The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > The Barrow-Downs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-06-2008, 10:40 PM   #1
Peregrin Took
Animated Skeleton

Peregrin Took has just left Hobbiton.
Typo

Hey admins!

I just wanted to bring to your attention a typo I spotted under the link to "The Movies" forum.

It reads "Come talk about the all the movies of the Lord of the Rings, even those animated ones."

Just letting you know!
Peregrin Took is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 12:22 AM   #2
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Shield

Has that ... always been there?

Or is this a result of the machinations of those evil hackers from Brinniel's Werewolf game?
Old 07-07-2008, 12:54 AM   #3
Nilpaurion Felagund
Scion of The Faithful

Location: The brink, where hope and despair are akin. [The Philippines]
Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Pipe

Now we know what the next main article for The Downer is.
Nilpaurion Felagund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 03:43 PM   #4
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

TheGreatElvenWarrior has been trapped in the Barrow!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eomer of the Rohirrim View Post
Has that ... always been there?
I never noticed that until I read this thread...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilpaurion Felagund View Post
Now we know what the next main article for The Downer is.
That is if Hookbill notices... or the alternative, somebody else writes an article about it... You can't write an article about something if you don't know it exists...
Old 07-15-2008, 09:57 PM   #5
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrin Took View Post
Hey admins!

I just wanted to bring to your attention a typo I spotted under the link to "The Movies" forum.

It reads "Come talk about the all the movies of the Lord of the Rings, even those animated ones."

Just letting you know!
Perhaps there should have been a pair of single quotation marks within the body of the original quote:

"Come talk about the 'all the movies of the Lord of the Rings', even those animated ones."

Then 'all the movies of the Lord of the Rings' becomes a title, and is grammatically acceptable (although still awkward) with the added article. One can make the English language do whatever one likes, in most cases.
Old 07-15-2008, 10:24 PM   #6
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Send a message via AIM to Formendacil Send a message via MSN to Formendacil
But if I may play the canonist once again...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morthoron View Post
Perhaps there should have been a pair of single quotation marks within the body of the original quote:

"Come talk about the 'all the movies of the Lord of the Rings', even those animated ones."

Then 'all the movies of the Lord of the Rings' becomes a title, and is grammatically acceptable (although still awkward) with the added article. One can make the English language do whatever one likes, in most cases.
Author's intent, Master Morthoron, author's intent!

Though it is acceptable, on a grammatical basis, to make such a statement, I do not think the Legendarium of the Barrow-Downs in general will permit such a radical interpretation. We simply do not discuss any work under the title of "All the movies of the Lord of the Rings," at least not in the Movies forum, since that is clearly a poem or an article, and those are more appropriate to either the Books forum or the Barrow-downs forum, depending on author and content.

*cough* I think I should go to bed now...

~A Dead Serious Canonist~
Old 07-15-2008, 11:10 PM   #7
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Formendacil View Post
Author's intent, Master Morthoron, author's intent!

Though it is acceptable, on a grammatical basis, to make such a statement, I do not think the Legendarium of the Barrow-Downs in general will permit such a radical interpretation. We simply do not discuss any work under the title of "All the movies of the Lord of the Rings," at least not in the Movies forum, since that is clearly a poem or an article, and those are more appropriate to either the Books forum or the Barrow-downs forum, depending on author and content.

*cough* I think I should go to bed now...

~A Dead Serious Canonist~
*The Dark Elf shrugs*

It's only a model.
Old 07-15-2008, 11:26 PM   #8
Nilpaurion Felagund
Scion of The Faithful

Location: The brink, where hope and despair are akin. [The Philippines]
Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Pipe

I don't know, Formendaga. 'Dead Serious Canonist' and the grinning Tol-in-Gaurhoth avatar don't go well together . . .

Hmm, they still haven't edited it. Perhaps it means the 'typo' is on purpose?
Nilpaurion Felagund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 12:08 AM   #9
radagastly
Shade of Carn Dűm

radagastly is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Originally Posted by Morthoron:
Quote:

Of course, either way, it's still gramatically incorrect the way it is now. I've also noticed that it hasn't been changed since this thread started. that's twenty days by my count. Maybe it's like that short story that my high school spanish teacher made us read (in spanish, of course.) I don't remember the details, as it's been more than thirty years, but I remember that the action revolved around a love letter that was not punctuated. Each of the three women who received it added their own punctuation to make themselves come out on top. At the end of the story, the author of the love letter punctuated it to show that none of them was good enough for him. Very sexist in execution, but the point was well made, at least for a high-school spanish class. Language skills are important after all.
Old 07-26-2008, 03:25 AM   #10
mormegil
Maundering Mage

mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Thank you. I will make sure the admins notice.
Old 07-29-2008, 08:25 AM   #11
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
OMG... this reminds me of some page I found with StumbleUpon some days ago. The reason why no Downer noticed that is because our brains don't work that way... to notice such a typo I mean.

I remember on that page I saw you had a sentence where you should count the word "of". I was pretty sure of myself and started counting ending up with 3. Actually, there were 6.

So yeah, what we see and what we read often isn't the same thing.
Jstu lkie our aznmaig alibltby to rdea stnecnes eevn wehn wdors are not uesd poprelry.

Somehow only the first and the last letter have to be in the right place...