The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Quiz Room
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-13-2007, 06:42 AM   #441
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rune Son of Bjarne
I think it has more to do with bring tired than not reading through the thread carefully enough. . . This took place at 5-7 am
Oh, then this explains a lot. How comes you have such a nerve? Oh, or was it that you were already awake? Or not yet asleep?
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 06:45 AM   #442
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
Not yet a sleep. . .anyways better stop here before a mod comes around and kick our asses for being off-topic

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 08:36 AM   #443
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Okay...who took care of the Shire's border areas?
Old 04-15-2007, 08:44 AM   #444
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
A special sort of Shiriffs... (looks at the English term for it) Bounders.
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Old 04-15-2007, 10:52 AM   #445
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Indeed
Old 04-15-2007, 11:01 AM   #446
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
I thought this was charachter Trivia not Profession Trvia

Old 04-15-2007, 11:19 AM   #447
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

Question

Legate, maybe we should let Rune answer one?
Old 04-15-2007, 12:00 PM   #448
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Question

During the rule of which Gondorian steward Isengard was lost?

EDIT: Oops, sorry, cross-post - I was re-thinking the question so many times that I had the post window open and meanwhile, you posted... well, it also seemed to me that is not much of a character trivia question... but at least you have something to answer now, Rune... TM would certainly let you take at least one guess before he himself attempts, right? ...everyone's happy.

After all, we have plenty of threads with riddles here... you might look at others meanwhile...

Last edited by Legate of Amon Lanc; 04-15-2007 at 12:03 PM.
Old 04-15-2007, 12:03 PM   #449
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

Well, I believe you mean the take-over of Isengard by Dunlendings in 2710 TA
Which would mean sometime during the reign of Steward Egalmoth

EDIT: Oops...I've just edited it after noticing your edit
Old 04-15-2007, 12:04 PM   #450
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

*AHEM* of course, correct.

EDIT: Nothing. Riddle in the riddles section coming soon...
Old 04-15-2007, 01:36 PM   #451
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

Who has a name meaning "earth servant" ?
Old 04-15-2007, 02:16 PM   #452
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Well, simply by translation I would say Cemendur, who was the son of the famous Meneldil you mentioned in your question not too long ago.
Old 04-15-2007, 02:28 PM   #453
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

Thumbs up

indeed
Old 04-15-2007, 02:42 PM   #454
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Easier one for a change

Who were the last two orcs to attempt to flee Cirith Ungol? (before Shagrat)
Old 04-15-2007, 02:54 PM   #455
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

I had to do a bit of searching for this one, I have to admit. Normaly I only answer if I do not have to put a lot of efford into figuring out the answer, but this once I made an exeption.

I belive you are thinking of Muzgash and Lagduf

Old 04-15-2007, 03:00 PM   #456
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Thumbs up

Exactly. Here goes the thread to you, Rune.
Old 04-15-2007, 03:16 PM   #457
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

The hardest thing about quizes is always to figure out a good question and to make sure that it has not been asked before. . .I am going to skip all of that this time and just copy a previously asked question. I leave it up to you if you want to search the thread for the answer (if you do not know the answer your self)

What character had an elderly companion named Zamîn in his/her childhood home?

Old 04-15-2007, 03:32 PM   #458
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

I think Erendis it was. I just read the story a short time ago...
Old 04-15-2007, 03:39 PM   #459
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

That is almost correct. . . .

Old 04-15-2007, 03:47 PM   #460
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Almost? A-ha! Ancalimë, then.
Old 04-15-2007, 03:57 PM   #461
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Correct. . .

If the Childhood bit had not been there you had been right the first time.

Old 04-17-2007, 04:10 AM   #462
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Who was called "slave of slaves"?
Old 04-17-2007, 05:04 AM   #463
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
The orc named/called Snaga?
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 10:08 AM   #464
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Nope, that would be simply "slave". This was not the person's real name, and he was called that only in certain occassion. But a rather significant one, I might add.
Old 04-17-2007, 04:22 PM   #465
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

Brodda
Old 04-18-2007, 03:19 AM   #466
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Interfering with a little explanation...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc
Nope, that would be simply "slave". This was not the person's real name, and he was called that only in certain occassion. But a rather significant one, I might add.
I was that thinking that if orcs were (sort of) slaves and there was a low-rank orc called Snaga "slave" then you could think it was... Well, yes, that was quite far-fetched, but I had to try.
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 04:11 AM   #467
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Might
Brodda
*AHEM* And I thought this could be hard...

(or is it that you already received your copy of CoH and in tolkienic maddness read it as far as that moment?)

Of course, correct. Please, take over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lommy
I was that thinking that if orcs were (sort of) slaves and there was a low-rank orc called Snaga "slave" then you could think it was... Well, yes, that was quite far-fetched, but I had to try.
Understood. I thought you meant it like that. And, as you say, at least you tried. That counts as well

EDIT: I just noticed, that last time, the posts I send in reply to TM mostly start with the word *AHEM*

Last edited by Legate of Amon Lanc; 04-19-2007 at 04:14 AM.
Old 04-19-2007, 08:05 AM   #468
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

Nah, I believe in the earlier version of the story this part is also present so I remembered about it

Ok...what character, as the only one of six, reached his goal?
Old 04-21-2007, 03:13 PM   #469
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Six? Are you sure they were six? I found many examples of two, one of four, several of five and seven, but none of six. Could you at least say if they were... um... all together, like for example a company of whom only one survived till the end, or that these where six totally different characters, like six people trying to reach something at several times or even enemies trying to reach some goal, of who only one succeeded?
Old 04-21-2007, 05:06 PM   #470
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

A company, but not of all six.
Old 04-21-2007, 08:05 PM   #471
Gil-Galad
Psyche of Prince Immortal

Location: Above a Parapet Obvious exits are: North, South, and Dennis
Gil-Galad has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via MSN to Gil-Galad
hmmm... i'm thinking of the Grey Company...

Aragorn - became king of gondor

don't remember if Gimli, Legolas, Elladan, Elrohir, and Halbarad had any other proclaimed goal...
Old 04-22-2007, 01:54 AM   #472
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

1. wrong
2. The Grey Company had 30 other Dunedain as well
Old 04-22-2007, 01:47 PM   #473
Gil-Galad

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Might
1. wrong
2. The Grey Company had 30 other Dunedain as well

i know that, but only six of that company was given names in the book... seesh
Old 04-22-2007, 02:00 PM   #474
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

Sorry for my response, I'm under quite much stress right now, I apologize.

As a tip for all of you, there were only six people who EVER attempted this feat, and out of them only one succeeded.
Believe me it is a very obvious answer ( if you find it), so if you have your doubts it probably is wrong.
Old 04-22-2007, 06:34 PM   #475
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Eärendil?

Old 04-22-2007, 06:50 PM   #476
Gil-Galad

Turin Turambar?

i'm trying to remember... but his goal was to slay Glaurang, but many before him have failed... like Azaghal and i can't think of others...

now i'm thinking of Frodo, and destroying the Ring/Sauron, mainly Sauron

Gil-Galad
Isildur
Finrod
Elendil
Elrond
Frodo

yarg... another though... could be Eowyn who killed the Witch-King...

Glorfindel
Earnur
Avredui(maybe?)
Theoden
Gandalf
Eowyn

to much thinking
Old 04-23-2007, 12:42 AM   #477
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Ah, Witch-king, it didn't occur to me, perhaps...?

But I am 100% sure it is not Túrin nor it's slaying Sauron, I checked those possibilities, so if TM says it's true, I'm going to get angry!

If Gil-Galad is not right, perhaps some little, just little hint might be of help? Like what time, age...?
Old 04-23-2007, 06:27 AM   #478
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Damn, far more people than six tried to to find the way to Valinor, Turgon alone sent 7 ships. . . that is what happens when you guess with out thinking things through.

Old 04-23-2007, 09:29 AM   #479
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

No, as I said it is very obvious, and Legate knows what I mean. Just like for his riddles once you find the answer you'll know it's correct.
For example people wanting to slay the WK isn't very good, one could say Merry, or maybe also Eomer would have desired to kill him...
Old 04-24-2007, 01:35 PM   #480
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

*slams head on the desk*

Borondir the messenger of Cirion to Éotheod?