The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-06-2004, 09:17 PM   #1
Mad Baggins
Shade of Carn Dűm

Location: A place where after thunder golden showers come falling like a rain of flowers.
Mad Baggins has just left Hobbiton.
Frustrated

As a teenage girl, I pride myself on loving LotR for the literature and the beautiful storyline. I was at camp and my instructor had posters on his walls that he gave to his students at the end of the summer. There was a Legolas poster that I decided would be nice for my collection, so I called dibs on it. Immediately the guys in my class began hassling me about how hot Legolas was. No matter how many times I insisted that I wanted it because I loved LotR, they kept bugging me. I detest being stuck in with the stereotypical 'Leggybopper'.

Have any other girls out there experienced something like this? How did you handle it?
Old 09-07-2004, 08:42 AM   #2
Witch_Queen
Shade of Carn Dűm

Witch_Queen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Witch_Queen Send a message via MSN to Witch_Queen Send a message via Yahoo to Witch_Queen
Mad Baggins,

I too know how you feel. After all I have a binder totally dedicated to LOTR. Yet because the cover is Legolas, everyone that sees it imediately believes I am infatuated with the blonde elf. Don't worry it will pass. That is unless you are the only person that likes LOTR around you. My father tells me that Legolas is a girl, but after many hours of arguements he finally gave in.

I just sat back and let it ride. I did nothing else to make my father or anyone else around me believe I was a 'Leggybopper'. After a while I figured out that if you let them know it doesn't bother you then it will stop.
Old 09-07-2004, 08:46 AM   #3
ninlaith
Wight

ninlaith has just left Hobbiton.
I know exactly how you feel. Apparently I'm known for doing a pretty good gollum impression and every time I meet new people and they know that I can do an impression they're always pestering me to do it do it. I've had to do it sooo many times it's just not fun anymore. It used to be something special that i could do but now it's just a worn out expression.
Old 09-07-2004, 10:12 AM   #4
Lady Gamgee
Animated Skeleton

Lady Gamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

I understand where y'all are coming from. Although I haven't had it happen to me personally, because everyone knows Sam is my fav. (evidently to some people , he's not handsome enough in the movies for me to end up in the stereotype pool for liking him), I know others who have had this problem. Sure, there are those who "love" LotR because of Orlando being, what they call, a hottie or whatever. But for those of us who truly love LotR, we can get stuck in that stereotype of jumping on the bandwagon & liking a character because of his looks. Sure, some of 'em are nice to look at obviously, but it goes way beyond that if you're a real fan. Anyhow, I know how y'all feel, and like Witch_Queen said, it will pass. Ignore 'em long enough and they'll leave you alone.
Old 09-07-2004, 10:22 AM   #5
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Boots Writing yourself out of a Lego bag

I created Orlando L'oréal Bloom for the Revenge of the Entish Bow RPG here on the Downs. That was so satisfying!
Old 09-07-2004, 10:59 AM   #6
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
I think the quickest fix is to ask them some scholarly questions about the First or Second age, or the Age of the Trees.
Old 09-07-2004, 11:31 AM   #7
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

Encaitare is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Yes, some people, knowing that I love LotR, bought me these Legolas posters and things. This is not necessarily a bad thing, since my basement is now far more beautiful than it was before. However I hate being fit into that sort of stereotype -- since we're teenage girls who love LotR, we're automatically supposed to squeal whenever we see "Orli."

I think an excellent way to counter it is to explain that Legolas most probably had dark hair, and PJ got it all wrong.
Encaitare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2004, 01:52 PM   #8
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Mad Baggins, boys always love to wind up girls about things like that! I had it many a time when I was at school, usually over the bands I was into, and the best thing was just to play along with it in an exaggerated, sarcastic fashion. It's funny though, I have more than a few middle-aged female colleagues who have swooning sessions over various famous men, including Orlando, and quite a few of them have their desks surrounded by posters and clippings of their favourites. I limit myself to one Johnny Depp picture and tut at all this girlishness.
Lalwendë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2004, 05:05 PM   #9
Gil-Galad
Psyche of Prince Immortal

Location: Above a Parapet Obvious exits are: North, South, and Dennis
Gil-Galad has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via MSN to Gil-Galad
Though "leggyboppers" can be really fun, though i am a guy, i naturally tried to confuse most leggyboppers in my class, like when RotK was coming out, i told all the legolas girls that legolas dies, it was great evil fun while it lasted...
Old 09-07-2004, 08:05 PM   #10
Elennar Starfire
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Elennar Starfire has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Elennar Starfire
Alas, I know too well what you speak of. I said my favourite movies are LotR and Pirates, and was immediately accused of only caring that Orlando Bloom's in them. So? They're good movies! I scared them off though...shouting random Elvish curses mixed with a little Gaelic and Japanese works rather well...
Old 09-08-2004, 09:49 AM   #11
Sapphire_Flame
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sapphire_Flame has just left Hobbiton.
White Tree

*sighs* I hate being accused of being a Leggie-bopper. Though, considering how much Silm and UT info I spew at random moments, it's a wonder the accusation is made as much as it is. For example, in my seminary class, we were discussing something about a book of scripture being written in Egyptian script but with Hebrew grammer rules; I of course brought up the issues I've had trying to explain how something can be written in Tengwar and English (or Sindarin, or...). Very effective.

Or, you can just beat them over the head with your copy of Silm. *shrugs*

Abedithon le,

~ Saphy ~
Old 09-08-2004, 10:39 AM   #12
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

Fordim Hedgethistle has been trapped in the Barrow!
I love this little support group you've all founded. It should have an official name:

No Lego?

Leggy Bopper's Anonymous?

Lord of the Rings not Leggy?

Operation Orlie Go Home?

The really unfair thing is that I have an Arwen screen saver on my laptop (Liv Tyler *unprofessorial leer*) but nobody has once accused me of being an Arwenatic, Liv Lover or Tyler Groupie.

I also have to pay less for my haircuts, even though my hair is longer than some women's. The unfairness grows.
Old 09-08-2004, 12:01 PM   #13
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Gil-Galad
Quote:
when RotK was coming out, i told all the legolas girls that legolas dies
Yes, I remember; I walked around chuckling about that for a few days.

Quote:
No Lego?
Rather than focusing on the negative...

"Tolkien Purists, BD Branch, ## Years"

...where ## refers to the number of years since you first read the trilogy.

Then we have three natural sub-branches:
Coming Of Age, Under-Age, and Middle-Age.

I'll leave it to lindil to define, organize, and head up the 'HoME Fellowship.'
Old 09-08-2004, 12:54 PM   #14
tar-ancalime
Shade of Carn Dűm

tar-ancalime has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
I also have to pay less for my haircuts, even though my hair is longer than some women's. The unfairness grows.
Well, you don't have to gloat about it!
Old 09-08-2004, 02:19 PM   #15
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Fordim, surely being called a 'Tyler Groupie' would have two meanings - are you sure you would want to be accused of swooning over the lead singer of Aerosmith?

And anyway, life's not all unfair - I never have to pay anything for a haircut as I simply don't get it cut at all.
Old 09-08-2004, 02:22 PM   #16
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalwendë
Fordim, surely being called a 'Tyler Groupie' would have two meanings - are you sure you would want to be accused of swooning over the lead singer of Aerosmith?
Potentially Embarassing Admission Time: Whereas the monicker "Tyler Groupie" may be inaccurately applied to me in relation to Liv, it is not without justice applied to me in relation to Steve.

THE SMITH!!

*Fordim makes rock-on sign with both hands and jumps into the mosh pit*
Old 09-08-2004, 04:36 PM   #17
Gil-Galad

yeah i remember telling thaty story here before... *looks a fordim and shakes head in dishonorment*
Old 09-08-2004, 05:14 PM   #18
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Boots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Baggins
There was a Legolas poster that I decided would be nice for my collection, so I called dibs on it.
Collection of what? Orlando Bloom posters?

Of course, if you don't want to be labelled a "Leggybopper", you could always go for the Wormtongue poster ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordim Hedgethistle
Whereas the monicker "Tyler Groupie" may be inaccurately applied to me in relation to Liv, it is not without justice applied to me in relation to Steve.
... just .
Old 09-08-2004, 08:56 PM   #19
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

Quote:
Of course, if you don't want to be labelled a "Leggybopper", you could always go for the Wormtongue poster ...
I would if they made 'em, but noooo, only the pretty people get put on the posters. Yeah, I'm a Grima fangirl... what can I say? He may be ugly and traitorous, but he's a smooth talker! As opposed to Leggy; all looks and no brains...
Old 09-08-2004, 10:52 PM   #20
Imladris
Tears of the Phoenix

Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

*pops in real quick* It's not Orlando's fault that his character was dumbed down (which I don't think it was but whatever). Elves are beautiful. That's all there is to it.

When people tease you that you're a Leggy bopper, just ignore them. If you get upset about it, they'll tease you just to get a rise out of you.

As for only pretty people who get put on posters, I don't think anybody can beat these guys... Though I could have sworn I saw a Grima poster somewhere...though I did find this

Last edited by Imladris; 09-08-2004 at 10:58 PM.
Imladris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004, 12:20 PM   #21
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

I'm having scary visions of Fordim hanging around security at an Aerosmith show and begging them for a laminate so he can go backstage and 'meet the band'...

I've got a Saruman poster hanging right above my PC - not pretty at all. Now, surely this can't be called 'girlie'? Well, apart from Christopher Lee's false nails...

A delightfully eccentric friend of mine has a rather bizarre fan-lady thing for Gollum. I bought her a postcard of him and she said 'Oh, I wish he was real. I want to marry Gollum'. Now, I think Gollum may be one of my favourite characters, but....
Old 09-09-2004, 03:18 PM   #22
Mad Baggins
Shade of Carn Dűm

Location: A place where after thunder golden showers come falling like a rain of flowers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saucepan Man
Collection of what? Orlando Bloom posters?
Of course not. My collection of amazingly studlike movie star posters that I kiss every night before I go to bed.
Old 09-09-2004, 03:59 PM   #23
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalwendë
I'm having scary visions of Fordim hanging around security at an Aerosmith show and begging them for a laminate so he can go backstage and 'meet the band'...
I'm not so far gone that I would seek to become a full-blown groupie for The Smith.

Now KISS, on the other hand. . .

*Fordim paints his face, puts on his dragon teeth boots, sticks out his preternaturally large tongue, spits blood, makes the rock on sign with both hands and dives into the mosh pit screaming:*

"YOU WANTED THE BEST. YOU'VE GOT THE BEST. THE HOTTEST ROCK AND ROLL BAND IN THE WORLD!!!!!"
Old 09-09-2004, 05:08 PM   #24
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Well I am at college, so I didn't bring any of my posters because of this exact reason. I do though have a ton of little LOTR things that I brought with me (bookmarks, pins, keychain, lanyard, etc.).

But I completely understand what all the other young girls on this board have been going through. In some ways the LOTR has been hijacked by the people who went straight from Titanic, to boybands, to LOTR. So thus all of us who are not those type of people, who are the people who enjoy the films, but are primarly into the books are instantly being labeled. And, yes, this does make me angry (well maybe not that angry)

But, yes, just ignore them. Whip out your copy of the Sil and just walk away
Old 09-09-2004, 08:18 PM   #25
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Fordie, the ultimate KISS Mary-Sue Fangirl. I heard him squeal, I did.
Old 09-09-2004, 08:38 PM   #26
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

Well, at least the polystone bust business is fair! Yay for small Grima statues! And yes, the orc poster is worse...

Quote:
It's not Orlando's fault that his character was dumbed down (which I don't think it was but whatever). Elves are beautiful. That's all there is to it.
Yes, I've been thinking about this and all I can say is "Poor book-Legolas." He was not all that important, but I love the part in which he "goes to find the sun." Book-Legolas is deadly, elegant, and thinks rather a bit too highly of himself. We should start a support group for poor neglected Book-Legolas.
Old 09-10-2004, 03:20 PM   #27
Mad Baggins
Shade of Carn Dűm

The awesome thing would be that if we did that, there would be no girly fangirl-types squealing about how hot he is, because he doesn't have a face! Well...I'm sure he does, but they don't know what it looks like.
Old 09-10-2004, 03:37 PM   #28
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

Indeed, MadBaggins! Then we could go all fangirl on Book-Legolas and squeal, "He goes to find the sun! How hot is that?? Squeeeee!"

Just like that.
Old 09-10-2004, 07:45 PM   #29
Pyroclastic
Haunting Spirit

Pyroclastic has just left Hobbiton.
Thumbs up Proud To Be a Faramir Fan

Going to find the sun is a unique wish, and one to which I can not relate, as I hate mornings. *Grumbles about getting up early for class...* I can however relate to the poster refrain due to possible persecution. I make do with a lovely Middle Earth Map, it's an excellent compromise which shows support without particular affiliation; and besides that I can't find a Faramir poster. Never feel bad about your favorite character. Faramir was my favorite character in the book because he's the person I most related to. If anyone relates most to Legolas, good for you! He a fine person, why not respect him? And if that character happens to have attractive physical traits, well gee, that's just too bad.

Flames For All! ~Pyro~
Old 10-10-2004, 02:17 AM   #30
yavanna II

yavanna II has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil-Galad
Though "leggyboppers" can be really fun, though i am a guy, i naturally tried to confuse most leggyboppers in my class, like when RotK was coming out, i told all the legolas girls that legolas dies, it was great evil fun while it lasted...
Oh my gosh, you did that? I could've killed you if I weren't a TOlkienist.....

oh but I gave my best friend a CD which I promised to be full of Legolas pics but it really contained orc & gollum pix! It was fun seeing her like that.... Mind ya, she didn't talk to me for a month.

Last edited by yavanna II; 10-10-2004 at 02:23 AM.
yavanna II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2004, 07:05 AM   #31
Gil-Galad

they only liked the movies for Legolas, and i think Frodo... well why would you kill the ever-loveable Gil-Galad? its good to have evil fun...
Old 10-13-2004, 04:04 PM   #32
Nimrodel_9
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Nimrodel_9 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Nimrodel_9
Eye grumble grumble...

I hate when people do that to me! I was wearing my Strider shirt one day and there were these guys that were like, ooo you must have a crush on the creepy old guy! I practically attacked them. I told them, as a matter of fact, I DO have a crush on him! And he is not creepy, nor very old when your an elf.
A week later I was wearing my Frodo and Sam shirt, and the same guys accused me of having a crush on the short, ugly dudes, and said I was cheating on the creepy old guy. Again, I attacked them, insulting them in Sindarin. Yes, I do have a crush on them and they are not ugly! I went away muttering in my Gollum voice, and they now think I am crazier than ever.
Quote:
they only liked the movies for Legolas, and i think Frodo
Grrr! I can`t stand that, but I get it all the time. I`ve had someone tell me that the movie would be nothing without Leglas. It made me so angry that I didn`t even stop to tell them that it was Legolas not Leglas. Personally I like Legolas, but not just for his looks. Alright, I`ve gone on long enough! I`ll stop now.
Old 10-13-2004, 06:26 PM   #33
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

Bah hah! I have a crush on a creepy old guy too! Go Grima! ::waves G flag::
Old 10-17-2004, 03:10 AM   #34
yavanna II

yavanna II has just left Hobbiton.
I'm proud to say that I've a crush on a very cute guy, not some old creeper.... [waves Legolas banner]
yavanna II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2004, 02:10 PM   #35
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
the movie would be nothing without Leglas
Amen! GO NOTHINGNESS!

I am well-known at work, home and the web for being an Orli hater, and even (dare I say it) a leggy-basher. It's fun.
A few people (all males) have tried to tell me how "cool" he is, and sure, there are cool stunts, but it's his FACE and ATTITUDE that really just make me want to... to...[POST CENSORED].

Annnyway...I just write leggy-bashing fics, and that makes it allll better.

ttfn

Oddwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2004, 12:19 AM   #36
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Lhunardawen has been trapped in the Barrow!
Silmaril

My brother Nilpy Felagund once (or maybe he still does...behind my back ) accused me of being a Leggybopper when I ranted about the fact that I wasn't able to watch PotC. Hey, listening to you BDers talk about the movie and create crazy captions related to it was enticing enough! I had to live with the distance created by my ignorance about the Black Pearl for so long...and it was a nightmare while it lasted.

Well, maybe I was once indeed a Leggybopper...but a Halfelven Queen can change, can't she? Besides, I am forever loyal to the man behind the sheepish grin. *sheepish grin *

I guess it's best for me to try composing my CbC post for the latest chapter instead...if Nilp would lend me the book!

*walks away, muttering Elvish curses*
Lhunardawen is offline   Reply With Quote