The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 11-12-2006, 12:45 AM   #1
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Tol-in-Gaurhoth XXVI - Úcenite Valto

The Players:

Anguirel
Boromir88
Diamond18
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Estelyn Telcontar
Kath
littlemanpoet
Mithalwen
mormegil
Nogrod
Roa_Aoife
the phantom
The Saucepan Man

The Rules:

Days and Nights will last 24 hours each, with periods beginning and ending at approximately 10:00 PM (EST; GMT-5). Game-related PMs, e-mails, IMs, etc. - except to the moderator - are strictly banned during any part of the game. This includes wolf-to-wolf communication. Ghosts may communicate with each other, of course, but do remember that the Dead may not contact the Living.

There are 13 players. Two are wolves. They are unaware of each other's identities. There are no Gifted villagers.

During the Day period, villagers will publicly communicate suspicions, posit theories, test ideas, and behave in whatever fashion seems best to them. There is no minimum post requirement. However there will be no moderatorial intervention should the villagers choose to lynch a fellow player for quietness. Votes are semi-retractable: they may be revoked only once during each Day period. The second vote is final. All votes should be posted as

++PLAYER NAME

or

--PLAYER NAME.

Edits are strictly forbidden; any edits will result in immediate and unceremonious death: no narration, no warning. No edits. Double, triple, or quadruple post if you feel the need, but resist the urge to edit, even for spelling. All votes must be cast before the given deadline. Any posted after will be ignored by the moderator during tallying; the moderator will specify if a vote has not been counted among others. Do not delete posts. There will be no double-lynching; if a tie occurs, a decision will be made by the moderator with the flip of a coin: heads represents the first choice totalled, tails represents the second.

During the Night period, the two wolves will not communicate. They may not PM each other, as they do not know each other. Each wolf will PM only one choice of kill to the moderator; think carefully before sending a PM, as decisions are final. Should the wolves conveniently agree on a kill, the choice will be upheld without question. Upon disagreement, a decision will be made by the moderator with the flip of a coin: heads represents the first choice received, tails represents the second. Only one toss will occur.

All players must be invisible at all times.

---

Discussion Thread
Old 11-12-2006, 07:50 PM   #2
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
A raven perched above the gate, glaring sullenly at the pounded dirt road, daring the riders to turn, to pause and to look past the shadows of twilight.

It was an entrance that only a tortured soul could so lovingly, so masterfully, produce: a barred gate, its supports painstakingly molded into the intertwining forms of snakes and chains, the twisted handles jeweled with ruby eyes. The dirt of the road extended beyond the high stone walls only as far as the wind could blow it over the time softened stonework of the wide, twisting drive. Dying trees were ornaments of a time long passed, and a small castle crumbling ruins now, overlooked the thorned flowerbeds, the dried out streams, and the murky ponds from the top of a low, overgrown hill.

The raven called to the two travellers and winged away from them, turning its back without concern, leaving them halted, uncertain, at the foot of the hill, looking from each other to the ivy-grown walls and beyond to the ruined towers atop the land.

"We must move on... it will soon be dark." A murmur. The wind had that special quality of lingering, of whispering, and the horses danced.

"Bad luck, that... tomorrow?"

"Yes... we shall together explore in the daylight." A last, lingering, ray of afternoon crowned the ruined castle. A moment later, the building was sillhouetted. A moment later, the travellers were gone.

The next night the Dark Lady waved a hand dismissively, glancing at her newest slaves with unhidden disdain, stroking the ebony head of the bird perched beside her. The room was cold; she sat crowned in silver and onyx and her black robes faded into the shadows. Her hair was long, black, a cape of silken night. Her skin was moonlight and her eyes were jeweled death. Her slaves had only ever met those haunting orbs once; it was enough to break the strongest soul to stare into the abyss. They had not been weak. Now, she reflected, they were powerless. They had suspected nothing... they would learn quickly to regret such oversight.

They had moved on toward the village, the simple village, the thatched, castle village which had once paid tribute to her greatness and her beauty. The people of that village had offered everything and now... they would become nothing.

Scholars and dismal laborers. They shared none of the greatness of their forebears of old. Weak. Helpless. She laughed derisively. Ordinary. And these twain had joined them. They slept amongst them, broke bread with them, and at the very break of dawn, they had unwittingly returned to her.

The raven had been waiting. The gate had been open. They had been afraid. And they had chanced it. They found her in the tower, her eyes ablaze in the morning light, the infinite blackness of them drawing them to her. They had arrived at dawn and they would leave at dawn.

Unhappy fools; her eyes closed, affording her quivering minions a moment's release from the concentrated hatred in her gaze. They have fallen and now shall rise again, stronger than before, strong with the power I have given them, strong with the moonlight and silver and blood and claw, and the blind fools... The blind fools will pay.

Last edited by Feanor of the Peredhil; 11-12-2006 at 08:07 PM.
Feanor of the Peredhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 07:51 PM   #3
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Day One has begun.

Last edited by Feanor of the Peredhil; 11-12-2006 at 10:02 PM.
Feanor of the Peredhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 11:24 PM   #4
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to the phantom
Eye

I have a few things to say. Most of them are obvious, but I'm a loudmouth and feel the need to fill up space.

1) The WWs don't know each other, therefore all votes are meaningless. Everyone will vote the way an innocent would vote, because the only thing anyone knows is who they are, and so everyone will try and preserve their own life.

2) Kills might be meaningful.

3) One of the WWs might kill his/her buddy. I'm thinking there might be a way to very slightly increase the chances of this happening, but the instant I say it the ploy won't work. Which leads me to my next point-

4) THINK before posting anything strategic!! We have very very very few chances to do something good strategically because Fea has done all she can to make it a pure luck-based village. I can think of two somewhat positive strategies to use against the WWs, but the moment I explain them they will no longer be viable. Remember that! Some things are better kept to yourself. Don't tell us "watch for this-and-that WW behavior" because as soon as you say it you can no longer watch for it. Just execute whatever you think of, and cross your fingers and hope that a few other villagers are doing the same. Only talk strategy if it is a strategy that is not hurt when voiced.

5) And most importantly, I am not a Werewolf. You may put me down next to your own name on your proven innocent list.
Old 11-12-2006, 11:39 PM   #5
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
Quote:
5) And most importantly, I am not a Werewolf. You may put me down next to your own name on your proven innocent list~the phantom
That's good enough for me...

Known innocents:
The Phantom

Unknown:
Anguirel
Diamond18
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Estelyn Telcontar
Kath
littlemanpoet
Mithalwen
mormegil
Nogrod
Roa_Aoife
The Saucepan Man

That makes things a lot easer...I say we lynch Roa, I have an unfinished score to settle with her.
Old 11-13-2006, 01:38 AM   #6
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

Anguirel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Very interesting. A selection of extremely loud villagers have been gathered, and are now being rapidly encouraged not to talk.

Well, I could shrug, say "suits me" and go back to my essay on Quixotism, Chivalry and Society, then return in the evening after a certain amount of wine and vote at random. It is tempting. I'm no one special. What difference can I make?

Bah humbug! phantom, I see one element of strategy that can helpfully be talked about.

The kills of the wolves, it seems to me, are rarely going to be unanimous, though a wolf in their right mind might well try their best to pick a target they thought their unknown partner was pursuing. This means there's going to be a frustrated wolf around a lot of the time. Will werewolfs try and put failed kills into action by day through persuasion?

And these rumours that we're being manipulated by some evil Daaaark Laaady. Pah. No ho paura. But it does take Mithalwen out of the running, surely...I don't see a blonde stooping to the employ of a brunette...

Then again...safe not to make assumptions...

Shall we try a day of blind lynch-mob behaviour and see what happens? Boro, I'm happy to lynch Roa if you like...

Remember everyone, we're the strongest village in history. We have no Seer, which gives the wolves, already diminished and confused, nothing to aim at! If you think about it, the cards are all on our side.