The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-16-2004, 09:09 PM   #1
Saraphim
Shade of Carn Dûm

Saraphim has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Saraphim
The Eye The Insanity of Denethor

I was wondering what you all thought about how Denethor went crazy in the movies as opposed to in the books.

He didn't have the palantir (at least in the theatrical version, which is all I have to work with as of now.) yet he still wanted to kill himself on Faramir's pyre, until he realized that Faramir was indeed alive, but then Shadowfax and Gandalf pushed him into the fire, and he ran over the edge of the conviently-placed drop off.
Do any of you have any thoughts on the subject of how this was implemented?
Saraphim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2004, 10:00 PM   #2
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Well... many of John Noble's lines are straight from the book, and thus, hint at his possession of the palantir. Perhaps in the EE they'll actually show us those flashing lights and such, coming from his tower, so we have more time to watch Denethor's madness fully develop.
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2004, 10:06 PM   #3
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

The Only Real Estel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Hopefully they'll expound a little in the EE, but I still think that perhaps the worst change is to have him (or at least look like) all of a sudden change his mind on the idea of burning, but then having it be to late. Almost as if Gandalf drove him to his death...
The Only Real Estel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2004, 05:12 AM   #4
Kronos
Animated Skeleton

Kronos has just left Hobbiton.
I think that from Denethor’s point of view the lack of the Palantir in the non-EE edition is not really a problem.

We already know that he believes that Rohan will not come.
He knows the extent of Gondor’s forces.
He has seen an army outnumbering theirs 20 times over.
He has one son dead and one dying (as far as he is concerned), his line is broken. In the Middle Ages the family line was all important. To die with no heirs effectively made his life worthless anyway, no-one would follow him.
Gandalf is bringing someone to replace him.

If you add those things together, even without the Palantir, it was enough to send Denethor loopy.
Kronos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2004, 05:14 AM   #5
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

HerenIstarion is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to HerenIstarion
poor poor Denny

And beat him twice on the way, um...

- Would you believe in the love at first sight?
- Yes I'm certain that it happens all the time!
HerenIstarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2004, 05:19 AM   #6
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

HerenIstarion is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to HerenIstarion
cross-posting with Kronos up there. I was referring to the whole Gandalf/Denethor [movie] affair, for the impression was indeed as Gandalf tried to force Denethor to commit suicide

- Would you believe in the love at first sight?
- Yes I'm certain that it happens all the time!
HerenIstarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2004, 08:50 AM   #7
Kransha
Ubiquitous Urulóki

Location: The port of Mars, where Famine, Sword, and Fire, leash'd in like hounds, crouch for employment
Kransha has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Kransha
I realize that PJ did an alright job compensating for the palantir, but having him throw himself off the embrasure of seventh level Minas Tirith was just a handy tool to get rid of an R rating ala self-immolation. It was to slapstick in delivery. Denny's insanity worked, considering all of the trauma PJ piled on him, but I want that palantir back! Plus, without the palantir, I lose my favorite part of the Denethor story; the palantir on his fiery deathbed.

-Aeschylus, Song of the Furies
Kransha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2004, 11:07 AM   #8
Jjudvven
Wight

Jjudvven has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Jjudvven
I really wanted to see the Pyre of Denethor the way it happened in the book. I was rather dissapointed when Denethor jumped off from Minis Tirith. It was as though he had just realized: "Oh whoops, I'm on fire. *doh!*" and then jumped off for some random reason. I thought the description of Denethor on the Pyre after his death was so creepy in the book. I can't believe they didn't have it in the movie. Does anyone know whether there will be anything about the Palantir of Minis Tirith on the EE?
Old 02-17-2004, 01:42 PM   #9
Sapphire_Flame
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sapphire_Flame has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

The hints dropped earlier in the film ("The eyes of the White Tower are not blind" etc) certainly lead me to believe that the palantir will make an appearance in the EE.

Abedithon le,

~*~Aranel~*~
Old 02-17-2004, 08:05 PM   #10
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
I thought the way they had him jump off the cliff was completely unnecessary. I wanted to see it the way it was in the book as well. The solemn scene in the book was replaced in the movie with a scene that made me laugh. To be quite honest, I thought it was stupid - and one of the few things I really disliked in the movie.
Firefoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2004, 02:03 AM   #11
Althern
Animated Skeleton

Location: A twin city divided by a great river... must be Osgiliath
Althern has just left Hobbiton.
When I first saw the snippet of Denethor in TTT EE, and then RoTK, I was quite vexed; it was not what I was expecting at all. After a few more viewings however, I quite enjoy Jackson’s version of the great man of Gondor. Naturally, he is helped by getting some of the best lines from the books, but it is something about how he shoots his cuffs when he sits down, or his patronising smile when receiving Pippen’s pledge, that make him a pleasure to watch, provided of course you don’t confuse him with your own Denethor. (Now my Denethor is quite different: more wizardly than Gandalf, more command in his voice than Saruman, and more nobility sitting on the privvy than Aragorn on his throne.)

With regards to the lack of palantir and his madness, I concur with Kronos: Jackson provided enough reasons for him to go mad without involving the flaming bowling ball. He could see the doom of Gondor well enough from the embrasure. And besides, it brought about one of my favourite lines in the film, one that I will shamelessly steal during the next office fire drill, “Abandon your posts! Flee for your lives!” Hilarious.
Althern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2004, 05:09 AM   #12
Elentári_O_Most_Mighty_1
Shade of Carn Dûm

Elentári_O_Most_Mighty_1 has just left Hobbiton.
I certainly thought he was mad enough...but I felt he was a 2D character. He didn't seem to possess the cunning he had in the book. In the book, he used his grief as a cloak to find out more information from Pippin. He did indeed despair at seeing the might of Sauron's army, but he lit the beacons and gathered his armies. He seemed completely and utterly selfish in the film...he didn't care in the least what happened to his city, they were all going to die as far as he was concerned so he didn't bother to gather his army. He even looked annoyed that the beacon had been lit!!! I found that infuriating, I must admit.
Old 02-19-2004, 10:13 PM   #13
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

Pipe

Quote:
He even looked annoyed that the beacon had been lit!!!
Actually he looked raving mad (angry)! I suppose PJ wanted the chance to give Pippin something good (& dramatic) to do...not that I'm endorsing it of course .
Old 02-21-2004, 09:23 PM   #14
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Palantir-Green

I wonder if one reason for excluding Denethor's Palantir was because without proper (and screen time consuming) explanation, audiences might have become confused between that Palantir and the Palantir of Orthanc. With all the Denethor-bashing that Gandalf perpetrates, they might have gone away with the impression that Gandalf gave it to him just so as to destabilise him.
Old 02-22-2004, 10:03 AM   #15
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Those evil trickssy wizardssssss!!!!!!

But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2004, 12:07 PM   #16
Failivrin
Wight

Failivrin has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally posted by Jjudvven
I really wanted to see the Pyre of Denethor the way it happened in the book. I was rather dissapointed when Denethor jumped off from Minis Tirith. It was as though he had just realized: "Oh whoops, I'm on fire. *doh!*" and then jumped off for some random reason. I thought the description of Denethor on the Pyre after his death was so creepy in the book. I can't believe they didn't have it in the movie. Does anyone know whether there will be anything about the Palantir of Minis Tirith on the EE?
I thought this too. I really REALLY wanted to see the roof cave in on him and hear that final scream. Instead we got him hurling himself off a cliff...

JN did a good job with the script he was given. I very much liked the way he delivered the line about "I will not bow to this upstart, last of a ragged house long bereft of dignity". However, i didn't like Gandalf's subsequent line about ROTK. it was too obvious that he was just trying to get the title in.
Old 02-22-2004, 01:27 PM   #17
Macphisto
Pile O'Bones

Macphisto has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Macphisto
The Eye

Personally, I think the pyre would have been more dramatic if PJ had just left it as it was in the book. I mean, that is one of my favorite scenes in the book, and it was all right in the movie except for a few things.

1) Shadowfax pushing Denethor into the pyre. I really didn't like that. It gave the impression that there was no hope for Denethor, that he was totally evil, whereas in the book Gandalf tries to get him to come back. I very much prefer that sequence of events; that way it really is suicide. In the movie I, having read the book, couldn't help but think, 'Wait, aren't you even going to try to make him see the light? He's crazy, not evil!'

2) Denethor running off the building. I had such a great mental image from the book of Beregond and Gandalf and Pippin carrying Faramir out and Gandalf telling Denethor to come, and Denethor hesitating, looking at Faramir, then grabbing his palantir and rushing up on the pyre, and the doors slamming shut, and Gandalf watching in despair... I think Pete and I have different interpretations of this, and I like mine better. Denethor conveniently running off a cliff seemed so... melodramatic.

I also really didn't like Denethor's line, "The rule of Gondor is mine." I always thought that Denethor would step down if the King came, he just didn't believe Aragorn really was the King. Thoughts?

Anyhow, those are my complaints. And I don't think the palantir will show up in the EE, though I wish it would. But maybe I'm just pessimistic, as I am a lot.

Oh, I have a question. Remember how there's that guy who looks kind of like Haldir... oh, damn, what is his first line... Oh, he says, "Long has the Lord Denethor forseen this doom," yaddah yaddah yaddah when Faramir and crew come back from Osgiliath. And then he says to Denethor when the soldiers are carrying Faramir's body up to the tree, "They were outnumbered, none survived," or something.

Is that Imrahil? He never showed up again, which I guess is understandable, since Imrahil's such a, well, I don't want to say pointless, but he isn't all that relevant. But do you think that was a nod to the fans? He did look sort of Elvish, as I remember.

And I missed Beregond. I always liked Beregond. But I guess if you can't fit in the Houses of Healing, you certainly can't fit in Beregond. Still, I would have rather watched Beregond and Pippin than Arwen looking pathetic.
Old 02-22-2004, 03:32 PM   #18
Althern
Animated Skeleton

Location: A twin city divided by a great river... must be Osgiliath
Althern has just left Hobbiton.
I have seen more than one site that lists that character (the "long as my Lord Denethor foreseen this doom..." guy) as Beregond, and the actor as Nick Nolte. I don't believe it myself; surely they would have used a random New Zealander for such a part, and at least one site has Nick's name appended with a question mark. Then again, it is on the internet, so it must be true, and yet, wasn't Beregond of ordinary rank, and not such to sport a spiffy cloak?
Althern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2004, 04:43 PM   #19
Macphisto
Pile O'Bones

Macphisto has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Macphisto
Beregond/Imrahil

That's what I thought about the spiffy cloak too. And I figured that all the northern Gondorians have dark hair (except Faramir and Boromir... which is a little weird, but oh well) but he was blonde. I dunno. He did sort of seem to stand out in importance, something Beregond didn't do but Imrahil did. And he did bring Faramir back - Imrahil's part.
Old 02-23-2004, 06:50 PM   #20
SneakyHobbit

Pipe

I would've liked to see Denethor burn on his pyre as well, but that could've been pretty graphic (not that I really care ). It seemed like Gandalf was too against Denethor in the movie, especially with the staff-beatings and pushing him into the flame. An accident perhaps, but it took away the sense of insanity that he had in the books. Personally, it didn't really distract my experience though. I might add it didn't bother many other people's either. When I went to the midnight showing on the 17th, everybody cheered when Gandalf whooped him, and when he jumped off the cliff. Now me, I just started laughing.
Old 02-23-2004, 09:07 PM   #21
Saraphim
Shade of Carn Dûm

The Eye

First of all, I'd like to thank you all for posting on this thread. Secondly I'd like to agree with this:

Quote:
Still, I would have rather watched Beregond and Pippin than Arwen looking pathetic.
The parts with Gondor and its various inhabitants were some of my favorite parts in the book, and I was put out when so much was cut out. I understand time constraints, but most of those Arwen's Dying Because Of The Ring scenes could have stood to be cut down a bit.

I did enjoy John Noble's portrayl as Denny, but he got a bit severe and mean when it came to Faramir (before he was wounded), and I did not enjoy his relationship with Gandalf. The staff-beatings were funny, but they just did not fit Gandalf.
Old 02-24-2004, 06:23 AM   #22
Essex
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Essex has just left Hobbiton.
Estel,
Quote:
but I still think that perhaps the worst change is to have him (or at least look like) all of a sudden change his mind on the idea of burning, but then having it be to late.
I can see what you're saying, but doesn't this (kind of) happen in the book? He does change his mind, but the madness (or pride) takes over again. This seems to occur twice in the Pyre scenes.

Quote:
....Faramir moaned and called on his father in his dream. Denethor started as one waking from a trance, and the flame died in his eyes, and he wept; and he said: 'Do not take my son from me! He calls for me.'
Straight after this Denethor says
Quote:
'He will not wake again,' said Denethor. 'Battle is vain. Why should we wish to live longer? Why should we not go to death side by side?'
and then after Gandalf has scolded him
Quote:
Denethor followed him, and stood trembling, looking with longing on the face of his son. And for a moment, while all were silent and still, watching the Lord in his throes, he wavered.
But finally after this he decides to take his own life.

In a sense, it IS too late for Denethor, inasmuch as the Palantir has driven him mad, and it is too late to turn back.....

I agree with your point on Denethor looking angry when he sees the beacons lit. This is the one thing that bugs me about Jackson's Denethor. It was Denethor himself who had the beacons lit in the book. Why all this show of strife between Gondor and Rohan in the films?

Saraphim,
Quote:
The staff-beatings were funny, but they just did not fit Gandalf.
OK, slightly over the top, but Gandalf DID strike Denethor in the book.
Quote:
But Gandalf sprang up the steps, and the men fell back from him and covered their eyes; for his coming was like the incoming of a white light into a dark place, and he came with great anger. He lifted up his hand, and in the very stroke, the sword of Denethor flew up and left his grasp and fell behind him in the shadows of the house; and Denethor stepped backward before Gandalf as one amazed.
Essex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004, 04:38 PM   #23
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
I didn't see much wrong with the movie's version. John Noble's a good enough actor to pull it off in a dignified manner.

The leap of death was a little off-putting, and I could have done with seeing a Palantir. Although I never dwell on the Palantir's absence whilst watching.
Old 02-25-2004, 05:21 PM   #24
Sirithheruwen
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sirithheruwen has just left Hobbiton.
Denny and the Amazing Leap of Death

very off-putting...very-disappointing...I actually snorted when it showed that, and that was NOT what I did, when I read the book, lets just say that! Very diasappointing...
Old 02-26-2004, 06:02 PM   #25
Saraphim
Shade of Carn Dûm

The Eye

I do remember that, Essex , but doesn't that imply some sort of intrinsic power as opposed to a physical staff-beating?
Old 02-27-2004, 04:06 AM   #26
Essex
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Essex has just left Hobbiton.
Yes it does, but I always enjoy finding lines in the book that Jackson uses as an excuse to add something in. Gandalf's 'striking' of Denethor being one and, for example, a paragraph from TT in that it was stated
Quote:
Out of the darkness arrows whistled. Swiftly a scout rode back and reported that wolf-riders were abroad in the valley, and that a host of Orcs and wild men were hurrying southward from the Fords of Isen and seemed to be making for Helm's Deep.
and so he adds in the whole Warg Rider scene.
Essex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2004, 10:40 PM   #27
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
Eye Denethor

Denethor was a much more noble man then PJ made him out to be. He trully snapped for 10 minutes thats when he talked about burning and ending the line of stewards. Before that he might of well been crazy but didn't show much, "craziness."

Denethor was not afraid of Sauron he was willing to take him on until Denethor "snapped" of course. He was in charge of the defenses of Minas Tirith and was doing the best of his ability as far as the palantir he had every right to look into it. As stupid as it was he had the right to do it.

And in looking in the palantir he had Sauron's secrets and was able to set up a defense. I was astonished seeing how easily the Gondorian men were whacked and killed and how easily the armies got through the walls of Minas Tirith.
Boromir88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 12:10 PM   #28
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

Pipe

Quote:
I can see what you're saying, but doesn't this (kind of) happen in the book? He does change his mind, but the madness (or pride) takes over again. This seems to occur twice in the Pyre scenes.
True, he does change his mind for a split-second, but the movie doesn't give us his ensuing backswing right back to madness, making it seem like he wished he wasn't on fire (sounds kind've strange ).I think it would've been better to go with the 'Denethor grabs torch & ends his own life' idea rather than what PJ installed...
Old 03-20-2004, 05:16 AM   #29
Marileangorifurnimaluim
Eerie Forest Spectre

Marileangorifurnimaluim has just left Hobbiton.
During the RotK, when Denethor leaped off the walls of Minas Tirith, my boyfriend (who's never read the LotR) leaned over and whispered:

"I'll bet that wasn't in the books."

So it was obviously phony. My sense of abiding goodwill for PJ notwithstanding, I don't think anyone thought his jumping off a cliff was believable. I found it discouraging that this complex character was portrayed as a garden-variety villain and a coward.

- Maril
Old 03-21-2004, 11:11 AM   #30
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Silmaril

I was utterly shocked and amazed (and completely convinced that I was seeing things) when Denathor took his swan dive. I saw the movie embarrassingly late in its showing (I didn't see it until mid-February, for various reasons) and I was with my boyfriend on our first date. Needless to say, I figured I already knew everything about the movie (what with friends and family and their infernal need for spoilers), so I spent a rather large amount of time joking with my date instead of paying complete and total attention. Each time a person that was dead or dying was on screen, one of us would whisper "I see dead people." Thus, I was vaguely distracted by the guy behind us saying "Quiet, you're ruining the mood" just when Denathor started going mad.

Since I was laughing so hard (you probably had to be there to understand the humor), When I saw Denny go up in flames, I was like... "That's changed a bit." Then he started running around and took his Flaming Leap of Death, and then I was just confused. I couldn't for the life of me figure out WHY they made such a noble and powerful man fling himself off a cliff while on fire. The books were much more convincing and well-concieved. Then today reading the appendices, I saw that Denathor was extraordinarily alike to Aragorn, and then I started thinking- would Strider fling himself off a cliff? I think not.

Fea
Old 04-07-2004, 05:23 PM   #31
Kitanna
Child of the West

Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Shield

I was almost crying I was laughing so hard when Denethor died in the movie. It was a "What did I just see moment?" I swear that scene came straight out of a Mel Brooks movie. I actually liked how Denethor went in the books, but he seemed a little less crazy, but that scene made my day. I don't see how someone could not laugh after seeing that. Or at least anyone who has read the books. No Palantir, nope nope, just some crazy steward running and fallen off a tower in Minas Tirith. Priceless.