The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Quiz Room
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-18-2004, 04:03 AM   #321
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril

Which two women were responsible for getting Tolkien to finish writing The Hobbit in order to have it published?
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2004, 10:39 AM   #322
Lindir
Haunting Spirit

Lindir has just left Hobbiton.
Was it Mrs. Tolkien and Mrs. Unwin? Oh, I dunno
Come not between the Nazgul and his prey!Or he will not slay thee in thy turn.He will bear thee away to the houses of lamentation, beyond all darkness, where thy flesh shall be devoured, and thy shrivelled mind be left naked to the Lidless Eye.
Lindir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2004, 12:01 PM   #323
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril

Nice guess, Lindir, but it doesn't appear that those two ladies had that profound an effect on their respective husbands! I'm sorry, but finding this answer will take some researching in the biography.
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Old 06-19-2004, 05:50 AM   #324
The Squatter of Amon Rûdh
Spectre of Decay

The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Send a message via AIM to The Squatter of Amon Rûdh
Pipe Prosaic muses of the Shire

Elaine Griffiths, a friend and former pupil of Tolkien's and Susan Dagnall from the staff of George Allen and Unwin.
Old 06-19-2004, 06:27 AM   #325
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

Right, Squatter, and we should be very thankful that they were friends, had the right connections, and were interested in Tolkien's story!
Old 06-19-2004, 08:20 AM   #326
Spectre of Decay

The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
1420! The Professorial Iconoclast

Which item of statuary did Tolkien often employ as a hat stand?
Old 06-23-2004, 01:50 PM   #327
Son of Númenor
A Shade of Westernesse

Son of Númenor has just left Hobbiton.
Fedoras by Michelangelo

I'm going to take a shot in the dark and say that Professor Tolkien was wont to hang his cap on a replica of the Statue of David.
"This miserable drizzling afternoon I have been reading up old military lecture-notes again:- and getting bored with them after an hour and a half. I have done some touches to my nonsense fairy language - to its improvement."
Son of Númenor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 03:11 PM   #328
Spectre of Decay

Pipe Nice thought, but no

Good guess, but you want someone less biblical. The statue's in a place where Tolkien often had business.
Old 06-27-2004, 07:00 AM   #329
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

I remember reading this tidbit, but haven't located it in the chapters of the biography that I've paged through. It seems to me that it was in a library, at one of the colleges. Can you give a clue that will help narrow down the search a bit?
Old 06-27-2004, 02:37 PM   #330
Spectre of Decay

Pipe A clue

This concerns the placement of Tolkien's own bust.
Old 06-28-2004, 02:22 AM   #331
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

Ah, I finally found it, in Letter 288 - JRRT hung his hat on the Tsar of Russia's bust! I wonder if his own, in the Oxford English Faculty Library, is used similarly today?!
Old 06-28-2004, 03:02 AM   #332
Spectre of Decay

Pipe That's the one

Hardly anyone wears hats any more, so probably not. Maybe one day I'll do it, in revenge for the Czar's dignity.

Your turn, Estelyn.
Old 06-30-2004, 12:47 AM   #333
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

In which seaside town did the Tolkien family spend a holiday that inspired one of his children's stories?
Old 06-30-2004, 02:41 AM   #334
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Eye I'm guessing ...

... but was it the charming resort of Sidmouth?
Old 06-30-2004, 03:29 AM   #335
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

Nice guess, Saucy, but unfortunately not the correct answer...
Old 06-30-2004, 03:32 AM   #336
Mariska Greenleaf
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Mariska Greenleaf has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Was it the seaside town of Filey then?
Old 06-30-2004, 03:35 AM   #337
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

That's the one, Mariska! Family events there prompted him to invent the story of Roverandom.
Old 06-30-2004, 03:54 AM   #338
Mariska Greenleaf
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Tolkien

Edith had to sacrifice a lot to be Tolkien's wife, and life wasn't always that easy for her.
What did Tolkien call her, and how was she called by the wives of other Oxford professors?
Old 07-07-2004, 11:28 PM   #339
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

Ronald Tolkien called Edith "little one". I could not find a particular nickname that the Oxford wives gave her, though Carpenter's biography does mention that they said that "Mr Tolkien's wife did not call". That refers to the custom of calling = visiting each other, with the leaving of cards in expectation of a return visit.
Old 07-08-2004, 01:12 AM   #340
Mariska Greenleaf
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Thumbs up

That was exactly what I was thinking of. Your turn, Estelyn!
Old 07-08-2004, 11:49 AM   #341
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril Next question

Which of Tolkien's children was born while he was away during WWI?
Old 07-12-2004, 12:04 PM   #342
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Boots

That would be Tolkien's eldest child, John, born November 1917 and who now rests in the Wolvercote cemetary near JRR and Edith, if I am remembering correctly Squatter's Easter report of his second visit to the cemetary.
Old 07-12-2004, 03:32 PM   #343
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

Correct, Bêthberry! Next one's yours...
Old 07-13-2004, 09:57 AM   #344
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Boots Charge of the fright brigade

*catches the ball and throws it out again*

We are all aware of how much Tolkien loved language. Names were particularly important to him, not only their derivation but the giving of names as well.

What name did Tolkien give to his first car? And how did he drive it?
Old 07-13-2004, 01:01 PM   #345
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

Fordim Hedgethistle has been trapped in the Barrow!
Quote:
What name did Tolkien give to his first car?
Bob?

Quote:
And how did he drive it?
While wearing a false moustache?

(I don't think I'm going to be very good at this game. . .)
Fordim Hedgethistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2004, 02:20 PM   #346
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Boots

"Bob" is a very fine name, Fordim, one that I particuarly like, but unfortunately--or fortunately, as the case may be--Tolkien did not share my enthusiasm for Bob.

And, no, Tolkien was not given to imitating Hercule Poirot.

Nevertheless, welcome to the thread, Fordim!

*throws the ball out again.*
Old 07-14-2004, 01:09 AM   #347
Mariska Greenleaf
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Tolkien

Tolkien named the car "Jo", because of the first two signs on the license plate.
But how did he drove it??? Maybe with great care? Wearing a Panama hat? While smoking his pipe? I'm clueless on that one...
Old 07-14-2004, 10:14 AM   #348
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Boots

Yes indeed the ignoble beast was named 'Jo.' And that being the main question, why, I shall answer the rest myself, seeing as Squatter is not here to fulminate upon vehicles of the combustible engine kind.

Carpenter claimed that 'Jo' knocked down part of a dry-stone wall on a trip to visit Hilary Tolkien. Edith apparently refused to ride in Jo after that.

But the report I found the most illuminating was Carpenter's claim that, in order to make his way through busy main streets and onto side streets in Oxford, Tolkien would plough into the intersection crying heroicly to Jo, "Charge 'em and they scatter!"

Rather Rohirric of him, don't you think? Oxfordians should perhaps be thankful he decided to give up ownership of automobiles.

The driver's seat is now yours, Mariska Greenleaf.
Old 07-15-2004, 02:28 AM   #349
Mariska Greenleaf
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Tolkien

Thank you, BB!

What title did Tolkien himself prefer instead of "The return of the King", which according to him, gave it all away?
Old 07-15-2004, 06:05 AM   #350
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

He preferred 'The War of the Ring' - I would agree that it would have been better.
Old 07-16-2004, 02:25 AM   #351
Mariska Greenleaf
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Thumbs up

So do I. The floor is yours, Estelyn!
Old 07-18-2004, 10:31 AM   #352
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

Which dialect of Middle English was Tolkien's specialty in his linguistic studies?
Old 07-18-2004, 10:58 AM   #353
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

I believe it was the West Midland dialect of Middle English, Estelyn.
Bêthberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2004, 11:20 AM   #354
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

Absolutely correct, Ms. Bêthberry! Your turn...
Old 07-19-2004, 08:30 AM   #355
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Boots A 'gory story by any meaure

We likely are all aware of Tolkien's adamant denial in the Forward that LotR is an allegory. Yet, yet, in a draft of an undated letter, Tolkien does say what LotR is an allegory of.

What is that?
Old 07-19-2004, 08:59 AM   #356
Mariska Greenleaf
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Tolkien

I believe Tolkien thought of it more as an allegory of the human race, saying:

Quote:
.I’ve always been impressed that we’re here surviving because of the indomitable courage of quite small people against impossible odds: jungles, volcanoes, wild beasts... they struggle on, almost blindly in a way" (Interview by Dennis Gerrolt; it was first broadcast in January 1971 on BBC Radio 4 program "Now Read On…").
But I'm nog sure since you are referring to the letters. Maybe you are looking for another answer...
Old 07-19-2004, 10:36 AM   #357
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

You are correct, Mariska; I am looking for a different answer.

Tolkien uses the word allegory in his draft, first to deny what LotR is an allegory of. He then states what it is of.

There's two end prepositions, which I am proud of.
Old 07-19-2004, 10:46 AM   #358
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

Fordim Hedgethistle has been trapped in the Barrow!
Ending a post with a preposition is something up with which I will not put!
Fordim Hedgethistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2004, 09:43 AM   #359
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Boots Please Mr. Postman

A hint, a hint for an answer to come up with?

This was a letter written in the month of "shoures soote", in the mid-fifties, sent to someone who appears one time only to have been written to.

*nods to Fordim and Churchill*
Old 07-26-2004, 10:23 AM   #360
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
.......Child comes dragging in from vacation with her copy of the Letters in one hand and Canterbury Tales in the other

Bethberry,

I'll take a shot at this. There is a letter dated 10 April 1958 (lots of nice showers then!) that was sent to C. Ouboter, a Rotterdam bookseller whom Tolkien had just visited. In this letter, Tolkien first says this:

Quote:
As for 'message', I have none really, if by that is meant the conscious purpose in writing The Lord of the Rings of preaching, or of delivering myself of a vision of truth esepcially revealed to me!
But he then goes on to admit that , in rereading the book, he became "aware of the dominence of the theme of Death". He observes:

Quote:
But certainly Death is not an Enemy! I said, or meant to say, that the 'message' was the hideous peril of confusing true 'immortality' with limitless serial longevity. Freedom from Time, and clinging to Time. The confusion is the work of the Enemy, and one of the chief causes of human disaster.
Is this what you had in mind?

~Child