The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-13-2011, 07:06 PM   #1
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
The One Object To Rule Them All!

If you could (somehow) take one object/accessory/thing (or a copy of such) from Tolkien's legendarium, what would it be? A Silmaril? Barahir's Ring? Belthronding? A sword? A letter? Or simply a mug of Hobbit ale?

I would take a cloak from Lorien (assuming that it has a brooch. But I'd choose it even if it doesn't). Beautiful, useful, could be heirloom-ish (especially if it has the brooch!)...

What about you?
Old 03-13-2011, 07:18 PM   #2
Alfirin
Shade of Carn Dűm

Alfirin has been trapped in the Barrow!
many possiblities

1. Thurwingithel's shaping cloak (assuming the magic would still work here)
2. A Feanorian lamp gem (would be great when the power went out)
3. a Yavannamire fruit from Nisimaldar (or Valinor) esepeically if they come true to seed. Actually any of the Nisimaldarian trees would be nice, but as that is the only one that is stated to have edible fruit as well as smelling nice it has an edge up. A fruit from the White tree of Gondor would be great too, but as some people say that that is just a cherry tree, I'm not sure if, shorn of the chachet it would be all that different from a cherry from our modern world.

Actually that brings up an interesting question, do the people of gondor actually eat cherries of the white tree (assuming it fruits regularly)? or is it considered too sacred.
Alfirin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 10:19 PM   #3
Cirdan
Animated Skeleton

Cirdan has just left Hobbiton.
As much as I'd like a Silmaril, they just attract waaay too much trouble. Any of the Elven rings of power would be great, or the Elessar:

Quote:
"And it came into his heart to make a jewel within which the clear light of the sun should be imprisoned, but the jewel should be green as leaves. And he made this thing, and even the Noldor marvelled at it. For it is said that those who looked through this stone saw things that were withered or burned healed again or as they were in the grace of their youth, and that the hands of one who held it brought to all that they touched healing from hurt."
Cirdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 04:48 AM   #4
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
If not a Silmaril (like somebody said, too dangerous), then a Palantír would do fine. Not for using it to communicate (we have internet for that nowadays), but just for the sake of it. I just think it's a very beautiful object. And if it was the palantír of Orthanc, then also because of the people who used to wield it! (Namely, generations of wise Gondorian men, and most of all, Saruman and Pippin And briefly Gandalf. I don't care about Aragorn.) And I could use it to look around the world, just randomly, here and there, but probably just whenever I would feel like it (seems it was rather exhausting business). For this reason it probably also should not be the palantír of Minas Tirith, like Gandalf said, wouldn't exactly like to see that...

EDIT: Oh, but then there is of course Tuor's cloak. But then again, it would not last very long, I presume... so the Palantír is better in the end, I think.
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 07:28 AM   #5
Alfirin
Shade of Carn Dűm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc View Post
If not a Silmaril (like somebody said, too dangerous), then a Palantír would do fine. Not for using it to communicate (we have internet for that nowadays), but just for the sake of it. I just think it's a very beautiful object. And if it was the palantír of Orthanc, then also because of the people who used to wield it! (Namely, generations of wise Gondorian men, and most of all, Saruman and Pippin And briefly Gandalf. I don't care about Aragorn.) And I could use it to look around the world, just randomly, here and there, but probably just whenever I would feel like it (seems it was rather exhausting business). For this reason it probably also should not be the palantír of Minas Tirith, like Gandalf said, wouldn't exactly like to see that...

EDIT: Oh, but then there is of course Tuor's cloak. But then again, it would not last very long, I presume... so the Palantír is better in the end, I think.
if that was what you planned to do with the Palantir (and assuming that you were not limited to items known to still exist at the end of the Third Age), if you had the room, wouldn't the Osgiliath stone be preferable. A Palantir's size influences is range. I think the range of the little ones (like the Anor and Orthanc stones) was stated to be a little more than 600 miles. That's enough to see across the state or maybe the country (depending on which country you are thinking of) but around the world? For that, I think you'd need the mega stone.
Old 03-14-2011, 09:47 AM   #6
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Arwen.

What do you mean I am objectifying a person?
Old 03-14-2011, 04:01 PM   #7
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
I'd take Gurthang. In addition to it allowing me to cut through any other metal (except Adamantium, of course ), I could use it to wake me up in lieu of an alarm clock.

"Get thee up, or I wilt drink thy blood gladly!".
Old 03-14-2011, 05:38 PM   #8
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfirin View Post
if that was what you planned to do with the Palantir (and assuming that you were not limited to items known to still exist at the end of the Third Age), if you had the room, wouldn't the Osgiliath stone be preferable. A Palantir's size influences is range. I think the range of the little ones (like the Anor and Orthanc stones) was stated to be a little more than 600 miles. That's enough to see across the state or maybe the country (depending on which country you are thinking of) but around the world? For that, I think you'd need the mega stone.
Oh yes, well... there would be the stone of Eressea, right but I am not aiming as high. Actually the Osgiliath one sounds fine. And sort of cool. To dig it up by diving to the depths of Anduin or whatnot...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inziladun View Post
I'd take Gurthang. In addition to it allowing me to cut through any other metal (except Adamantium, of course), I could use it to wake me up in lieu of an alarm clock.

"Get thee up, or I wilt drink thy blood gladly!".
Hey, that'd be cool Although if I wanted a chatting item, I would prefer some different one, if any was available. Gurthang seems to be a bit too bloodthirsty for my taste.
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 05:42 PM   #9
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

Anguirel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
I'm much better than Gurthang - equally malicious but more discreet.
Old 03-14-2011, 05:57 PM   #10
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anguirel View Post
I'm much better than Gurthang - equally malicious but more discreet.
But do you possess the "dark heart of the smith"?
Old 03-14-2011, 06:03 PM   #11
Alfirin
Shade of Carn Dűm

Quote:
Oh yes, well... there would be the stone of Eressea, right but I am not aiming as high. Actually the Osgiliath one sounds fine. And sort of cool. To dig it up by diving to the depths of Anduin or whatnot...

Actually to be honest I was thinking of the Osgiliath stone, I frankly forgot about the Erresea stone (i.e. the eighth of seven) amongs other things, it's never been clear to me if the Eressea stone is actually functional for gazing, or if it's permanently "locked" into the one in the tower.
Old 03-14-2011, 06:07 PM   #12
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

Anguirel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
I suppose the best muzack pun relating to my career would be 'Hail to the Thief'?

Although 'Sharp Glance' is screaming out to be a band one day
Old 03-14-2011, 06:35 PM   #13
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
If anything it would probably be a mallorn. If something crafted ..well the phial of Galadriel would be useful but wearable shinies might get the nod - I bet the emeralds of Girion were fabulous or maybe just that necklace Bilbo gave Thranduil.

However if Morth can claim Arwen, Faramir is mine!

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 08:14 PM   #14
Cirdan
Animated Skeleton

Cirdan has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfirin View Post
Actually to be honest I was thinking of the Osgiliath stone, I frankly forgot about the Erresea stone (i.e. the eighth of seven) amongs other things, it's never been clear to me if the Eressea stone is actually functional for gazing, or if it's permanently "locked" into the one in the tower.
The Eressëa stone is the "Master-stone" and it was only referred to once. This (I imagine) would operate much like the Osgiliath stone -able to "eavesdrop" on other stones. Both stones IMHO are much too large. May as well ask for the Stone of Erech while you're at it, or the Argonath!
Cirdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 10:50 PM   #15
Morsul the Dark
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
A hobbit pair of shoes (They RARELY wear shoes so they exist)

Or a ringwraith cloak... because I think it's funny that when you think about it without the cloaks the wraiths are actually streaking.
Morsul the Dark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 07:22 AM   #16
Alfirin
Shade of Carn Dűm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morsul the Dark View Post
A hobbit pair of shoes (They RARELY wear shoes so they exist)
You might have to go back quite a bit for that, I seem to recall shoe wearing as being a trait of Stoorish Hobbits (who lived in sometimes marshy country and so needed them) perhaps also indicating thier mannish affinites (they were also the only hobbits capable of growing facial hair, as I recall). Tolkien (in a note at the bottom of one of the pictures he did, I think it's in The Annotated Hobbit) also mentioned that Bilbo was given a pair of boots when he left Rivendell, but left them there again on the return trip.
Old 03-23-2011, 04:09 PM   #17
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
A ME TV?

I'm also thinking of Galadriel's mirror.

"Show me which questions will appear on my next test?"

And it coud also serve as a ME TV.
Old 03-24-2011, 07:57 AM   #18
Galadriel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Galadriel has just left Hobbiton.
MAGLOR! Oh wait, he's not an object. Oopsies! What if I wrapped him in bubble-wrap? Would he be available for purchase? I could [censored for your mental stability]. But I'm not touching him, oh no...

*Coughs* pardon me. Object, object, hmmm. Dear me, there are so many!

1. The Nauglamir
2. The Phial of Galadriel
3. The first jewels that Fëanor made
4. A strand of Glorfindel's hair. (That is an object! It is, it is, it is!...sorry.)

And, and...I'm running out of ideas. This thread got me too excited. I'll be back when I feel more sane.

Last edited by Galadriel; 03-24-2011 at 08:07 AM.
Galadriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 07:58 AM   #19
Galadriel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morthoron View Post
Arwen.

What do you mean I am objectifying a person?
Out of morbid curiosity...why Arwen?
Old 03-28-2011, 12:45 PM   #20
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Very nice idea for the thread, G55!

I would take athelas or at least seeds of it, if this also counts as an "object". Who knows what diseases in our world could be cured by it?

Plus, unlike most objects which would only be in my posession, athelas could spread throughout the world's woods.
Old 03-28-2011, 04:01 PM   #21
Bom Tombadillo
Wight

Bom Tombadillo has just left Hobbiton.
Question

Hmmmm. I like the idea of having, well, just about anything suggested so far . . . but for the sake of originality, I'll say the One Ring. Unless its corrupting powers still work here (!), in which case I would say . . . an actual copy of the Red Book of Westmarch! Ooh, that'd be better than the Ring anyway. Set right what Tolkien got wrong, and all that.

Or, wait, what about a crate of Morgul-blades? Would that work? I mean, technically it's more than one object, but so is, say, a pair of hobbit-shoes. Plus, I could stab all my least favorite people with them and turn them into my wraith-slaves . . . or just hang them up on my wall (the blades, not the people!)

Or maybe Legolas' bow? Along with the Infinite Quiver (TM) from the movies, of course. Hmm, perhaps the Arkenstone - though preferably without the angry Thorin threatening to throw me over a cliff.

Too . . . many . . . things!
Old 03-28-2011, 04:25 PM   #22
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bom Tombadillo View Post
Too . . . many . . . things!
How about... A shipload of all kinds of goods?
Old 03-28-2011, 04:47 PM   #23
Bom Tombadillo
Wight

Bom Tombadillo has just left Hobbiton.
Ooooh. I actually thought of that, but rejected it on the basis that I wasn't even too sure that my crate of Morgul-blades would be permitted, much less something on that level.
Old 03-28-2011, 04:54 PM   #24
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bom Tombadillo View Post
Ooooh. I actually thought of that, but rejected it on the basis that I wasn't even too sure that my crate of Morgul-blades would be permitted, much less something on that level.
Well, the thread kind of looses the point if everyone just takes everything.

I'm OK with you taking out Morgul blades (as long as I'm not on your need-to-stab list), but Elessar will probably insist on checking your identity if he'd see you carrying it in Gondor...
Old 03-30-2011, 08:53 AM   #25
Galadriel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55 View Post
How about... A shipload of all kinds of goods?
You know, that's great, but the issue would be that a ship wouldn't fit in my house Neither would all those things. How depressing.
Old 03-30-2011, 01:22 PM   #26
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel View Post
You know, that's great, but the issue would be that a ship wouldn't fit in my house Neither would all those things. How depressing.
Maybe you need a houseboat.
Old 03-30-2011, 03:26 PM   #27
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel View Post
Well, you don't need all these things. Who would want a hundred thousand copies of orc armour?
Old 04-04-2011, 04:11 AM   #28
Galadriel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Who would want a hundred thousand copies of orc armour?
Probably Sauron. You know, for his minions
Old 04-04-2011, 05:22 AM   #29
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel
Probably Sauron. You know, for his minions
But surely you're not taking him with you? Or we'll have another Numenor on our hands!

But I guess he would want that armour...
Old 04-17-2011, 10:28 AM   #30
Galadriel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
But surely you're not taking him with you?
I pictured him as a plush doll when you said that
Old 04-17-2011, 11:35 AM   #31
blantyr
Wight

blantyr is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Interesting Thread

Not an easy question. The Three Rings come with too much responsibility, and I'm not strong enough to wield one of them well. I considered the Arkenstone, but asking for an item of wealth or power doesn't seem prudent. There are any number of potent weapons, but I could not wield them and we have enough weapons. Bringing one of the great ladies into this world might not be fair to either the lady or the world.

Perhaps a ripe fruit from the line of Nimloth the Fair, with the intent to plant it?

But that leaves a second question. Where would one plant it?
blantyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2023, 12:21 PM   #32
Alassë Estel
Wight

Alassë Estel has just left Hobbiton.
I think, after a long and terrible struggle with indecisiveness, I would choose one of the Mearas, a horse blessed in both mind and body above their lesser relatives.

Hmmm...a flask of Miruvor would be a close "runner-up". I have always been fascinated by it, wondering what it tastes of and about it's effect to strengthen and renew.
John 3:16
Alassë Estel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2023, 05:06 AM   #33
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Location: Unattended on the railway station, in the litter at the dancehall
Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
1420!

Before I quit smoking it would have been a good stash of South Farthing leaf. Nowadays maybe a barrel of Butterbur's home-brewed craft beer.
Old 07-09-2023, 09:05 PM   #34
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Funny. This is a somewhat silly thread I don't even remember creating all those years ago, but I still stick by my former answer. I'll have a Lorien Elven-cloak, preferably with a brooch.