Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Roleplaying > Elvenhome
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-18-2003, 05:51 AM   #121
Auriel Haevasawen
Wight

Auriel Haevasawen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Radagast wheezed slightly. He believed it was from keeping up such a stiff pace but would not ask for rest from his companions. He was centuries older than them all it was only to be expected that he might tire as they travel.

They moved quicker on their return journey than ever they had done on the outward one. To begin with, this time they knew their path well and secondly they made a crow route, not tarrying in the Shire and the like. No orcs came upon them, in fact their way was strangely clear of obsticles.

Ahead of him by a few steps Mattius called a halt that they might take a drink and eat a little. They stood in a little glade and nought disturbed them but the occasional knocking of a woodpecker.

Radagast removed his hat and wiped sweat from his brow. Calentoliel whispered intently with Rothalle. The hobbits sat upon the grass and ate as always they did when a rest was afforded them. Mattius paced about the glade, eager to be moving again. He pulled his ancient sword from his belt and swung it about him in practice strokes. A few beams of sunlight that had pierced the dense canopy above twinkled upon the blade. Suddenly he stopped and turned to Radagast.

"Do you think she still lives my good friend?"

"I have no doubt of it dear boy. I suggested upon the Barrows that we might tempt it into the open with our lives. Instead the Beast is cunning and tempts us into his lair with hers," Radagast replied.

"I wish us there and done with him," sighed Mattius.

"I think that time may be close upon us. I have felt unwell for some time now as we have been walking. I thought perhaps it was the speed at which we travelled but even now as I am calm and still I feel intense unease. We will face him soon Mattius, very soon." The old wizard sounded very weary.

Mattius stepped forward and clasped him by the shoulder. "Do not fear or falter Radagast. We will share the burden of facing him, together."
Old 01-18-2003, 12:24 PM   #122
Ithaeliel
Cornus Caliga

Location: Five-hundred-twenty-five thousand, six hundred minutes from here
Ithaeliel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Ithaeliel
Silmaril

Endereth's eyes were red from crying, and they were closed. She lay on the stone, half-dead, for since she had managed to block the wizard's grasp on her sight he had derived his sick pleasure from tormenting her. Her tunic was sliced open in places on her back from the harsh blows of a fiery whip, not unlike the whips of the Valaraukar. The gleaming mailcoat she wore underneath prevented her flesh from being cut, but the impact of it made her skin raw and burned. O Iluvatar, will no one succour me? Now two days have I been in his keeping; and not since before the battle against the Barrow-wights have I had a bite.

As the tireless flame bore down on her again, Ender cried out for despair, but despite her condition a spark of wile came to her. "O Mandos, if thou truly favor me in life that thou would suffer me to see inside thy dwelling, favor me also in death and have mercy: let me go to you! For I fear that I soon shall," she said loudly enough for her tormentor to hear.

The material black beast-- for that was what Ender guessed he was-- stopped in the midst of raising his whip to strike again. "What sayeth thee?"

Ender managed to turn and face him, her eyes still squeezed shut. She echoed her thoughts to him, save that of succour. The dark being had mercy. He lowered his whip. "Then take some of this waybread I have found from your belongings, and eat it quickly!" he spat, tossing a wafer of lembas her way. "I will not suffer thee to die, Endereth of Lothlórien. Thy companions may think so, yet they are unwise: for even now they come for thee, thinking thy life endangered. But then thy magic will be gone with thee to Mandos."

Ender sat up in amazement, the lembas filling her stomach and giving her strength, as she saw five moving figures cross ino the forest. It would soon be over, for better or for worse.
Old 01-18-2003, 04:57 PM   #123
Mattius
Soul of Fire

Mattius has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

"Look yonder friends, surely that is what we seek!" Mattius pointed to a small peak not half a mile away. Above it there was a great black cloud engulfing the area, leaving the ground below it in shadow and darkness.
"Indeed it looks so Mattius," replied Radagast, "and by the sight of it we have only just arrived in the nick of time!" The hobbits looked at each other with anxious faces.
"So what is the plan?" asked Calentoliel. "Are we to use one or more of us as bait, or is it too late for that for it seems that we may be walking into a trap." Mattius and Radagast exchanged looks with Calen and then looked at each other.
"I think we should still use the bait plan, it is our best chance, better I think than seeking the Beast all swords blazing," said Mattius.
"So who is going to be the bait?" asked Rothalle. There were no volunteers but soon the eyes of the elves and Istari looked towards the hobbits.
"Oh great," mumbled Faye as she came to realise what was going to happen.

[ April 13, 2003: Message edited by: Mattius ]
Old 01-25-2003, 11:56 AM   #124
Auriel Haevasawen
Wight

Sting

Radagast smiled down upon her.

"The beast will percieve you an easy prey my child. Your size and innocent aspect he will not be able to resist.

Look ahead and fix your eyes upon the figures atop the slope. Walk steadily forward. I believe Endereth is there, croutched by that tree but my eyes are old and perhaps not as sharp as they should be..."

Mattius interrupted, looking intently up the bank. "Aye, it is Ender, Radagast."

The wizard nodded, "Good, we have him then. We will be no more than a hairsbreadth from you. Go forth my dear." Radagast grasped his staff about halfway down and held it as if a weapon and not something for the old man to lean upon as he walked.

"Why can't Olo go?" Faye snapped. "Why me? It's going to have me flattened in seconds."

For the first time since they met him Radagast looked as if he would lose his temper. "Foolish girl. It is your destiny. Go forth and it will not be merely Endereth's life you save but every one of ours. There is a danger to all Middle Earth in this place. We are lucky we have come upon it while it is but young. If it takes us who knows what power it would weild or what power would be necessary to stop it." There was no mistaking the anger in his voice.

Once more Mattius interupted him. "It's looking this way."

Radagast looked up. The material beast seemed to grow in stature in his position of advantage at the brow of the hill.

"Ender still hasn't risen," said Calentoliel quietly to Mattius. Faye heard her whispered words. This was indeed her moment but she was so, so afraid.

Radagast looked into her eyes and saw her fear. His features and voice softened. "I am sorry I have made you more fearful yet. Perhaps I should go in your stead. The last of the Istari would be a very tempting morsel for him." He squeezed her shoulder and made to leave them.

"No Radagast. I will do it," Faye shouted. "I will face the beast." She pushed past him and began to walk toward the slope. After a few paces she turned back and faced him. "You did mean it when you said you'd all be a hairsbreadth away now didn't you?"
Old 01-28-2003, 08:45 AM   #125
Mattius
Soul of Fire

Sting

Mattius looked on at the gathering storm above them. He was hidden in the trees some twenty-feet from Faye who slowly walked closer and closer to the mountain. He couldn't see them, but Mattius knew Radagast and the others were not far away. He waited for a few minutes and began to worry slightly. Inch by inch he edged his way out into the open thinking he would see Faye or the beast. He saw neither and heard a crack of wood behind him. Fearful he turned around to face the beast of fear.
"Radagast," he whispered, "I need your help..."

[ January 29, 2003: Message edited by: Mattius ]
Old 02-03-2003, 04:41 PM   #126
Auriel Haevasawen
Wight

Sting

"I am here dear boy, do not fear." The old man materialised at his shoulder upon his request.

"Where's Faye?"

"No more than ten paces from the Beast. She seems to have much of its attention."

"Then why do I feel that it looks into my very soul Radagast?"

"Because it does. That is part of what makes it so terrible."

The young elf-man held out his sword in front of him, ready to brandish in defence or attack. The blade quivered for the first time in their journey together. "It pours into my mind Radagast. It fills me with fear."

Radagast grasped his own hand over that of his companion so that they both held Angmar. "It is the opposite. I believe it tries to take your courage, your inner strengh and all that makes you more powerful than it. Do not fear Mattius. It draws upon me too. Breathe deeply and think of us as a united force. This of us as one being. All our company." The breaths of the old wizard were heavy but he was determined not to fail. He had become re-aquianted with his powers as well as the world of men during their journey together. He would not let either slip from his grasp again. "Angmar will bring him down. Hold true to yourself and you will weild him for that purpose." He loosed his grip upon hand and hilt. Pulled himself to his full height and the forest was filled with pale blue light.

Faye screamed ahead. Mattius' head cleared and he found himself able to move once more. The forest was alive with the company rushing forth. Radagast waved arms and staff above his head. The light shone out. He used no incantations. The power came from them all he merely channelled it. Mattius began to run toward the Beast. He looked into his eyes but at that moment they held no sway over him. This was the moment. It was time to take on the Beast.
Old 02-03-2003, 05:07 PM   #127
Mattius
Soul of Fire

Sting

Mattius lifted Angmar to head height and broke into a sprint, screaming violently. His eyes were full of tears but he did not realise it; behind him Radagast watched with nerves and hopefullness. Mattius was half-aware of Faye running to the wizard. The beast rose to its full height and terror, bringing the whole earth to darkness but Mattius headed it not.

"Not today Beast of Morgoth, not any longer! You days of horror are over!" The beast replied with his cold and terrifying voice.

"You are brave but I am much stronger than thee or the pathetic bird lover behind you!" He laughed out loud but now Mattius was almost upon him. The elf stopped just a foot away from his nemises. The beast looked into the eyeballs of his oposer, desperatly seeking his soul within.

"You will find nothing in my eyes oh beast of cowardice, now you will face Angmarth, Blade of Manwe and myself, Firnlord weilder of the Greatest Sword." Mattius smote down swiftly across the shadow's black shoulder and the beast jumped back with the blade slicing the arm. A scream went up filling the area and forced all but Mattius to his knees.

"Now thou see what is to come," shouted Mattius as he jumped for the beast and the battle began.
Old 02-04-2003, 08:38 PM   #128
Ithaeliel
Cornus Caliga

Silmaril

Endereth's strength and will was replenished from the lembas and the sudden appearance of her comrades. Her heart leapt with joy as she heard the scream of the evil beast, and struggling to get up, she looked about. Deprived of her sword, she would have to make do with what nature provided. Ender looked around. Nothing but rocks. She shrugged. "It will have to do," she muttered before picking up a sharp stone and hurling it furiously at her opponent. The beast did not flinch. Ender winced. "No hurt will come by that."

The ranger's mind raced. As she shifted her gaze to the beast, she saw it had dropped its whip. Poising herself on the rock, she waited until the right moment, when Radagast raised his sword for a blow, and then she leapt into the fray, pretending to stumble as she grabbed for the beast's flaming whip.

Raising it high, she gave a shout. "Back to Udűn, foul mage!" she cried in the Quenya tongue before bringing the fire down upon the back of the beast, making a great leap as she did so. "Tyul, mellon nin!" she said to a weakened and fearful Mattius. "If I have lived three days in his shadow, then you are able to show courage in the face of terror. I see him for what he is," she whispered. "He is but a diminished and blackened spirit brought to the form of a human. There is nothing to fear, Mattius Firnlord," she said with a smile.

Then the wielder of the great sword stood his ground, and he brandished Angmarth in the face of the evil that plagued the forests of the Blue Mountains. Endereth continued to slow it with blows from the fiery lash, and the conclusion drew closer. She wondered what it would bring with it.

[ February 06, 2003: Message edited by: Ithaeliel ]
Old 02-09-2003, 11:55 AM   #129
Auriel Haevasawen
Wight

Sting

Radagast strode toward the battling trio. The two of the company against the Beast. Still the topmost point of his staff glowed an ice blue. Faye stood silent and open mouthed at the forest edge. Rothalle was nowhere to be seen, neither was her sister. Radagast did not seek them out. Like Endereth and Mattius his sole focus was the Beast.

"Come Faye, four of us are better than two. Our uniting is what he fears most so let us unite." He placed his hand firmly between her shoulder blades and marched her forth in front of him.

The Beast grasped the end of the whip as Ender lashed out and pulled her toward him. Mattius cut with his blade. He could not risk her becoming hostage once more.

"I am not merely a lover of birds, maggot-breed of Yimir!" Radagast bellowed. "I love all creatures of Middle Earth and in their name we shall strike you down!"

As Mattius slashed with his sword, Radagast jabbed with the end of his staff. The double impact forced him to release the whip and thereby Endereth was freed again.

Faye had picked up a branch long fallen from an ancient tree and driven my the frenzy of her friends joined in the attack upon the Beast.

The creature roared in hate and anger.
Old 02-09-2003, 10:25 PM   #130
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Sting

Calentoliel had planned to strike out at the beast immediately, but instead she found herself crouched down in fear. The beast had brought back memories of pain and death. It had made her head throb once again and wonder why she was here. The beast had frightened Calentoliel so much, she believed she perhaps would have done nothing to help the others if it was not for Olo.

He shook Calentoliel hard, repeating her name over and over.
"We have to do something to help," he told her. "They are losing the battle."
Calentoliel looked up at the hobbit, then at the others to see what he said was true. She looked back at Olo and realized that Rothalle was not near.
The elf stood up and looked around frantic.
"Where is Rothalle?" she asked. "Where is my sister? Has the beast taken her?"
Olo shook his head. "She has disappeared, but the beast does not have her. But Rothalle is not whom we should worry for." The hobbit pointed back at the battle that was taking placing.
"What do we do?" he asked. "How do we help?" Olo burst into tears.
Calentoliel knelt down and looked at the hobbit.
"Don't cry, Olo," she said, wiping away his tears. She hugged him tight, filling the hobbit and herself with a new reassurance. "Stand next to Faye and attack the Black Beast with any weapon you can get a hold of; a knife, rocks, anything. It may not seem like much, but any sort of help makes a difference. But Olo, you must be careful, all right?"
Olo nodded, sniffing. "I will go and I will be careful," he said before leaving Calentoliel to join Faye and the others.

Calentoliel stared at the Black Beast, pushing all her fear and doubts aside. She allowed all her anger and rage to build up inside her, along with her new found confidence. When she thought she could hold it no longer, Calentoliel let out her anger and rage and began to sing.
Old 02-10-2003, 04:55 PM   #131
Mattius
Soul of Fire

Sting

The clouds broke and sunlight streamed through into the forest canopy melting the remaining snow. A great wind rose up and was only quietened by the Song of Calen. Mattius jumped back to look upon her in her glory, arched back with a voice more strong and beautiful than anything heard upon Middle-Earth for an age.

The Beast recoiled, stumbling over and falling on his back from the song and the wind. The hobbits threw large rocks that caught him between the eyes. Radagast beckoned Mattius to continue fighting. He turned around and the Beast was on his feet again but with his hands over his ears screaming in agony.

"The time is close Mattius," he shouted against the wind. "Calentoiel cannot keep him defenceless forever." Mattius nodded his head and looked around.

"But where is Rothalle Radagast? She is a part of this also!" Radagast looked around quickly but steadied himself, brushing his hair from his face.

"We must do this my friend!"

Mattius faced the Beast still paralysed in pain. He gazed at his black bottomless eyes and raised Angmarth to head height, kissing the blade.

"Manwe greatest of all Valar, give me strength to strike down our foe"

So be it Firnlord, you bring honour upon your house...

Mattius sliced down vertically with his sword, cutting a huge piece of the Beast's chest open and black maggots fell from the wound. The scream it gave off was of almost the same magnitude of Calentoliel's Song. But not quite. The Song continued. Radagast stood by Mattius' side and helped give blows to their enemy, smoting him down until he lay on the floor utterly defeated. His eyes looked up to them and then the elf and wizard were aware of something. It was silent. Slowly the silence gave way to the unmistakable sound of laughing, dark and evil laughter it was. The black shadow rose again, now more terrible than ever before. It engulfed the light and all came to darkness.

Mattius and Radagast raised their weapons regardless, they would fight to the bitter end. Without warning a black fire smote them both to their knees in terrible pain unlike any other.

"I fear this may be the end my dear friend," cried Radagast.

"Not quite yet, there is still Rothalle," replied Mattius before he fell on his front as the Beast landed another blow.

Behind them Calentoiel lay still. The hobbits tried to revive her but to no avail. Rothalle walked up behind them.

"Find a place to hide good hobbits. I will take care of my kin." As the hobbits ran off Rothalle picked up her sister and whispered in her ear. Calen awoke but was very weak. She could stand though and did so as Rothalle stood behind her with her hand on her upper back. A white glow encompassed the two of them and immediately Calen's song began again in ernest.

The Beast fell back but managed to pick himself to his feet again. The Song had stopped him before but he was stronger now, much stronger. He could defeat them now. He picked up the unconscious elf and squeezed him, breaking ribs and cutting him deep. Now it was time.

Rothalle poured her energy into Calentoiel. It wasn't enough and she knew it. She searched deep inside herself for more, she knew she could, she had to. It was more difficult than anything she had done before, a greater challenge than she had ever faced. Deep down she found a spark, something small but even the greatest fire begins with a small spark. She concentrated and the sudden rush was like an explosion inside her. She screamed as she began to sing in union with her sister and the Beast heard, it heard every part. The wind was up again, stronger than ever before.

Mattius awoke with a start in pain. The Beast still clung on to him but was walking backwards, screaming and crushing him even harder. Below him he saw a small bent figure with a staff held up chanting a mystical incarnation. He broke his ancient song to speak to Mattius.

"Now is the time, do it Mattius!"

Radagast's magic forced the Beast to loosen his grip on Mattius so that Mattius could grab Angmarth. He raised the blade high, it glowed white. The Beast looked at it in fear that he never thought possible.

"For my all that you have destroyed may your spirit surcome to eternal torture!" With that Angmarth sliced down through the neck of blackness and the Spirit of Fear was destroyed and never returned to Middle-Earth nor any of its tales.

Mattius crashed down onto the hard floor with Angmarth laying beside him as the wind died down.
Old 02-10-2003, 10:11 PM   #132
Ithaeliel
Cornus Caliga

Silmaril

It was in this moment, when Mattius slew the master of terror, that the world seemed to quiet. Not one of them spoke, there was no echo of wind across the mountains or the forest. Mattius lay breathless beside his sword, whose light, away from the heat of battle, was now diminishing. Looking at each of her companions, Ender saw the veil of fear and darkness lift from their eyes, and they saw. Even Calentoliel, who had fainted from the effort taken to produce her terrible song, seemed more at peace in her unconsciousness. Endereth's voice broke the deathlike silence.

"Our enemy is vanquished," she said, her voice breaking, "but it is what follows the fall of a mountain that I fear..." As she trailed off, her eyes turned westward. Yea, those slain by the wretched thing were not released from their bondage. All in the great halls of Mandos were quiet, their vision fixed east, where the battle had just ended. Ender saw in their faces that the war was not over.

Smiling, she shook her head. The war would never be over, not as long as there was a reason for rangers and warriors to be in existance in Arda. It would last through all three themes of Eru, until the seas drowned out the earth and the mountains crumbled into dust. There would always be fear in the world, but this company had helped to lessen it. Their names would go into history. They had destroyed the fear of the Blue Mountains.

[ February 16, 2003: Message edited by: Ithaeliel ]
Old 02-13-2003, 03:50 PM   #133
Mattius
Soul of Fire

Sting

The two hobbits bade farewell to their companions and began the day journey back to the Shire. Faye had thought that she wanted an adventure but she had been wrong, once involved all she wanted was out.

Calentoliel and her sister Rothalle put their first steps into action on their long journey south. They strolled hand in hand and there was no way that there would be silence on their travels for the two sisters had much to catch up on.

Endereth stood on the highest mount on the mountains, a sillouette against the cloudy sky. She stood still and gazed west across the sea, longing in her soul more than ever to journey there but she knew that for the present her time was on middle-earth as a Ranger of great respect.

Radagast supported Mattius as they both limped away from the scene of battle. Angmarth had turned back into the ordinary sword that it once was. However Radagast still believed that some of Manwe was left in the blade.

Now that it is over Radagast," Mattius spoke, "I have a few questions for you that my piers could not answer in Lorien but I believe you as an Istari may have greater knowledge."

"Ask away and I will answer as well as I can!"

"Balrogs Radagast- do they have wings?"

"Well, erm, I don't really..."

"And old Tom Bombadil, what exactly is he?"

"You see, erm, the thing with that is, erm..."

"And female dwarves, do they actually have beards?"

"Ah, that one I can answer my dear boy..."

As Radagast's voice stretched out of recognition the sun appeared from the grey clouds and cut the gloom. Under the melting snow the first flowers of Spring began to flourish. The winter was over.

[ February 13, 2003: Message edited by: Mattius ]
Old 02-13-2003, 05:11 PM   #134
Ithaeliel
Cornus Caliga

Silmaril

Her blue eyes turned wistfully away from the sea, and already far away, the ranger of Lorien saw a wizard and his apprentice wandering from the barren Blue Mountains, toward better things, she was sure. Ender gazed long upon them, until finally, slowly, she lifted her hand, palm outward, bidding Radagast and Mattius farewell in the way of her people. "Until we meet again, my friends," she whispered. She knew somehow they would hear her.

Then Endereth Naurelyr began the long journey on foot back to her home in Lorien. There she would rest awhile, for she was wearied with the toil of her travels and the battle and still grieving the loss of the other rangers. Within a few days she saw golden-leafed trees shining from afar. Coming over the crest of a hill, Endereth saw the glistening banks of Nimrodel, and she fell to her knees in relief. She was home, away from fear or doubt, and she and the others would have no more adventures for now.

[ February 15, 2003: Message edited by: Ithaeliel ]
Old 04-13-2003, 02:22 PM   #135
Mattius
Soul of Fire

Sting

Here ends the first part of the NEW STORY WITH A REAL FEEL OF MIDDLE-EARTH-The Blue Mountains. The second part is called THE THREAT OF THE TREES since the events recounted in it are dominated by the dangers of Fangorn Forest; it tells of the deeds and perils of Radagast the Brown, Mattius Firnlord, Endereth, Calentoliel and more adventurers in helping to restore peace to Isengard.