The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-21-2003, 10:57 AM   #1
Silmiel of Imladris
Shade of Carn Dûm

Silmiel of Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Silmiel of Imladris
Sting ROTK- Celeborn the Cardboard Cut-Out

I call Celeborn a cardboard cut-out because he had no lines in ROTK he just kind of stands there. A paper stand up could have done his job. Anyway were you guys glad he was in there and do you think he will have a bigger role in the EE? I was happy to see him and I am hoping he will get some lines in EE for I feel that the elves have been a little neglected in this movie. Opinions?

Figwit on his name: Are you suggesting that I have the wit of a fig?
Silmiel of Imladris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2003, 11:12 AM   #2
Lyta_Underhill
Haunted Halfling

Location: an uncounted length of steps--floating between air molecules
Lyta_Underhill has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>I was happy to see him and I am hoping he will get some lines in EE for I feel that the elves have been a little neglected in this movie. Opinions?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I have my doubts that Celeborn will get to utter a favorite line: "May your doom be other than mine, and your treasure remain with you until the end," since Aragorn isn't there and I can't see him saying it to Sam, and since Celeborn stays for many years after Galadriel leaves, I'd call it anachronistic that he is there at the harbor with her. (Of course they didn't really show him getting on the ship...hmmmm...) <P>Cheers!<BR>Lyta
“…she laid herself to rest upon Cerin Amroth; and there is her green grave, until the world is changed, and all the days of her life are utterly forgotten by men that come after, and elanor and niphredil bloom no more east of the Sea.”
Lyta_Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2003, 12:05 PM   #3
Lost One
Haunting Spirit

Lost One has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

In the film, so far as I recall, they definitively call this the last ship, so if Celeborn didn't go, he'd never get to the Undying Lands (a bit worrying where this leaves Legolas!) They are clearly simplifying like mad, and thought it would be unnecessary to elaborate on the longer-term fate of elves in Middle-earth. Leaving him out might well just create needless distracting questions at the end. Anyway, he was probably standing in for his relative Cirdan. I'm not sure I'd put money on him getting any lines in the EE, though. However, I would expect the Grey Havens to be a longer scene, with more about the Three Rings (Gandalf's was clearly visible, although not mentioned).
Lost One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2003, 12:37 PM   #4
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

Lost One, why would he have to stand in for Cirdan, when Cirdan was already there? If you keep your eyes peeled, as they're zooming in on Elrond, Celeborn, and Galadriel, you can see that there's an Elf off to one side with silver hair and dark robes. That is Cirdan.
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2003, 01:49 PM   #5
Luthien_ Tinuviel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Luthien_ Tinuviel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Luthien_ Tinuviel Send a message via MSN to Luthien_ Tinuviel
Sting

I actually hope they don't expand the Grey Havens scene, because I love it the way it is. Maybe some explanation before it, or something, but I think too much talking would ruin the perfect emotional weight of that scene (it got me both times I've seen ROTK). That would mean no more lines for Celeborn, but that doesn't really bother me.

You know what? I love Mip.
Luthien_ Tinuviel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2003, 04:15 PM   #6
doug*platypus
Delver in the Deep

doug*platypus has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Yeah, it was actually nice to see Celeborn there. I've got a much higher opinion of him and the actor who played him since seeing the extended edition of <I>The Fellowship of the Ring</I>. It didn't bother me at all that he had no lines. I was more disgruntled at the fact that no commoner in Minas Tirith has anything to say about this whole new king business. <P>Plus, I don't know why you'd want him butting in and ruining an exceptional scene. It was all about the hobbits and Gandalf, and so it should have been. It would have been nice, however to see a few more elves around. It all looked very desolate.
Old 12-21-2003, 05:07 PM   #7
Silmiel of Imladris
Shade of Carn Dûm

Silmiel of Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Silmiel of Imladris
Sting

What I had hoped for at the end was a voice over by Galadriel explaining what happened to Legolas and Gimil etc. I do hope I see something that explains that Legolas and Gimli sailed away together.

Figwit on his name: Are you suggesting that I have the wit of a fig?
Silmiel of Imladris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2003, 08:00 PM   #8
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Celeborn was there! I personally don't remember seeing him, but I guess that is good. I did see Cirdan, I noticed him almost immediately. Could someone please tell me exactly in what scene Celeborn showed up?<P>And just to add...<BR>Remember I did see the 12 o'clock showing of ROTK, so if he showed up at the end it was after 3. So maybe my eyes where just a tad bit tired. I will be going to another showing soon though and I won't miss him that time.<p>[ 3:52 AM December 22, 2003: Message edited by: Gorwingel ]
Old 12-21-2003, 09:28 PM   #9
doug*platypus
Delver in the Deep

doug*platypus has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

<B>Captain Disobvious. Unobvious? Antiobvious?</B><P>He's actually easier to see than Círdan! A little closer to the camera. Most visible, I think when Elrond steps onto the ship (although I might be wrong). He is standing next to Galadriel.
Old 12-22-2003, 03:27 AM   #10
Everdawn
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: On the sand dunes outside of Ilium, watching it burn.
Everdawn has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Funny you say that, but there was a joke about Celeborn being a Card Board Cut Out in MOVIE BLOOPERS 1 in M-E Myrth. When i can find it ill post it.

~My lord, Éomer~
Everdawn is offline   Reply With Quote