The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 11-19-2006, 02:13 PM   #401
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
I would rather look at the Phantom, the Pan man and SIamond... you two are still less suspicious to me .. and if youare both innocent it would be better not for you to tear each other apart ...

Apart from anything else ..I think a wolvish Anguirel might have been keener to dispose of me ..... And I don't think we can assume that the other wolf would have been the wolf's top priority that was Sauce's theory and I shall have another look ..... It still worries me that he was so keen to know the wolves relation to each other .. and if I recall correctly he never feels he has won if he is not alive and so a wolvish sauce would take scant pleasure from the other wolf's victory if he did not survive....

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 03:30 PM   #402
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Current post stats ..

the phantom 71
The Saucepan Man 45
Estelyn Telcontar 44 Nogrod 38
Anguirel 35
Mithalwen 33
Diamond18 31
Roa_Aoife 24
Feanor of the Peredhil 20
littlemanpoet 18
Kath 12
Eomer of the Rohirrim 12
Boromir88 7
mormegil 7

Bêthberry 4

Well at least Ang has fiddled in Rome .. not left the city and watched from a great distance ..oh Kath was Children in Need really that enthralling .. you have posted less than those who have been dead for days ... makes it hard ....

Old 11-19-2006, 03:37 PM   #403
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to the phantom
Eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ang
++FEANOR OF THE PEREDHIL
Heh heh heh... Fea is thrilled, I'm sure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kath
Those who are dying at Night ... morm, lmp and Roa. Is there anything that links them?
The only thing that I can think of is what I said earlier- they're all from my side of the Atlantic. I don't think anyone else commented on that strategy though, so I guess that means it's off the wall.

The only other common thing that I see is that the choices from the last two nights (lmp and Roa) were unusual choices. Both were in line to be lynched, it seems to me. Personally, I would've killed Nogrod last night.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPM
The two most recent kill choices were strange ones. Perhaps this Wolf is one who is trying to give himself more of a challenge by killing off the more suspected villagers and leaving the less suspected ones. The phantom himself stated early on that, given the random nature of this game, he would feel little pride in winning it as a Wolf. Perhaps, therefore, having been selected as a Wolf, he is trying to make it more of a challenge for himself.
Ha ha! I love your line of thought.

You're wrong, but it's amusing.

Honestly, do you think I'd kill lmp and Roa?

You've seen me as a WW in two villages, SPM. When have I ever killed a juicy lynch target? No, no, no... I kill the Seer, and then I kill more peripheral villagers- ones who are a bit quieter, ones who aren't associated with me, and most importantly ones who aren't in line to be lynched.

I always make a logical kill. If everyone shows up in the morning asking "Why them?" then you can bet I didn't do it. It's a fact.

You will notice that in the villages where I was a WW I never once questioned the kills or insisted that I would've done something different.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPM
That and my paranoia finally won out ...

++ the phantom
Paranoia indeed.

So, I guess this vote for me means that you never understood what I was talking about on day one- about why you should trust me?

Oh well. I'll let it go for now. But if I continue to attract votes I suppose I will then feel obligated to explain what I was driving at on Day 1.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mith
There is that other outside possibility that Morm was a wolf and Fea is messing with our heads by picking off unlikely folk at night.
That thought has occured to me several times, but seeing as we have not been dismissed by our master I don't think there's anything to do besides continue lynching.
Quote:
TP' knowingness (is that even a word) still bothers me ...
What "knowingness"? I don't know much at all. If I did then the other WW would be dead by now.

About Nogrod's suspicions of Ang- he speaks truth, in the sense that his points are very valid and his theory is believable. Nogrod also was not surprised by the choice of Roa. He said there were a "bunch of reasons" to kill her. So not only was Nogrod not thrown off by Roa's death, but he seems to have easily formulated believable and logical suspicions to go along with it.

Is it just me, or does this remind anyone of when they were a WW? When I was a WW I always had theories that were pretty darn sound in their logic, for I didn't want to call attention to myself by putting forth bad theories. I crafted them carefully, either for myself or for one of my brother/sister WWs to present the following day. Also, when I was a WW, the kills never surprised me (duh), and I was always able to easily give "bunches of reasons" as to why the person was killed.

I'm completely aware that this is probably just a false alarm and that poor Nog hasn't done anything wrong, but I just have to speak my mind. Nog is making me nervous.

Oh, and nice list, Mith. I think I now know why SPM wants to kill me. He wants to take the lead in posting count.

I won't let it happen Sauce!!
Old 11-19-2006, 03:38 PM   #404
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Eye

Not ever!!
Old 11-19-2006, 03:46 PM   #405
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

I still think that Morm was Eomer's choice while of course the 2 more recent ones are Wolf 2's (or Fea's).

Your knowingness refers to all that stuff on day one ... the Boro understands me stuff.... and declaring Noggin innocent when I voted for him briefly...

Old 11-19-2006, 03:57 PM   #406
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

I have about 10 minutes left ....

I think there is just one vote so far

SpM for TP.

Diamond won't be here and it doesn't look like Kath will be either.

Ang still seems less suspicious to me so I won't vote for him.

The rest of you aaaaaaaargh ...

Old 11-19-2006, 04:01 PM   #407
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

Eye

Quote:
Your knowingness refers to all that stuff on day one ... the Boro understands me stuff.... and declaring Noggin innocent when I voted for him briefly...
Ah.

Regarding Nog, I simply thought that he looked much more innocent than the others at the time. My feeling was strong enough at the time that I felt comfortable leading people away from him.

As far as Boro- well I just trusted him and he trusted me. We've been WWs together and seen each other in a couple other games too, and so every once and a while we can get a pretty good read on each other right off the bat.

Now, naturally he could've fooled me this game and completely faked me out, however I felt that I had a strong enough read on him to go out on a limb and completely trust him, and I figured that if I was wrong then he just did a good job fooling me and deserved to beat me.

That's sort of how I've been treating Ang this game. The last two times he was a WW he set off my alarm on Day 1. I didn't get that feeling from him this game, so I declared him innocent and figured that if I was wrong then he'd make me pay for my mistake and that would be that.
Old 11-19-2006, 04:07 PM   #408
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

Eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kath
Anyway, give me 3/4 hours and I'll return, hopefully with something useful.
That was what- about six hours ago?

Are you there, Kath, or has Beth taken your place?
Old 11-19-2006, 04:07 PM   #409
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

this is impossible...

I could vote Di or Kath for absenteeism .... either could easily be the wolf
Noggin seems slightly disengaged but he has the other game
I sway on the tide between thinking Sauce or you guilty ...
Probably means Ang is duping me once more ....

Time to flip coins.....

Old 11-19-2006, 04:17 PM   #410
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
Still waiting for the final results from Jenny's game...

tp, are you actually saying that coming up with those reasons for killing Roa were something like a feat, now were you? You?
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 04:18 PM   #411
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Coins not obliging..

Old 11-19-2006, 04:22 PM   #412
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

Eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nog
tp, are you actually saying that coming up with those reasons for killing Roa were something like a feat, now were you? You?
You're wanting to know if I complimented you?

Well, I said that your behavior reminds me of when I was a WW, so yes- that is definitely a compliment. Of the highest order.
Quote:
Coins not obliging..
Yes, those cursed little things just never listen to what they're told, do they? You nearly always have to grab them with your hands and physically throw them in order to get them to flip. It's so annoying.
Old 11-19-2006, 04:24 PM   #413
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

I did but they did not distiguish arrgh

Old 11-19-2006, 04:47 PM   #414
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

++Kath

Old 11-19-2006, 04:48 PM   #415
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saucepan Man
Yes, I believe so. We were told of Esty's innocence.
Aye but Fea said that we wouldn't find out who had won until it was down to 2 players, and if she's told us that the final wolf has died in the narration, how would that work?

So, who have we got left:
Anguirel
Diamond18
Kath
Mithalwen
Nogrod
the phantom
The Saucepan Man

Now, I'm going to remove my name because I'm sure of my own innocence (though not too sure since Fea is around ). I'm also going to remove Mith because if she is a wolf she is playing the best game I have ever seen from her. I've played with her Gifted, I know the panicked posts, the extreme defensiveness, I've seen none of it. I will also remove the phantom and Sauce because I just cannot form valid opinions on them until they've died.

Which leaves me with:
Ang
Di
Nogrod

Ang:
Starts off very blasé, going along with Boro and not minding who is lynched, or how. Does argue against phantom and his assertion that we shouldn't talk strategy, and then offers one of his own which indeed the wolves could have picked up on and made sure not to do. Possibly then a way to warn a fellow wolf (I'm assuming here that the wolves, while not a team, were not working at cross-purposes) but I'm not sure he'd be so obvious. Perhaps though, as he then argues with Sauce saying he believes the wolves to be on the same side. Began the 'grudge' idea, and mentioned that he had them against phantom, Boro and me. Of the three only Boro has died so if Ang is a wolf he's playing well with keeping his kills safe. Tries to think who could be a wolf, but comes up with no concrete answers. However, his most likely suspect was actually himself. A possible Fea-esque move here? Declare yourself as a wolf and see what happens? Disagrees with the phantom but thinks him innocent, and defends Esty somewhat.

Di:
Arrives with a bang, claiming grudges against Eomer and Boro, but thinking the phantom is the most likely wolf based on the fact that Fea is modding. Then defends Esty and repeats her grudge against Boro. Comes up with the 'Diamond is innocent' rule which was later leapt on as a sign of wolvishness because she did it before she was even suspected, and I think this is a fair point. It's one thing to defend yourself when you have 3 votes and possibly more coming, but she had nothing. And then she makes a very tongue in cheek comment about Fea not daring to break that rule, at the same time mentioning her tendency not to follow them. Odd that.

Taking too long this way. Ok, I've read through the rest but I won't bore you with it, you know it. Basic conclusions. Ang is having a ball, playing around with the rules and the silliness and the freedom this game brings. Di too actually. But Ang has stuck the odd helpful, serious and contemplative comment in on and off, which has been extremely rare from Di. Funny thing about Di is that, since I agree with Sauce that innocents are more expendable in this game than others and so are less likely to fight for life than a wolf, she does defend herself an awful lot. The innocence rule, trying to get Boro (I think) to take her stats down, mentioning her entertainment value.

With that in mind, and my need for an earlier night:

++ANGUIREL

Di may be taking me for a fool, but it's Ang I feel the danger comes from. He switched very suddenly from joking to serious, whereas Di has been consistent throughout.

Um, so I didn't do Nogrod. It was exhausting enough doing these two with the 11 pages we have so far. If both of us are alive tomorrow and the final wolf hasn't been found I'll look at him. From the skim reading I was doing through his posts I didn't find anything greatly suspicious. In general, if he's coming up with a thousand different solutions every post he tends to be innocent. But then, he knows this too.

Also, on the way through I noticed this from phantom:
Quote:
And while we're on Kath- what's with her vote? She was in danger when she voted and rather than vote for one of the other leaders she threw away her vote on Esty.
Truthfully I wasn't concentrating, I probably hadn't even noticed the vote tally. But even if I had, what did it matter? Like I said I subscribe to Sauce's view that innocents are expendable. Sure, it's better to lynch a wolf, but at least you'd be taking down someone who isn't as helpful as, say, Ang when innocent and seeking wolves.

I won't be back toDay.
Old 11-19-2006, 04:51 PM   #416
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
Uh, I cross-posted with everyone since the last page. And phantom, ok I was a little longer than 4 hours ... so sue me. Or should I say lynch me.
Old 11-19-2006, 04:54 PM   #417
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

Eye

The voting-

SPM for tp
Mith for Kath
Kath for Ang
Old 11-19-2006, 05:06 PM   #418
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
I still tend to regard Spm as an innocent. I know he can be shrewd but there's still an air of frankness around him. Especially after yesterDays last moments.

Mith I haven't have time to go with any detail, but she seems pretty cool by the look of it (I read her posts while looking for Ang), so at least for now I will not suspect her very much.

Di looks also a bit shady right now. She was strongly suspected on the first two Days for being overly-defencive, maybe for a reason, maybe not (I'm not
wholly convinced about the accusations). But the trouble with her I feel is her vagueness.

After hearing that Kath's non-appearance yesterDay was due to RL (which we must always trust at the face value - otherwise there are no games like this) and seeing her posting toDay I'm inclined to ease my suspicions on her, at least somewhat. Still I'm not very confident about her as I've seen her prevail as a sneaky and shady, if reasonable wolf already earlier.

That leaves me Ang and tp.

I need to think about it. I have to wake up early and thence can't hang around too long (1AM right now). This calls for a cigarette. *badhabit*
Old 11-19-2006, 05:12 PM   #419
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

Anguirel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
You missed Ang for Fea, phantom...

Kath accused me of switching from joking to serious. She's slightly mistaken; I switched from serious to joking. Different matter entirely! The question is, dear damosel, do you trust me to wing my way back to seriousness again, as I've said I would?

I must say Kath looks rather as if she's jumping on and exploiting Nogrod's stated suspicions of me, in a similar way as Eomer, the first wolf, jumped on my stated suspicions of Kath. However, as I'm on the receiving end of her vote my mind can't exactly remain unclouded.

the phantom and Kath, then, are my main suspicions, but I won't vote for the phantom as it would encourage a Sauce-tp race, and I won't vote for Kath as that would be naught but squalid self-defence.

Lynch me if you like; in a funny way it would prove the effectiveness of my schemes. I will die, if I am to die, railing against the Dark Lady, for though in sooth I do love her I exhort that we raise up the standard of her destruction!
Old 11-19-2006, 05:16 PM   #420
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

Oh, and I've discovered the true identity of the Dark Lady. This Fea/Laura/Eva Green stuff is a mask...she's actually called Vesper Lynd.
Old 11-19-2006, 05:20 PM   #421
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

Eye

All right. Time for a new List of Doom.

INNOCENT
the phantom

PROBABLY INNOCENT
SPM
Mith

HERE BE WOLVES (wolf, actually)
Ang
Di
Kath
Nogrod

So there it is. I won't be voting for SPM or Mith except to save my life. The only choices I am allowing myself are the last four. But which should I choose???
Old 11-19-2006, 05:24 PM   #422
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anguirel
Kath accused me of switching from joking to serious. She's slightly mistaken; I switched from serious to joking. Different matter entirely! The question is, dear damosel, do you trust me to wing my way back to seriousness again, as I've said I would?

I must say Kath looks rather as if she's jumping on and exploiting Nogrod's stated suspicions of me, in a similar way as Eomer, the first wolf, jumped on my stated suspicions of Kath.
This is a case in point indeed. As I look at it again I can see what you mean. But I think the most important question is not whether you may wing back to being serious again but whether Kath made a bogus suspicion... Your point about Eomer looks reasonable.

tp is just over my resources toDay but I will come back to him toMorrow if I'm still around. Ang I might vote, but I think I will have to revaluate Kath again before it.
Old 11-19-2006, 05:25 PM   #423
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

Eye

The way Ang is acting... it looks so familiar... I know I've seen him like this before.

I just can't recall in which village it was. Help me out, Ang. Where am I remembering this routine from? You've been in too many games.
Old 11-19-2006, 05:30 PM   #424
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

It's hard to judge oneself, but perhaps you should have a look at WWX...the real link being that I enjoyed myself tremendously both there and here, though here I'm having a good deal more success...
Old 11-19-2006, 05:34 PM   #425
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Giving reasons for one's vote from out of thin air is something also an innocent might do when the sleep is pressing on but having an overall tactics of not making anyone to feel bad about you is definitively more wolvish.

++ Anguirel
Old 11-19-2006, 05:35 PM   #426
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

I've found a picture...

...of the Lady Vesperfea in all her darkling glory.
Old 11-19-2006, 05:47 PM   #427
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

Eye

The voting-

Ang for Fea (1)
SPM for tp (1)
Mith for Kath (1)
Kath for Ang (1)
Nog for Ang (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ang
It's hard to judge oneself, but perhaps you should have a look at WWX
I did. I saw a bit of what I was looking for there where you were a Ranger, but also in WW I where you were a wolf.

But really, I'm sort of buying into your carefree attitude. I remember you saying something earlier about how Fea will just kill us all anyway, and your behavior strikes me as someone who has no fear.

Hmm.... this is tough....

All right. I've decided that I don't want to vote for you today, anyway. If you're a WW you're doing well and you're being entertaining, and so I wouldn't mind letting you stick around till tomorrow to see what you would do once you become more serious.

So that leaves me with
Di
Kath
Nogrod

(it seems the absent tactic is a good one, Kath survived yesterday and Di isn't getting attention today)

Oh, and nice pic, Ang. She's not bad, but that obviously isn't Fea. L's prettier.
Old 11-19-2006, 05:48 PM   #428
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Quote:
Originally Posted by the phantom
You're wanting to know if I complimented you?
Oh just remebered this one.

No, I was not asking for a compliment. I was quite frankly astonished at first that you would think coming up with reasons to kill Roa during the night such a hard task. But surely if you'd be someone having evil intentions, then I could see the rationale behind your acted amazement - or should we say downright ready-chewed and fitting propositions of remembrance.
Old 11-19-2006, 06:00 PM   #429
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

Eye

The following won't be here the rest of the Day (as far as I know)-

Di
Kath
Mith
SPM

Which leaves-
Ang
Nog
tp

And if I'm not mistaken, Nog is going to bed now. So really, so far as I am aware, it's just you and I, Ang.

What should I do to save you? A vote for Nog or Di wouldn't do you any good unless you vote too, but even that would only cause a tie. Only a vote for Kath would guarantee your safety (if you vote for her too).

Should I go ahead and do it?
Old 11-19-2006, 06:05 PM   #430
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

Eye

Gah! An errand has come up that will not wait. I must leave immediately. I should be able to make it back in the last hour, but just in case...

++Kath

As it stands I'd much rather vote for Nog but that would be pointless at this stage.
Old 11-19-2006, 06:18 PM   #431
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Quote:
Oh, and nice pic, Ang. She's not bad, but that obviously isn't Fea. L's prettier.
You know that won't help you win, right?
Old 11-19-2006, 06:24 PM   #432
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Diamond18 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Yo.

I just woke up. Well, not "just" as I managed to read through the thread. But, I'm here.

I don't even know if I should vote... I'm most inclined to vote for tp just out of paranoia because he's the most active player and seems to have the game comfortably under control at the moment. If he is the wolf it would be most satisfying to beat him, but I'm not really sure I think he's a wolf. But no one else is giving me anything at the moment. I do my best at werewolf when I've got a suspect I'm pursuing for whatever reason, be it a gut feeling or some hint I noticed in their posting. Or a grudge. At the moment I have none of those things. Maybe I should have stayed in bed....
Old 11-19-2006, 06:28 PM   #433
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Oh, what the heck.

++the phantom

I just can't resist the three way tie.

Not that I really think it's going to last.

Ang for Fea (1)
SPM for tp (1)
Mith for Kath (1)
Kath for Ang (1)
Nog for Ang (2)
tp for Kath (2)
Di for tp (2)

I stole your list and voted for you. I'm so bad.
Old 11-19-2006, 07:17 PM   #434
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
White-Hand

Quote:
Honestly, do you think I'd kill lmp and Roa?
No, I don’t. Indeed, I am still as sure as I can be that you are innocent. The paranoia is still there, but I harnessed it for the purposes of my earlier vote. And the other reasoning was the best that I could come up with at the time. I am surprised that you didn’t lay into it more than you did.

My apologies, old bean, but I was using you as bait for one of those “honey trap” thingummyjigs. Unfortunately, it appears that my target was not tempted to bite.

The target in question being the honey-tongued honey-trapper himself, Anguirel. And I rather think that he spotted my clumsily sprung trap. After all, his reason for not voting for the phantom was so as not to start a TP-SpM race. Which was hardly likely when I had not attracted any votes at the time and a fair few others had. Rather weak reasoning for not switching from a (pointless) vote for the Dark Lady, to one whom he claims to suspect.

You see, when I reviewed the thread earlier, I noticed a few things about our Ang (a few of which have been picked up by other since).

He was dismissive of the phantom’s attempts to insist that strategy was of no avail to us, which might suggest that he had fallen into the phantom’s little trap himself.

He was the most interested of all the villagers in my suggestion that the Wolves were in competition. The only other villager to express any interest (other than as a basis for suspecting me) was Eomer.

As Kath has pointed out, he has indulged in the classic Wolfish ploy of putting forward theories which self-confessedly implicate himself (something, it should be noted, that Eomer did). Not just when setting out his views of whom Fea would be likely to pick as a Wolf (his top picks, as I recall, being himself and Eomer), but also on the whole “grudge” issue. It was he who first raised the possibility that the Wolves might have been chosen on the basis of grudges. And when Kath suggested that we confess our grudges, he pointedly noted that he would not come out well from such a list before agreeing that it might be worth a shot. He also spent a fair amount of time on the first Day itemising the various grudges that he has against the phantom.

Also, as Nogrod has pointed out, this light-hearted approach of his has (if he is a Wolf) served him well as it has diverted suspicion away from him (until toDay, he had hardly been suspected, nor had he attracted any votes). He has also presented himself as an engaging chap, without whom the game would be worse off. Who would wish to vote off such an entertaining asset to our proceedings? And yet, he has also shown himself capable of serious thought and active participation at times. This switching between the light-hearted and the serious has had me concerned for some time. For a while, I was merely frustrated at his fiddling while our village (metaphorically) burnt. But now, I am wondering whether there might be something more sinister to it.

Many of his light-hearted contributions, I might add, have been employed in efforts to delight the Dark Lady, responding as he has to her literary interventions in kind. Might these be attempts to curry favour with his mistress?

And, finally, I noticed that he has done various things which might be seen as testing the water for possible lynch candidates. His vote for the phantom on Day 1 was followed by a number of votes which very nearly saw the phantom felled on the very first Day. He started off the series of events which led to Eomer’s demise (possibly in order to eliminate a rival that he had spotted, possibly simply to rid himself of one who he perceived as a dangerous innocent). On Day 3, he tested to see whether there was any appetite to lynch me, and when there appeared to be little, he switched to Roa instead. Roa was very nearly lynched but, when she was not, she was murdered in the Night instead.

But most of all, he has seemed continually to be testing the water to see whether there might be any prospect of lynching the phantom. Several times during the course of the game, he has indicated that he might consider voting for the phantom (at times jokingly, but this jocular approach might well merely be serving as cover). You see, I think that a Wolfish Anguirel wants to rid himself of his self-confessed nemesis, the phantom, and yet would not stoop so low as to kill him at Night. He wants to see this particular enemy laid low in a fair fight - by getting him lynched. That, in my experience, would be Anguirel all-over.

That’s why I chose the phantom as the bait for my trap. It may seem strange to vote for him when he did not fall into the trap but, as I said, I believe that he managed spot it and skilfully steered clear.

His avoidance of the trap notwithstanding, I still believe him to be our last Wolf.

-- the phantom
++ Anguirel

Note that I typed most of this out before I saw Diamond’s vote for the phantom. It is possible that she is the Wolf who has fallen for the bait, but I am more convinced of Ang’s guilt for now. If I am wrong, she may well bear reconsideration.
The Saucepan Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 07:22 PM   #435
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Silmaril

Updated voting:

Ang for Fea (1)
SPM for tp (1)
Mith for Kath (1)
Kath for Ang (1)
Nog for Ang (2)
tp for Kath (2)
Di for tp (2)
SpM take back tp (1)
SpM for Ang (3)
The Saucepan Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 08:06 PM   #436
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Trap schmap. It just delights me to do things that are terribly wolfish and illogical.

Such as....

- - tp

++Ang

Since there seems little hope of killing tp now.
Old 11-19-2006, 08:37 PM   #437
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

Eye

I'm back.

I'm not sure what to think here. I thought for sure that Ang would respond to those last three posts I made before I left. I even thought it likely that he would tack on his vote to Kath, but he didn't. Is he gone, or is he biding his time?

And SPM and Di, I didn't expect to see you. It's nice to see some other faces around.

Meh- not so much Di, seeing as she voted for me. But I suppose I had it coming from her after I about killed her on Day 1.

(ooh, I just refreshed my window and saw that you changed your vote, thanks thanks)

SPM, I'm relieved that you changed your vote. I kept saying to myself "Surely he doesn't truly honestly think I am the WW", but since you spoke of not returning I was afraid that you really meant what you said.

Your case against Ang is compelling. I told Nogrod earlier that his was as well. And when I asked Ang a bit ago in what other village he acted like he is acting now, he said to check WW X. It seemed like too convenient of an answer to me. He was a Ranger in that village. Surely he wasn't blind to the fact that he also acted off the wall in WW I when he was a WW. Why didn't he mention that one?
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPM
As Kath has pointed out, he has indulged in the classic Wolfish ploy of putting forward theories which self-confessedly implicate himself (something, it should be noted, that Eomer did).
I guess I haven't been reading carefully enough. I missed this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPM
But most of all, he has seemed continually to be testing the water to see whether there might be any prospect of lynching the phantom. Several times during the course of the game, he has indicated that he might consider voting for the phantom (at times jokingly, but this jocular approach might well merely be serving as cover). You see, I think that a Wolfish Anguirel wants to rid himself of his self-confessed nemesis, the phantom, and yet would not stoop so low as to kill him at Night. He wants to see this particular enemy laid low in a fair fight - by getting him lynched. That, in my experience, would be Anguirel all-over.
I do agree with that point. And I would say that is also speaks to his guilt that he hasn't come after me full bore, but has rather been "testing the waters" as you said. Since I've been placing him on my very very innocent list up till today, I don't think he saw it as being worth the risk of going after me completely, and certainly not worth it to kill me in the night. Why put yourself at risk to kill someone who is going along with you? Just keep me around and keep pointing a finger or two at me and be prepared to lynch me if the occasion arises. I can see that.

But at the same time, I'm not as confident about lynching Ang as I was about lynching Eomer.

This might sound stupid, but I'm trying to figure out if my desire to keep Ang alive is based on logic, or partially on emotion because of his rotten luck with me over the years. It's like I feel that I owe it to him, to save him for once rather than kill him.

Maybe I should want him to be lynched just to be rid of the complication and clear my head? *sigh* I suppose he is one of my suspects and is not one of the individuals on my innocent list, so I guess my refusal to lynch him doesn't make much sense.

Ah, but as I count up the votes I see that the matter is pretty well settled.

I suppose I should tack on my Ang vote and make it final.

Bleh. I agree logically with everything that's been said about him, but I'll just feel so terrible if we're wrong and I kill him yet again.
Old 11-19-2006, 08:43 PM   #438
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

I don't think that SpM, Mith, Kath, or even Nogrod are the wolf. That leaves Tp and Ang, and I wouldn't be surprised about them either way -- wolf or innocent. However, SpM's analysis does make me feel like Ang is the more logical choice. But then, SpM is good at that.
Old 11-19-2006, 08:49 PM   #439
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

Eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by me
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fea
You know that won't help you win, right?
Maybe not, but I bet it made you smile.
Old 11-19-2006, 08:56 PM   #440
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

Eye

Okay, let's put this out of reach. I don't really want to see a coin flip.

--Kath
++Ang