The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-23-2001, 12:27 PM   #1
Nenya
Wight

Nenya has just left Hobbiton.
Question When did you laugh or cry?

...or did you keep a straight face all the time? <BR>I laughed in many places (Merry&Pippin were funny, even if they were a bit one-dimensional in the movie) , and cried in a few.<BR>Actually I didn't cry when I first read about Gandalf's "death" in the book (I knew he wasn't really dead, thanks to my dear friend... ), but I cried in the movies, thanks to PJ and all the actors.*bows to them*<BR>So, let me hear about your experiences!
Nenya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2001, 01:18 PM   #2
Zippo
Animated Skeleton

Zippo has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Zippo
Pipe

I kept a straight face the entire movie, except when my friend leaned over to tell me some stupid thing he noticed, the only time my expression changed is when they skipped over the entire old forest and barrow downs... Then my face changed to anger...GRRRRR!
Old 12-23-2001, 01:21 PM   #3
Prince_Imrahil

Tolkien

IT was funny when sauron is forging his ring....he looked chubby.
Old 12-23-2001, 03:29 PM   #4
Elfkor

Sting

Lets see: "It's called a pint." "It comes in pints?!" That was one of the funniest parts of the movie that I can remember<P>I noticed that the wole theater fell silent when Gandalf was pulled into the abyss, even though most of them had already read the book.
Old 12-24-2001, 07:20 AM   #5
the Lockbearer

Pipe

I was pretty much straight faced through the first viewing. Didn't laugh or cry but did make several frowns when I noticed the changes in the story.<P>The second viewing was different. This time I was able to enjoy the film without making a critical analysis.<P>At laughed when Gandalf hit his head on the beam in Bag End, at the Hobbit children when they were listening to Bilbo, and at Gimli's reaction to Aragorn' words "lets go hunt some Orc".<P>Can't say that I cried but my eyes were teary when Boromir, while dying, confessed Aragorn as his King and when Sam showed his committment to Frodo when he waded into the river Anduin and nearly drowned.
Old 12-24-2001, 01:09 PM   #6
Zippo
Animated Skeleton

Zippo has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Zippo
Pipe

I agree about the pint thing, I was kind of angry at the time i posted.., some guy cused us out at the theater...
Old 12-24-2001, 11:51 PM   #7
Lush
Fair and Cold

Lush is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to Lush Send a message via AIM to Lush Send a message via Yahoo to Lush
Eye

I wiped a few tears from my eyes when Arwen and Aragorn spoke in the night, and when elves were heard lamenting Gandalf. This was when I went to see it for the second time. The first time, I got misty eyed right after Gandalfs fall and during Boromir's painful last words, of course. <BR> Otherwise, it's the random moments of beauty in the film that caused a few tears to appear. You notice them more when you see it a second time.<BR>Love,<BR>Lush
Old 12-25-2001, 01:01 PM   #8
Marileangorifurnimaluim
Eerie Forest Spectre

Marileangorifurnimaluim has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Everytime Bilbo says that head-scratcher "I haven't known half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve." And Ian Holms brush off gesture at "Proudfeet!" was the sort of joke you can only tell visually.<P>When Gandalf stands outside the doors of Moria trying to figure out the password. <P>Best moment: when my roommate next to me gasped at the Kings of Argonath on either side of the Anduin. "Wow!" he whispered. That's a moment I will never forget.
Old 12-25-2001, 01:16 PM   #9
Quellesir

Sting

The hole of the Shire section was bliss for me, the interaction between Bilbo, Frodo and Gandalf was great. Felt myself filling up when watching that.<P>Gandalf's fall and the reaction of the fellowship.<P>Frodo's sickness after being stabbed I found quite pitiful as well.<P>Eek, I forgot Sam when he says to Aragorn, "Let him go or I'll have you Longshanks"!!! Laughed lots at this.<p>[ December 25, 2001: Message edited by: Quellesir ]
Old 12-28-2001, 11:05 AM   #10
Son of Gondor
Pile O'Bones

Son of Gondor has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

I thought Sam's undaunted threatening of Strider with his fists with a sword in his face was funny along with Pippin's complaint of missing second-breakfast and his asking were the fellowship was going, right after joining it.<P>And then I, who has never, ever cried at a movie, almost cried when the company rushes out of Moria. The actors were excellent, but the music was the most poinigant. I got the sound track for Christmas and I still almost cry when I hear that music. Also Boromir's muffled yells as he fought his last orcs and the music for it I thought was also very touching. For some reason I have always had a respect for Boromir and I am glad the movie gave him some honor. You knew the "King" quote was coming, but it was beautiful just the same.<P>And then there parts that I just wanted to shout or simply gasp at. The horses in Ford sweeping away the black riders sent shivers through me as well those winding stairways and the sweeping picture of Saruman calling from Orthanc. And in all instances the music was stellar (particularly Kazad-Dum)
Old 12-28-2001, 12:45 PM   #11
Lush
Fair and Cold

Send a message via ICQ to Lush Send a message via AIM to Lush Send a message via Yahoo to Lush
Eye

Indeed, it was the music that made me misty-eyed! A few people here seem to have really hated it, but I thought it was well done too, and I want that soundtrack!
Old 12-28-2001, 02:31 PM   #12
QueenMag

Sting

The film never made me cry, but the second and third times I saw it, I did get misty eyed when: Gandalf falls, Boromir dies, Aragorn resists the the power of the Ring, when Gandalf advises Frodo in Moria about pity and what "one must do," when Galadriel waves farewell to the Fellowship, and when Frodo remmebers Gandalf's words before he sets off in the canoe at the end. <P>I laughed each time I saw the film, most at: Pippin's "What about second breakfast?" lines, the hobbit children when Bilbo tells them his adventure tales (that one little girl is so adorable), Pippin and Merry jumping on Boromir, and Gimli's "Not the beard!" line.
Old 12-28-2001, 03:09 PM   #13
Evil Anya
Animated Skeleton

Evil Anya has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Evil Anya
Sting

I laughed a couple times at all the pipe weed jokes. Yes, and Bilbo's "I haven't known half of you half as well as I should like..." line, it always makes me laugh in the book and it was so funny to see him actually say it. Even if it was a cheap little sight gag I couldn't stifle laughter when Aragorn hits Pippin in the head with the apple, it was so cute and funny, him and Merry just look so much like hobbits in that moment.<P>There were a couple places where i got misty eyed but all of them have been mentioned. Legolas walking on the snow was just such a beautiful touch from the book that my eyes welled up a little though.
Evil Anya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2001, 07:24 PM   #14
Beryl

Sting

I laughed in all the wrong places, for all the reasons PJ & Co. would hate, but especially at the falls of Rauos when my daughter sung out "Stop in the name of Love"<BR>hehehehehehehehe.
Old 12-30-2001, 11:43 PM   #15
Snowflake
Pile O'Bones

Snowflake has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Snowflake
Sting

I don't cry at movies, but I thought it was funny in a few places.
Old 12-31-2001, 03:09 AM   #16
Marileangorifurnimaluim
Eerie Forest Spectre

Marileangorifurnimaluim has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

In the second viewing the soundtrack got me, after the fall of Gandalf. No misty eyes but it cut straight to the heart. Also Boromir's "For pity's sake.." <P>I liked Frodo and Gandalf's discussion in Moria. I think moving that from the "Shadow of the Past" worked in the movie.
Old 12-31-2001, 10:37 AM   #17
Legolas
A Northern Soul

Legolas has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The fall of Gandalf got me. I knew it was coming each time I saw it of course, and I knew he'd be back...sort of hard to understand. Boromir's death was another one of those moments of course. <P>There were also moments that just gave me chills - seeing the Kings of Argonath on each side of the Anduin, the music in the dwarven throne room...<P>"Then who would you take up with? A fat inkeeper who only remembers his own name because people shout it at him all day?"<p>[ December 31, 2001: Message edited by: Legalos ]
Old 12-31-2001, 02:08 PM   #18
sbierig

Pipe

1. Bilbo's classic words at his party<BR>2. Pippin's lines regarding Pints of Ale and Second Breakfast.<BR>3. Gimli's "Nobody Tosses a Dwarf" as the bridge is collapsing<BR>Also, Gandalf's bumbling behaviour in Bilbo's home was a nice touch.
Old 12-31-2001, 02:33 PM   #19
FilmHobbit

Sting

The Shire, the Shire was truly beautiful. And the most genuine pure, endearing laugh in the film is when Gandalf shoots fireworks out the back of his cart for the kids, and their father laughs and gets caught by his cranky old wife.<P>Merry and Pippin, as they are in the book, were consistently entertaining. As someone else mentioned the Pint thing was a riot, as was Pippin at the Council of Elrond when he asked "ok where we goin?"
Old 12-31-2001, 11:22 PM   #20
Elrian
Eldar Spirit of Truth

Elrian has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

The look on the Hobbits faces when Bilbo started his speech, that was pretty funny and well done.<BR>Pippin and Merry setting off the Dragon was hysterical. Also Pippin asking about 2nd breakfast, elevenses and so on. and "Great, where we going?"<BR>Legolas pulling Gimli up by the beard.<BR>Galadriel as a Tim Burton character.<P>The sad ones were Frodo at the Ford<BR>Gandalf's fall in Moria,<BR>the death ob Boromir, and the capture of Pippin and Merry.
I'll stick to Old Toby and a Hobbit hole.*~*
Elrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2002, 08:04 AM   #21
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Rose Cotton has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The sadest part was definitly the sadest. I would have cried if I cry in movies. But part of what I liked about the movie. Was that right in the middle of some heroic,scary,or sad time. Pipin or Merry would say somthing to make you laugh out loud. You were never unhappy long while those two were around.<BR> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Hay, it's working.[Pipin]<BR> I know it is, run.[Merry} <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>(When they're runing from the orcs.)
Old 01-01-2002, 02:13 PM   #22
Airetelluma
Pile O'Bones

Airetelluma has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Airetelluma
Sting

When the fellowship came out of Moria, and everyone was upset, that was saddening. But when I saw Pippin just sprawled out on the rocks, crying, and Merry's leaning over him, massaging his shoulder and trying to comfort him, I couldn't help it. I burst into tears. It was just so sad, and Merry trying to help Pippin was so sweet. I've never cried at a movie before in my entire life. ^_^;; And I was blinking away the tears when Frodo had just been stabbed by the Nazgul and one of the hobbits was stroking his head (I think it was Pippin, though I'm not sure). It was unbearably cute. ^_^<P>Laughable parts: "<i>No one</i> tosses a dwarf!" <BR>"They come in pints?!"<BR>"Look, Merry. It's Frodo Baggins!" (The whole running from Farmer Maggot in the fields bit)<BR>"You're going to need people of intelligence on this sort of mission...quest...thing. ...So, where are we goin'?"<BR>Merry and Pippin jumping on Boromir and wrestling with him.<BR>"I'm going to Mordor alone!" "Of course you are--and I'm comin' with you!"<BR>"Fool of a Took! Next time, throw yourself in and rid us of your stupidity!"<BR>Merry and Pippin jumping on the cave troll and stabbing it like crazy. That made me laugh; don't know why.<BR>Anytime the hobbits yelled and went running into battle. XD<BR>And, last but not least, when Boromir died, and you could see Sean Bean clearly blink. I started laughing so hard; the other people in the theater weren't so amused, though...
And runes of power upon the door.
The light of sun and star and moon
In shining lamps of crystal hewn
Undimmed by cloud or shade of night
There shone forever fair and bright.
Airetelluma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2002, 05:54 PM   #23
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>"I'm going to Mordor alone." "Of corse you are and I'm going with you.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>Actualy whenever Frodo went somewhere Sam was never far behind. You couldn't have Frodo without Sam. And it's a good thing. Imagine Frodo going to Mt. Doom without Sam.
Old 01-01-2002, 10:09 PM   #24
Ainaharma

Silmaril

It's impossible to keep a straight face in this movie. I have to say, it was actually an EXPERIENCE for me, though I know it was for many. I'm ashamed to say that I'd never read the books before I saw the movie the first time, and I was smiling, jumping in fright and worry, or crying through the whole thing. I love those hobbits, they're such wonderful creatures! <P>I loved the party at the beginning. I laughed when Sam insisted that he hadn't been "dropping no eaves!" That was great. And when Aragorn did the "Let's hunt some Orcs!" thing. And when the hobbits were first heading towards Rivendale with Strider and Pippin was trying to explain 2nd breakfast and all of the means. Very cute. And when he and Merry were leading the Orcs away from Frodo. What great hobbits! <P>I cried when Gandalf fell of the bridge. In my unread ignorance, I thought that he'd died. My friend sitting next to me informed me, but I cried for a while. And I was with 2 guys...it was embarrassing! And I was actually tired when I left the theatre! Both times I saw the movie! It was like I was there! GREAT movie. Great books too. Wow.<p>[ January 01, 2002: Message edited by: Ainaharma ]
Old 01-03-2002, 01:38 AM   #25
Enkanowen
Haunting Spirit

Enkanowen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

i LAUGHED a lot of times :<P>"he doesnt know about second breakfast????"<BR>that was hillarious<P>merry and pippin were the comic relief of the movie so a lot of what they did made me laugh/smile/smirk<P>also i laughed when sam, merry and pippin join the fellowship and elrond gives this amazing look, hillarious<P>I CRIED :<P>of course when Gandalf falls into shadow (especially right after when everyone just lost all their hope and is crying outside) (Frodo's face almost killed me it was so sad)<P>Boromir's death was... i did not cry but I felt very terrible, angry too. <P>Then in the end, when Sam goes after Frodo and almost drowns himself in the process, that was the most teary moment for me.
Enkanowen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2002, 08:45 AM   #26
Pippin
Haunting Spirit

Pippin has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

my first time of seeing it, people were up and down all the time, getting popcorn, going to the bathroom, whatever, but from the second the first black rider appeared, nobody moved. I came "out" of the story as the credits began, to find myself tearstreaked. I didn't even realise.<P>but <BR>funny bits were a relief:<BR>I won't list them all, causer most of them have been said before, but one that made me was when Marry and Pippin are leading the orcs away from Frodo, <BR>Pippin: hey, it's working!<BR>Merry: I <I>know</I> it's working! Run!<BR>a very emotional picture all round.
Old 01-03-2002, 08:47 AM   #27
Pippin
Haunting Spirit

Pippin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

ugh, frozen fingers! I meant <I>Merry</I>...
Old 01-04-2002, 12:37 AM   #28
Gilthalion
Hobbitus Emeritus

Gilthalion has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I got teary upon seeing the Shire itself as Gandalf rode in with Frodo.<P>I think I was the only one in the theater to actually laugh out loud when Gimli attempted to destroy the Ring at the Council of Elrond.<P>Loved Pippin's tweenish tomfoolery.
Old 01-04-2002, 12:06 PM   #29
lothlorien

lothlorien has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I had lots of fun with Merry&Pippin, specially with the fireworks scene. <BR>And I also laughed with Bilbo´s speech at his birthday party.<BR>But during the most part of the movie I was impressed or emotionated.When the members of the fellowship go out of Moria after Gandalf´s death and all of them burst in tears,my heart was desolated. And then I saw that beautiful image,when Frodo turns his face and the tears are falling down his cheeks...It was so terribly sad!!
lothlorien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2002, 02:57 PM   #30
Elven-Maiden
Shade of Carn Dûm

Elven-Maiden has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Some of the funniest parts:<P>"The have a <I>cave troll</I>."<BR>"It comes in pints???"<BR>"Not the beard! Not the beard!" (or something like that)<BR>The whole second-breakfast thing, and then when Aragorn throws them an apple and it hits Pippin in the head.<BR>"Let's hunt some orcs." (this was funny but I didn't laugh because I was crying)<BR>At the very beginning, when Gandalf was arguing with Frodo about wizards never being late.<BR>The part in the forest when the Dark Rider jumps out at them suddenly. (this was funny because my friend sitting next to me hit the roof in fright.)<P>Sadest parts:<BR>When Boromir gasped out his last words. I was sobbing very hard.<BR>When Frodo got stabbed.<BR>And of course, when Gandalf went over the Bridge. I wasn't crying but two of my best friends-both guys-were!

Mobilis in Mobile
Elven-Maiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2002, 03:12 PM   #31
Elanor
Shade of Carn Dûm

Elanor has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Most of my favourite bits have already been mentioned, but I'll just add another one. I love the scene in Farmer Maggot's field, when he is chasing them and Merry and Pippin push all the stolen vegetables into Sam's hands. I just love the way he stands there for a minute before he realises what he's holding, and runs...
Old 01-04-2002, 06:59 PM   #32
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

When I had gone to see the Harry Potter movie. I was with alot of fans and it was fun laughing and cheering. But when I saw LotR prepared for the same amount of fun I was discusted. No one seemed to relize how wonderful this movie was. They would talk and walk around. It got me so mad. I still enjoyed myself though. That's how great the movie is forget Harry P. But next year I want to go with fans so I'm going to see if I can get myself at a midnight showing. <BR>I just thought of something. When Gandalf fell it was sooo sad. So next year how sad will it be when we all think Frodo has died. I can picture Sam's face now and it's breaking my heart.What do you think?
Old 01-04-2002, 08:03 PM   #33
Son of Gondor
Pile O'Bones

Son of Gondor has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

I hadn't thought about Frodo's apparent death. That will be sad! I also wonder if they'll include Faramir's finding of Boromir? But the best will be Gandalf's confrontation of Saruman at flooded Isengard. I bet Treebeard will be funny in his own non-hasty way.<P>Another laught-getter (Straight from the book I might add.)<P>Sam - Please don't turn me into anything....unnatural..
Old 01-09-2002, 02:31 PM   #34
Maeglin
Wight

Maeglin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I kinda laughed-cryed (not in the hysterical kind of way) when pippin was training swordfighting with Boromir and, well you know what happend...
Old 01-09-2002, 05:07 PM   #35
dernhelm
Animated Skeleton

dernhelm has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

I laughed at most of the jokes in the movie. Sam, Merry, and Pippin especially made me smile.<P>When the head Uruk-hai guy got his head chopped off by Aragorn, almost everyone in the theater started laughing and clapping, except me. I still can't figure out why everyone seemed to think that part was so hilarious.<P>I cried a little when the fellowship came out of Moria, because they were all weeping over the loss of Gandalf. Also, tears came to my eyes at the movie's ending.
Old 01-10-2002, 12:49 AM   #36
Elrian
Eldar Spirit of Truth

Elrian has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

If you go see the fellowship again, watch when Aragorn stabs him, you'll see why everyone laughs when Aragorn beheads him. I couldn't believe that some people actually complained that the movie ended, not that there was anything wrong with that but, I guess they didn't even realize they'd been sitting in the theatre for 3 hours. Now that's a good movie!
I'll stick to Old Toby and a Hobbit hole.*~*
Elrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2002, 01:03 PM   #37
Maeglin
Wight

Sting

I got very happy when some of the girls in my class came too school the day after they'v seen the movie and said that it was the best movie they'v ever seen. I gladly introdused them too the books and I hope they enjoy them. Watch out. The Tolkien era has come and it's just the beginning. Soon we'll have hobbit's and elves running around among us!!!
Old 01-10-2002, 09:57 PM   #38
Lush
Fair and Cold

Eye

Hmmm. Elves running among us. Wouldn't that be nice?
Old 01-10-2002, 11:29 PM   #39
Telgaladiel
Pile O'Bones

Telgaladiel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Telgaladiel
Silmaril

Laughs <P>~Anything Merry and Pip. <BR>"You'll need a person of intelligence on this quest...mission...thing"<BR>"Well, that rules you out."<P>"They have a cave troll."<BR>"Nobody tosses a Dwarf" and "Not the beard!"<BR>The entire sequence of the Shire I love. <BR>Rivendell council also.<P>Sad <P>~After Moria.<BR>~Watching Merry and Pip be carried off.<BR>~Boromir's death was sad.<BR>~Watching Frodo decide to take up the burden of the Ring.<P>The first time I saw it, not a single person moved, and they applauded at the end. I admit, on my third watch, I got up...but.. large soda... very thirsty... durn.<P>I read earlier that someone felt that Merry and Pip were one dimensional. I don't feel that way. I've only read Fellowship of the Ring, and while you don't see as much of them as you might like, Merry shows himself to be extremely intelligent when he has to be and he wasn't afraid to get up and fight when needed and Pip.. oh Billy Boyd! To me, you could almost watch this "fool of a Took" grow up as the movie progressed. I think it was at Gandalf's fall. His face was the most heart wrenching of them all. To me, that loss woke him up.<P>Frodo's was bitterly beautiful. He knew he had to continue even if he didnt want to. <P>Yes, there are story differentials, but I loved the movie. Okay... before I get too durn off topic.. *runs*

"I don't think so."
Telgaladiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2002, 12:28 PM   #40
Maeglin
Wight

Sting

Yep, Moria after Gandalfs "death". That was sad . Seeing the faces of evrybody. <SOB!><P>BUT STOP CALLING PIPPIN PIP! it sounds like another word...