The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-04-2005, 01:02 PM   #41
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saucepan Man
Mind you, it was of little value once Nenya was decommissioned. Celeborn was so unimpressed with the residual value of the land that thought Mirkwood a better proposition and went off to live there.

With Thranduil ...

Er, I think I'd better stop before I go any further with this ...

Eru forbid that I should turn into and estate agent but I think the mallorn would give a certain cachet if a tasteful development were suitably marketed.....

Thranduil and Celeborn were related and did maintain separate establishments.. not sure if that actually improves the situation ..... and I just had a very bad thought about Galadriel and Gimli

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2005, 02:06 PM   #42
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Boots

Um....Mithalwen, you do realise that this whole thread is just an invitation to entertain bad thoughts about Gimli and Galadriel, right?

Old 02-04-2005, 02:30 PM   #43
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eomer of the Rohirrim
Um....Mithalwen, you do realise that this whole thread is just an invitation to entertain bad thoughts about Gimli and Galadriel, right?

Surely you don't mean that there was more to their friendship than a shared appreciation of Dwarvish architecture? *gulp* .....

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2005, 04:11 PM   #44
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

HerenIstarion is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to HerenIstarion
lest we go waaay off topic...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpM
Ah yes. The eternal love triangle: Elf Girl meets Elf Boy. Elf Girl and Elf Boy fall in love. Elf Girl and Elf Boy marry. Elf Girl meets Dwarf. Dwarf becomes infatuated with Elf Girl. Elf Girl and Elf Boy divorce. Elf girl shacks up with Dwarf in Paradise
While certainly entertaining, the common tale lacks one significant event: Eventually, Dwarf dies.

Another eventually:

Eventually, the thread developed into sort of trousers, one leg coming down chivalry/courtship/jeaulosy, and, another, not totally unrelated (as is the wont of any trousers worth wearing) down to 'whether Gimli went West'

So, left leg re:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lush
I guess the thing with Gimli is: he can give a compliment without coming off like a loser and not crossing the boundary into the cheesy or the profane. And Galadriel appeared to be pleased with that.
I think the thing is also with Galadriel. Her ladyship being of the, as Tolkien would put it, wise woman type. Now, as a great 'connoisseur' () (or however you spell the word), let me inform you that such a type can't stand outright flattery, while, at the same time considering indifference towards their person as a personal insult (we are talking extreme cases here, but patalogies are illustrious, after all). But above all, they value cleverness, and, surprisingly enough, sincerity (it's a hard potion to mix up, cleverness and honesty, together). Gimli is showing both at the spot (sarcastic side note: why did they make a clown of him in the movie, I can't get), without leaving boundaries set by the chivalrous code of conduct. He's a real brick there, managing to be humble at the same time

I suppose, that's why, as opposed to arrogant Fëanor (you know the type, I'm giving you a favour asking for your hair, you'd be really famous, people will say, hey, see that gel, she's the one Fëanor himself made a casket for a single hair of!, Gimli has his wish granted.

Right leg re:

Gimli in Valinor? I believe it it must have been poetic exaggeration. Romance oft has one. Lots of one. Really going to really see the really married object of your chivalrous admiration in real life is not a wise move. Better have an item given by the beloved to revive memory, hence, vivid (even if it is just 'a cold picture' for dwarves) memory and a story to tell your grandchildren (if any) by the fire-side on a cold winter night

cheers

- Would you believe in the love at first sight?
- Yes I'm certain that it happens all the time!
HerenIstarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2005, 03:44 AM   #45
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Wise words, certainly, HI, but remember what Gimli himself said?
Quote:
Memory is not what the heart desires. That is only a mirror, be it clear as Kheled-zâram. Or so says the heart of Gimli the Dwarf. Elves may see things otherwise. Indeed I have heard that for them memory is more like to the waking world than to a dream. Not so for Dwarves.
I do very much enjoy your analogy of the trouser legs! Your thoughts on desirable compliments are excellent - apparently you have gained some wisdom yourself from studying a wise woman/Elf!

Esty (who definitely sympathizes with the Dwarf's point-of-view here...)
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote