The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-06-2002, 08:39 PM   #1
Eruialiwen
Haunting Spirit

Eruialiwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Eruialiwen
Question Dragons

All right, all right...I am obviously not all too knowledgeable when it comes to Tolkien, so I thought I'd ask about this subject since I don't know much about this:

What do you know of Dragons? Are they enemies in Middle-Earth? Are there good Dragons? For some reason I'm feeling intensely curious about Dragons tonight, one reason being that they're one of my fave fantasy creatures. Another reason is that I'm writing a fanfic concerning a race of Dragon I made up, and I'd like to know more about Tolkien Dragons. I've only read FotR and am working on TTT, but I saw animated movie of The Hobbit when I was very young and do remember the Dragon that Bilbo killed. Thanks so much if anybody can fill me in on this subject [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 10-07-2002, 12:49 AM   #2
Susan Delgado
The Perished Flame

Susan Delgado has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Susan Delgado Send a message via AIM to Susan Delgado
The Eye

Here's a couple of dragon threads, and information on them can also be found in the Silmarillion.

Here, and here

[ October 07, 2002: Message edited by: Susan Delgado ]
Old 10-07-2002, 11:50 AM   #3
Eruialiwen
Haunting Spirit

Eye

Thanks! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] Those threads were very helpful. Now I need to decide how the dragons in my fanfic are going to fit in with Middle-Earth, as these dragons are the opposite of dragons like Smaug and are small and were bred by Elves in the First Age...hmmmm *wanders off thinking*
Old 10-07-2002, 01:09 PM   #4
Bombadilo
Pile O'Bones

Bombadilo has just left Hobbiton.
Question

Dragons bred by elves? hmmm, sounds interesting, I would like to know how you are going to elaborate on that.
Bombadilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2002, 12:43 AM   #5
Susan Delgado
The Perished Flame

Susan Delgado has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Susan Delgado Send a message via AIM to Susan Delgado
The Eye

I'm glad I could help, and I'd also like to hear how your dragons work out [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-09-2002, 08:25 AM   #6
TolkienGurl
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

TolkienGurl has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to TolkienGurl Send a message via AIM to TolkienGurl
Sting

Well, there are good dragons such as gold bronze, copper, brass, and silver, and bad dragons such as black, blue, green, red (probably Smaug), & white. Now, I'm not sure if that helps because that info was taken from the Dragonlance book series and the 2 D & D Monster Manuals... sigh.
TolkienGurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2002, 10:35 AM   #7
zifnab
Shade of Carn Dûm

zifnab has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The world of Kyrnn has 'nothing' to do with the world of Arda. Dragonlance and D&D(AD&D), was formed/created many decades and/or centuries after the creation of Ancalagon, Smaug, Chrysophylaz, Glaurung, Scatha, Epep, Quetzalcoatl, Gargouille and numerous others.

Grouping Dragons/Wyrms is(In my opinion) stereotypical and is based on what the vast majority of author's and painter's ideas are of that color. Different cultures idea's on things of that sought 'can be' vastly different. The selected author/illustrater of a 'modern' dragon, can use the already laid down guidelines for color meanings, representation and deity actions. But that would not be very creative.
Old 10-09-2002, 03:10 PM   #8
TolkienGurl
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

TolkienGurl has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to TolkienGurl Send a message via AIM to TolkienGurl
Sting

I was not suggesting that Krynn is even worthy of comparison to Arda. I don't know much about Tolkien's Dragons ( [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] ) so I apologize for any misconceptions. [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] geez...
And yes I am well aware of the fact that LOTR, The Hobbit, Silm, etc. are from a different time period than Dragonlance and D & D. I was just giving information that I knew. I wasn't trying to nsult anyone.

Anyway, no hard feelings, right? [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

[ October 09, 2002: Message edited by: TolkienGurl ]
TolkienGurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2002, 06:52 PM   #9
Eruialiwen
Haunting Spirit

Eye

Quote:
Dragons bred by elves? hmmm, sounds interesting, I would like to know how you are going to elaborate on that.

I know, sounds funky, but that's what came into me head [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] It wasn't going to be that big of a story, and the whole thing I'll bet is an insult to Tolkien...LOL...but the history of the White Dragons is something like this:

*They were bred by the Elves in the First Age, although right now as to *why* the Elves did so is a bit fuzzy. It's like how they awoke the trees. They bred these Dragons to combat the evil ones for the most part, and for a reason which I still have no idea of yet...LOL I hate it when stories take control of my mind [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]

*By the time of the Last Alliance of Elves and Men, the White Dragons had completely separated themselves from Elves and had retreated with the terror of Sauron's spreading darkness in them. That was 1,000 years before. The Dragons isolated themselves on Caradhras, where they found they were safe from all. I'm still working on this part [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]

*The Dragons seemed to be forgotten by any who knew of their existence. But there were some Elves who rememebered, or some who were told by those who *did* remember. None of the Dragons remembered, and some returned to their ancient roots, although many still felt the connection to Elves, and vice versa. And then one dragon was compelled to leave Caradhras and seek the Elves.......

anyways, that's basically the idea of it, I hope it works out [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] [img]smilies/redface.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]