The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-03-2002, 10:48 PM   #41
Nevfeniel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Nevfeniel has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

By the way, it takes A LOT for me to cry. I was at a slumber party once and we were watching <I>Titanic</I> and out of about 15 other girls, I was the only one who wasn't crying @ the end.
Consider the purr a variety of audible tranquilizer. [. . .] For a few of us, there is one more purr, a secret purr. When we combine our secret purrs, we produce the Purr of Power. And that is simply the amplified amity we feel as furred and purred beings.
Nevfeniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2002, 11:46 AM   #42
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Samwise has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Samwise
Sting

Eh...it <I>dosen't</I> take a lot for me to cry. <BR>I get to see the movie again for the 2nd time. Wonder how badly I'll bawl this time.......<BR> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Sam stood by him, his round eyes wide open - for he was looking across lands he had never seen to a new horizon. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Giving thanks unto the Father...In whom we have redemption through His blood, even the forgiveness of sins.~Colossians1:12a,14
I am Samwise son of Hamfast, if by hoe or trowel I can get these weeds out of your garden, I will.You have my shears!;)
Samwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2002, 08:45 PM   #43
Lostgaeriel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Lostgaeriel has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Having read the books more times than I can count, I knew that if PJ had done his job well, I would need to bring a packet of tissues. So I was prepared to sob through all the emotional scenes you've all mentioned.<P>But what I wasn't prepared for was the opening scene showing Hobbiton. I started sobbing right then. It was so REAL. Peter Jackson had made it a real place and made it possible for me to be there. (It wasn't a reaction to long anticipation of the movie - I didn't know about the movie until October.) Bree and Rivendell and Moria (Lothlorien not so much) did the same thing to me. So I was running out of tissues by the time Boromir died!<P>Second viewing - not so much weeping - except for Boromir.<p>[ April 06, 2002: Message edited by: Lostgaeriel ]
Old 04-06-2002, 08:54 PM   #44
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Sting

Well, I don't think I was quite so weepy the second time around--at least not <I>in</I> the theatre. When we came out, and I explained to my friend's sister-in-law why I was glad they didn't do the part about Sam leaving Bill at Moria in the movie the way they did it in the book, I started bawling! <BR> <BR> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>"Bill, my lad, you ought'nt to have took up with us. You could have stayed here and et the best hay till the new grass comes. "<BR>~Sam Gamgee <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Giving thanks unto the Father...In whom we have redemption through His blood, even the forgiveness of sins.~Colossians1:12a,14
I am Samwise son of Hamfast, if by hoe or trowel I can get these weeds out of your garden, I will.You have my shears!;)
Old 04-06-2002, 08:55 PM   #45
Tigerlily Gamgee
Hostess of Spirits

Tigerlily Gamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Tigerlily Gamgee
Silmaril

I keep thinking that I should be prepared when I go to see the next two movies. Especially for what happens RIGHT after the Shelob incident! Oh my gosh! That was so sad in the book, it's gonna kill me on the screen (I hope they do it right)!<BR>There are other parts as well, but that one hits me the most.
Tigerlily Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2002, 09:00 PM   #46
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Raefindel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Raefindel
Sting

I don't know if it's because nothing was a surprise or just because I'm just a hard old thing, but I never cried at all. <P>I saw it again last night and several people were absolutely SOBBING. I was almost going to offer to go get them each a tissue.<P>I know I'm going to be stoned for this but (Rae ducks) I thought the fall of Gandalf was better portrayed in the cartoon!
Old 04-06-2002, 09:02 PM   #47
Tigerlily Gamgee
Hostess of Spirits

Tigerlily Gamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Tigerlily Gamgee
Silmaril

Yeah, I didn't actually cry during the movie, but I was sad at all of the parts that everyone has mentioned. I must admit, Elijah Wood knows how to make a heart-renching wail.
Tigerlily Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2002, 09:08 PM   #48
Kalimac
Candle of the Marshes

Kalimac has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I've seen the movie more times than I care to reveal and the scene with Merry and Pippin being carried off by the Uruk-Hai - it doesn't make me cry but I can feel my face tightening up the way it does where you're on the verge of doing so. Just something about their horror at seeing Boromir killed and their helplessness as they're picked up like so much luggage and carried away...<P>Samwise - the scene with Bill would definitely have been awful if they'd done it like in the book . But don't watch the Bakshi version in that case, since they leave in that bit (even worsen it, if you can imagine that. Bakshi never knew when to stop).
Old 04-06-2002, 09:18 PM   #49
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Sting

<I>Worsen</I> it!?!? Ai...Okay, mental note: DO NOT watch Bakashi version.... <BR> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>"A fair jaw-cracker dwarf language must be! "<BR>~Sam Gamgee <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 04-09-2002, 07:51 PM   #50
Nevfeniel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eye

The first time I saw it, my mom picked me up at the theater. When she asked about the tears on my face, I said, "The movie was so <I>beautiful</I>!
Consider the purr a variety of audible tranquilizer. [. . .] For a few of us, there is one more purr, a secret purr. When we combine our secret purrs, we produce the Purr of Power. And that is simply the amplified amity we feel as furred and purred beings.
Old 05-22-2002, 10:16 AM   #51
Frodo Baggins
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Frodo Baggins has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Lesee... "Give them a moment, for pity's sake!" Oooo that was probablyy the only time I Liked Boromir and the only time I didn't like Strider (being a hobbit I call him that) "Gaaaaandalf NOOOOOOOOOO!!!" and Boromir carries him off the bridge, yeah I cried then. And the hobbits all crying their eyes out. My brother, my capttain, my king!" Be at peace, son of Gondor" ooo I'm getting weepy just think about all of these. <BR>"The entire scene with Sam and Frodo at the river'<BR>Mister Frodo, I'm coming with you'<BR>'Sam go back! SAM you can't swim!!' GLUB (his eyes are staring at the sunlight through that water)<BR>Then Sam's sinking and the next thing you see is Frodo's arm under that water grabbing hold of him... Then of course, as it's been said the whole thing with Sam soaking wet and bawling at the same time"<P>Oh dear@ I cried harder the second time i saw this than the first,I just sat there and silently bawled my eyes out. <BR>I must stop before I ruin the keyboadr *sniff* *Sob* Git tissues?<P>Renewed shall be blade that was broken
Old 05-22-2002, 12:11 PM   #52
Astaldotathrawen
Pile O'Bones

Location: Mordor and Lorien, through Rivendell and Hobbiton and beyond!
Astaldotathrawen has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

I usually dont cry at anything. But I had already read the books before I saw the movie, and I was sad before anything happened because I knew it was coming. The part where Gandalf fell and Frodo was ouside crying made me brake. I couldn't stand it. He just puts so much into those scenes. But the part at the end where Pippin and Merry are carried away and Frodo leaves, it is just aweful! i had tears welling up in my eyes. I don't know how I'm gonna take the following movies. <P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>"I will take the ring, though I do not know the way" <BR> ---Frodo Baggins<P>"We hobbits ought to stick together, and we will. I shall go, unless they chain me up. There must be someone with intelligence in the Party." <BR> ---Peregrin "Pippen" Took<P>"I do not wish to stay- I would not be included in all the songs and tales only to have them say I was always left behind." <BR> --- Meriadoc "Merry" Brandybuck<BR> <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 05-22-2002, 12:35 PM   #53
Rosa_Baggins
Wight

Rosa_Baggins has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Ohhhhhhh my god!I was close to crying when that black rider stabbed frodo.I was shouting at him telling him why he could hurt such a cute lil face like frodos........awwwwwwwwwww...poor frodo!!<BR>and when boromir died and gandalf fell i had tears rolling down my eyes.Luckily it was 11:00pm when i came out of the cinema so no1 could see my panda eyes and the tears. <BR>lol
Old 05-22-2002, 02:06 PM   #54
Lothiriel Silmarien
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Lothiriel Silmarien has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Me too! Why would anybody hurt such cute hobbits?! I was almost in tears when Frodo was stabbed by the Nazgul and when he was taken by Arwen and he was so pale....aw, poor baby! But I cried when Frodo was standing alone, holding his ring in his hand before he went into the boat and he had tears in his eyes, when Boromir died and when he was carried downstream, and when Sam went in after Frodo and had to be saved, oh and also when Gandalf fell and the company was crying. So sad!!!! I really don't know how I'll take it when Frodo is "killed" by Shelob because that's where they end TTT. And in RotK, especially when they all go to the Grey Havens......noooooo!!!! But I'll be very proud of Aragorn, being kinged and all (is that even a word!?), so I might just cry then!
Lothiriel Silmarien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2002, 02:10 PM   #55
Lothiriel Silmarien
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Lothiriel Silmarien has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

How can I have forgotten!!! Merry and Pippin, when they're carried away by the orcs....that was so sad! And so brave! But how many people laughed when Aragorn cut off the arms of the Uruk-Hai, then took out his sword and chopped the thing's head off? I laughed, that was so funny!!
Lothiriel Silmarien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2002, 02:36 PM   #56
Nevfeniel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eye

Heh, the first time I saw the movie, the theater was silent when Aragorn chopped off Lurt's head. After that, the younger little boys were like, "Whoa!" like they had never pretended to do something like that while playing with action figures. Maybe they never thought they would see something like that in real life, and that particular scene made LotR their new favorite movie.
Old 05-22-2002, 02:36 PM   #57
Lady Ancalima
Pile O'Bones

Location: Born in Rivendell; living currenty in Minas Tirith.
Lady Ancalima has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Lady Ancalima
Sting

I cried the first time I saw it when Gandalf fell, and the second time I started, but my friend (who hadn't seen it yet) started laughing because my other friend gasped. Of course I just started balling until the end of the movie when Boromir fell. I don't know about you guys, but I cry every time I hear 'May it Be' because it is the perfect song for it and then it gets me to thinking about all of the books and all of the sad parts in it! (especially the end of the last book!)
Old 05-22-2002, 02:41 PM   #58
gollum*elf*pup
Shade of Carn Dûm

gollum*elf*pup has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

once when i saw it int theatres, i hears someone behiinnd me crying when gandalf "died" and that's the part where i clap.<BR>
Old 05-22-2002, 02:43 PM   #59
gollum*elf*pup
Shade of Carn Dûm

gollum*elf*pup has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

omg, sorry for my horrible spelling up there. but, i never cry when i see movies. never have i .<BR>
Old 09-01-2011, 09:42 PM   #60
sassyfriend
Wight

sassyfriend has just left Hobbiton.
I didn't cry but I was almost in tears when Boromir dies. That's one of my favorite scenes of Boromir and Aragorn.
sassyfriend is offline   Reply With Quote