User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-17-2003, 10:58 AM   #321
Arveleg
Pile O'Bones

Arveleg has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Thanks for the welcome everyone. I will try and get something up today, and Piosennel, I will also do as you suggested. Thanks again.
Old 09-17-2003, 12:55 PM   #322
Ealasaide
Shadow of Tyrn Gorthad

Ealasaide has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Looking forward to your post, Arveleg!

I also plan to have something up today for Kaldir.
Old 09-17-2003, 03:15 PM   #323
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

Hilde Bracegirdle has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Crikey Ealasaid! Does that mean Gilly should post? [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 09-17-2003, 03:22 PM   #324
Arveleg
Pile O'Bones

Arveleg has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

edit- sorry, I guess im not cut out for this.
To me it made sense since everyone left the Forsaken Inn in the morning, and everyone it seems is heading for Chetwood. It seemed that the other two rangers had the trail of Naiore and Vanwe well in hand. I guess that doesn't leave much for Hanasian to do but post something like, Hanasian followed the other two Rangers. I guess I will wait for Act 3 and post. Sorry to have muffed up the script.

[ September 17, 2003: Message edited by: Arveleg ]
Old 09-17-2003, 05:03 PM   #325
Ealasaide
Shadow of Tyrn Gorthad

Sting

Arveleg - nicely written post but you screwed me & Hilde up in a major kind of way. Hanasian is not supposed to confront Kaldir until the end of Act 3, if you look at the outline. We are currently in Act 2.

Right now, Hanasian & Maethor are supposed to be on Naiore's trail, moving toward Chetwood. Naiore & Vanwe are to the north of Benia & Gilly.

Here is the outline:
ACT 1: At the Forsaken Inn
Lespheria departs, leaving Amandur at the inn, where he remains in the hopes of finding out where Naiore is.

Naiore & Vanwe meet somewhere near the inn.

Kaldir captures Gilly, who is trying to rescue Benia.

Hanasian returns to the inn from Bree.

2 Shady Underworld Types arrive at the inn. (Or they may already be there -- writer‘s choice.)

2 New Rangers arrive at the inn, meeting Amandur and Hanasian.

ACT 2: Meetings & Departures
Kaldir returns to the woods, where he had earlier sensed an ominous presence, and discovers that it is indeed Naiore. He picks up her trail.

Naiore & Vanwe fall in together.

Hanasian & Amandur also learn of Naiore's presence by chance, intuition, or whispered rumor.

Having been intercepted and turned back by a messenger from her twin brother, Lespheria returns to the inn, where she rejoins Amandur.

Hanasian joins forces with the other two (as yet unnamed) Rangers.

Hearing somehow of Naiore’s presence, the Underworld Types decide to seek her out, leaving the inn before the others.

The rest of them depart (in separate groups) in pursuit of Naiore.

Gilly and Benia accompany Kaldir as his prisoners (sort of).

Act 3: Intrigue
Naiore & Vanwe take up with the two Shady Underworld Types

The Hunters & the Hunted all stalk each other a bit. There are run-ins & confrontations as Naiore attempts to take out her pursuers by whatever means she has at her disposal.

Gilly & Benia try to decide whether to assist Kaldir, escape from him, or attempt to redeem him.

Hanasian catches up with Kaldir.

Act 4: The Noose Tightens
With Rangers and bounty hunters closing in, Naiore changes her focus from killing the Rangers to pursuing Menecin, using any and all means to conceal her path.

The Rangers (all of them) and Lespheria ride together.

Shady characters start to realize Naiore may be setting them up for a fall and so plot against her.

Gilly & Benia manage to free themselves or Kaldir loosens his grip as he becomes increasingly focused on the hunt for Naiore.

Act 5: End Game
Naiore makes her attempt to kill Menecin. She fails & flees to the south, deserting Vanwe to her fate.

Naiore tries to take down anyone she can as she attempts to escape the closing trap.

The shady characters make their move against Naiore, either on their own or together.

Naiore is trapped somewhere near the Gladden Fields, where she is either captured or slain.

Also, before attacking other Major Characters, please clear it with the other writer either here or by PM before posting.

Also...Kaldir would not be caught by surprise like that. Be careful before taking him on. He is dangerous and would kill your character as soon as look at him if attacked like that.

[ September 17, 2003: Message edited by: Ealasaide ]
Old 09-17-2003, 06:30 PM   #326
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

Sting

Wow, Beautiful writing there Arveleg! Unfortunately, though, Benia doesn't have outside help at this stage, nice though it would be.

I will wait until tomorrow morning to see if I should post Gilly. It runs slightly counter to Arveleg's, so I didn't feel right posting it yet. Though Gilly's eye-sight isn't the best! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 09-17-2003, 07:00 PM   #327
Snowdog
Emperor of the South Pole

Snowdog is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Tolkien

Sorry it didn't work out. Arveleg was used to freestyle and was rather annoyed at the response he got. He said he remembered why he quit RP writing in the first place, "because the freestyle creative writing form was a thing of the past."

I posted a short bit writing out Hanasían from the story. My apologies.
Old 09-17-2003, 07:29 PM   #328
Ealasaide
Shadow of Tyrn Gorthad

Sting

Thanks, Snowdog. Sorry, everybody. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]
Old 09-17-2003, 08:14 PM   #329
Imladris
Tears of the Phoenix

Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

So does Maethor join Amandur and Rauthain now? This is so messy...no offense to anyone.

Old 09-17-2003, 08:57 PM   #330
Ealasaide
Shadow of Tyrn Gorthad

Sting

No offense taken, Imladris. It is messy. I should never have invited someone in, sight unseen, who was not familiar with the dynamic of the game, much less the protocols of the BD. My apologies.

Yes, Maethor will now be riding with Rhauthain & Amandur. I will have to check the previous posts, but I think you may be able to carry on with those two from where the game currently stands. (Later) Okay, I just checked. Maethor will have to ride a little to catch up with them, but you can take care of that with a sentence or two.

Again, My apologies. My bad. I am kind of new at this.

[ September 17, 2003: Message edited by: Ealasaide ]
Old 09-17-2003, 10:15 PM   #331
Imladris
Tears of the Phoenix

Tolkien

Elesaide, I was just going to apologize for my comment. I mean, you and Snowdog and the others thought up of this game and made it work and now this is happening! I had no right to complain. Bad me!

Okay, I think I'll take care of Maethor right now. This will sound pathetic, but I've missed him. [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Old 09-17-2003, 10:43 PM   #332
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Okay, my understanding is that Hanasian and his writer are permanently gone from the game.

Do you think you will be needing another Ranger character to come on board? Or can the present writers handle this absence - either by carrying on without Hanasian . . . or inventing an NCE that the other Rangers can use as needed . . . or someone picking up another secondary Ranger character (you all seem rather loaded down with characters at this point, however) . . . or do you want to look to recruiting someone to play a Ranger? (Which would work out best if you could find someone on the BD whose writing you liked and felt was compatible with yours and then invited them to read the game so far and see if they felt they could jump in.)

What do you all think would be best to do?
Old 09-18-2003, 02:58 AM   #333
Elora
Shade of Carn Dûm

Elora has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Firstly, apologies for my absence. It is owing to extenuating circumstances that cannot be avoided.

Presently, I can only offer brief discussion. I won't be posting for some days for my characters but I have not disappeared. I expect to be back in some fashion by Monday (board time).

As for the matter at hand, I had hoped to use the bond that was developing between Hanasian and Vanwe as leverage for when Vanwe decides to throw her lot in with the Dunedain later on in the RP.

I ask that, whatever you decide, some scope for that impetus for Vanwe be developed in some other way (be it with a new character, NCE or an existing character).

If you decide not to recruit another ranger and not create Hanasian as a NCE, I'll need to create a bond for Vanwe over the course of the RP with another existing character. Perhaps Maethor, as Vanwe is not quite so terrified of him as she is of Amadur.

I hope the above makes sense. I'm sorry I can't be of more help right now.

Arveleg I'm sorry I missed your arrival and the opportunity to extend my greetings. Seems the chance has well passed and you've left us. Sorry about that too.

Belated as this is, and likely pointless as I suspect you won't read this at this late stage, Mae Govannen and Namarie.
Characters: Rosmarin: Lady of Cardolan; Lochared: Vagabond of Dunland; Simra: Daughter of Khand; Naiore: Lady of the Sweet Swan; Menecin: Bard of the Singing Seas; Vanwe: Lost Maiden; Ronnan: Lord of Thieves; and, Uien of the Twilight
Old 09-18-2003, 04:18 AM   #334
Nerindel
Spirited Weaver of Fates

Nerindel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Nerindel Send a message via MSN to Nerindel Send a message via Yahoo to Nerindel
Sting

Ok,
I have been busy reading over Hanasíans Bio and his posts past and present and I think his character is to deeply involved in the plot to let him go, So if everyone agrees I will take over his character [gulp] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

But I will need the assistance of everyone else who is linked to this character, ie Benia, Vanwe and Naiore, ok [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] Thanks!

I will pick Snowdogs character up in bree, once everyone gets there,

The only flaw in my plan is my up coming absence, but I can write a forwarding post for Hanasían and PM it to one of my fellow Co-owners and they can edit it to fit with what is actually happening at the time (if you know what I mean?)

Snowdog if by any chance you get to see this do let me know if there is anything you think I should know about Hanasían.
Old 09-18-2003, 09:03 AM   #335
Ealasaide
Shadow of Tyrn Gorthad

Sting

Wonderful, Nerindel! Thanks for stepping into the breach. If Elora & Hilde are agreeable to that solution, I am all for it! Bravo!

As for your upcoming absense, it's really not that long of a time. We will able to work around it pretty easily. If you would like to post ahead for one or more of your characters, that's fine. Or, you can PM your posts to me. I would be happy to do any necessary edits & see that your post is placed on the thread for you at the appropriate time.

Elora - we've missed you, but we all understand "extenuating circumstances". Post when you can! We will look forward to seeing you back on a more regular basis after Monday.

A couple of questions - do you still intend to write your bad guy character, Barrold Ferney? If so, when & how will he be joining the story line? A thought: perhaps Everdawn's Avanill could meet up with him in Bree. Then the two of them can hook up with Naiore.

[ September 18, 2003: Message edited by: Ealasaide ]
Old 09-18-2003, 10:28 AM   #336
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

Sting

Of course Hilde is agreeable, she is delighted! Bless your heart Nerindel and many thanks!
Old 09-18-2003, 05:24 PM   #337
Imladris
Tears of the Phoenix

Tolkien

Ah, confusion strikes again (or it may be that blonde streak...whichever), but why is Naiore making for Bree? Why doesn't she just go and take Vanwe or whatever. Am I just being stupid? And if I am, let me ask some more questions that may be considered stupid:

Why is Vanwe such a threat Naiore?
Why is she so upset with Menecin?

I'm sorry...but these have been bugging me and if I missed the answers to these questions in the Discussion Thread, don't hesitate to slap some sense into my head. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Imladris

Old 09-18-2003, 05:28 PM   #338
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

A very quick note about Hanasian:

I received a PM from Snowdog. He would like the name of the Ranger changed, and I am supposing the Horse, also.

Nerindel - can you choose the names and can everyone please edit them into your posts (I'll do the ones under my name).

Thanks!

~~ Pio
Old 09-19-2003, 08:19 AM   #339
Ealasaide
Shadow of Tyrn Gorthad

Sting

Pio - thanks! Also, could you do the ones in Snowdog's posts, as well? I think he just mentions the horse by name, since he writes in the first person.

Nerindel - since we are changing names, I guess this leaves it open for you to change or elaborate on any aspect of the character bio you would like & make the character your own. Actually, I think this would be advisable, at least to a small degree.

Imladris - I think she is heading to Bree so that she can hook up with the other two bad guys. Then she will double back toward Rivendell once she hears about Menecin's presence there. As for your other questions, I think I will leave those for Elora to answer.

[ September 19, 2003: Message edited by: Ealasaide ]
Old 09-19-2003, 11:21 AM   #340
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Yes, I'll also do any changes needed in Snowdog's posts.
Old 09-19-2003, 08:32 PM   #341
Everdawn
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: On the sand dunes outside of Ilium, watching it burn.
Everdawn has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Ok well this shouldnt complicate things too much, sing Avanill hasnt begun his proper part in the game yet, but i am flying south to Sydney for 5 days so i wont be near a computer, i hope thats ok.

I will post so that Avanill is in Bree, ELORA If Naiore gets there in the time i am away, could you just put something in for Avanill? Thats only if you get to that stage, if not theres nothing to worry about. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

~My lord, Éomer~
Old 09-20-2003, 06:41 AM   #342
Nerindel
Spirited Weaver of Fates

Send a message via AIM to Nerindel Send a message via MSN to Nerindel Send a message via Yahoo to Nerindel
Sting

er! Do you know what you are asking by having me change Hanasian'a name???

If I change the name then I will have to change the history and the personality as these things are unique to Hanasían,then all Snowdogs posts will have to be edited, Essentually deleteing the Character from the rpg.

I know this is what Snowdog wanted me to do, But I'm sorry, In all good consciousness I can't do this, He took the time and effort to write this character and that should be recongnised!

I would rather see The character leave than delete him entirely [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]
I hope you all understand what I mean.

This can work two ways:

1/ Hanasian has left a note in bree, explaining his need to leave! (Something about his father, as this is the only thing I think would cause him to abondon the search for Naiore)?

2/Amandur meets another ranger who is to take Hanasian's place, as he is called away on another matter?

If you wish to have another Ranger replace Hanasian, I am quiet happy to write a bio for this character [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Sorry for being a pain [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]

Nerindel.
Old 09-20-2003, 08:33 AM   #343
Snowdog

Tolkien

I appreciate the sentiments Nerindel, and after carefully re-reading the whole RP, I see that changing the names will not really work without starting alot of other complications, not to mention alot of unnecessary work on everyones part. Since I, and everyone else had a bit of time to think, I pondered that which I am doing to all of you here, and again apologize. I want to make it easy to keep going, and the doubts can impede the creativity everyone in this Story has, so I propose for your consideration two alternatives to keep things flowing smoothly:
  • 1. Hanasían meets another Ranger he knows along the road to Bree and gives him the pouch & belt (forgot about this), and any information that he had, and this Ranger that Nerindel (or someone else) creates takes over, so the RP dynamic from this point will have him in it instead of Hanasían. I can post the exchange bewteen Hanasían and this Ranger, then Nerindel or if an NCE, anyone can write from there for this Ranger. This accomplishes two things. One is it effectively writes out Hanasían from the story without causing much, if any, problem with the back-story, and also introduces the other Ranger.
  • 2. Hanasían stays in the story as an NCE, which I am have mixed feelings about. I am somewhat loathe to do this as NCEs usually are handled with less care than one's own character, and I am afraid he would be made out as somewhat of a dolt. Hanasían is a character born out of an RP I was in for a couple years (He was born at the end of Shadow over Arnor, which has more the story of his father and mother in it) so I guess I am quite protective of him. On the other hand I am sort of interested to see what other people would come up with when provided his Character bio. Like I said... mixed feelings.
Either one of these two alternatives would make the transition much easier for everyone involved. Any thoughts/opinions?
Old 09-20-2003, 01:34 PM   #344
Imladris
Tears of the Phoenix

Tolkien

I hope nobody minds my two cent's worth, especially since I'm not a game owner, but I don't really think that you should have Hanasian as a NCE because Snowdog had several good reasons for not wanting that, and I think it would just seem kind of odd for readers of the game. It's like, you start getting to know the character, and suddenly he's just gone...disappeared as it were. Having him as an NCE would break the flow a lot more than just simply writing Hanasian off somewhere.

Old 09-21-2003, 05:26 AM   #345
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

Sting

I would opt for choice one as well, but I'm also not a game owner. Since Vanwe and Kaldir have more of a back story going on, Elora and Ealasaide should be the ones to decide it would seem. (Also Nerindel as she might wind up writing the character!)

[ September 21, 2003: Message edited by: Hilde Bracegirdle ]
Old 09-21-2003, 05:07 PM   #346
Elora
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

My, my, so much to respond to.

I'm not confortable with Hanasian as a NCE. SNowdog has put a great deal of work into developing that character and his history. Whilst we could perhaps approximate something in line with his creative vision for Hanasian, I doubt we could nail it as he could.

Knowing how attached I get to characters that I've created, I wouldn't like to contemplate writing someone else's as a NCE and muffing it up. So my opinion, for what it's worth, is that we arrange a passing of the torch from Hanasian to another character (passing on necessary info). This way, the story line can flow forward with this new evolution and Snowdog's Hanasian is not eroded by NCE activities.

Evolution and change is the lifeblood of collaborative writing, be they free form RP or planned ones such as this. Change is necessary. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

OK, here are the responses to questions:

1) What happens to Vanwe once Naiore abandons her?

Well, interesting question. Vanwe is abandoned by Naiore at Imladris, as she will send Vanwe in to do her dirty work and hence Vanwe will fall into the waiting net. What happens to her depends on whose hands she falls into. If she falls into Kaldir's, I cannot yet predict what comes to pass.

If she falls into the Dunedain's or Imladris', then she will face the gruelling process of learning the truth of her mother.

Regardless, the plot outline is clear enough that however this comes to pass, Vanwe learns the extent to which she has been betrayed by her own mother and sets off after her for a reckonning. Being the daughter of two formidible Noldor, she is something to contend with despite her habit of minimising and underestimating herself.

She'll either set out alone, fleeing Kaldir, or with those who set after Naiore from Imladris, all depending on the above.

2) [I]Where does fear actually spawn?[I]

This question of Naiore's is the root of much of her choice. She is, aside from all else, a philosopher. Her empathic senses detected an undercurrent of fear behind the culturally advanced and sophisicated facade of the Noldor. I chose fear based on my own exploration of the nature of primal motivations, instincts and so forth in my student days.

There is no defined answer to this riddle, hence Naiore fruitless search through all the years. Fear spawns in an unknowable place deep within us all. She cannot possibly extract it as it's interwoven throughout us. It cannot be measured or quantified. She's become a master at eliciting it, and detecting its presence. She can control it to a fine degree. But the essense of fear is unpredictable and wild.

So Naiore will never have her answer. All her choices will be in vain, all she sacrificed (and she gave up much to freely pursue this question of hers beyond the moral bounds of her restrictive, civilised, society where base emotions such as fear, lust, rage and love are tightly controlled). For all her intelligence and ability, Naiore made fundamental errors in judgement that reflect more of herself than that which she pursues.

3) [I]Do I still intent to write Barrold Ferney?[I]

Yes, I sure do. He'll join the RP at Bree. He has a safe house and an past acquaintance with Naiore Dannan. Naiore will make for Barrold immediately once she gains Bree. She'll be sending Barrold out to earn his extortionate gold. She'll want supplies, horses, poisons... so therein lies the opportunity for Barrold to encounter the other underworld figures for the people of Bree are justifiably reluctant to do business with Master Ferney.

4) [I]Why is Naiore making for Bree?[I]

Naiore is running low on key provisions. She's been on the run in the wild for quite some time. Her push north into the Shire has been foiled, and now the Dunedain are hot on her trail and she has a hostage to manage.

In short, Naiore is under some pressure for provisions, time to plan and a place to lay low for a while. She much prefers to pre-plan, being an analytical creature. So, Naiore is making for the only safe place she knows of in the North - Barrold Ferney's. Even that's not so safe, but she has means of keeping Ferney in some semblance of control.

She needs food, fresh horses, and she needs to replentish the stuff of her trade. Poison and toxins, hone her weapons, scout the land and draw up plans. That's why she's making for Bree.

Plus, it works well for the story as characters need a place to converge and meet up.

When I next post for my characters, it shall be nightfall and at Bree that I open at. So, if you have plans for your characters that occur prior to Bree or nightfall, let me know so I don't gazump you (as in, pull the story out from underneath you).
Characters: Rosmarin: Lady of Cardolan; Lochared: Vagabond of Dunland; Simra: Daughter of Khand; Naiore: Lady of the Sweet Swan; Menecin: Bard of the Singing Seas; Vanwe: Lost Maiden; Ronnan: Lord of Thieves; and, Uien of the Twilight
Old 09-21-2003, 06:44 PM   #347
Ealasaide
Shadow of Tyrn Gorthad

Sting

Okay...let me see if I have everything straight...

Nerindel will not be taking over Hanasian or changing his name? If that is the case, then we need to write Hanasian out of the story. I don't think it would work to use him as an NCE.
Whether we bring in another Ranger character or not really depends on whether Nerindel would like to write another Ranger. Frankly, as long as we can fill the holes in the plot that Hanasian leaves behind, I really don't think we need to add another Ranger...although another Ranger would be nice!

Here are the plot problems that arise with writing Hanasian out...
1) The growing sympathy between Vanwe and Hanasian. Perhaps we can work out a way for Maethor or a new Ranger to fill this gap.

2) The connection between Benia & Hanasian. This is not central to the plot & can be dropped. I can always come up with something else.

3) Vanwe's pouch. With a little editing, I think Hanasian can hand it over to Maethor or the new Ranger.

[ September 22, 2003: Message edited by: Ealasaide ]
Old 09-21-2003, 09:33 PM   #348
Snowdog

Tolkien

Since I had to agree with Imladris and Elora, I went ahead and wrote a post to pass the pouch to a Ranger. I used the name Dulrain, but if you wish another name for the NCE Ranger, then it will only be an edit if a couple spots in my post for Pio to do. This new NCE Ranger has allthe information that Hanasían knew for he told to the Rangerin their meeting, and he is now on his way to Bree and can arrive anytime anyone wants to write him in. Hanasían departs on his personal quest, and leaves the story with everything written beforehand still intact. I closed his part in the story and there will be no further posts from me. I think this was the simplist and easiest way to take care of this. I would like to wish all the writers Happy Writing, and I will miss interacting with you all.

Namarie,
Hanasían
Old 09-21-2003, 10:10 PM   #349
Ealasaide
Shadow of Tyrn Gorthad

Sting

Thanks, Snowdog! We will carry it forward from here. Happy trails!
Old 09-21-2003, 10:42 PM   #350
Ealasaide
Shadow of Tyrn Gorthad

Sting

Quote:
When I next post for my characters, it shall be nightfall and at Bree that I open at. So, if you have plans for your characters that occur prior to Bree or nightfall, let me know so I don't gazump you (as in, pull the story out from underneath you).
Elora, can you hold off until I get one more post up for Kaldir? I just need for him to round up Gilly & Benia once & for all, then find Naiore's trail.
Old 09-22-2003, 01:40 AM   #351
Elora
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

That I most certainly can do Ealasaide. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Snowdog, may Illuvator guide your path and smile upon your days. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-22-2003, 09:52 AM   #352
Imladris
Tears of the Phoenix

Tolkien

Thanks for the clarification, Elora. It's just that I'm one of those writers who like to have a reason for everything (hence some problems with writer's block) and I knew that the Bree and all was so that everything would come nicely together and all, but I wanted to know why Naiore was making for Bree, which you have just explained. My thanks. Rotten sentence. No time to fix. Sorry.

Old 09-23-2003, 01:13 PM   #353
Ealasaide
Shadow of Tyrn Gorthad

Thumbs up

Okay, Elora, I have posted with Kaldir. You may move ahead into the next day & Bree. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-23-2003, 05:00 PM   #354
Elora
Shade of Carn Dûm

Silmaril

Shall do, Ealasaide. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Imladris, pleased I was able to help. Nothing wrong with asking questions. I am known to do the same from occassion to occassion myself. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 09-23-2003, 07:57 PM   #355
Nerindel
Spirited Weaver of Fates

Sting

Hey, all

I had hoped to post for both Amandur and Léspheria before I left, but there just hasn't been that time! sorry [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]

Imaldris and Hildeif you what you can rejoin Amandur in the prancing pony and have him introduce Dúlrain and I will edit their (Amanadur & Dúlrain) meeting in front of Léspheria's when I return [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] Also Lespheria has entered the prancing pony and will tell the rangers that she sensed her nearby.

EloraI hope I was right in thinking that Naiore would feel when another was sensing her mind [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Anyway I have to get some sleep before we leave [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img] cyas Tuesday [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Happy writing
~Nerindel
Old 09-23-2003, 08:29 PM   #356
Ealasaide
Shadow of Tyrn Gorthad

Sting

ummm... I have question. I thought Kaldir was ahead of the other Rangers, but Nerindel's post has him behind them. One of us needs to do an edit.
Where are the Rangers?????

Since Kaldir had taken off well before the others, even what with Benia & Gilly, I had really pictured him as being ahead of the others.

[ September 23, 2003: Message edited by: Ealasaide ]
Old 09-23-2003, 08:39 PM   #357
Elora
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

Ah curses, I had hoped to avoid gazumping you Nerindel and have ended up doing it all the same. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] My apologies!

You are correct that Naiore would sense another reaching for her. She doesn't read thoughts but is remarkably sensative to the emotions of others (a variation on Galadriel's abilities, to whom Naiore is related as is of course Vanwe). Vanwe's abilities could be developed in any number of ways.

That's why Naiore is concerned about Vanwe. Her daughter may use abilities inherited from her mother and kin to bring about Naiore's demise. In fact, Vanwe's abilities are largely undeveloped, a calculated consequence of leaving her with those unskilled in such Elven crafts (the Harardrim). They tend are healing, though, and take an artistic path. Can't forget her father is a Bard, and so she would also have a love of language and song.

I imagine that based on this, Vanwe will prove adept at learning languages. She presently only has Common Tongue, with limited literacy and numeracy. But she needs none of these things to heal.

Imladris and Everdawn I will be sending Barrold out on his errands for Naiore on the following day. I expect him to be searching for horses, poisons and of course, information.

My plan was for Barrold to inform Naiore that Menecin yet lived, and is at Imladris. Barrold being Barrold, it's unlikely he'd come across that tidbit or even know it's value, by fratenising with Rangers and Elves.

So, I figured that perhaps Barrold would get this from one of your characters in his interaction with them. They'd know that Barrold was in the market for some items that they'd make a tidy profit on and things could unfold from there.

Based on that, your characters get their introduction to Naiore and the chance to get a cut of the action/profits through Barrold.

Imladris, I realised that I have still left one of your questions unanswered. You asked why Naiore hates Menecin.

Their relationship is a complicated and tangled one. Naiore once loved him, as far as she left herself that is. She's a tightly controlled creature, and to truly love means to let go and open yourself. I doubt if she ever truly did that ever, even in the early days.

At first, Naiore would have hated what Menecin represented. Marriage to him would for Naiore mean capture, imprisionment. She would have felt contempt for his apparent blindness to the things she saw. She would have found his love a weakness, a thing to cloy her mind and life.

Menecin, though, loves with all he has. He is a creature of depth in emotion and mind. It was Naiore's unusual nature that drew him to her. She was like a muse, and the relationship developed to be more. When she left, he was devastated. Menecin was one of the most vocal who thought she had been taken.

He pursued her, hoping to somehow save her. He did not know he was attempting the impossible, to save her from herself, because he did not see into the depths of her heart. Naiore never let him. Menecin became driven, hunting her trail, refusing to believe the rumours until the disaster of the Gladden Fields.

When Naiore once again became known to her people, and this time as their foe, it became harder for Menecin to ignore the truth. Still, he claimed that she was in thrall. He had seen those in thrall to Morgoth in the First Age. He watched their torment, rejected by their people should they survive to escape. He loved Naiore despite all this and refused to abandon her to a smiliar fate.

The woman Menecin loved was a lie, but he did not know it yet. He pursued her doggedly through the years and the hunt took a terrible toll on his spirit. He changed, became dark and brooding. At times bitterly angry and others stricken by grief, Naiore became an obsession. He never knew how close he came to tripping her up over the years.

Eventually, Naiore turned to her past to deal with Menecin. He was, in a way, her first victim. His long deterioration and hopless quest was one cruel torture. He represented all Naiore thought she had risen above. She abandoned Sauron's service for a time to see to her own needs. Displeased, Sauron allowed this once he knew what his servant was doing. One Elf destroying another suited him fine.

Naiore set up Menecin so that he found her at last in a desolate place in the wilds. She had him fall on a raggle taggle band of orcs that she feigned had been tormenting her. Menecin was a fell creature. Fuelled by the discovery of his love, he fought as though he were possessed.

Naiore allowed him to slay the orcs and began perhaps her most terrible Ravenning ever. She allowed Menecin to think her saved at long last. She gulled him and Menecin was only too willing to believe. He had his love back once more. For Naiore, she was curious to see how far she could push love, how it worked. When she tired of her game, she attacked Menecin.

Her violence was viscious. Unlike occassions before, she was moved by personal passions that ran deep. This was no task appointed to her. This was her own. Menecin was too much of a hindrance that may trip her up at an inconvenient time. He was baggage when all was said and done. She thought she had disposed of him accordingly.

Menecin survived, barely. Naiore moved on, free of her past and believing that a glorious future awaited from her. That Menecin did not die will represent a personal failure for Naiore. That will not be acceptable. She'll further think that Menecin is in cohoots with Vanwe and thinks to use their daughter against her.

Menecin is quite mad, but even so would never match the depths to which Naiore will sink in order to see her will done.

So, for all those reasons, Naiore will hate Menecin with an implacable passion for he represents weakness and a past she would deny, as well as failure. Menecin's existance threatens to make all Naiore has worked for and all she believes in a lie. For he loves still, as much as he hates her now. Love cannot exist if fear is the root of all existance, all emotion, thought and action.
Old 09-24-2003, 04:30 AM   #358
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

Sting

Quote:
I thought Kaldir was ahead of the other Rangers, but Nerindel's post has him behind them. One of us needs to do an edit.
Where are the Rangers?????
I had the impression he was behind also, since the rangers were traveling through the Chetwood after Naiore & Vanwe while Kaldir was dealing with Benia & Gilly. I suppose that when Kaldir found the tracks they could be changed to read, “exiting the forest” instead of “entering the forest” which to my mind would place Kaldir after Amandur & Dúlrain in reaching Bree, but likely a little before Maethor & Rauthain, if it aright with everyone. With the nightfall and Rauthain’s delaying until there are more rangers, I can see them stopping close by Bree, perhaps with Maethor going ahead to the Prancing Pony to contact the others. I also was wondering about how to avoid Rauthain and Kaldir meeting up just yet. It doesn’t seem the right time. Or is it? Kaldir’s got a lot going on at present, and Rauthain would no doubt be irked to find he’d put shackles on a lady!

Elora, it is rather funny timing, your writing about Menecin and Naiore here. Yesterday I was working on a post I was trying to put up before you had a chance to change the time, and it mentioned their strange relationship. Needless to say I didn’t finish it before you posted, but I hope to get it cleaned up and tweaked before Imladris has a chance to go. I’m relieved to find it echoes quite a bit of what you have written here.

And Imladris, thanks for mentioning Naiore and Kaldir again. Hopefully Rauthain will out with at least some of his back story and knowledge! If his writer will stop typing here and get to work! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 09-24-2003, 08:20 AM   #359
Ealasaide
Shadow of Tyrn Gorthad

Sting

I am totally confused. I can't have the tracks exiting the forest because he is on the east side of the forest. If the tracks are exiting, then Naiore would be heading east & away from Bree.

All this talk about the Rangers in the forest...I thought you were still back in the forest around the inn! The business with Gilly and Benia wouldn't take more than about 30 minutes, tops. Also, how could Kaldir have seen Naiore & Vanwe if the Rangers were already ahead of him? That would put the Rangers ahead of Naiore as well. Oh, this stinks.

I will rewrite my post & try to find a way for it to work. Actually, I'll have to rework my last two posts.

Hilde - as for putting shackles on a woman...Kaldir isn't too fond of doing that either but since she sawed through the ropes he put on her earlier, he had to do something.

[ September 24, 2003: Message edited by: Ealasaide ]
Old 09-24-2003, 10:39 AM   #360
Imladris
Tears of the Phoenix

Tolkien

Your welcome, Hilde, for mentioning Naiore and Kaldir. Maethor can't really decide what to feel about them. He is loathe to believe the tales of Naiore (yet he knows they are true) and he feels sympathy for Kaldir, yet he can't stand that he has turned to bounty hunting. Maethor also wouldn't mind running on ahead to the Prancing Pony whenever they reach Bree...