 03, 2002: Message edited by: Gandalf_theGrey ]
Old 07-03-2002, 06:39 AM   #139
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Boots

Arcon! As I live and breathe! exclaimed Bethberry, jumping up and running to greet the familiar companion. She takes his hand in hers and shakes it in a merry greeting. (OOC: nothing else! *grins*)

You are far from Mithlond. Cirdan must cast his nets far afield in these times. Come, there is coffee yet left for you and I'm sure you can prevail upon Gandalf for some leaf, should you wish, or this very helpful halfling, Holly, although for the time being she seems quite involved with her muse.

[ July 04, 2002: Message edited by: Bethberry ]
Old 07-03-2002, 08:43 AM   #140
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Sting

(0.C.C. - Birdie curtseys to Gandalf. Very kind of you not to mention to Arcon the fact that Birdie was trying her best to run away from you "crazy folk"! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] )

Birdie finished her breakfast of mushrooms and coffee, washed up her plate and cup and stowed them in her pack.

Knowing better than to disturb Holly while she was sketching (one didn't even ask to see the results, she would show - or not - as the mood took her), Birdie wandered over to Periwinkle, cutting off a teasel head as she walked, and set about currying the good pony.

"Well, Peri, old friend. And how has life on the road been treating you? Nothing like a life of travel to keep a pony fit, I see."

She gestured with her make-shift curry comb to the tall newcomer speaking with Gandalf. "Now there's a fit visitor for the likes of wizards. What did he say his name was, Peri? - 'Acorn', was it?" Birdie chuckled at her own joke, and continued to brush the contented pony. "Well, it's not for the likes of us to say "come" or "go" to an Elf-Lord. Just hope him and his great elf-steed don't splash us walkers with muck as they pass."

Birdie hummed an old tune under her breath as she worked, remembering a time when young girls would sigh and dream at the sight of the fair Elf Folk:

"An outlandish knight came from the Westlands;
And he came wooing to me;
He said he would take me to foreign lands
And he would marry me."

"Go fetch me some of your father's gold,
And some of your mother's fee,
And two of the best nags from out of the stable,
Where there stand thirty and three."

"She mounted upon her milkwhite steed,
And he on his dapple grey;
They rode till they came unto the seaside,
Three hours before it was day."
Old 07-03-2002, 09:32 AM   #141
Naaramare
Wight

Tolkien

Naaramare smiled at the newcomer, watching Bethberry's greeting. For a brief moment, a dual hope/fear entered her heart--the same one that always did when she encountered one of her own race--that they would recognize her and expect her to do the same.

On the one hand--she would not be able to recognize them, and the awkwardness to follow . . .was not something she looked forward to.

On the other . . .if they recognized her, they would be able to fill in some of the gaps, at least; even if she wouldn't remember, she would know.

But that was ridiculous and she pushed such ideas away, blushing when Mithrandir introduced her with far more credit than she deserved.

"Greetings, Arcon," she said.

Old 07-03-2002, 10:43 AM   #142
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Holly finished her rough sketch and replaced the drawing pad within her vest. She would work on the finer detail later. Picking up her cup and plate, she sluiced them off with a little water, wiping them down with a tuft of grass.

Bird was grooming Peri, and she ambled toward them. The strokes of the currying matched the rhythm of the song sung by Bird.

'That is a rather gruesome song for such a bright and promising morning!' she said to the singer.

Peri nickered, as if in agreement. Holly sang the next verse back to Bird, over the pony's back.

Light off, light on, thy milkwhite steed;
Deliver it up unto me;
For six pretty maidens I have drown'd here,
And thou the seventh shall be.
Old 07-03-2002, 11:00 AM   #143
Orofacion of the Vanyar
Wight

Sting

"Quite a bit of company indeed Mithrandir," Arcon replied eyeing the baby oliphant. "But I would expect none the less. A Wraith you say? I came across a creature some time ago, while I was passing this way heading south. I was with a few of my men, escourting some Gondorins back home, so of course it fled before we could get a good look at it. But it's good to hear you have some capable hands with you," Arcon said glancing at Menelduliniel, Elenna, and then Naaramare.

"So you are heading to Tharbad are you? I myself have some business there with the Rangers. I hear some odd things have happened around these parts, and my curiosity is indeed peaked. But the reasons of my travels are a matter of confidence."

As Bethberry came running up, a warm smile came to his face. "It is always good to see you Bethberry, I've missed your fine campfire cooking," Arcon said with a laugh. "Yes a bit far from Mithlond, but Cirdan's errands spread wide across Eriador, and sometimes further south and east. If he had known that you were in the area, I'm sure he'd offer a visit of you all."

Arcon walked over to the fire where everyone was gathered and greeted them accordingly. "I believe I will pass on the coffee Bethberry, not quite my taste, but the leaf I will gladly accept," he said removing a water skin and caked pipe from his belt pack.

Turning to respond to a greeting, Arcon smiled, "Suilad, Naaramare. An interesting name. Are you from royal lineage?"

(OOC: Naaramare, see the discussion.)

[ July 24, 2002: Message edited by: Orofacion of the Vanyar ]
Old 07-03-2002, 01:32 PM   #144
Naaramare
Wight

Tolkien

The question caught Naaramare by surprise, so much so that her jaw dropped a little. She immediately closed her mouth, her teeth clicking together a little as she did so.

"Well," she said after a moment, still blinking in startlement, "if I am, I don't remember!" Her laugh was the slightest bit brittle.

Old 07-03-2002, 02:52 PM   #145
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

VanimaEdhel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to VanimaEdhel Send a message via MSN to VanimaEdhel
Silmaril

OOC: ACK! Almost forgot that Estelarion was on this with me too!

In the morning, Menelduliniel and Estelarion rolled up their bedrolls and listened to the other's conversation.

"So: what are you hoping to achieve through this quest?" Estelarion asked, looking at Menelduliniel.

"I do not know, actually," Menelduliniel said, laughing, "And you? Why did you come along?"

"For a bit of adventure, of course!" Estelarion said, his eyes glittering with mirth.

"And what would you know of adventure?" Menelduliniel teased.

"You would be surprised," Estelarion said, laughing. He reached over and playfully pushed her, she pushed him back, and he, already having mounted, urged his horse, Linaroch to a gallop and galloped through the woods. Menelduliniel, on Salkadome, followed close behind. She caught up and they raced through the woods, ahead of the others, laughing...
Old 07-03-2002, 05:17 PM   #146
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Sting

Birdie laughed out loud. "Ah, so you know that old lay, do you Holly?" she said. "A cautionary tale from mothers, perhaps, on the dangers of running off with handsome strangers, especially if they are not of your kind."

"A lesson you could have heeded yourself, on more than one occasion", said Holly drily.

"True enough," said Birdie matter-of-factly. She finished brushing Periwinkle and gave her a pat on the neck. "Now if I remember rightly, the hero of that tale in the end was the King's parrot, was it not?" Birdie gave a wink and a smile, "I always suspected that parrot might have been a skin-changer."
Old 07-04-2002, 10:07 AM   #147
Gandalf_theGrey
Visionary Spirit

Sting

* After breakfast, the group packed up their bundles and stowed their belongings to take to the road, except for Elenna and Olorin the oliphaunt. The Elven maid remained fast asleep, while her oliphaunt stood guard, tail waving like a banner, refusing to budge. It was decided that the two would be welcome to catch up with the group later, if they still wished to come along. *

* Turning to the black horse from Mordor, Gandalf once again addressed it: * Come with us, or go where you will, as you are free now. * Gandalf beckoned with outstretched arm to the animal that it was welcome to come alongside and walk with the group. *

I always enjoy songs like the one you were singing, Birdie and Holly. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] Please allow me to share one of my own devising. * Gandalf cleared his throat and sang as the group got underway on horseback or on foot to Tharbad. *

Rangers on their forest trail
Among strangers take their ale
Returning duty’s call with smiles
Protecting realms that stretch for miles
The less you have the more you see
The worth in breathing sunshine free
In the warmth of friends and kin
Home is better than an Inn.

Unremarked by folk unknown
With eyes as sharp as eagle’s own
Keeping teeth of wolves away
Where peaceful crops are grown by day
And kettles steam with stew at night
Round windows frame the firelit sight
Of the warmth of friends and kin

Passing to the Age’s end
Soon the road will show a bend
Hope remains as shadows fall
In worthy folk, both big and small
Together against Enemy’s power
Heroic deeds will light the hour
For the warmth of friends and kin

... Does anyone else have a song or poem to share, to lighten our road? Arcon, Bethberry, Naaramare?

(OOC: Visiting relatives today and tomorrow, I do not expect to have any access to a computer until Friday night. But I shall return! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img])

[ July 04, 2002: Message edited by: Gandalf_theGrey ]
Old 07-04-2002, 04:14 PM   #148
The Fifth
Shade of Carn Dűm

Sting

Whinnying, the horse looked around. After standing there a moment while the others prepared, he decided to come along. Seemingly against his personality, he trotted over and brushed up against Gandalf.
- Ringwraith #5,
Servant of the Eye
Old 07-04-2002, 04:24 PM   #149
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

'It seems you have a new travelling companion, Gandalf.', said Holly, seeing the horse make an accepting movement toward the wizard.

'Would you like to see if he might like one of these?', she continued, pulling a small, crisp apple from her pack. 'And here's one for you, if you like.'

Periwinkle nudged her in the back at the sight of his favorite treat.

'Yes, Peri!,' she laughed. 'Here's one for you, too!'
Old 07-04-2002, 04:44 PM   #150
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

VanimaEdhel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to VanimaEdhel Send a message via MSN to VanimaEdhel
Silmaril

Menelduliniel and Estelarion continued to gallop until they heard Gandalf's request for music. They stopped, looked at each other, grinned impishly, and galloped back to the group.

"We may be of some assistance, Mithrandir," Estelarion said.

Estelarion took out a silver flute and Menelduliniel cleared her voice. Estelarion started with an introduction, then Menelduliniel, figuring out which song it was, came in with the sorrowful melody:

Ta' yestant yassen rina
Ta' yestant yassen coiasira
Ta' yestant yassen namaarie
Ta' yestant yassen mori tuliel

Amin n'eleaint
Amin n'sintaint
Amin n'tyavaint
Lle n'tulis

Ar' amin sal' feithon
Ar' amin sal' kaimelon
Ar' amin sal' estelon
Lle entulathos i amin

Amin sinton lle entulathos i amin

Translation:
It began with memory
It began with time
It began with farewell
It began with darkness coming

I saw not
I knew not
I felt not
You came not

And I still wait
And I still dream
And I still hope
You will return to me

I know you will return to me

Menelduliniel finished the song and Estelarion stopped playing. They both looked to the others to see how they liked the mournful song.
Old 07-04-2002, 05:13 PM   #151
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Sting

Birdie jumped to the side of the trail as the two excitable elflings came galumphing back to the party. "Watch where you put those clumsy beasts!" Birdie hollered, but the two giggling Fair Folk paid no attention.

Birdie wiped the muck off her cloak, doing it little good. But she listened along with the others as they offered their lay. Elves were singing, and one had no other choice but to listen.

After the song was through, Bird nudge Holly and said under her breath, "Yon elf maid with the addled brain could have WRITTEN that song, I think."
Old 07-04-2002, 07:52 PM   #152
Naaramare
Wight

Tolkien

The song was almost like a blow, painfully remeniscent of her own situation. Naaramare forced a smile, however; the skill had, at least, been breathtaking.

"Lovely," she said, blinking against tears.

Old 07-04-2002, 09:49 PM   #153
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Boots

Perhaps, Naaramare, said Bethberry, while shaking the mud which had gone flying from the horses' hooves off her cloak, too, if you recall Gandalf's words about 'making the best of the time available to you' you would think less of the elvish song of longing. Think instead about the Rangers' duties in Gandalf's poem. It seems to me there is more hope, more positive spirit there.

"The less you have, the more you see."

Why walk into the new day backwards? Especially since you can no longer see backwards, so to speak.

Naaramare looked askance at Bethberry and was ready to take offense but then saw the kindly grin taking shape around the corners of Bethberry's mouth.

[ July 04, 2002: Message edited by: Bethberry ]
Old 07-04-2002, 10:09 PM   #154
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

The elves had passed by; their music long gone on the breezes.

Holly turned to her walking companion and asked if she knew 'The Three Ravens'.

'Start it out', said Bird, 'and I'll try to sing along.

The hobbit sang in a low and pleasant voice as she walked along, her feet keeping time on the road:

There were three ra'ens sat on a tree,
Down a down, hey down, hey down,
They were as black as black might be,
With a down.
The one of them said to his mate,
Where shall we our breakfast take?
With a down, derry, derry, derry down, down

[ July 05, 2002: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 07-05-2002, 01:10 AM   #155
Orofacion of the Vanyar
Wight

Sting

"Wise words indeed Bethberry," Arcon said. "You should not worry so much about that which you cannot change. If you do still have any memories, you should not force them, nor lust for them, it will only cause sorrow either way. If you were meant to remember then you would have by now, be patient." Arcon smiled at Naraamare to show his concern for her problem.

As they made their way down the road, shafts of light came pouring down between the clouds. Soon, the sun was full and warm in the sky. This seemed to lift spirits a bit more, so much so, Arcon resolved to share a song.

"Though I am not a musician of any standard, Haidan indeed recieved that gift. When we were young, he taught me a song that our mother had written. It tells of Aman, the land of our parents birth. I fear I may not do the song justice, but I shall try."

Arcon began to sing softly as he rode on.

Calen i parth er-haeron falas
Tond i galadh ned Valinor
Moe hwest drom ennas anann
A fael a lim i celon laer

Lhun i gaear ned Alqualonde
I gwaloth sila lim ind i aur methed
Faen elenath ned Varda loda-taur or
Ai! fael Aman ned edhellen meleth

"That is all I know," Arcon said regretfully.

--------- Translation of song------------

Green the fields on hither shores
Tall the trees of Valinor
Soft breeze blows there ever-long
And fair and clear the river song

Blue the waves of Alqualonde
The flowers shine on though the day end
White stars of Varda floar high above
Ah! Fair Aman of elven love

[ July 05, 2002: Message edited by: Orofacion of the Vanyar ]
Old 07-05-2002, 02:08 AM   #156
Naaramare
Wight

Tolkien

I seem to be getting a lot of advice lately, Naaramare thought ruefully, smiling to herself. And irritatingly enough, all of it good.

She listened to Arcon's song and again her breath caught, though for a different reason now than before. "Alqualonde . . ." she murmured when he had finished, tasting the word. "Where is that?"

Old 07-05-2002, 04:31 AM   #157
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Sting

"It seems I'm not the only one to choose gruesome songs for the trail," said Birdie to Holly, and she continued with another verse:

Down in yonder green field,
Down, a down, hey down, hey down,
There lies a knight slain 'neath his shield,
With a down.
His hounds they lie down at his feet,
So well they do their master keep,

"And speaking of ravens; we seem to have three of our own following us. Perhaps they are looking for breakfast, too?"

Birdie gestured upward with her head. There, in the trees, were three crebain. They flitted from branch to branch, following the progress of the travelers, and they made no sound.
Old 07-05-2002, 11:40 AM   #158
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Boots

You're quite right, Birdie. Not even a crec-crec out of them. If they stay with us for much longer, perhaps I can whistle for Wyrd to give them something to caw about.

Bethberry herself was quite content to become a listener to the entertaining songs everyone was singing and to keep watch. Had it not been for the silent ravens watching them, it would have been an ideal day simply to enjoy the fine weather. Truth be told, it was a bit of a relief not to have to switch her bag of herbs around constantly to keep it away from the young oliphaunt. Now, she was able to keep a more watchful eye.

The breeze seemed to become stronger, cooler. The ravens were casting long shadows.

[ July 05, 2002: Message edited by: Bethberry ]
Old 07-05-2002, 12:48 PM   #159
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

The day turned a little chilly it seemed as Holly noted the ravens following them. She loosened the knife from her belt and rested her hand lightly on its hilt as she sang the next verse.

His hawks they fly so eagerly,
No other fowl dare come him night,
With a down.
Down there comes a fallow doe
As great with young as might she go

[ July 07, 2002: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 07-05-2002, 01:48 PM   #160
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Sting

Birdie sang the next verse loudly, mostly from nerves:

She lifted up his bloody head,
And kissed his wounds that were so red,
With a down.
Aru send every gentleman,
Such hawks, such hounds, and...

The words faded and quit. The Crebain looked down on them with unfriendly eyes.

Birdie's shoulder blades twitched. "Not yet," she thought. "Not yet."

[ July 05, 2002: Message edited by: Birdland ]