The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-09-2012, 03:19 PM   #1
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Boots Scrolling Detail Thingie of the Film

Now this is rather special.

Scrolling Thingummy that shows scenes from the film, which you can zoom in on. Lots of interesting detail. And Beorn. And what look to be proper Wargs, not rubbish Hyenas. And the Dwarves in their barrels.

davem found this. I have to say that or he will be cross
Old 07-09-2012, 07:29 PM   #2
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalwendë View Post
Now this is rather special.

Scrolling Thingummy that shows scenes from the film, which you can zoom in on. Lots of interesting detail. And Beorn. And what look to be proper Wargs, not rubbish Hyenas. And the Dwarves in their barrels.

davem found this. I have to say that or he will be cross
Thanks Lal (and davem )

*sigh*

Must they make the dwarves so infernally undwarvish? It's disconcerting. Short beards? Thorin is 200 years too young! Bah!
Old 07-09-2012, 07:43 PM   #3
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
I second that! Thanks davem for finding and Lal for posting this!

I think my favourite scene with the Dwarves is when they're walking up a mountain, but it's still horribly hollywooded by the moon.

In the scene where Bilbo is creeping next to a large pot, what is the creature in the background? Is that one of the trolls? I know that the LOTR-movie trolls looked like that and all, but I imagined Tom, Bert, and Bill to look more intelligent and less grotesque (well they could do more than grunt... they even had conversations!). And what's a barrel to do with a Troll's pockets, anyways?
Old 07-10-2012, 04:51 AM   #4
davem
Illustrious Ulair

Location: In the home of lost causes, and forsaken beliefs, and unpopular names,and impossible loyalties
davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Managed to grab the scroll image as a still via Firefox. Tried to upload the full image as a still in high(ish) definition. You might have to click the full screen option (far right of the four bottom buttons) to make it appear http://zoom.it/30zW Should also be viewable for those who can't view Flash images which I think the EW site uses.
davem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 06:43 AM   #5
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Quote:
whether they should roast them slowly, or mince them fine and boil them, or just sit on them one by one and squash them into jelly
I would say that in order to consider the "mince and boil" option, a large cauldron is a reasonable possibility. Made sense to me.

Dwarves in barrels... open barrels, tis true, but at least, barrels. Thank God PJ didn't change THAT.

Overall I liked the pictures... real wolves; Elrond studying the scroll (nice!); Gollum's lake; Mirkwood. What Bridge is that? Gorgeous shot. Reminds me of something from pre-Moria-- was it in the background of some shot before Moria? Leading up to the Doors, maybe?
Old 07-10-2012, 06:46 AM   #6
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
In the first picture there's a G rune on the door!!! Awesome!!!

...one more thought on the short-bearded dwarves... is it possible they did not shave, but are simply young? That their beards have just started growing? And might that explain also some of the otherwise untenable, er, pursuits that have some of us frowning so? Maybe the rest of the dwarves forgive Kili his crush on Tauriel just because he's still, essentially, a teenager. A young twitling in armor.

Last edited by mark12_30; 07-10-2012 at 06:49 AM.
mark12_30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 09:09 AM   #7
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
I love Bilbo in the tree surrounded by wargs...yes actually looking wolvey, and not hybrid hyena things

It does appear though in that first image Gandalf is holding Glamdring...which would be a very amusing plot hole. But it might just be a later, post-Troll horde image of Gandalf stuck in front of Bag End.

Last edited by Boromir88; 07-10-2012 at 09:19 AM.
Boromir88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 10:11 AM   #8
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Was going to post this yesterday, but the davem/Lal team are definitely fast.

I agree with most what's been said particularly the actually wolvish wargs (and I suppose they can just claim it's the northern breed, so as not to damage continuity).

However, as for the trolls, there's already this from the LOTR films, so I think that they really will have to look like that. They do look more human than the cave troll though, so there's still hope.

Other than that (and obviously the undwarvish Dwarves), I think it looks pretty good. I'm determined to enjoy it. Though what's this Gandalf/Galadriel thing again?
Old 07-10-2012, 01:55 PM   #9
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eönwë View Post
However, as for the trolls, there's already this from the LOTR films, so I think that they really will have to look like that. They do look more human than the cave troll though, so there's still hope.
Where is that from? I don't seem to recall it. Is it from EE?

And, yes, those look a few touches better than the cave-troll.
Old 07-10-2012, 01:57 PM   #10
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55 View Post
Where is that from? I don't seem to recall it. Is it from EE?
You can see the trolls in the background in one of the theatrical scenes (I believe it's sometime after Frodo is stabbed on Weathertop). In the EE, there is a specific mentioning of "Bilbo's trolls" however.
Old 07-11-2012, 03:13 PM   #11
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
The troll on this new pic doesn't look very 'human', it's like a shrunken head that's all slavering jaw on top of a thick neck. It's very creepy, it made me think of the Francis Bacon painting - Three Studies for Figures at the Base of a Crucifixion, all writhing agony and weird teeth. Brrrrr....

Richard Armitage looks utterly cool as Thorin though, I have to say
Old 07-13-2012, 04:44 PM   #12
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Coincidentally, I just came across this.
Old 07-14-2012, 05:35 AM   #13
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eönwë View Post
Coincidentally, I just came across this.
It's a bit odd that the one in the scrolling thingie doesn't look like those. Maybe they have digitally altered the neck or something, but it looks far more creepy than those maquettes.

The Hobbit panel is today at Comic-Con (they've been queueing since 4am apparently), so we should have some more news later, hopefully. Maybe some images or even a bit of footage?

Edit - had to add this pic of someone waiting many hours (I wonder, are they singing: "the queue goes ever on and on...") to see the Hobbit panel at Comic-Con. His t-shirt made me laugh.

Edit - epic fail. It did not work. Oh well, take my word, it was funny. Maybe my failed attempt to post it is funnier though.

Last edited by Lalwendë; 07-14-2012 at 10:46 AM. Reason: Piccy
Lalwendë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 10:01 PM   #14
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

TheGreatElvenWarrior has been trapped in the Barrow!
Open barrels! Now I've seen everything!

There are some incredible details in this film. I am happy to see the more wolf-like wargs, though I always pictured them being white. Did Tolkien describe their colour? I can't actually remember...
Old 07-15-2012, 06:56 AM   #15
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

The one thing I am really excited about is the news that there are Stone Trolls. I just hope the visuals for these are taken from Alan Lee's ideas, as he's so good at making use of the elements in creating his characters.

Also, Radagast on a sledge drawn by giant rabbits. Um... That will either be so bad it's funny or straight out of fairytale.

I like to think they decided to go with lupine wargs over the ugly Hyenas in the wake of Game of Thrones and the Direwolves.