The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-06-2005, 11:03 PM   #161
Lathriel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Wandering through Middle-Earth (Sadly in Alberta and not ME)
Lathriel has just left Hobbiton.
I am also a geek. Maybe not a major one but i do have tendencies. I love band and when I graduate this year the most heartbreaking part will be the fact that I won't be able to play in a band anymore.

I have also taken two AP courses, English and Spanish just because I find both of these subjects interesting.

I don't always reveal my full geekiness cause me family gets annoyed and thats where the Barrowdowns comes in. I can just reveal my full geek self without getting weird looks or my brother rolling his eyes.
Old 05-07-2005, 07:23 AM   #162
elronds_daughter
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

elronds_daughter has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imrahil
I'm a geek
I'm a Major Geek, Imrahil. So there!

And I'm proud of it! We should all embrace our geekiness!
Old 05-07-2005, 01:37 PM   #163
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

Encaitare is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Quote:
I have also taken two AP courses, English and Spanish just because I find both of these subjects interesting.
Four for me, to date: European history, American history, English, and Music Theory. Four more next year -- Government, Economics, Spanish, and the next level of English -- along with two other courses for college credit: Psychology and Music History.

About half of these classes hold no interest for me whatsoever.

Last edited by Encaitare; 05-07-2005 at 01:38 PM. Reason: Just because I don't like AP English doesn't mean I'll settle for the wrong preposition!
Encaitare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2005, 05:26 AM   #164
Lalwendė
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I have to ask, what's an AP course? Is that something like studying a subject you don't have to study? Like doing extra lessons?
Old 05-08-2005, 06:29 AM   #165
elronds_daughter
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

elronds_daughter has just left Hobbiton.
"AP" stands for "Advanced Placement". It just means you're taking classes at a higher level than the average.... I think. I don't really know much about it, being homeschooled.....
Old 05-08-2005, 07:54 AM   #166
Holbytlass
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Holbytlass has just left Hobbiton.
Whether the word 'geek' is meant to be a compliment or an insult I don't fall into either category. I'm not brainy or technically inclined, and people who see me or know me wouldn't think of me as 'geeky'. I'm just a plain, average, uneventful kind of a person. Most people wouldn't think of me as a Tolkien fan, but when they get a glimps into my obsession, then I'm considered weird.
Old 05-08-2005, 11:19 AM   #167
Elentari_Elbereth
Pile O'Bones

Elentari_Elbereth has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Elentari_Elbereth Send a message via MSN to Elentari_Elbereth Send a message via Yahoo to Elentari_Elbereth
Since I've been homeschooled most of my life (save last year and this year), I've never been in a school with AP classes or Honors classes. But I came into 8th grade in a private school and passed tremendously well; straight A's. I did so well that they let me skip the 9th grade and go straight into 10th.
So I'm a grade ahead and doing exceptionally well. I'm bored with my classes, and I find them very simple.. but the rest of the class thinks it is very difficult.

When we review or study in group they fight for me on their side.

odd...

...Who shall see the last evening?
Elentari_Elbereth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2005, 04:32 PM   #168
Lathriel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Wandering through Middle-Earth (Sadly in Alberta and not ME)
Lathriel has just left Hobbiton.
AP is a first year university course that you an take in Highschool. If you get a 3 or 4 out of 5 for your exam mark some universities let you skip a first year course. So if you want to get a degree really quickly it can help or you can repeat the course and get higher marks.

Not a lot of people take these courses and that is where the geek factor (or nerd factor)seems to come in.
Old 05-08-2005, 09:33 PM   #169
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalwendė
I have to ask, what's an AP course? Is that something like studying a subject you don't have to study? Like doing extra lessons?
An AP course is like flagellantism: self-inflicted torment that everyone assures you is for the best in the long run.

Lathriel explained it rather well. Basically it is a college-level course, and at the end of the year you take a grueling 3-hour exam. A 3 or above (out of 5) will earn you 3 college credits, although some schools require a 4, or a 5, and certain sticklers won't take them at all.

I suppose they're right, though... I'll be graduating high school with 36 credits, and though not all schools will take them all, at some I can knock out virtually all liberal arts courses because of these credits.

In my school there are Regents Skills courses, which are the easiest, Regents courses, which most people take, and AP or SCALE courses, which get you college credits. They're a lot more work, but I think I'd be bored to tears in anything else. There actually are some cool courses you can take, though, like music theory and music history.

I've actually got my AP theory exam tomorrow, so I'd really better get to bed...
Old 05-09-2005, 01:27 PM   #170
Amroth

Shield

I don't favour thinking of myself as a geek because everything i do except like LotR HP SW and stuff, ain't what ive heard very geeky.
I think the word geek is just a desperate attack mechanism for someone so that they don't feel so bad about themselves. Confusing? nah just weird.Sorry for any offence taken.
Old 05-10-2005, 04:52 AM   #171
Lalwendė
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
So you're all deadly clever then, taking these classes a year early?

You can't do that in the UK. The closest thing to it is if you are in a school which groups kids according to ability, and that's not very common any more. This is a good thing for anyone who's average at a subject, but if you are very good then you only suffer in mixed ability classes. At primary school I was placed with kids a year above me, but there was no way the local authorities would let me go to high school at 10 so I spent over a year learning anything I wanted to (easy to deal with, with only 30 kids in a whole school). Then it took until I was 13 to finally start learning anything new, by which time I'd developed an unhealthily strong independent and anti-authoritarian streak! I suppose its better to be a geek in the US then. It would certainly be excellent to have to be at university for less time, as there would be less bills!
Old 05-10-2005, 07:09 AM   #172
Celebuial
Wight

Celebuial has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Celebuial
I suppose I'm a geek. I got A*'s and A's in my GCSE's with only two B's. I took more subjects than everybody else and took some a year early. I was also the only person doing two languages. But Now I'm doing my A-levels and I was shoked to find that you actually have to put in some effort! I'll be starting an Astrophysics Degree in September.

I still don't get this whole AP thing though. Does that mean that if you don't do any of these you can't go to university? As long as I get the required grades I don't need to do anything else. From all the books I've read that have school scenes there was one that had a bit about an AP maths class, but all the stuff was GCSE or As level so I don't get it. Are university courses longer in America or something? Is that why people take them?
Boe min bango.
Celebuial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 01:32 PM   #173
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celebuial
I still don't get this whole AP thing though. Does that mean that if you don't do any of these you can't go to university?
Certainly not! They just earn you some college credits to get you a head start. Although they're not at all necessary, colleges/universities like to see that you've taken AP courses because it means you can handle a college workload.

Quote:
Are university courses longer in America or something? Is that why people take them?
As far as I know, all courses run for one semester. I plan on doing a double major in college, for music education and flute performance. In a lot of schools this is a five-year program instead of the regular four, so having credits in advance will lighten the load a bit for me about a year from now.
Old 05-10-2005, 03:03 PM   #174
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
not all schools have AP

My school is small (less than 500 students Pre-K to 12), and they don't offer AP courses. The closest we have are actual college classes that advanced students can take. My "brother"'s only senior year requirements are Economics and Phys. Ed. Besides that, he took photography, but he only comes in for that. He goes to college classes the rest of the time. I've got credit for a freshman level Government course, and am five weeks from completion of an Economics one. They won't help me for my intended major, but as I'm going to a liberal arts college, it means that they'll be out of the way and I can fill the space with electives.

I am a nerd though. I happily admit it. I'll post for you something that I first heard my Advanced Biology teacher read three or four years ago:

Quote:
Michael Jordan will make over $300,000 a game, $10,000 a minute assuming he averages about 30 minutes a game.

Assuming $40 mil in endorsements next year, he'll be making $178,100 a day (working or not)!

Assuming he sleeps 7 hours a night, he makes $52,000 every night while
visions of sugarplums dance in his head.

If he goes to see Independence Day, it'll cost him $7.00, but he'll make $18,550 while he's there.

If he decides to have a 5 minute egg, he'll make $618 while boiling it.

He makes $7,415/hr more than minimum wage (after the wage hike)

He'll make $3,710 while watching each episode of Friends.

If he wanted to save up for a new Acura NSX ($90,000) it would take him a whole 12 days.

If someone were to hand him his salary and endorsement money, they would have to do it at the rate of $2.00 every second.

He'll probably pay around $200 for a nice round of golf, but will be 'reimbursed' $33,390 for that round.

He could take 1/100,000th of his income and buy some poor college student 5200 packages of Ramen.

Assuming he puts the federal maximum of 15% of his income into his tax deferred account (401k), he will hit the federal cap of $9500 for such accounts at 8:30 a.m. on January 1st, 1997.

If you were given a tenth of a penny for every dollar he made, you'd be living comfortably at $65,000 a year.

He'll make about $19.60 while watching the 100 meter dash in the Olympics.

He'll make about $15,600 while the Boston Marathon is being run.

While the common person is spending about $20 for a meal in his trendy Chicago restaurant, he'll pull in about $5600.

Next year, he'll make more than twice as much as all of our past presidents for all of their terms combined.

And something to cheer you up after all of this. . .

Jordan will only have to have this income for 270 more years to have a net worth equivalent to that of Bill Gates.
See? Nerds win hands down. And Lord of the Rings helps us on the path to greatness, teaching us modesty through Arwen, trust through Frodo, honor through Boromir, leadership through Aragorn, understated intelligence through Merry, faith through Sam.... must I continue? The virtues that make every person great can be learned through the reading of a novel. Who wouldn't want to?
Old 05-18-2005, 06:00 PM   #175
zifnab
Shade of Carn Dūm

zifnab has just left Hobbiton.
According to dictionary.com (of course I chopped it)...

geek ( P ) Pronunciation Key (gk)
n. Slang

A carnival performer whose show consists of bizarre acts, such as biting the head off a live chicken.
----------------------------

geek

n 1: a carnival performer who does disgusting acts 2: a person with an unusual or odd personality [syn: eccentric, eccentric person, flake, oddball]
----------------------------

I wonder if KFC is hiring at the moment...