The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Quiz Room
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-11-2007, 01:04 PM   #361
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Actually, I think since you said "north", then Arvedui it was...
Quote:
Originally Posted by LotR Appendix A
Arvedui Last-king †1975. End of the North-kingdom.
But let's not quibble over semantics. Here is the new one:

What were the names of the two close relatives, who were among the Corsairs of Umbar?
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 07:44 AM   #362
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sangahyando and Angamaite perhaps?
Old 03-13-2007, 08:57 AM   #363
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Of course, TM. Whom else could I have expected to answer
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Old 03-13-2007, 10:05 AM   #364
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
I thought about this answer yesterday already, but I thought it might be wrong since as great grandsons of Castamir, they might not be seen as "close" relatives...but as I didn't know any other names I tried it

Anyway...

Where and how did Aragorn's grandfather on his father's side die?
Old 03-13-2007, 10:28 AM   #365
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

If I remember correctly, then he was killed by trolls north of Rivendell... Coldfalls, or how was it called.
Old 03-13-2007, 10:38 AM   #366
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

How is correct, where...
Old 03-13-2007, 10:48 AM   #367
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Okay, I had to look it up. Coldfells was the name of that place. It is called simply "Cold Waterfalls" in Czech...
Old 03-13-2007, 10:51 AM   #368
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

Thumbs up

Looking forward to your next question
Old 03-13-2007, 12:05 PM   #369
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Pipe Fine

This is probably not so hard as braintester, but I think it is very typical "trivia" question...

How many fingers were on Treebeard's hands?
Old 03-13-2007, 02:07 PM   #370
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

10?
Old 03-13-2007, 02:13 PM   #371
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Nope.
Old 03-13-2007, 02:18 PM   #372
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

Now that I read through the chapter again, I am not so sure fingers are ever mentioned...
He didn't have any at all I guess
Old 03-13-2007, 02:39 PM   #373
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

No, I can assure you there is precisely said how many fingers he had.
Old 03-13-2007, 04:41 PM   #374
Gil-Galad
Psyche of Prince Immortal

Location: Above a Parapet Obvious exits are: North, South, and Dennis
Gil-Galad has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via MSN to Gil-Galad
going to guess with 4 on each hand...
Old 03-14-2007, 01:43 AM   #375
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Twelve?
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 06:14 AM   #376
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

Well, all I know is he had 7 toes on each foot...
But fingers on his hands...maybe 14 then?
Old 03-14-2007, 07:37 AM   #377
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Well, I must apologize, I realize now what is written in the original... of course I was using the translation and there it seems as if he had seven fingers on his hands, where the original speaks obviously about seven toes on feet. I should have looked it up, but it didn't even come to my mind that the translation could be so twisted

*scratches head* Since if I started from the original, I would probably have asked about the toes, then TM's answer would be correct and I'll pass the thread to him. Most of the other answers, maybe except Gil-Galad's, would anyway be wrong - at least if Treebeard was like other ents. There is said that generally they had "anything from three to nine" (both about the fingers and toes). So TM, ask away.
Old 03-14-2007, 08:37 AM   #378
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

Translations can be a problem sometimes...

Anyway, who hid himself in abandoned mines?
Old 03-14-2007, 01:21 PM   #379
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Arvedui? These were Dwarven mines, and he hid himself there after his retreat from the defeat by Witch-King...
Old 03-14-2007, 01:25 PM   #380
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

Thumbs up

I was actually hoping it will take longer to answer, since it's only a pretty obscure thing...guess the thread is yours.
Old 03-15-2007, 12:39 PM   #381
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Narya Another question

Well, it happens I like to look at stuff like that, these "not-too-common" things. I like it, because you can see stories or characters behind it that you'd otherwise pay a little attention to. And since the story of the Arnorian chieftains is very elaborate, I have the bits of it in my mind

Okay, it took me now some time, since I was trying to come up also with something "not too ordinary"... I hope this will be interesting enough:

Who was the person whom even the Lord of the Nazgul feared, but who received a Morgul-wound and died?
Old 03-16-2007, 08:11 AM   #382
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

Earnur I believe...
He clearly died from a Morgul-wound as he accepted the Wicht-king's challenge some time later and never returned
Old 03-17-2007, 07:58 AM   #383
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

No, it was not Eärnur

WK mocked him, he wasn't afraid of him, maybe not at all, and we don't know for sure what his fate was, maybe he died by Morgul-wound, maybe he was tortured to death, maybe something else. But the person I am looking for is someone else. Someone... well, someone the WK feared and who died later by the Morgul-wound, as I said earlier
Old 03-17-2007, 08:19 AM   #384
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

This makes me think of Frodo
I believe the WK did fear him, and it was the Morgul wound that forced him to leave Middle-earth
Old 03-17-2007, 09:02 AM   #385
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Perhaps he feared him, but this is not who I am looking for. That person actually died.
Old 03-17-2007, 10:21 AM   #386
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

I forgot about Boromir, son of Denethor I
Old 03-17-2007, 10:54 AM   #387
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

That was him. Interesting person he must have been, just from what is written about him... not to forget that Boromir of the Nine Walkers was named after him...

Your turn
Old 03-17-2007, 01:08 PM   #388
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

I guess it was somehow a repeating pattern of the father called Denethor, and the son Boromir

Who wanted to punish others by throwing them into snake pits?
Old 03-17-2007, 01:26 PM   #389
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

The Goblins of Misty-Mountains? The Great Goblin, namely.
Old 03-17-2007, 01:44 PM   #390
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

I was hoping that Hobbit questions might be harder to answer
Old 03-17-2007, 02:37 PM   #391
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

They do, but I just have some things (including the speech of the Great Goblin) in memory, so...

But if you say the Hobbit ones are more difficult, what about this: Which person owns red handkerchiefs? (or, at least owned one, which was borrowed by Bilbo - but this implies that this person owns more red handkerchiefs in general )
Old 03-17-2007, 05:28 PM   #392
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

Well, he took Elrond's red silk handkerchief...poor Elrond

Anyway, looking for the answer, I came across something else which I find interesting, but that's another topic

Who made Minas Anor the permanent residence of the king?
Old 03-18-2007, 12:09 PM   #393
Dimturiel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Dimturiel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via MSN to Dimturiel Send a message via Yahoo to Dimturiel
Wasn't it Ostoher?
Old 03-18-2007, 02:17 PM   #394
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

No
Old 03-18-2007, 03:27 PM   #395
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

King Tarondor, eh?
Old 03-19-2007, 08:35 AM   #396
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

yep, Ostoher only made it the summer residence
Old 03-20-2007, 10:32 AM   #397
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Who was the person who almost saved Théodred at the Battles of Isen?
Old 03-20-2007, 10:40 AM   #398
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

Grimbold if I remember correctly
Anyway...I've always thought that Rohan made a big strategical mistake there and lost too many men unnecessarily
Old 03-20-2007, 10:53 AM   #399
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Correct, Grimbold it was.

And I don't know about the strategical mistake, because it is one of the parts of the ME history I am not much familiar with. But you might take the thread
Old 03-20-2007, 01:53 PM   #400
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

Well...I think they could have used those forces much better to maybe attack Saruman's Uruks on one side of the river and then return for the others, or as Erkenbrand proposed I think to retreat a short distance and then with a cavalry charge drive all the forces on one side into the river, then go for the others. But I'm no military strategist, so I'll leave it as it is.

What Ent died during the attack on Isengard?