The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-04-2002, 06:19 PM   #1
Lothiriel Silmarien
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Lothiriel Silmarien has just left Hobbiton.
Sting Biggest Heroes in The Lord of the Rings and The Silmarillion

Who are the biggest heroes in the books? What would happen if they were never written in?
Lothiriel Silmarien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2002, 07:29 PM   #2
Arwen Imladris
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arwen Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I personally think that Frodo is the biggest hero of the Lord of the Rings. In the Hobbit I would actually say Bard because he was the one who killed the dragon. It is kind of unfair to just pick one hero, most of the characters in the books were important. It would have been O.K. if different people had done different jobs, for example, if Pippin had stayed with Theoden and Merry had gone to Minas Tirith, it would not have changed the story line.
Old 04-04-2002, 11:32 PM   #3
Tigerlily Gamgee
Hostess of Spirits

Tigerlily Gamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Tigerlily Gamgee
Silmaril

I think that almost everyone in LOTR played the role of the hero at one point or another. It's hard to choose, though I must say that Frodo and Aragorn had the toughest jobs.
Tigerlily Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2002, 05:10 PM   #4
Lomelinde
Haunting Spirit

Lomelinde has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Don't forget the often overlooked Samwise Gamgee in the LOTR. If it weren't for him,the ring probably wouldn't have been destroyed. He was a source of strength and courage for Frodo when the odds began to seem insurmountable, and carried Frodo several times, literally and figuratively.He was a wellspring of hope and a voice of reason in a dark, irrational place.Let's face it- no Sam, no ultimate obliteration of evil. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Also, remember Turin Turambar. Although he was more of a tragic hero, and his life was one big ill-fated mess, he remained noble throughout and retained his dignity, always attempting to overcome his foibles and inner demons, even though he never did.
Old 04-05-2002, 05:26 PM   #5
Elven-Maiden
Shade of Carn Dûm

Elven-Maiden has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Here's my list
-Frodo
-Sam
-Gollum (yes, Gollum)
-Luthien
-Beren
-Bilbo
-Gandalf
-Bard
-Aragorn
-Faramir

Mobilis in Mobile
Elven-Maiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2002, 09:52 PM   #6
Eowyn of Ithilien
Shade of Carn Dûm

Eowyn of Ithilien has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Finrod Felagund
But of bliss and glad life there is little to be said, before it ends; as works fair and wonderful, while still they endure for eyes to see, are their own record, and only when they are in peril or broken for ever do they pass into song.
Eowyn of Ithilien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2002, 09:54 PM   #7
Vinyacairwen
Pile O'Bones

Vinyacairwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Vinyacairwen
Sting

Frodo, Sam, Aragorn, and Gandalf ^^.
Old 04-05-2002, 11:59 PM   #8
Tigerlily Gamgee
Hostess of Spirits

Tigerlily Gamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Tigerlily Gamgee
Silmaril

Shame on me for not mentioning Samwise... I have the last name Gamgee after all [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Tigerlily Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2002, 12:09 AM   #9
Thinhyandoiel
Wight

Thinhyandoiel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Thinhyandoiel
Eye

Finrod, I'd say. And Luthien. This is for the Silmarillion. I noticed, when it talked about Beren and Tinuviel, it was mainly Tinuviel who was saving everyone. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] Girl power! (yeah, okay that was cheesy). But as for the actual Lord of the Rings trilogy, I'd say Sam and Frodo. Though Merry did a heroic deed with the WitchKing, as did Eowyn. I don't know!! Everyone was a hero in their own respect, I think.
Thinhyandoiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2002, 02:00 AM   #10
ainur
Haunting Spirit

ainur has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I have to start with Gollum. He had the toughest row the hoe. Yet, even at the very brink of Mount Doom, he was still a Hobbit in some small way. Most of us could not claim that much strength. I don't know anyone who is that strong. No One! That's a hero!
My favorite, though is Galadriel. She is probably the oldest elf in the story of "The Lord of the Rings" and has been through so much more than you can understand if all you've read is "The Lord of the Rings." She was guilty of collusion in the Kinslaying at Alqualonde, and yet she did not go on the stolen ships back to Middle Earth. She struggled through the Helcarax on foot with all the rest. Her story is the story of Middle Earth, more than anyone else you could meet there. If I recall correctly, she was born in Valinor, but until the end of 'The War of the Ring,' she can never go back there. She is still under the sentence of The Valar because of the Kinslaying. Her general efforts in the war (She went into southern Mirkwood and battled with the Nazgul who were still holding onto Dol Guldur,) and, more importantly, her refusal of The Ring when Frodo offered to give it to her (The Mirror of Galadriel), garnered her a pardon from the Valar. She was the only guilty one left from the Kinslaying still in Middle Earth by the time of "The Lord of the Rings." Many reviews have noticed how mean and evil she seemed in the movie in 'The Mirror of Galadriel' scene in the movie. I think that Peter Jackson just realized how important this was to her (imagine the deciding moment in a ten-thousand year life.)
That's why Galadriel is my favorite. It's the only 'sincere' offer Frodo makes to give up The Ring, (all other offers were strictly out of his own fear and desire to remain unchanged and be relieved of the burden of It.) It's also the most dangerous, since she is the one most likely to consider accepting It. The fact that she doesn't is what makes her a hero. The greatest because she is the oldest, and because she learns wisdom from such as Frodo.
Old 04-06-2002, 03:25 AM   #11
Bramblerose Gamgee-Took
Haunting Spirit

Bramblerose Gamgee-Took has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

I think Frodo, because to travel all that way, and to go through all that he went through, He was quite Heroic. And also Sam, becasue he seemed to stay cheerful, even going up the Cracks of Doom.
Bramblerose Gamgee-Took is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2002, 07:14 AM   #12
lathspell
Regenerating Ringkeeper

lathspell has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

As for the hobbit I would go for Bilbo. He is the greatest hero in the, going with some dwarves on an adventure of which you know that there's a dragon waiting for you at the end. And his actions in Mirkwood and the Elven-Kingdom were heroic.
LotR - Almost all of the important characters are hero's, but if I had to choose one it would be Aragorn, because he traced Gollum and had the important part of gaining the kingship of Gondor.
Silmarillion - I've always thought of Beren, Luthien, Hurin and his son Turin. But in my opinion Earendil is the greatest hero because of his sailing the oceans to Valinor to save ME. I even think of him as greatest hero of all ages as I've said elsewhere.

Galadriel indeed was important in the history of ME, but I don't think she was the hero in it. I guess she is the most powerfull elf, or even most powerfull of all things (except the DL) in LotR.
'Yes, I, Gandalf the Grey,' said the wizard solemnly. 'There are many powers in the world, for good or for evil. Some are greater than I am. Against some I have not yet been measured. But my time is coming.'
lathspell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2002, 10:42 AM   #13
Afrodal

Sting

Blah, it's too hard to choose [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Well, Eärendil is of course one. He sailed to Valinor and asked for valar's help, though the journey was perilous. But he was never in great danger on his journey. Hmm..

And then there is Frodo. I think that he is heroe because he destroyed the Ring though he was so small [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] But a greater heroe is Sam.

And Finrod is of course one, Beren and Luthien too, Turin in his own way, Hurin and Huor.

Blah, there's too many great heroes in Middle-Earth. It would be better to ask for the hundred greatest heroes of Middle-Earth [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-06-2002, 12:51 PM   #14
Melian
Animated Skeleton

Melian has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I think Eärendil was in danger. The Valar could have killed him for even attempting to get to Valinor...
I like Melian of course, but I can´t say she´s my favourite. I guess every character is a hero in some way, that´s why it´s difficult to choose one. Don´t you think?
Old 04-06-2002, 01:57 PM   #15
Eärendil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eärendil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I certainly agree with you on the last bit Melian!
Wouldn´t be able to choose even if I had to... [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Jag ska aldrig göra dig illa. Inte igen. Åtminstone inte mycket, åtminstone inte hårt. Kommer du ihåg? Då vi fortfarande kunde skratta, le på ett äkta vis. Jag tänker på det ibland. Det smärtar. För aldrig har du väl varit. Längre bort. Från mig.
Eärendil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2002, 03:01 PM   #16
Ivorwen
Pile O'Bones

Ivorwen has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Gollum. If it weren't for him, Frodo would never have thrown the ring in Mount Doom.
Ivorwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2002, 06:15 PM   #17
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

VanimaEdhel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to VanimaEdhel Send a message via MSN to VanimaEdhel
Silmaril

From LotR I would say Sam Gamgee. I never really found Frodo to be a real "hero". I guess because he was always with Sam, who was so heroic and loyal.

Frodo, although I do admit he had a remarkable burden, of which I never wish to have bestowed upon me, almost gave up, but I do not believe that Sam would have ever given up. He carried the ring himself for a while, and, although he never felt the burden Frodo did, stayed by his master, Frodo, when it seemed hopeless. I never really loved Frodo, but I loved Sam in the story.

Although, Gandalf is also a hero. And Aragorn is as well. And many could argue (and I agree) that Gollum is a tremendous hero. I feel that he is more of a complex character than an actual hero. He DID lead them to Mordor, but he DID have the intention of giving them up. He then struggled with his inner self, because, deep inside, the old Smeagol was still inside, and Smeagol seemed to love the hobbits, probably especially as he was once a hobbit himself.

BOY do I digress...but, that is why I feel that Gollum is more of a sympathetic or sometimes empathetic character than an actual HERO. He is more of a tragic figure than a hero I think.
Old 04-06-2002, 10:37 PM   #18
Lothiriel Silmarien
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Lothiriel Silmarien has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The list of heroes is too long to count. I don't know why I came up with the topic considering I can't even pick out which one is the biggest hero. Picking out my favorite character is hard enough!
Lothiriel Silmarien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2002, 11:04 PM   #19
Kalimac
Candle of the Marshes

Kalimac has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Actually, you could say that Sam gave up - the scene in "The Choices of Master Samwise" where he turns around to take a last look at where Frodo's body is lying, and sees Orcs heading towards it. Then he thinks "I can't be their Ring-bearer. Not without Mr. Frodo" and runs back to him - it's only by great good luck that Sam wasn't captured on the spot, and if he had been of course he would have lost the Ring.

Just a thought.
Old 04-07-2002, 08:59 AM   #20
TheBlackRider
Animated Skeleton

TheBlackRider has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to TheBlackRider
Pipe

Well I would have to say none other than Gandalf. If he wasn't there to help Bilbo find the ring then what would have become of it? What if he never found it in the Shire? What if he hadn't sent Frodo out on his quest? What if he hadn't beatemn the Balrog? I think he derserves the most praise. And also he came back from the dead?
Old 04-07-2002, 10:45 AM   #21
dragongirlG
Wight

dragongirlG has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

For LOTR:
Gollum
Frodo
Sam
Eowyn
and all the rest of the characters...each had an important part

For the Hobbit:
Bilbo
Bard

For the Sil...haven't finished it yet

[ April 07, 2002: Message edited by: dragongirlG ]
dragongirlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2002, 11:03 AM   #22
Afrodal

Sting

Btw, ainur, Galadriel surely wasn't the oldest elf. At least Cirdan was older.
Old 04-07-2002, 01:49 PM   #23
Nar
Wight

Nar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Good point, Kalimac. From a strictly strategic standpoint, --get the ring into the fire!-- Sam failed there. Apparently, Sam could deal with leaving Frodo and going on alone, in which he was right, but he could not deal with actually seeing Frodo's 'body' being despoiled.

The proper thing to do when leaving a fallen companion behind would be to dispose of their remains in a way that prevents desecration and despoiling (if possible). Putting their dead beyond the reach of predators and wandering orcs was very important to the three companions as well as the Rohirrim. It was obvious that Frodo's 'body' would be found sooner or later and, orcs being orcs, looted, then probably-- no, let's not talk about that. There was Shelob, as well. What could Sam have done? Replay the problem of Boromir, (pyre? --no, cairn? --no) only with less equipment, more danger, and no saving waterfall at hand. However, there was a steep cliff nearby, on the road into Mordor. Sam could have dragged Frodo's body down there and tossed it over, which would have put off the orcs, at least. There are similarities to going over a waterfall, but not enough for that to feel like a good end. Somehow a waterfall seems gentler. It's fortunate for Frodo that Sam didn't think of it, but, softhearted hobbit that he was, he probably wouldn't have been able to do it anyway.

Leaving morbid speculation aside, the text indicates that Sam had a feeling, which he initially suppressed, that the strictly strategic standpoint was wrong in Frodo's case. Some characters do have flashes of foresight as well as dreams of the future, but I think that in this case Sam's somewhat softheaded loyalty functioned like Bilbo's and Frodo's pity. Strategy and determination are servicable, but never sufficient. What I find interesting is not that kindness helps, but that previous kindnesses that were completely off-mission wins the game so convincingly at the end. That's a nicely constructed plot.
Nar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2002, 12:30 AM   #24
Morgoth of Angband

Sting

i think isuldur is the greatest hero in the sil. his valor in getting the seedling from the tree and cutting the ring outnumbered his mistake of trying to keep the ring.
gandalf for the lotr. three of the original wizards were of no help and he had to oppose the other and oversee the fellowship. pretty impressive.
Old 04-10-2002, 12:54 AM   #25
KingCarlton
Wight

KingCarlton has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Sauron...the lord of the rings.
Without him..no story..

oohh look, pretty bright light...

~time for my medication~

blee squee (Know peace in Whalic)
[img]smilies/eek.gif[/img]
Know ye People, that between the years when the oceans drank Atlantis and the gleaming cities, And the rise of the sons of Aryas, there was an age undreamed of, when shining kingdoms lay spread across the world like blue mantles beneath the stars.

Hither came Carlton, the King, black haired, bronze hued, mightily thewed, sullen eyed. Sword in hand, a warrior, a destroyer, a conqueror. With gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jewelled thrones of the Earth, under his sandalled feet.
KingCarlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2002, 03:22 PM   #26
Ivare

Sting

One of the things I love about JRRT's books is that every charachter matters. Everyone is needed, even if they aren't particularily heroic. Gollum, for instance, is one of those charachters that you most certainly couldn't do without but I don't think he's really a hero. Even though he wanted and tried to do good some of the time, he usually did everything for himself.

This having been said, I do have a few favorites:

Lotr: Sam, Aragorn, Eowyn, Gandalf, Faramir, and Beregond. And Frodo. Everyone is always hard on Frodo, but if you think about it, he does have the worst burden of all. And he's always shown with Sam, and Sam is the sort of person that makes everyone else seem unimportant.

Sil: Ummm....
Fingolfin, even though he was slightly stupid to chalenge Morgoth to combat- he almost won!!
Finrod
Fingon
Luthien- much more so than Beren- It seems like she was always the one doing the hard stuff and Beren was the one getting rescued by either Luthien or Finrod
Tuor
Turin- sort of. He messed up a lot, but meant well.
Beleg- Definately!!!!
Gwindor
This list is too long!!!! I give up!!!!!
Old 04-10-2002, 04:04 PM   #27
StarCupcake

Silmaril

About every character shows courage and selflessness in LotR; few, however, such loyalty as Samwise. Shunned as only secondary, barely mentioned as much as he should be, but he was the strongest character of all. What a hero.
Old 03-16-2014, 04:59 AM   #28
Lotrelf
Shade of Carn Dûm

Lotrelf has just left Hobbiton.
Boots

When, for the first time, I saw the LotR movies, I felt EVERY ONE was important. I couldn't bring myself to decide who was the greatest among them. The character I was most impressed with was Sam. After reading the books, I came to realize that the biggest hero is Frodo in the books. Why? Well, here's the answer:
"Frodo undertook his quest out of love¡ªto save the world he knew from disaster at his own expense, if he could; and also in complete humility, acknowledging that he was wholly inadequate to the task."- J.R.R. Tolkien
In this letter, we are told that Frodo knew he is completely inadequate to task of bearing the Ring and destroying it, but he does it anyway. Other heroes, like Frodo, were aware of their inadequacy as well, but among them only Frodo decided to go on the "Mission Impossible."

Last edited by Lotrelf; 03-16-2014 at 05:04 AM.
Lotrelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 05:02 AM   #29
Lotrelf
Shade of Carn Dûm

Boots

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarCupcake View Post
About every character shows courage and selflessness in LotR; few, however, such loyalty as Samwise. Shunned as only secondary, barely mentioned as much as he should be, but he was the strongest character of all. What a hero.
He wasn't treated as "secondary" at all. After returning from the quest, he and Frodo are treated as "equals" and not primary or secondary.
Old 03-16-2014, 06:20 AM   #30
Faramir Jones
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Faramir Jones is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Faramir Jones is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting Samwise and Húrin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotrelf View Post
He wasn't treated as "secondary" at all. After returning from the quest, he and Frodo are treated as "equals" and not primary or secondary.
I agree with you here about Samwise, Lotrelf. He was certainly intended by Tolkien to be the biggest hero of LotR. He was treated as an equal by Frodo to the extent that the latter made him his heir, everything he had being given to him. Sam and his wife Rosie are pushed upstairs by this into the ranks of the gentry.

This is only one of the many rewards received by Sam during his life, the greatest his being allowed to go over Sea. Unlike others, he is a hero who is justly rewarded.

The most heroic thing he did was to, thinking Frodo dead, decide to take the Ring and continue the quest on his own, not matter how much it hurt him to do so.

In terms of the Silmarillion, the one I regard as the biggest hero is Húrin. Despite being captured and tortured by Morgoth, and totally at his mercy, he still defied him to his face. When Morgoth told him that his family was at the former's mercy, Húrin pointed out, 'You have none'. What particularly impressed me, however, was his calling Morgoth 'an escaped thrall [slave] of the Valar', something that stands along with Fëanor's description of him as a 'jail crow of Mandos'!
Faramir Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 07:33 AM   #31
Lotrelf
Shade of Carn Dûm

Silmaril

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faramir Jones View Post
I agree with you here about Samwise, Lotrelf. He was certainly intended by Tolkien to be the biggest hero of LotR. He was treated as an equal by Frodo to the extent that the latter made him his heir, everything he had being given to him. Sam and his wife Rosie are pushed upstairs by this into the ranks of the gentry.

This is only one of the many rewards received by Sam during his life, the greatest his being allowed to go over Sea. Unlike others, he is a hero who is justly rewarded.

The most heroic thing he did was to, thinking Frodo dead, decide to take the Ring and continue the quest on his own, not matter how much it hurt him to do so.
I'd disagree with you here. Tolkien NEVER meant Sam to be the "biggest" hero of the books. If you read the books, you'd see Sam does everything out of his love for Frodo. While Frodo does everything out of love for his home. Which love is more valuable? I'd say both. But, which one deserves more "praise"? I'd go with Frodo's. Because Sam was doing for the person he truely loves, and knows he is loved by that person equally. While Frodo did for a community. "To save the world he knew from disaster." In a world there ARE people who you love, hate or dislike or sometimes you don't give them a crap. But, when the time comes you are ready to sacrifice yourself for them. You know from the books what kind of reputation Frodo had in the Shire. He could have said "no" to the quest and lived there as Mr. Baggins, but he went to save them anyway.

When it comes to Sam's reward, I agree with you. But was it only Sam's? Don't you think it was something He got because of Frodo? Frodo left his home. Why? To get better? Is it something what he'd do? No. Though, there're many reasons tied to Frodo's departure, and I'm not going deeper. But Frodo would have stayed in the Shire and died there. And then? Merry, Pip and especially Sam would blame themselves for not being able to save him. Can you imagine how devastated Sam would have been? To save them all from this he left his home. The life you see rest of the fellowship living in the appendices is because Frodo sacrificed himself.
Sam's deeds are moving, heart melting, poignant instead of being heroic.
Old 03-16-2014, 07:35 AM   #32
Lotrelf
Shade of Carn Dûm

Silmaril

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faramir Jones View Post

I'd disagree with you here. Tolkien NEVER meant Sam to be the "biggest" hero of the books. If you read the books, you'd see Sam does everything out of his love for Frodo. While Frodo does everything out of love for his home. Which love is more valuable? I'd say both. But, which one deserves more "praise"? I'd go with Frodo's. Because Sam was doing for the person he truely loves, and knows he is loved by that person equally. While Frodo did for a community. "To save the world he knew from disaster." In a world there ARE people who you love, hate or dislike or sometimes you don't give them a crap. But, when the time comes you are ready to sacrifice yourself for them. You know from the books what kind of reputation Frodo had in the Shire. He could have said "no" to the quest and lived there as Mr. Baggins, but he went to save them anyway.

When it comes to Sam's reward, I agree with you. But was it only Sam's? Don't you think it was something He got because of Frodo? Frodo left his home. Why? To get better? Is it something what he'd do? No. Though, there're many reasons tied to Frodo's departure, and I'm not going deeper. But Frodo would have stayed in the Shire and died there. And then? Merry, Pip and especially Sam would blame themselves for not being able to save him. Can you imagine how devastated Sam would have been? To save them all from this he left his home. The life you see rest of the fellowship living in the appendices is because Frodo sacrificed himself.
Sam's deeds are moving, heart melting, poignant instead of being heroic.
Old 03-16-2014, 12:01 PM   #33
Belegorn
Shade of Carn Dûm

Belegorn has just left Hobbiton.
It'd have to be Eärendil and Frodo to me because their actions turned the tide of the times. They may not have been the strongest of their species but were perhaps the greatest by what they did. I'm not sure who I'd choose from the 2nd Age, maybe I'd give a dual trophy to Gil-galad and Elendil since they wrestled and beat Sauron.
Old 03-16-2014, 04:44 PM   #34
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Tolkien's editor. A brave man beyond words.
Old 03-16-2014, 04:44 PM   #35
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Pervinca Took is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
I agree, Lotrelf. I also think Frodo was just as brave after his quest as during it, and that a substantial part of his decision to sail west was so as not to cast a shadow of illness and death over the lives of his friends. Although I am confident that it was the best decision for himself, too, and that he knew it. It still takes gumption to do something like that. There is an element of a "leap of faith" in the decision to depart for Tol Eressea on a one-way ticket, even, as Tolkien put it, for "someone who had been through Frodo's experiences."

Edit: good point, Morthoron!
Old 03-16-2014, 05:00 PM   #36
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morthoron View Post
Tolkien's editor. A brave man beyond words.
Said like a true Mirthoron!
Old 03-16-2014, 10:38 PM   #37
Lotrelf
Shade of Carn Dûm

Silmaril

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pervinca Took View Post
Although I am confident that it was the best decision for himself, too, and that he knew it. It still takes gumption to do something like that. There is an element of a "leap of faith" in the decision to depart for Tol Eressea on a one-way ticket, even, as Tolkien put it, for "someone who had been through Frodo's experiences."
Yes, it was indeed the best thing he could do for himself and those he loved. It gives me a message! Like, in modern society, people "fail" and they wish to end their lives. While they may have another chance too, but they choose to finish it all, and commit suicide. Frodo, OTOH, lives on. He gives himself another chance.
IIRC, Tolkien said that Frodo decided to go across the Sea after his illness in 1420, when farmer Cotton saw him.
Old 03-16-2014, 10:44 PM   #38
Lotrelf
Shade of Carn Dûm

Boots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belegorn View Post
It'd have to be Eärendil and Frodo to me because their actions turned the tide of the times. They may not have been the strongest of their species but were perhaps the greatest by what they did.
Excuse my arrogance, but I don't think we can say Frodo was not strongest of his race/species. Strength doesn't only come from defeating a monster in the world, but defeating a monster inside of us. That's what Frodo did. The latter one, I guess, is tougher.
Old 03-17-2014, 07:56 AM   #39
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Pervinca Took is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
LOTRelf, I think it was the illness the March after that one when Tolkien said he finally decided to sail West. The one where Sam was home, but Elanor was being/about to be born, and Frodo managed "with a great effort" to hide his illness.

Fully agree about different kinds of strength. Just because Frodo doesn't get the chance to fight a giant spider, it doesn't mean he wasn't brave enough to (after all, he forces back the eyes with the Phial - Sam reckons the Elves would have made a song about that!) It just wasn't his brief. He had a very strong concept of his duty by the time he and Sam were alone on the Quest. That was to keep going towards the mountain as long as he could, and keep from capture for as long as possible. Painful, hard, agonising, humiliating, not swashbuckling. But brave? Hell, yes.

Last edited by Pervinca Took; 03-17-2014 at 08:01 AM.
Pervinca Took is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 11:33 AM   #40
Belegorn
Shade of Carn Dûm

Belegorn has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotrelf View Post
Excuse my arrogance, but I don't think we can say Frodo was not strongest of his race/species. Strength doesn't only come from defeating a monster in the world, but defeating a monster inside of us. That's what Frodo did. The latter one, I guess, is tougher.
I'd leave room for disagreement on this only because there were Bilbo and Gollum who lived with the Ring much longer than Frodo and obviously used it more often, and there were periods when they were to a great degree not downtrodden at its loss. Gollum for a while when under Frodo's wing while Frodo had the Ring was turning it around, after nearly 500 years with it, and Bilbo actually let it go after about 50-60 years with it.