Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Roleplaying > Elvenhome
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-06-2005, 02:36 AM   #361
Osse
Shade of Carn Dûm

Location: The Encircling Sea, deciding which ship to ruin next...could be yours.
Osse has just left Hobbiton.
9 feet tall and well built sound good to me... not 20 foot like in the films... though they did look awesome.

It would still be quite an achievement for one man/elf/dwarf to take down such a beast.
Old 06-06-2005, 02:48 AM   #362
Saurreg
Shade of Carn Dûm

Saurreg has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Saurreg Send a message via MSN to Saurreg
My next post will be absolutely dwarvish.

Before that is anyone interested in posting something before the big fight under the Blue Mountains?

Novnarwen - I have read your PM and I think my post will preceed yours but don't worry, in that post the dwarves will not be at the scene of the battle yet. So feel free to plan your ideas if you need to. Cheers.
Old 06-06-2005, 04:03 AM   #363
Osse
Shade of Carn Dûm

Location: The Encircling Sea, deciding which ship to ruin next...could be yours.
Post in the works for the situation. Saurreg and myself have discussed how we are going to go about sorting out the foray, hopefully opening the way for the rest of you.
Old 06-06-2005, 02:18 PM   #364
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
1420!

Thanks for pitching in, everyone! Good to see this game moving along.

~*~ Pio
Old 06-07-2005, 01:22 AM   #365
Saurreg
Shade of Carn Dûm

Hi all,

1. Novnarwen will have a post up soon.

2. The fiery barrier is of course no more.

3. Dwarves will be on the way.

P.S: Amanaduial - I hope you got my PM.
Old 06-09-2005, 02:54 AM   #366
Saurreg
Shade of Carn Dûm

First dwarven post in.

.................................................. .................................................. .......
.........spider tunnel..........................................|. ...................................
................|................................. ..................|............................... .......
................|................................. ..................|............................... ........
....D......... |................................................. ..|.E......F.......................... G
==*====================================*===*====== ========*==
.....|............................................ ......................................|........... ........
.....|............................................ ......................................|........... ........
......\___________________________________________ ______ _/...................
..................Carthor's mistake tunnel............................................ .........

Time for an update:

1. Erenor, Faerim, Angore and the other elves and refugees are around D or even further to the left because Belegorn had ordered them to retreat

2. Belegorn is now at E, just outside his tunnel and racing towards F.

3. F is where Cathor and company are at the moment. The trolls are there also.

4. G is where the dwarves would most probably come in - from another tunnel further to the right (will not come into use in this RPG).

Hope this clears things up.

P.S: I have put up my MSN and AIM contact. Send a msg to me if u r unsure of anything or have suggestions to keep the RPG going. Cuz I'm all out of ideas at the moment.
Old 06-12-2005, 10:03 AM   #367
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Just to say I will edit anything that spoils the master plan ...just wanted to get things moving but tried to keep things as open as possible..
Erenor's chanting would not be enough to stop the trolls - Gandalf she ain't but it might bewilder them a little while the cavalry sorry the dwarves arrive....

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Old 06-15-2005, 01:34 PM   #368
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Don't want to be picky but Erenor is not screeching but chanting - more a resonant humming effect than a wail

Old 06-16-2005, 07:28 AM   #369
Saurreg
Shade of Carn Dûm

Can we all end the tunnel fight by this Sunday? Can all posts pertaining to current episode be in by then?

Time to move along, we're lagging again.
Old 06-16-2005, 04:14 PM   #370
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Amanaduial the archer has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Amanaduial the archer
Silmaril

Sorry, sorry...*grovelgrovelgrovel*...I'm in exams at the moment - revision for GCSE chemistry has kinda kept me in hiding recently, and from tomorrow onwards Physics, French and RS will be doing the same. But after Wednesday, I'll be free! Free! Freeee!!!

...ahem.

But yes. What I mean to say is, I'm very sorry for the stupidly delayed post - I will eventually start on it, but the whole GCSE national exams thing...they're kinda...big...*mumbles away to nothing* Anyway, I am very sorry about that, but I will attempt to produce a post soon. Thanks for your patience so far and...sorry...
Old 06-16-2005, 07:01 PM   #371
Saurreg
Shade of Carn Dûm

Amanaduial - I would strongly recommend that you concentrate on your studies first.

My call for last posts in the current episode is meant for other players really.
Old 06-17-2005, 04:13 AM   #372
Osse
Shade of Carn Dûm

save filled... will have another one soon. Dwarves need to come to our rescue.
Old 06-17-2005, 07:57 AM   #373
Saurreg
Shade of Carn Dûm

Agreed. I'll have them in by tomorrow if no one else posts.
Old 06-18-2005, 05:06 AM   #374
Nilpaurion Felagund
Scion of The Faithful

Location: The brink, where hope and despair are akin. [The Philippines]
Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
1420! Hi!

Sorry if my post-vacation catch-up took so long.

But now I'm back.

And we care how . . . ?

Hush, Adam. You always get me into trouble.
Old 06-18-2005, 08:47 AM   #375
Garen LiLorian
Wight

Garen LiLorian has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Garen LiLorian
I'd like to add my voice to the general clamoring of apologies. But now the last of my school requirements are done with, so I'm here now. Really, I am.

So, before I post, I have a quick question. Erenor just called Angore's birth name, which would probably scare him a lot, and Betheril's save says 'chatting with Angore.' I'd like to respond to both of these things, and still get to the tunnel in time to be fighting, so is there any chance Nilp's -and my- save could be moved back a few posts? Say, right after Mith's post giving Angore his choice?
This is my quest, to follow that star; no matter how hopeless, no matter how far. To fight for the right, without question or pause. To be willing to march into Hell for a Heavenly cause! -Man of La Mancha
Old 06-18-2005, 10:37 AM   #376
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Garen

No need to put a SAVE prior to something already posted. Just write a post, leave it on the discussion thread, and tell me what post (by number) it's supposed to follow or proceed. I'll insert it with your name into that post box.

----------------------

Nilpaurion

Please do the same if needed.

~*~ Pio
Old 06-19-2005, 07:15 AM   #377
Nilpaurion Felagund
Scion of The Faithful

Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
1420! Ummm . . .

I PLACED YOUR POST IN YOUR SAVE - SEE GAREN'S REQUEST BELOW ~*~ PIO

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, should I delete my save?

In that case . . . Garen, here's what I'm supposed to post in my save. Please tell me if I need to change some things in it.

~*~

Erenor rushed off to fight the trolls, leaving Bethiril lost in thought. “I am no longer Emissary, for the Kingdom as we know it is no more.” The older Noldo remembered saying such words to her younger colleague not long ago, to which she added the hope of not seeing her purpose fall to meaninglessness.

But the North Kingdom as it had been is no more. Even if the people that once had inhabited its land . . . No. Forget the distant future. This remnant of Arnor left to your care must survive. She left her contemplation to look around her, to remember the faces of the persons that had been entrusted to her . . .

Angóre, she immediately discerned, is troubled in mind. Bethiril queried him in his thoughts. He wants to go after the monsters that scarred his life, and after the person he had protected for so long.

“You may go,” she said.

“But you . . . and them . . .”

“We’ll be fine. Now go.”

“I may not leave you unarmed,” he said as he withdrew a sheathed dagger from his thigh. “Take this.”

Bethiril stared at the presented arms. She no longer shuddered at the sight of it, yet . . . Dare I take it? Go against everything I believe in? Perhaps wearing the weapon would not be so evil . . . Yet should the need arise, will I use it for its ghastly purpose? Will I take I life? Could I do such a thing and not break myself?

Angóre sensed the conflict within her. “Milady, although I entrust to you the life of these Edain, I would not trust you with my blade.” She saw the beginnings of a smile in his face, suppressed quickly as he pointed to a Man behind Bethiril, a former member of the Rearguard of Arnor now bandaged and in crutches. “Take this dagger, soldier. You are now in charge of protecting them.” He then saluted stiffly in the manner of the fighting men of Arnor, and the soldier, with as much formality as he could muster, returned it. The Elf turned back to Bethiril and bowed. “Thank you, milady. May the Valar protect you,” he said before running off to follow Erenor. Bethiril’s eyes trailed him for a while, then she remembered her charge. It may not bring with it the hope of ending Angmar's reign, but . . .

Perhaps it will.

“Let us go,” she said.

~*~

Pio, will you please place this after Mithalwen's post #157? Thanks!

Last edited by piosenniel; 06-19-2005 at 02:08 PM.
Old 06-19-2005, 11:08 AM   #378
Garen LiLorian
Wight

That's be fine, Nilp. I'll just take it from there, shall I?

Actually, you know what? I think both Nilp's and my posts can go right where our saves are. Eheheh. Nevermind, Pio. Thanks anyway.
This is my quest, to follow that star; no matter how hopeless, no matter how far. To fight for the right, without question or pause. To be willing to march into Hell for a Heavenly cause! -Man of La Mancha
Old 06-19-2005, 02:36 PM   #379
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Thumbs up

Nilp

I placed your post into your SAVE as requested by Garen.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Everyone

Kudos to you all for bringing this game back to life! Well done!

Once the section with the Trolls is finished, please discuss/make plans for where you want to go next with the game. It’s now in your capable hands.

Please note I’ve gone through and removed icons from the game posts. Let’s let your posts stand on the merit of their writing and not on their decoration. Leave the icons for the discussion thread and the Inn. Please also remember to remove your signatures from game posts.

Looking forward to seeing where your collective creative energies take the storyline.

~*~ Pio
Old 06-21-2005, 10:29 AM   #380
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Saurreg

Do you still need your "Save - Belegorn & the dwarves" in post space #163 on the game?

If not, can you please delete it.

Thanks!

~*~ Pio
Old 06-22-2005, 06:32 AM   #381
Saurreg
Shade of Carn Dûm

Yes piosenniel. In fact I am just about to fill it.

Cheers
Old 06-22-2005, 07:48 AM   #382
Saurreg
Shade of Carn Dûm

I have posted. Hopefully this would be the last we see of dwarves and trolls. I've had enough of them, thank you.

Would anyone like to conclude this episode with a post? The post should contain a brief aftermath of the battle, the discovery of maps underneath dwarven king's crown and the return to the upside.

If not I will conclude in a few hours time.
Old 06-22-2005, 10:27 AM   #383
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

1420!

Everyone who's still playing in the game:

The Troll section will be finished in say a post or so.

How would you like the game to proceed? Do you want to do wrap up posts and have the game end here?

Or would you like to move on toward the Ice Bay?

Or . . .?

The game is no longer dependent on Kransha's original plan.

What would you like to do?

Let me see some discussion on this.

~*~ Pio
Old 06-22-2005, 10:36 AM   #384
Arry
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arry has just left Hobbiton.
I was slotted to do a cameo as a wolf of the north who harasses the troops just prior to getting to the Ice Bay.

From what I've read of the game - the travelers may have been besieged enough. So -- how can I help out? Do you want me to bring in some other character to join the Elves and Men?

Do the Elves want to take the upper hand and splinter the group off and take them to safety in Mithlond? Or do you all want a last and glorious death scene on a sinking ship?

-- Arry
Old 06-22-2005, 11:22 AM   #385
Saurreg
Shade of Carn Dûm

I'm in this RPG for the long term and I think Osse also. I would like it if we all contribute to keep the story flowing as best as we could until a satisfying ending can be achieved. But if majority interest has waned and everybody wants to pack up early - fine by me also.
Old 06-22-2005, 05:53 PM   #386
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

How about a "specific" suggestion for where you'd like to see the storyline go next, after the Elves and Men have regrouped and are out of the mountain tunnels.

Anyone have a suggestion?
Old 06-23-2005, 12:47 PM   #387
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Well I don't want to give up on it and leave Erenor and co in a tunnel forever.....

I while Erenor's intention was to attempt a break for Mithlond if a western exit was found, the troll and spider fighting episodes has bonded her more with at least the Dunedain she fought alongside and assuming she survives her current injuries, she may be less likely to take the " every man (elf) for himself approach given the chance. However she would not be keen on going north.

Just a factual question .... do we know how Arvedui's sons were alerted to their father's plight to send the ship north for the disastrous rescue? Is there scope for some of our people being the messengers or was it done by palantir? Feel quite sad about everyone meeting a chilly and damp end but I guess that was what we signed up for....

Old 06-23-2005, 01:05 PM   #388
Garen LiLorian
Wight

That sounds good to me, Mithalwen. I'd posted something similar to that here
which was responded to in here
But that seems a little irrelevent now. However, I don't think it ever says when or where Arvedui's sons left their father, or indeed how they knew he was heading to the north. We could, at the end of this little cave adventure, talk to Arvedui's sons and convince them to go to the Havens with us. Anyone still desiring a watery grave could still go on the ship to pick up the king and company
Either way though is ok with me. We did indeed sign up for such an end, so marching into the snows is cool too.
Old 06-23-2005, 01:51 PM   #389
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

ah yes I do remember that now..... so long ago!!!

So who is still active? You, me, Saurreg, Osse Nilp is back and I guess Aman will be too soon enough..? Lal?

Old 06-23-2005, 02:50 PM   #390
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Amanaduial the archer has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Amanaduial the archer
Silmaril

If no one minds terribly, Faerim had decided to drop in on the battle. Terribly sorry for any inconvenience and all that.

Watery death sounds good to me. Or not. Either way. I like that idea, Garen, it opens up a different perspective; I don't have any particular preference, although I certainly don't want this game to end yet. I am alive, blessing or curse as that may appear. Does anyone know, out of interest, where Kransha has actually gone? Haven't seen Lalwende for a while though... Not sure exactly how we've managed to end up as a rather depleted group of six, but hey, that's not too few
Old 06-24-2005, 06:48 AM   #391
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

The fewness perhaps makes the splinter group option viable?

Old 06-24-2005, 07:00 AM   #392
Saurreg
Shade of Carn Dûm

I have entered a TGV speed summary post of the battle and delivered the characters to safety above ground again. Go me!

Alright now, you may all start stoning me for the horrendous post. But at least we've left the tunnels behind us.
Old 06-24-2005, 10:26 AM   #393
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

It’s my understanding that the two sons of Arvedui left their father during the capture of Fornost. They were driven westward over the Lune by the King of Angmar’s forces.

Arvedui and some of his guard went north to the North Downs just above Fornost and battled Angmar’s troops. Then Arvedui and his small remnant fled northwest & eventually hid in the old dwarven tunnels at the far northern end of the Blue Mountains.

Aranarth, Arvedui's son, and his group of Dunedain must have reached Cirdan about the same time his father reached the Snowmen. I don't think the king could have used the palantir to signal Cirdan and his sons, since it would require them to have a palantir. It seems to me that Aranarth knew his father was heading north and Cirdan sent a ship with a search party to Forochel to start the search there. It was sheer chance that the king and his men had kept a signal fire on the beach of the Ice Bay and that it was spotted by the sailors.

Quote:
Appendix A; Return of the King:

In 1974 the power of Angmar arose again, and the Witch-king came down upon Arthedain before winter was ended. He captured Fornost, and drove most of the remaining Dunedain over the Lune; among them were the sons of the king. But King Arvedui held out upon the North Downs until the last, and then fled north with some of his guard; and they escaped by the swiftness of their horses.

For a while Arvedui hid in the tunnels of the old dwarven mines near the far end of the Mountains, but he was driven at last by hunger to seek the help of the Lossoth, the Snowmen of Forochel. Some of these he found in camp by the seashore; but they did not help the king willingly, for he had nothing to offer them, save a few jewels which they did not value; and they were afraid of the Witch-king . . . But partly out of pity for the gaunt king and his men, and partly ut of fear of their weapons, they gave them a little food and built for them snow-huts. There Arvedui was forced to wait, hoping for help from the south; for his horses had perished.
When Cirdan heard from Aranarth, Arvedui’s oldest son, that the king had fled north, he sent a ship to Forochel to seek for him. The winds were contrary and it took a number of days before Arvedui and his remnant were spotted – they had kept a small blaze going near the shore as a signal fire. It was March by then and the ice only beginning to thaw.

The Lossoth were amazed at the sight of the ship. They could not remember ever seeing one in the Bay. They took some of their sliding carts and went out onto the ice as far as they dared with the king and his men to meet the boats from the ship. The Lossoth smelled danger in the wind and counseled the king to let the boats bring them supplies of food and other things so that the king and his little band could wait until summer, when the power of the Witch-king wanes – “. . . but now his breath is deadly and his cold arm is long . . .” the chief of the Lossoth told the king.

Arvedui did not heed the counsel. In parting he gave the chief his ring (the Ring of Barahir), later ransomed by the Dunedain. The Dunedain got on the ship. A great storm of wind with blinding snow from the North came up before they could leave they bay. It drove the ship back onto the ice and piled up ice against it. In the night, the ice crushed the hull of the ship and the vessel foundered. All were lost including the 2 palantiri – the Stone of Annuminas and that of Amon Sul.

Last edited by piosenniel; 06-24-2005 at 11:03 AM.
Old 06-24-2005, 10:59 AM   #394
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Cheers Pio..

Saurreg's post does seem to have made the decision though.. surely a splinter group would have sought a western exit?

Old 06-24-2005, 11:07 AM   #395
Garen LiLorian
Wight

I like the idea that the Dwarves led them to a western exit, far from the camp of the king. It provides a good chance for Belegorn and the guardsmen -assuming they want to rejoin the king- to have some conflict with the Elves, who'd probably see this as the perfect chance to break for civilization. And bringing the message to the sons of Arvedui at Mithlond seems as good a way to end the game as drowning in the bay. It seems like everyone who's weighed in has agreed with that sentiment, thus far at least. Any strong supporters of marching north?
Old 06-26-2005, 05:27 AM   #396
Osse
Shade of Carn Dûm

A splinter would be interesting... perhaps the elves finally get fed up, and convince some of the dunedain to go with them to the Havens... Faerim especially would have to choose between what was wise and what was his duty. Obviously the more intelligent and self-preserving of the Dunedain would listen to the Elvish council... but the more pig-headed and dutiful would not. I like the way this is sounding.

Last edited by Osse; 06-28-2005 at 04:52 PM.
Old 06-29-2005, 01:12 PM   #397
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Ok I am going to make a post for Erenor that will rais ethis possibility. If we decide to go with the splinter group plan it will only effect about the last sentence of Saureg's otherwise effective "winding up post". If Erenor is again overruled at least it will tidy up her injuries. I have thought of various possible strategies to take some dunedain along if they don't want to desert...

We managed to regain a bit of momentum lets not lose it again.

I have ot say that I think the splinter group would be the easiest way for our reduced numbers to bring this to a satisfactory and dignified conclusion - and anyone who wants a watery death could join the search ship?

I have to say that while the Elves were overruled when they were in the minority, I think it is inconceivable (!) that they would not make a bid for the havens when they were in a small group. However Erenor would certainly not want Faerim (& co) to go to what she regards as certain death....

Old 07-01-2005, 05:46 AM   #398
Nilpaurion Felagund
Scion of The Faithful

1420! Hi!

I would like Bethiril to be left with the King. I've always envisioned him dying sometime in this game. But she's still alive, so I guess this is the place and time to kill her.
Old 07-01-2005, 02:20 PM   #399
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

OOOh interesting..... sorry for delay -WW5 Sunday? Sorry

Old 07-02-2005, 09:29 AM   #400
Saurreg
Shade of Carn Dûm

My last post can be changed. No pressure people. No pressure.

Let me suggest the following course to end this RPG:

1. The much reduced refugees (sans king and entourage) makes their way to the Elven havens.

2. They are attacked by some enemies - lotsa injuries and deaths.

3. The survivors make it to Mithlond.

Here is where I think ideas diverge. Some players want to drown in sea. I for one intend for Saurreg and some of his men to remain and form the nucleus of the embryonic Rangers of the north. There are players whom would obviously want to quit this game as soon as possible, which is sad but understandable. Let's have three "fall out" exits.

exit 1 = During the attack by the enemy on the snowfields.
exit 2 = At Mithlond
exit 3 = on the sinking ship

I propose to those whom want to leave ASAP to stay on for just alittle while and take the first exit. Players who have left without any instructions should have their characters destroyed there also. Exit 2 is meant for Saurreg (Belegorn) and the others who wish to remain in Arnor. Exit 3 would be used to tie up the game.

Comments?