The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-02-2011, 02:47 AM   #1
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
White Tree Laurelin and Telperion

Hi all,

I've given this gardening project some thought now and I'm considering planting two trees in our home garden - one to symbol Laurelin, the other Telperion.

I wanted to ask for your advice concerning real-life trees that resemble the two Trees of Valinor best. Looking forward to your ideas!
Old 07-02-2011, 08:40 AM   #2
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Hm. It's difficult giving RL images to things as chimerical as the two Trees, and I'm hardly an expert on arboreal matters.

Maybe the Cassia for Laurelin, and the Silver Poplar for Telperion.
Old 07-02-2011, 03:32 PM   #3
Galin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Galin is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Galin is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
It's noted that Telperion had white blossoms like a cherry, and that Laurelin had leaves like a beech -- though generally it was also noted to have been 'founded' on the laburnum:

Quote:
On the carbon copy of LQ 2, which otherwise received no emendations, my father added the following note to the word spilth in the last sentence: meant to indicate that Laurelin is 'founded' on the laburnum. 4 'jocund spilth of yellow fire' Francis Thompson — who no doubt got the word from Timon of Athens (his vocabulary was largely derived from Elizabethan English)

Morgoth's Ring
In a note published in The Attack on Weathertop (Return of the Shadow)...

Quote:
'For as it is told the Blessed Realms of the west were illuminated by the Two Trees, Galathilion the Silver Cherry, and Galagloriel that is Golden Rain.'
If that helps any (despite the Elvish names at this point)!

Looking quickly on the web (!) sometimes laburnum = Golden Rain but I'm no expert here; I see Golden Chain on the web as well.
Galin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 06:06 PM   #4
Rumil
Sage & Onions

Rumil has been trapped in the Barrow!
Eye one two tree

Hi Miggy, nice plan,

I guess it depends on the climate and soil in your garden. Silver birch might be one choice, not sure what you'd want for the gold. Check out the height they'll grow to as well!
Old 07-02-2011, 07:47 PM   #5
LadyBrooke
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: The modern day version of Edoras: horses, wind, rolling plains =)
LadyBrooke is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via MSN to LadyBrooke
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galin View Post
It's noted that Telperion had white blossoms like a cherry, and that Laurelin had leaves like a beech -- though generally it was also noted to have been 'founded' on the laburnum:

Looking quickly on the web (!) sometimes laburnum = Golden Rain but I'm no expert here; I see Golden Chain on the web as well.
Well, going off that...there is a Goldenrain tree, also known as Pride of India, Koelreuteria paniculata as well as Laburnum anagyroides. Out of the two, laburnum is the one I would consider more like Laurelion...As a warning though, if you have goats or horses, don't plant it near where they could get them, because it's poisonous to them, as well as humans...

White blossomed cherries...Prunus × yedoensis, aka the Yoshino cherry, are almost pure white most of the year, but turn pinkish white. ...if Tolkien said White blossoms like a cherry, he was most likely referring to this plant, as it was introduced in Europe in 1902. Prunus speciosa, aka the Oshima Cherry, stays white longer, I think...Wheeping Cherries, which I can't find a link for, might have a type with white blossoms as well...have fun, now that I know far more about cherries as relates to Tolkien's works then I ever wanted to...Thanks Galin! Giving me a little morsel of information that sends me off into the depths of my mom's plant books...
Old 07-03-2011, 05:52 AM   #6
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Thank you all for your replies!

I agree, the laburnum does seem to resemble Laurelin very well and it looks nice as well.

As far as Telperion is concerned I read on a German Tolkien wiki that its leaves were dark-green on the top and silver-grey on the bottom. I don't know if this detail matches the poplar or one of the cherry trees. Still some good ideas for this as well!

And no, we don't have any animals around so toxic trees are ok as long as they look good.
Old 07-03-2011, 07:16 AM   #7
Galin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Galin is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Galin is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Well, I should probably add just a bit more detail to: leaves 'like a beech' (a bit vague)...

'The other bore leaves of a young green like the new-opened beech; their edges were of glittering gold. Flowers swung upon her branches in clusters of yellow flame, formed each to a glowing horn that spilled a golden rain upon the ground; and from the blossom of that tree there came forth warmth and a great light.' Silmarillion

Tolkien must have loved the beech I think, considering various references in his works; and its influence, in part, in the mallorn trees as well.
Galin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 06:29 AM   #8
Faramir Jones
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Faramir Jones is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Faramir Jones is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
White Tree This might be of assistance

The Might,

That's a very nice idea. In terms of which trees might be best for Laurelin and Telperion, the Tolkien Society and the Mythopoeic Society paid for two trees to be planted in the University Parks in Oxford in 1992, the centenery of Tolkien's birth. The tree chosen for Telperion was a silver-leafed Maple (on the right) and for Laurelin a False Acacia (on the left):

http://users.ox.ac.uk/~tolksoc/Tolki...two_trees.html
Faramir Jones is offline   Reply With Quote