The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-21-2007, 01:13 PM   #41
Farael
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: In hospitals, call rooms and (rarely) my apartment.
Farael has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by alatar View Post
Reread them next week after they've spent some time at the gymnasium.
I'm sorry, I know I should add SOMETHING to the conversation, but this is just... ARGH!! Alatar, I don't know what's worse, your joke or the fact that I laughed about it
Old 12-26-2007, 09:27 AM   #42
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by alatar View Post
Then what are the anti-Dwarves, or did Tolkien (via Melkor etc?) not create them?
I've given this some thought and I've given up the idea of the Easterlings being Anti-Dwarf's, if anything they're Anti-Gondorian.

I'm still not going for that Anti- Dwarf is the Anti- Dwarf, because, like I said before, you can use that kind of logic with any scenerio. Probably Goblins with be the next likely source for me.
Old 12-26-2007, 08:40 PM   #43
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groin Redbeard View Post
I'm still not going for that Anti- Dwarf is the Anti- Dwarf, because, like I said before, you can use that kind of logic with any scenerio. Probably Goblins with be the next likely source for me.
The more I've thought while reading the Sil, the more I've decided that Tolkien was never explicit with what he had Melkor do with the dwarves. Guessing then we can conclude that he mixed them in with his orc race, or used them to make a specific subspecies of orc/goblin, as seen in the Hobbit.
Old 12-27-2007, 01:21 AM   #44
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via AIM to Gwathagor Send a message via MSN to Gwathagor Send a message via Skype™ to Gwathagor
I'm coming into this rather late, and I don't really have anything to contribute, but I would like to say that I do like the idea of dwarves being their own worst enemies. It makes a great deal of sense, on many levels.
Old 12-29-2007, 05:08 PM   #45
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwathagor View Post
I'm coming into this rather late, and I don't really have anything to contribute, but I would like to say that I do like the idea of dwarves being their own worst enemies. It makes a great deal of sense, on many levels.
Please explain, because for some reason I don't see the sense in it.
Old 12-29-2007, 09:04 PM   #46
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via AIM to Gwathagor Send a message via MSN to Gwathagor Send a message via Skype™ to Gwathagor
As a race, the Dwarves are the odd man out, since they were not in Illuvatar's originally expressed plan for the world. As the "Other" race, they are rather separate from the original Children of Illuvatar; the system of parallels that can be applied to Elves and Men doesn't fit the Dwarves because they stand apart from the other races in terms of their origin.
Old 12-30-2007, 12:25 AM   #47
zxcvbn
Wight

zxcvbn has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
I get the feeling that you just have trouble accepting that the noble, tough race of Dwarves could turn to evil. No, you can't use that logic with any scenerio. There are no good counterpart to the Orcs(anti-Orcs) and there is no evil counterpart to the Elves(very very few Elves ever served the enemy). And there are no 'anti-Hobbits' either(very few bad Hobbits). The only places you can use this logic are for Men and Dwarves, because in both cases the Enemy managed to corrupt a good many of them(Haradrim, Easterlings and Dwarves of Eastern Houses).
zxcvbn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 07:41 PM   #48
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Originally Posted by zxcvbn View Post
I get the feeling that you just have trouble accepting that the noble, tough race of Dwarves could turn to evil. No, you can't use that logic with any scenerio. There are no good counterpart to the Orcs(anti-Orcs) and there is no evil counterpart to the Elves(very very few Elves ever served the enemy). And there are no 'anti-Hobbits' either(very few bad Hobbits). The only places you can use this logic are for Men and Dwarves, because in both cases the Enemy managed to corrupt a good many of them(Haradrim, Easterlings and Dwarves of Eastern Houses).
Maybe I am a little ignorant of the truth, but I don't think of number of "Anti-Dwarves" is any larger than the number of elves that are evil.
Old 12-30-2007, 10:45 PM   #49
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

I'm not sure that the concept of "anti-dwarf" necessarily entails dwarves fighting for Sauron or Morgoth. An anti-dwarf, in the way we have used the term here, I think more concerns the dwarvish tendency to be self-serving and greedy that dominates the wicked dwarves, and is the weakness of good ones. Dwarves are not necessarily worse than any other race as a whole; but if one was going to identify the worst enemy of a good dwarf, it would be a bad dwarf, whereas the worst enemy of an elf is an orc.
Old 12-31-2007, 04:42 PM   #50
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
I'm not sure that the concept of "anti-dwarf" necessarily entails dwarves fighting for Sauron or Morgoth. An anti-dwarf, in the way we have used the term here, I think more concerns the dwarvish tendency to be self-serving and greedy that dominates the wicked dwarves, and is the weakness of good ones. Dwarves are not necessarily worse than any other race as a whole; but if one was going to identify the worst enemy of a good dwarf, it would be a bad dwarf, whereas the worst enemy of an elf is an orc.
Ok, I think I can settle for that answer. Thanks Gwathagor!
Old 12-31-2007, 05:39 PM   #51
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

TheGreatElvenWarrior has been trapped in the Barrow!
Yes, Dwarves are strange folk indeed! What will we ever do with them?
Old 12-31-2007, 06:08 PM   #52
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Quote:
Ok, I think I can settle for that answer. Thanks Gwathagor!
But of course!
Old 12-31-2007, 07:51 PM   #53
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatElvenWarrior View Post
Yes, Dwarves are strange folk indeed! What will we ever do with them?
Strange! They are hardy and quiet, not strange. We love them.
Old 12-31-2007, 08:04 PM   #54
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

Quote:
Strange! They are hardy and quiet, not strange. We love them.
Yes, strange, weird, crazy..... But so am I, and people love me! I like dwarves too. Don't mess with the dwarves or me for that matter!
Old 12-31-2007, 09:19 PM   #55
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatElvenWarrior View Post
Yes, strange, weird, crazy..... But so am I, and people love me! I like dwarves too. Don't mess with the dwarves or me for that matter!
Well said, I'll stop mess'n with you now.
Old 12-31-2007, 11:27 PM   #56
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

Quote:
Well said, I'll stop mess'n with you now.
Good. You might have got it good!(but you know that I would never do that to you!)
Old 01-01-2008, 05:00 AM   #57
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Ahem! Chat skwerlz are drawing nigh here - expect some posts to disappear into the Void soon.

A moderator-recommended New Year's resolution: no public chatting!
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 01:04 PM   #58
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Dwarves are not necessarily worse than any other race as a whole; but if one was going to identify the worst enemy of a good dwarf, it would be a bad dwarf, whereas the worst enemy of an elf is an orc.
Not so much 'worst enemy,' as for dwarves it may be dragons (for elves it may be balrogs, as stated by - I think - Legolas in FotR), but what would have Melkor raised up as a 'counter?'