The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > The Barrow-Downs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-12-2006, 09:28 PM   #1
Mänwe
Shade of Carn Dûm

Mänwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Mänwe
Tolkien Late Nighter's.

Well as I sit here at 3:45am in dark and cold Newcastle, my mind reverts to the "You know when you are addicted to the Barrow-Downs when..." thread, in particular to the comment where members end up watching the "Who's online" page.

Well I think I am turning into one of them...I can't seem to log off. That and the thought of missing a good thread.

I was wondering if there were any others out there who are in the same situation, finding themselves online till late. This thread for me is rather like the "Late Night Bus" here for students who find themselves out past the closing time of public transport after a particularly heavy night and in need of a lift home!

Ahh what we would do without the "Late Night Bus"...although you have to find your way back to the Union first...

[Later Edit]
Note I would be out with them if it were not for a fencing farsity match tomorrow, I mean today. I've signed a "no-alcohol policy" before matches....something bought in by those pesky "New Shire" representatives I'm guessing! Blast
them!

That and revision is upon us students, the holy hours of "cramming" have begun. So while I write and read fantastic threads, I revise.

Or if you are not a "Late Nighter" then please, keep me and any other late nighters company...
- (Letter #124 To Sir Stanley Unwin)

Last edited by Mänwe; 12-12-2006 at 10:18 PM.
Mänwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 09:52 PM   #2
Mänwe
Shade of Carn Dûm

Mänwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Mänwe
Tolkien

Indeed since I wrote this post, I've been quite disconcerted by the amount of time Jenny seems to have spent viewing this thread....of course I am honoured.

(However the above proves that there really needs to be a "Who's Watching" option.)
- (Letter #124 To Sir Stanley Unwin)
Mänwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 12:55 AM   #3
Farael
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: In hospitals, call rooms and (rarely) my apartment.
Farael has just left Hobbiton.
Well, it being 1 32 AM I think I qualify for this thread.

The only problem is that, according to my calculations, it should be 7 35 AM in England, and perhaps any English early-birds might be around... furthermore, it should be an hour later in Germany (right?) that means that some of our German downers that go to work early in the morning....

And that's why one can come to the 'downs at any hour and find someone around... we are all over the place!!

Yet, in my case, I'm afraid that I didn't stay up 'downing... I stayed up studying Biochemistry. But of course, before heading to bed, I just had to check the downs.

Good night everyone, and good morning for those of you in other timezones... Farael's late-night bus is doing its last run, straight to bed. With a quick stop at the bathroom I guess
Old 12-13-2006, 01:06 AM   #4
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
I must admit, every night I'm on the Barrow Downs until the wee hours of the morning. This is mostly because I'm in the middle of doing schoolwork- I use the Downs to take a break and as a further excuse to procrastinate. Like right now, it's 2:45am and I still have two papers to write. Though, on weekends I sometimes stay on the Barrow Downs late to write posts for the RPG I'm in. As a perfectionist, it takes me hours to write those things, so I'm usually up until 3 or 4 in the morning.

Okay, I really should get back to work...
Old 12-13-2006, 07:17 AM   #5
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Sometimes when insomnia hits, I'll fire up the beast and come to BD to read a few threads.

Oh dear. I hope that doesn't mean I expect threads here to be soporific.
Old 12-13-2006, 08:25 AM   #6
Lush
Fair and Cold

Lush is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to Lush Send a message via AIM to Lush Send a message via Yahoo to Lush
Boots

I used to be quite the night owl... And then I ruined everything by getting a job.