The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-01-2009, 09:31 PM   #81
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
++Smaug

Excellent and witty repartee with Bilbo. The old Draugr? Not much more than snarling. I'll take acerbic dialogue over growls any day.
Old 02-02-2009, 01:36 AM   #82
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
++Smaug

Witty, Intelligent, powerful. Just a little on the arrogant side.
Old 02-02-2009, 05:36 AM   #83
Andsigil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Andsigil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Well, it seems Fate has given me an omen. Just as I read the latest round, this quote appeared at the top of the webpage:

Quote:
"My armor is like tenfold shields, my teeth are swords,
my claws spears, the shock of my tail a thunderbolt,
my wings a hurricane, and my breath death."
Smaug
So, ++Smaug the Golden it is.
Old 02-02-2009, 07:29 AM   #84
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
++Smaug the Smug

I love his wit and his vanity. So much more personal and interesting than any other dragon by Tolkien (or probably by any other author either).

PS. I seem to belong to a minority since I find dragons nor awesome nor boring, but just plain "nice" or "ok"...
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 07:56 AM   #85
Tuor in Gondolin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Tuor in Gondolin has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via Yahoo to Tuor in Gondolin
Hate to pile on against old Drauglin
but Smaug's acerbic wit gives him the
edge.
+ + Smaug
Old 02-02-2009, 08:43 AM   #86
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
++Smaug

Best dragon ever!
Old 02-02-2009, 09:32 AM   #87
Macalaure
Fading Fëanorion

Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
I can see where this is going.

++Draugluin

Just to spite you people.
Macalaure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 06:10 PM   #88
Tuor in Gondolin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Leaf

Smaug-7
Drauglin-2

Old Man Willow vs. Master of Laketown

In their own ways both were survivors. The Master
not only efficiently ran his town, and was correct in
doubts about the wisdom of riling the status quo
by provoking Smaug, but then made out rather well
with the worm's treasure until the tragic end of this
statesman. Had he survived mayhap his descendants
would have been valued bureaucrats in Eriador and
Rhovannion.

As for Old Man Willow the question is how mobile
(and evil) were he and his followers. Could they have
skittered all the way to Fangorn, in say, 500 years?
Old 02-02-2009, 06:26 PM   #89
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Sting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuor in Gondolin View Post
Had he survived mayhap his descendants
would have been valued bureaucrats in Eriador and
Rhovannion.
Well, who knows whether his descendants actually were not there and living a peaceful or less peaceful life, whatever may have happened to the Master himself.

However, with all due respect to Old Man, I vote the old man.

++Master of Laketown

He was an interesting character. And only recently, I realised he was really the only known open supporter of democracy in Middle-Earth! Now come on, that was a great move from royalistic writer like the Prof. - I can well imagine him making a draft of the Master's character, thinking "He is a negative character... what character traits will I give to him? He will be greedy, cowardish, and... hmm... a democrate!"

Quote:
"King Bard! King Bard!" they shouted; but the Master ground his chattering teeth.
"Girion was lord of Dale, not king of Esgaroth," he said. "In the Laketown we have always elected masters from among the old and wise..."
The impersonation of all evil... fantastic!
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 07:55 PM   #90
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
++Old Man Willow

The Master of Laketown was a conniving and venal bureaucrat (most likely a proto-Republican). There is nothing likeable or endearing in a thieving politician (and really, haven't we had enough of those in our governments currently?).

Old Man Willow, on the other hand, is wonderfully cranky and curmudgeonly, and would quote George Bernard Shaw if he could speak.
Old 02-03-2009, 04:00 AM   #91
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morthoron View Post
The Master of Laketown was a conniving and venal bureaucrat (most likely a proto-Republican). There is nothing likeable or endearing in a thieving politician (and really, haven't we had enough of those in our governments currently?).
Well, but Morth, that's just what is so great about him! He was the primeval politician, the first one, uncorrupted yet by the centuries of politicians existing before him... he was the first, "virgin politician", and it was all up to him, how he chooses to manifest his corrupted ways! I mean to say, there was no set thing for him what should a corrupt politician look like, and he managed to do it all by himself! Isn't it great?
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Old 02-03-2009, 05:21 AM   #92
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
++Old Man Willow

I couldn't vote the Master of Laketown for personal reasons, suffice to say that his youngest son was a jerk.
Old 02-03-2009, 08:00 AM   #93
Tuor in Gondolin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

A difficult choice, and surprisingly, both in
some ways are the most "sympathetic" of
the rogues in this gallery. Old Man Willow
and his chums have been harassed, attacked,
and destroyed for centuries with their patrimony
drastically reduced- more then any by relatives
of the very people going through his forest remnant.

And The Master (related to Dr. Who's
old nemesis? ) while he was the teensiest bit corrupt,
did a good job seeing to the economic and political
health of Laketown (including solid Laketown/elf relations).

So since I'm in a state that is going increasingly blue
I think I'll go for the candidate who (with all his flaws)
is more attuned to vox populi .

+ + The Master Of Laketown

Last edited by Tuor in Gondolin; 02-03-2009 at 12:39 PM.
Tuor in Gondolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 10:36 AM   #94
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
++The Master of Laketown

Old Man Willow just doesn't have enough substance. The Master of Laketown actually talks!

P.S. Why was The Master of Laketown (we have got to abbreviate that name) put in the evil category? Although he was conniving and corrupt, I never considered him to be evil. Speaking of evil, why isn't Thranduil on the list?

Last edited by Groin Redbeard; 02-03-2009 at 10:41 AM.
Groin Redbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 12:05 PM   #95
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groin Redbeard View Post
P.S. Why was The Master of Laketown (we have got to abbreviate that name) put in the evil category??
Well, aside from being a coward, he was a manipulative thief, who stole gold meant for aiding the widows and fatherless shildren of Laketown. But as with all such villains in Middle-earth, Tolkien has him starve to death alone in the wilderness. I am sure he would have a place on the board of Haliburton if he lived today.

Quote:
Speaking of evil, why isn't Thranduil on the list?
One might as well ask why Thorin isn't listed among villains; after all, it was due to his stupid greed that Laketown was destroyed and many people died needlessly. In addition, he nearly caused a war between Dwarves and Elves and Men. Thranduil? he imprisoned the dwarves for trespassing and stirring up the deadly spiders (as was his kingly right), but he didn't abuse them, and he also benvolently aided Bard and the people of Laketown when they most needed it. I don't get your point.
Old 02-03-2009, 12:51 PM   #96
Tuor in Gondolin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Other debatable villains:
Feanor (probably not)
Caranthir and Curunir (probably)
Thingol (probably not...but)
Saeros (very probably)
Old 02-03-2009, 01:41 PM   #97
Andsigil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Well, aside from being a coward, he was a manipulative thief, who stole gold meant for aiding the widows and fatherless shildren of Laketown. But as with all such villains in Middle-earth, Tolkien has him starve to death alone in the wilderness. I am sure he would have a place on the board of Haliburton if he lived today.
Strange... I'd always pictured him more as an ACORN director.

++Master of Laketown for being a slimy, skullduggering poltroon.
Old 02-03-2009, 01:43 PM   #98
Andsigil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Feanor (probably not)
Saeros (very probably)
I would consider Feanor a villain. Nothing can excuse, or atone for, the Kinslaying.
Old 02-03-2009, 02:13 PM   #99
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Quote:
Feanor (probably not)
Saeros (very probably)
Saeros is definitely a negative character, but not sure if I would call him a villain, poor one, he is the most disgusting character ever.
Caranthir and... Curufin, you probably mean? But it's Celegorm and Curufin; Caranthir is the third one. At least the two of them are definitely villains, Caranthir is quite nice (he helps the Men after they are decimated by the Orcs... even though late).

But hey, I would not really make such a trouble out of that. I would not stretch it: we have some list and I suggest we stick to it, even now it's quite enough of them.

And certainly, at least this far, we have been sticking to villains (more or less, let's say the Master of Laketown being on the border, but being still there). With those listed above, we'd be somewhat crossing the border... because then what about Denethor etc...
Old 02-03-2009, 03:17 PM   #100
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Hey Fëanor and his sons are far from evil! ♥

++ Old Man Willow

I've disliked the Master of Laketown even before the RPG that featured his jerk son, whereas the Old Forest is one of my favourite places in Middle-earth. Old Man Willow is a lovely character, and I even managed to include him in the werewolf game I modded.

The atmosphere when he traps the hobbits is ever so wonderful.
Old 02-03-2009, 04:50 PM   #101
Tuor in Gondolin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Originally posted by Legate
Quote:
Sa
Caranthir and... Curufin, you probably mean? But it's Celegorm and Curufin; Caranthir is the third one. At least the two of them are definitely villains, Caranthir is quite nice (he helps the Men after they are decimated by the Orcs... even though late).
Yep. You're quite correct.

Voting at present, 3-3 (but MoL wins so far on tiebreaker).
Old 02-03-2009, 05:14 PM   #102
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
One might as well ask why Thorin isn't listed among villains; after all, it was due to his stupid greed that Laketown was destroyed and many people died needlessly. In addition, he nearly caused a war between Dwarves and Elves and Men.
Typical talk from an elf fan. I have a much different picture on Thranduil, but that is a different topic for another time.

Quote:
Thranduil? he imprisoned the dwarves for trespassing and stirring up the deadly spiders (as was his kingly right)...
Kingly right? Mule fritters! You forget that Thorin was also a King!
Old 02-03-2009, 06:19 PM   #103
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Quote:
Typical talk from an elf fan. I have a much different picture on Thranduil, but that is a different topic for another time.

Kingly right? Mule fritters! You forget that Thorin was also a King!
King? Of what? Actually, Thorin would have been barbequed Naugrim-bites(tm) if it hadn't been for Bard of Dale, Dain of the Iron Hills and Thranduil of Mirkwood (yes, Thranduil, my confused dwarvish dupe). Thorin was literally given his throne back by the blood of Men, Elves, and Dwarves (like Dain's folk, who were not homeless vagrants like Thorin).

As far as your take on Thranduil, your obvious dorf-bias casts a pall over your short-sighted sensibilities. I suggest you reread the book and get back to me when you can come up with a reasonable argument.
Old 02-03-2009, 07:11 PM   #104
Tuor in Gondolin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Master Of Laketown-3
Old Man Willow-3

MoL wins on tiebreaker.

Next: Maeglin vs. The Witch King
Old 02-04-2009, 06:01 AM   #105
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

++The WK

With no question. Okay, I did not want to say it when we were voting about Eöl not to lose support of those who liked his son, but not him, but let's face it: he is as stupid as his father! Actually, he reminds me of teenage Anakin Skywalker...

Whereas WK is so charming, so clever (sometimes), he is a Nazgul (that's the main point. He is cool!), and what more, he is a fallen Númenorean lord!

And he is not afraid of entering the River (Bruinen).

And he fought Glorfindel (and Gandalf (and Éowyn, of course) ).

Oh, and he is the lord of Minas Morgul! Now come on, one of the coolest cities in Middle-Earth? (Forget the weird, even though not that bad by itself, portrayal of it in the movies... I just don't imagine the city like that.)

And, he called the Barrow-Wights to dwell in the Barrow-Downs in the first place! Now come on, isn't that a reason by itself to vote him?
Old 02-04-2009, 06:09 AM   #106
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Funny thing, I would vote for Eol, but I wouldn't vote for Maeglin. At least Eol showed some testicular fortitude in going to Gondolin to get his family back; Maeglin, however, was whiney and weak, and was cowed by Morgoth when Elves such as Fingolfin and Maedhros were not.

++The WiKi
Old 02-04-2009, 09:12 AM   #107
Andsigil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Dante reserved the Second Round of the Ninth Circle of Hell (Antenor) especially for traitors to political entities, such as party, city, or country. Maeglin deserves to be boiled in pitch in some particularly awful spot in Mandos's Halls for betraying Gondolin to Morgoth.

++Witch King because I despise him less.
Old 02-04-2009, 12:01 PM   #108
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
++Maeglin

I suppose I've always had a liking for proud losers.
Old 02-04-2009, 12:18 PM   #109
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

++Maeglin

He's cool.
He's a charming, proud bad boy.

He's not a simple villain or hero.

I pity him.

(And besides, his name is nice and it sounds a bit like the name of someone really cool... )

As for the W-K, his doings in Angmar are cool, the Nazgűl are cool and it would be interesting to know how they were before they became evil (I've always wanted to do an RPG on that topic), but somehow, I don't know, he's just pretty lame. I just don't find him very interesting. (The Nazgűl lose 90% of their scariness after FotR anyway.)

In short, if you put me to choose between an interesting, tragic half-villain and a villain who's simply a villain (or maybe was less so in some distant past of which we're told nothing), my choice is clear.

edit: xed and agreed with Agan
Old 02-04-2009, 12:26 PM   #110
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andsigil View Post
++Witch King because I despise him less.
My sentiments exactly! Sic Semper Tyrannis!

Besides, The Witch King makes up some of the most interesting parts of Middle-earth history ever. The rise of Angmar and the fall of the Northern Kingdom is amazing to read!

++Witch King

EDIT:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lommy
(I've always wanted to do an RPG on that topic)
I heard that!

Last edited by Groin Redbeard; 02-04-2009 at 01:00 PM.
Old 02-04-2009, 12:29 PM   #111
Macalaure
Fading Fëanorion

Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Maeglin is not a simple villain, but merely a poor little boy whose cruel cousin would not marry him because of some feigned "incest" reason.
She would belong in here!

The Witch King, however, is the Witch King. The Witch King! He's the ruddy Witch King people!

The! Witch! King!

++WitchKing

(-- nasty little hobbitses witch nasty little magic swords)
Macalaure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 12:44 PM   #112
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
++The Witch King/Lord of Angmar/Captain of Despair/etc.

Why? Besides the obvious...

1. Because he has so many awesome names/titles for a reason.
2. He had to be killed by a woman (yeah yeah, had something to do with some silly hobbit and his silly Westernesse blade or whatever, too (right?), but meh).
3. He is the only being I truly have reason to be jealous of, as my love is obsessed with the guy.
Durelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 01:28 PM   #113
skip spence
shadow of a doubt

skip spence is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.skip spence is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I love to pile it on the ungrateful son, Maeglin. Dante's got it right, there's nothing worse than a filthy traitor.

++The Witch King
Old 02-04-2009, 01:35 PM   #114
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip spence View Post
I love to pile it on the ungrateful son, Maeglin. Dante's got it right, there's nothing worse than a filthy traitor.
And who says WK didn't betray anyone when he became a ringwraith?
Old 02-04-2009, 01:47 PM   #115
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinlómien View Post
And who says WK didn't betray anyone when he became a ringwraith?
He better would! Otherwise, he does not deserve as much of my vote.

Somebody said here WK is not as great as Nazgul - true, Khamul is for example far better and far more fascinating! He is the coolest, actually, one among the coolest folks in M-E. (Hey, now I just thought, where is Gothmog? I don't mean the balrog... although that could be as well... but the other one, Lieutenant of Morgul... anyway...)

But Maeglin is boring!!!
Old 02-04-2009, 01:48 PM   #116
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc View Post
But Maeglin is boring!!!
Oh, tsk tsk, you're still holding a grudge because your wife had an affair with him.
Old 02-04-2009, 02:05 PM   #117
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Quote:
Oh, tsk tsk, you're still holding a grudge because your wife had an affair with him.
Yes. And I don't understand how that was possible, because Maeglin is boring.
Old 02-04-2009, 02:37 PM   #118
Tuor in Gondolin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

While Maeglin was especially icky, betraying the
"jewel in the crown" elf city to rule over the remnants
of Gondolin with a forced marriage a la Ar-Pharazon/Miriel,
first cousin's marriage is not only fairly common with
royalty (and in Appalachia? ) but I don't think it is
technically incest.
And he is a free agent throughout while tWKoA
is more then not a tool (albeit apparently a willing one,
and in Angmar pretty much a local free agent), so

+ + Maeglin

Last edited by Tuor in Gondolin; 02-04-2009 at 02:40 PM.
Tuor in Gondolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 02:56 PM   #119
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
Quote:
As for the W-K, his doings in Angmar are cool, the Nazgűl are cool and it would be interesting to know how they were before they became evil (I've always wanted to do an RPG on that topic), but somehow, I don't know, he's just pretty lame. I just don't find him very interesting. (The Nazgűl lose 90% of their scariness after FotR anyway.)
Here I must agree with Lommy wholeheartedly.

And then just think about the fact that the Nazgűl were the scariest and most interesting in the FotR but they were also just incompetent losers who couldn't even win a party of a ranger and four hobbits in the middle of nowhere!

So not are they only a bit lame as characters but they are ones Tolkien flip-flopped to no limit. So what does it tell one? They were not actual dramatic characters or persons but just filled a role in the storyline, puppets of the plot and nothing more.

Although I agree with many that it would have been interesting to learn more about their past deeds especially as human kings. But that wish only betrays the problem: they are not full-grown characters.

So therefore:

++ Maeglin

(Who sure is a character!)

And also because of trying to make this a contest and not just a walk-through for the WK.
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 03:25 PM   #120
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogrod View Post
And then just think about the fact that the Nazgűl were the scariest and most interesting in the FotR but they were also just incompetent losers who couldn't even win a party of a ranger and four hobbits in the middle of nowhere!
Well if you want to look at it like that than Maeglin is an egotistical brat who wants what he can't have and breaks so it that nobody can have it. Hmph

The Nazgul as a whole might lose their scariness after tFotR, but certainly not the Witch King. His evil personality is great before and after tFotR. Besides, I think that we can all agree that the Nazgul, for that short period, were terrifying and spectacularly portrayed. The question is: how much did it impress you. For me it was a lot, therefore The Witch King gets my vote.

Last edited by Groin Redbeard; 02-04-2009 at 03:53 PM.