The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-11-2005, 02:37 PM   #1
Sophia the Thunder Mistress
Scent of Simbelmynė

Sophia the Thunder Mistress has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Sophia the Thunder Mistress
Pipe The Lost Road, the Athrabeth, and the Space Trilogy: Tolkien and Lewis

I am not sure of the authenticity of the story that suggests that Lewis and Tolkien intended to write companion stories about space and time travel: Lewis' becoming the Space Trilogy (space travel) and Tolkien's the never-completed Lost Road (time travel). It seems like I got the idea from a respectable source, though I can't quite find it on second look.

It seems, however, like Tolkien's and Lewis's stories converge more than one would think on first glance. For the first, "Numenore" is referenced numerous times in That Hideous Strength as a place from which wisdom and knowlege come. The connection, which Tolkien intentionally drew, between Numenor and Atlantis is barely referenced at all, Lewis skips directly over it and references Numenor itself. He connects Numenor with the knowledge of Merlin, specifically, and I believe there are hints of Tol Eressea there as well, in the links between the Arthur legends, Avalon, Avallone, and Eressea (another parallel drawn intentionaly by Tolkien and borrowed by Lewis).

For the second, the prophecy of the coming of Eru as an incarnate to Middle-Earth in the Athrabeth seems to echo in the story of Maleldil's coming to Thulcandra told in Perelandra. Both are clearly Christ-pictures, almost allegorical (though I hate to use that word in reference to Tolkien, knowing what fires it can start ). Lewis's is certainly just a "different language" reference to Christ, since his stories are set in "this world, this time" just farther out in the solar system. Tolkien's is a little more difficult to place, as Middle Earth is supposed to be this world, but in a far more legendary sense. For instance, in ME there is no planet Venus--the morning star is Earendil. Makes it thorny to say that the Lost Road and Perelandra are set in the same world, since Perelandra is set on Venus.

I also suspect that the indwelling eldil of the various planets are comparable, and perhaps meant to be compared to, the Valar and Maiar occupying Tolkien's world. The description of their physical forms is interesting, the Eldil cannot be seen in this world, but can be seen by those who know how to look for them as flickers of white or gold light, or sometimes as pillars of light. The Valar when unclothed walk as white flames and are visible on the "other side" as radiant beings.

The question, and maybe one more for research than discussion: did Tolkien know about and endorse or even reciprocate these back and forth references? Or did Lewis act more or less on his own? Or am I simply overanalyzing the links between the two works?

Sophia
The seasons fall like silver swords, the years rush ever onward; and soon I sail, to leave this world, these lands where I have wander'd. O Elbereth! O Queen who dwells beyond the Western Seas, spare me yet a little time 'ere white ships come for me!
Sophia the Thunder Mistress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2005, 04:02 PM   #2
Neurion
Shade of Carn Dūm

Location: Standing amidst the slaughter I have wreaked upon the orcs
Neurion has just left Hobbiton.
White Tree

Interesting. I'd been wondering about the references to "Numenore".

"And a cold voice rang forth from the blade.

Yea, I will drink thy blood, that I may forget the blood of Beleg my master, and of Brandir slain unjustly. I will slay thee swiftly."
Neurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2005, 04:56 PM   #3
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
You might be interested in this past discussion of one of those similarities: Maiar=Eldila? Enjoy!
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2005, 01:44 PM   #4
Findegil
King's Writer

Findegil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
The conversation between Tolkien and Lewis with the result that Lewis began to write space travel-storys and Tolkien time-travel storys (The Notion-Club Pappers was a second attemp on the same motive as the Lost Road) is recorded by Tolkien in his Letters. Tolkien does also say that Lewis heard the name Numenore and Eldalie in a reading by Tolkien to the Inclings and missspelt them (especially Numenore).

Respectfully
Findegil
Findegil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 02:39 PM   #5
Nuranar
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Nuranar has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Nuranar
It's also referenced in the preface to Of This and Other Worlds, although that's not a primary source. Nevertheless, it's a fascinating collection of Lewis essays and, incidentally, my source for the two Lewis quotes that have debuted on my blog recently.

I'll try to edit in more particular information, and possibly more thought, when I get out of the comp sci lab and back home.