Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Roleplaying > Elvenhome
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-20-2006, 04:12 AM   #521
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JennyHallu
LMP, will Eodwine be making sure that planting and whatnot are taken care of at Sorn's estate? We wouldn't want the farmwork to get behind and waste the good land.
Only if someone in-story recommends it. Eodwine's character is such that he wouldn't think of it himself, because though Eorl, he still hasn't gotten his mind around the whole idea that these c. 2500 square miles called the Middle Emnet are his business.
Old 12-20-2006, 05:57 AM   #522
JennyHallu
The Pearl, The Lily Maid

Location: In my luxury Barrow, snuggled up in a pile of satin pillows, eating fresh fruit.
JennyHallu has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to JennyHallu Send a message via AIM to JennyHallu Send a message via MSN to JennyHallu Send a message via Yahoo to JennyHallu
Well I haven't got a character around who would recommend it (Lin's a little preoccupied...) either unless Marenil shows up for some reason. Poop.
Old 12-20-2006, 09:51 AM   #523
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I suppose Garstan might be able to think through his pain, or Thornden might suggest it. If it's not within their characters' purview, I guess it presents Marenil with a bigger challenge later...... ???
Old 12-20-2006, 03:16 PM   #524
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
Woo, Indiana.

Save is filled. Tara, feel free to wound Scyld a little bit - and I'm sure he'd welcome the opportunity to do the same.
Old 12-20-2006, 03:20 PM   #525
JennyHallu
The Pearl, The Lily Maid

Location: In my luxury Barrow, snuggled up in a pile of satin pillows, eating fresh fruit.
Send a message via ICQ to JennyHallu Send a message via AIM to JennyHallu Send a message via MSN to JennyHallu Send a message via Yahoo to JennyHallu
I've done some research...planting needs to be done in March. Farming is a very time-sensitive thing. Eodwine was a farmer, wasn't he? I'm surprised he wouldn't think about it, whether or not he's used to it being his business. Fields left fallow unnecessarily are a wasteful wasteful thing.
Old 12-20-2006, 07:27 PM   #526
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

So as this rpg is taking place in April-May, the planting was done by Sorn if at all. I'll give you that Eodwine would notice if fields are fallow that should be planted. He still wouldn't remember that it's his business; he'd see it as Sorn's relatives' business instead.
Old 12-21-2006, 03:34 PM   #527
JennyHallu
The Pearl, The Lily Maid

'k, we're good then.

This is me saying goodbye until next Wednesday...see my signature if you're curious where I am!

God bless you all, and Merry Christmas!
Old 12-23-2006, 01:16 AM   #528
Taralphiel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Taralphiel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Taralphiel
Sorry I didn't see your post sooner, Fire

I hope my response works. I know Sorn's taunts are more than likely inaccurate, but Scyld can feel free to try and tell him how wrong he is I'm hoping Gurth will cut in here and settle Sorn's part soon.

As I'm supposing I won't get in another post beforehand, I'd like to wish everyone in Abduction a very Merry Christmas! Enjoy!

- Tara
Old 01-04-2007, 10:50 AM   #529
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Maybe a little flawed, but I needed to be finished. If I've forgotten anything crucial, my apologies.
Old 01-06-2007, 07:42 PM   #530
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

I'd like to post for Eodwine and the troops, but don't have a really clear idea of how close they are to the fight between Scyld and Sorn.

The way I have this pictured in my head is that there is a rough, hilly area just beyond Sorn's lands, up and into which Scyld and Linduial have led Sorn and Gurth. The first rise is where Sorn and Gurth were when Eodwine spotted them, at which time Scyld and Linduial may be supposed to have been already through the next small valley and climbing the next rough slope. My thinking is that by the time Eodwine and his closest fellows reach the crest of the first hill, Sorn will have just started attacking Scyld; and from the crest of the hill Eodwine and others could spot this and urge their horses on through the small valley and up the next hill, rather quickly.

Is that reasonably accurate?

I think that the deaths of Gurth and Sorn should occur just before Eodwine's force gets there, right?

Last, is this land too rough for horses? If it is, that greatly aids the timing issue by slowing down Eodwine and company so that the fights to the death, including Linduial's part in them, may ensue as far as the writers wish to take them.
Old 01-06-2007, 07:47 PM   #531
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemanpoet
Last, is this land too rough for horses? If it is, that greatly aids the timing issue by slowing down Eodwine and company so that the fights to the death, including Linduial's part in them, may ensue as far as the writers wish to take them.
I would say that the land is not too rough for them. It may be too rough for them to go galloping over it, but they could probably take it at maybe a trot. Or, if you want them to go slower, you can make it so.

I can't answer any of your other questions.

-- Foley
Old 01-06-2007, 08:07 PM   #532
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Mostly I'd agree with Folwren, though I think the way Jenny and I were describing it, it was rather rocky, sometimes climbing over rocks (not huge ones, with Lin's wrist)... so perhaps the precise path that Lin and Scyld took wouldn't work for horses, but I'm sure they could manage.

I'd say that the rest of your post is fairly accurate.

I'll try to have a post up for Scyld tomorrow.

Does anyone know where Ang is? Last I checked, he hasn't been around since before Christmas sometime...
Old 01-06-2007, 08:11 PM   #533
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Okay, thanks. I thought it was kind of rocky with bushes, tussocks and scrub-trees instead of big ones like maples. If it's rocky, maybe it's a little sandy too? Or at least not so black and thick as elsewhere on the Eorling plain?

Anyway, I'll wait until after Firefoot posts before I do.
Old 01-07-2007, 11:30 AM   #534
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

Anguirel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
I'm about, though a hint about when Gurth should strike would be much appreciated...
Old 01-07-2007, 11:33 AM   #535
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Anytime now, Ang. I'll have my save filled sometime this afternoon, but not much significant will happen... so whenever you're ready.
Old 01-08-2007, 04:08 AM   #536
Taralphiel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Wonderful post, Fire! You know Sorn too well! *happy*

Ang, do you think Gurth's first reaction would be to swing at Sorn? My impression is he aids Sorn until he makes the mistake of perhaps lunging at Lin, making it obvious to Gurth what he has to do.

Does this seem agreeable to everyone?

I don't really have much to post until that's decided. If that's the way to go, I'll make another post between Gurth turning, then after.

Gotta have a dramatic death post with a last stab at evil monologues. My last fix.

- Tara
Old 01-08-2007, 10:35 AM   #537
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taralphiel
Ang, do you think Gurth's first reaction would be to swing at Sorn? My impression is he aids Sorn until he makes the mistake of perhaps lunging at Lin, making it obvious to Gurth what he has to do.
My two cents: that seems just the right way to write this!
Old 01-26-2007, 05:11 PM   #538
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

...Hello?

Cobwebs are starting to grow in this thread...
Old 01-26-2007, 07:40 PM   #539
Taralphiel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Having technical difficulties...

Hi all,

I am trying to sneak on my work connection for a few moments to catch up. For RP purposes my connection has been gone and will be so until about Wednesday.

I can write SOME stuff, but it wil be limited. Let's see if I can do something worthwhile and capitolise on all my free net-less time

- Tara
Old 01-28-2007, 07:09 AM   #540
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

This has been a hectic month for me, as point man for my church's men's retreat. It took priority. Now that it is finished, I can devote more time to this again.

So is it time for Eodwine and his 'cavalry' to arrive? I don't think so. There needs to be a fight to the mutual death between Sorn and Gurth, does there not?
Old 02-09-2007, 09:31 PM   #541
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Just a notion......

I have a thought to put this to rest by means of a narrative after this fashion:

Quote:
Here the narrative stops. The author of this tale did not finish it for reasons unbeknownst to this loremaster. Related accounts seem to provide knowledge where this story lacks an ending, and it runs more or less thusly:

Quote:
Linduial suddenly rose and flourished her blade. Sorn saw her and paused in his fight with Scyld, his expression ravenous. He raised his blade to throw it at her. Scyld called for her to duck. But at that very moment, the giant Gurth came up the rise and Scyld set himself to fight two opponents at once. Sorn reached back to begin his throw as Linduial stood transfixed. Scyld yelled her name again. Sorn began his throw. Gurth reached out and caught his arm at the last moment, and Sorn's blade was sent flying off uselessly, and fell to the ground. Sorn screamed at Gurth and charged him. Gurth raised his weapon and clove Sorn from his neck down, even as Sorn's blade found Gurth's oversized heart beneath his ribs. Sorn dropped and never rose again. Gurth sank heavily to his knees, then tipped like a felled tree, and slid down the rough hillside. Linduial and Scyld looked away. Only then did the charging brigade come upon them. Scyld was arrested despite Linduial's protests. By the end of the day, Linduial was safe in Edoras and in the keeping of Queen Lothiriel.
Scholars differ as to the accuracy of this version, but it seems to best fit the story preceding it, and appears to have been written in a hand similar to that which penned the longer version.
An alternative to the above would be to copy this into your own next post and edit it to your liking, discussing as we go, until all writers are satisfied that the necessary points are included, and then story done.

Well, what do you think?
Old 02-10-2007, 06:12 AM   #542
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Jumbled thoughts

I think that something like that is what will need to happen.

I did talk to Jenny a few days ago over IM; she said that she has been really busy and off and on sick, and I didn't get any kind of indication of when she was planning on coming back.

So.

That leaves me in something of a pickle, because much of Scyld's development has hinged on Linduial and I had initially intended that his coming to the Mead Hall would depend somehow on her. That leaves two dilemmas: why would he come to the Hall, and why would he then continue to stay? As for his coming, I think that if he had been arrested he would have, upon release, fled the city to make a new life elsewhere.

So I think that I'm going to go with my original intention that Scyld not be arrested but make his narrow escape between Sorn's and Gurth's deaths and the arrival of the rescuers. (The point ultimately being that he still doesn't trust Linduial - and this is a post that I had really wanted to write... not sure how that would fit in, though... perhaps if I did it as flashback when I brought Scyld to the Mead Hall? That might work best.) That way, when he would come to the Mead Hall, his face would be anonymous, and he could easily assume a new name.

As an asside thought, say Scyld was arrested, what might the punishment be? Or was Linduial right that he would be granted pardon if she pleaded for him? Because I don't want that... it's way too easy.

Also, I believe Jenny made reference in her last post for Linduial in the Mead Hall that Scyld was still a fugitive from the law. (That's the other reason I really want her to come back... I want to know really badly what she has up her sleeve for Linduial.)

The staying is easier. Tara and I have already talked about a possible link between Scyld and Lys, and I could easily use that.

Make sense?
Old 02-11-2007, 04:11 PM   #543
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Firefoot, perhaps what needs to happen is for you to take the raw material of the post I provided above, and write it from Scyld's point of view, including his escape in the nick of time.

Jenny and I had discussed possibilities for Linduial, and what we had worked out was that Linduial was going to come back to Rohan as an ambassador of Dol Amroth and its surrounding territories over which it rules. This would put her in an interesting position vis a vi Eodwine and other Eorls, as well as vis a vi the King and Queen of Rohan. I'm not sure what Tolkien had in place in terms of ambassadorial immunities and whatnot. They would probably not be the kind we have in RL; however, her status as princess and ambassador would give Linduial a unique position in Eorling society and politics.

If you use my raw material, changing it to fit what works best for Scyld's story, maybe you can work in the skeleton of what kind of relationshp Scyld might have with such an ambassador?
Old 02-11-2007, 07:27 PM   #544
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Firefoot,

I do hope you do something good with Skyld. He's an excellent character.

And it would be amazingly interesting if he did come to the Mead Hall and was somehow connected to Lys. That would be crazy and fun. Perhaps the first stir of Lys' memory would return to him! What sort of connection do you suppose it would be? I'd more than excited. Thornden's very closely attached to Lys already and if Skyld came in and somehow upset the boy, I'd be able to have fun with Thornden......

Elempi,

Your idea is good. We would write that last bit much more detailed, would we not? Somehow?

-- Folwren
Old 02-12-2007, 03:47 AM   #545
Taralphiel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quick note...

I'm back. The technical difficulties became much worse before they got better. Hopefully it's all fixed now.

I'm making a post a priority. I'm amining for tomorrow night.

- Tara
Old 02-12-2007, 05:51 AM   #546
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

I'm still around, and ready to post Gurth's part in proceedings - I too had been waiting for Jenny. Don't leave me out...!
Old 02-12-2007, 09:43 AM   #547
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Excellent! Feel free to use the raw material in my post above, and feel free to NOT use it, since you're both willing to write a post.

I think, for the sake of keeping things moving, we can safely assume that Linduial was going to risk her neck in something resembling my guess in that same post. So unless and until we hear otherwise from Jenny, let's just make that assumption as the basis for our own posts; sound reasonable?

This is, by the way, a suggestion. This is not my rpg, it's Jenny's, and I'll help in whatever way I can, including shutting up and leaving well enough alone.
Old 02-12-2007, 05:33 PM   #548
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

*Waits impatiently*

Don't mind me...
Old 02-13-2007, 04:08 AM   #549
Taralphiel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

*gets mind around what's been discussed*

I see no harm in working with what you've mentioned, Elempi. At one end it could mean tweaking with the post, at the other removing it entirely. I'm not tooconcerned about either result.

I'm refining my draft, but I want Anguirel and Fire to get a chance to put things in too. I won't write too much.

It'll be labelled as a proposed post. I really don't want to step on people's toes here. This is Jenny's RPG, like you've said.

- Tara

EDIT: There you go, a rough try at it. I'm thinking I need to tone down the dramatics. But, it IS Sorn. He's all about dramatics. That's why I like writing for him.

Pick it to pieces, everyone. Jenny , have I got it right?

Last edited by Taralphiel; 02-13-2007 at 05:21 AM.
Old 02-13-2007, 10:33 AM   #550
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Nice post, Tara!

I suggest that we can assume that our posts are good enough to be "not proposed". If someone has a complaint, he or she can lodge it here. Right?
Old 02-16-2007, 03:03 PM   #551
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

If I have some time this weekend, I may work up a brief post for Scyld, though I really don't have much to say for him. Ang, I think this would be a good time for Gurth to come to the rescue...
Old 02-20-2007, 02:39 PM   #552
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

I shall be gone for approximately 41 days. I'm hopeful that something will happen with this rpg in the meantime. Maybe it could get finished. Eodwine and his troops could easily be handled in 3rd person from here on, I believe. Take care!
Old 02-21-2007, 04:17 PM   #553
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

Added a plot twist I thought of just now...hope you all like the spot of poetic justice...
Old 02-22-2007, 03:05 AM   #554
Taralphiel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Your post is amazing, Aguirel! Perfect touch, I love it! I wish my reputation wasn't telling me to be more sociable and spread the love around more.

I'm tempted to stall a little longer and wait for Jenny, but I do think this is what she was happy with. I'll write a post soon, and I hope I can lead on that thread of yours and do it some justice, Ang.

- Tara
Old 03-18-2007, 03:48 PM   #555
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Any intentions of continuing or finishing this rpg soon?
Old 03-18-2007, 04:04 PM   #556
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

I have a final post written for Scyld. I had thought it would be better to wait for Sorn and Gurth to actually die first, and then I lost track of time... Should I wait? Or go ahead and post it?
Old 03-19-2007, 03:14 AM   #557
Taralphiel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

*stops dragging her feet* n.n;;;

You'll have my final post soon. I'm almost reluctant to see Sorn off, especially with Jenny not around, but I suppose it can't be avoided.

Please forgive me if I take a while crafting it. I'm not very good at final posts! *giggle*

- Tara

Last edited by Taralphiel; 03-20-2007 at 02:56 AM.
Old 03-19-2007, 01:12 PM   #558
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

And your final post kills off Gurth, so I s'pose my final post is already done...

I'm quite looking forward to seeing the giant die!
Old 04-04-2007, 04:54 PM   #559
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

So here's what I'm thinking...

I'll put up my last post for Scyld, so that the good guys can get on with finding Linduial and we can work this into some kind of conclusion. Whatever needs to happen with Gurth and Sorn can be inserted when those posts are done.

Also - I wouldn't mind feedback on this post, as far as Linduial goes, if something I have her say/do seems out of character.
Old 04-05-2007, 07:21 AM   #560
Taralphiel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Good work, Fire! It looks good to me.

My last post for Sorn is coming along, but I'm not completely satisfied with it. I also have to check some things with others in PMs. But it will be up soon.

- Tara

Last edited by Taralphiel; 04-05-2007 at 07:54 AM.