The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-18-2002, 01:45 PM   #41
Elrian
Eldar Spirit of Truth

Elrian has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Quote:
I'm betting Legolas is single
That is a good bet, but Tolkien left alot open for discussion, as you say Gimli is his only MENTIONED companion. Unlike Celebrian, or anyone else tragic in Elronds family, legolas' family may not have been tragic and considered (all Legolas fans please leave this thread now!)

Boring! [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]
I'll stick to Old Toby and a Hobbit hole.*~*
Elrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2002, 02:37 PM   #42
Legolas
A Northern Soul

Legolas has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Unfinished Tales is not authoritative when it differs from what is said in the appendices of the trilogy.

"we're told that he was among the Sindar who travelled eastward from Lindon 'before the building of the Barad-dûr'. Sauron started building the Barad-dûr in about II 1000, so Thranduil must predate this." -EoA

This is the only finished information given about Thranduil that early on in time, which means that Legolas can be at least 5624 when the Ring-bearers cross the sea. Everything else is unconclusive and subject to pure speculation.

Quote:
I have always thought it interesting how both legolas and Boromir downplay their positions
It is possible that they were humble about their somewhat royal lineage, but it's equally possible that if they had egos because of their family, they were at least wise enough to set it aside in light of the great task at hand that required the unity of elves and men, dwarves and hobbits, young and old, royalty and commoners.

[ June 18, 2002: Message edited by: Legalos ]
Old 06-18-2002, 06:06 PM   #43
Imperica
Animated Skeleton

Imperica has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Imperica Send a message via AIM to Imperica
Sting

Quote:
I know that. But I was merely underlining the fact that the Appendix says something else. In Unfinished Tales Oropher founded the Kingdom in Greenwood, while in the Appendix Thranduil is the first king of Mirkwood.
There is a large difference between Greenwood and Mirkwood. Greenwood is called Mirkwood after it is influenced by Sauron's presence in Dol Guldor.

So it is no mistake, Oropher did found the Kingdom of Greenwood. And Thranduil was the first king of Mirkwood.
Imperica is offline   Reply With Quote