The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-17-2007, 08:27 AM   #1
Lalwendė
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Pipe Ted Nasmith Uncredited?

I found an interesting website yesterday and now I see some conversation has turned to discussing the role of the artists involved in bringing Jackson's films to life. So you may find this interesting: http://tednasmith.narod.ru/

The thrust of this website is that when Jackson was commissioning artists for the film, he approached Alan Lee, John Howe and Ted Nasmith as he felt a good way of ensuring 'authenticity' was to tap into imagery fans had already grown to know over the years. Ted could not, unfortunately, get involved - and the rest is history what with Alan Lee getting an Oscar etc. Lee and Howe are credited on the films but Nasmith is not.

However, on this guy's website, you'll see that there are some startling similarities between some of Nasmith's artwork and some of the scenes in the films. Nasmith has not, to my knowledge, raised any fuss over this, and nor do I want to.

But see what you think. Is it simply the case that most illustrators and artists tap into similar veins of inspiration?

If anything, the work of the artists on the films was as important as the work of anyone else. Why don't they get more credit? I know Alan Lee for one is a very modest and quiet man, he doesn't even have his own website; but had he chosen to stay hidden in the wilds of Dartmoor, those films would have looked very different, far too garish I suspect.