The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-14-2002, 02:53 PM   #1
Rosa Underhill
Shade of Carn Dûm

Rosa Underhill has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Rosa Underhill
Sting Now this is just weird

I've had two Middle-earth dreams (the hobbit road trip and the Professor Gollum/Tolkien nightmare) but I just had the weirdest dream of them all: I dreamed about this message board!

I just remember reading a message on here (it was about Tolkien and Jesus, no surprise since my radio came on and it was playing a Christian song). And I don't think this is the first time it's happened. I seem to recall having other dreams about the Barrow-Downs. Now, if that isn't weird, I don't know what is.
Old 03-14-2002, 03:38 PM   #2
Starbreeze
Ghost of a Smile

Starbreeze has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Starbreeze
Silmaril

OOOOO! Thats creepy - dreaming about here! I think you are really obsessed! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

To write is to make dreams, to make dreams is to awaken the fantasy of the mind, to awaken the mind is to be a master.
Starbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2002, 04:04 PM   #3
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Samwise has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Samwise
Sting

No LOTR dreams for me, yet (least not while I'm sleeping.....)
Quote:
LOTR (Movie) Moment (III) (Second Breakfast)
Pippin stops to cook
Aragorn says there's no time
Apple hits a head.
Copyright 2002 S. Uffelman
The Beginning of an LOTR story
Giving thanks unto the Father...In whom we have redemption through His blood, even the forgiveness of sins.~Colossians1:12a,14
I am Samwise son of Hamfast, if by hoe or trowel I can get these weeds out of your garden, I will.You have my shears!;)
Samwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2002, 09:38 PM   #4
Kalimac
Candle of the Marshes

Kalimac has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Wow, Rosa, I've never had *that* happen (give it time, though - a few hundred more posts and who knows?). Glad it wasn't a nightmare, though [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img].

Seriously, though, isn't it difficult dreaming about people when you don't know what they look like? Maybe it's just because in most of my dreams I never hear or read anything, I can see people speaking but never hear their voices, just see a lot of very brightly colored scenes being acted out. Probably varies among people, though.
Old 03-14-2002, 10:12 PM   #5
Vinyacairwen
Pile O'Bones

Vinyacairwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Vinyacairwen
Sting

Professor Gollum..that would be a nightmare...Gollum reminds me of E.T. I don't like E.T...

I don't have dreams about LOTR...just dreams about my own story I made, Disney's Atlantis, Peter Pan, and people dying O.o (they nightmares though...just mysteries). For instance, the time when Milo went to Atlantis, only to discover Peter Pan and the Lost Boys captured Kida.. ::hah::
Old 03-14-2002, 10:19 PM   #6
Kalimac
Candle of the Marshes

Sting

ET always sort of creeped me out as well, to be honest. Though since I was a languages/linguistics major, his real sin in my eyes was to somehow realize that the word "phone" can be used as both a noun and a verb (what? You mean all languages don't do that?) Sorry, that's just the sort of thing I tend to nitpick - [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img].

Professor Gollum, ugh. What did he do if you failed a test? (Sitting there at your desk, writing in one of those blue books, sweating bullets while hearing your professor hissing "Is it nice? Is it tasty? Is it scrumptiously crunchable?") Or did he do something different?

[ March 14, 2002: Message edited by: Kalimac ]
Old 03-14-2002, 11:35 PM   #7
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Birdland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
(Sitting there at your desk, writing in one of those blue books, sweating bullets while hearing your professor hissing "Is it nice? Is it tasty? Is it scrumptiously crunchable?")
Talk about your test anxiety!
Birdland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2002, 02:47 AM   #8
Eärendil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eärendil has just left Hobbiton.
I haven´t had any dreams about this forum, but I am sure it will happen any time... [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
I have had dreams about Middle-Earth though, almost every night.. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
I am usually an elf, living my life there, and sometimes I hunt some orcs...
It´s nice I must say.. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Jag ska aldrig göra dig illa. Inte igen. Åtminstone inte mycket, åtminstone inte hårt. Kommer du ihåg? Då vi fortfarande kunde skratta, le på ett äkta vis. Jag tänker på det ibland. Det smärtar. För aldrig har du väl varit. Längre bort. Från mig.
Eärendil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2002, 05:11 AM   #9
Neferchoirwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Neferchoirwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Neferchoirwen
The Eye

Ooooh. A dream about this forum.

I'm hoping for a dream of THIS post---one where I can see what all of you look like---I'd find that amusing, but probably you guys won't...

I'm waiting for my next dream...I hope it's about Elrond again [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Neferchoirwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2002, 07:11 AM   #10
Eruhen
Shade of Carn Dûm

Eruhen has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Sadly, I've never had a ME or Barrowdowns dream. Although, I kinda hope that I never become that bad of a Tolkien nut.

What am I saying?!!! Soy un Tolikienista! Viva la revolucion Tolkiena!
Eruhen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2002, 09:51 AM   #11
Gayahithwen
Wight

Gayahithwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Gayahithwen Send a message via MSN to Gayahithwen Send a message via Yahoo to Gayahithwen
Sting

Heh.. I've had one Tolkien-ish dream in my whole life, and I think I posted it on this forum.. in short words, I was to be part of The Two Towers movie, and was to play Uglúk.. ^_^ I'm not sure if that was a nightmare or not. Oh yeah, I remember another Tolkien-ish dream I had some years ago.. It was knowing that Gollum was about to kill me, but I couldn't do anything! creepy! And the professor Gollum dream, wasn't it the dream where Tolkien turned into Gollum? Or am I totally mistakening?
Old 03-15-2002, 12:04 PM   #12
Nevtalathiel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Nevtalathiel has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I had a dream that was kind of tolkein related, but based at my school and about this girl who fancies Legolas. Did you know they're re-releasing E.T. in England at least!
Old 03-15-2002, 04:41 PM   #13
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Sting

Quote:
What am I saying?!!! Soy un Tolikienista!
Eh...que hablas, Eruhen? No esta Quenya, that's for sure! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Quote:
Watching LOTR
The edge of my seat
hands tearing up a napkin
I liked that movie!
Giving thanks unto the Father...In whom we have redemption through His blood, even the forgiveness of sins.~Colossians1:12a,14
I am Samwise son of Hamfast, if by hoe or trowel I can get these weeds out of your garden, I will.You have my shears!;)
Old 03-15-2002, 05:29 PM   #14
Rosa Underhill
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

Quote:
Professor Gollum..that would be a nightmare
I've posted a description of this before, but here it is again:

It was Friday afternoon and I wanted a book to do a report on so I ran into this library. Outside the birds were chirping and it was really green and pretty but it was dark inside and I was hiding from the janitor, who was locking up for the weekend. (I had every intention of staying there for the weekend; it's one of my real life dreams and I think it partly stems from the multiple times I've been locked in libraries while the librarian went on lunch break.) Anyways, I ran up this spiral staircase in a really shadowed corner and came to this room with lots of books and an old man sitting at a talbe. He asked if he could help me and I said I was looking for a book. Then he started piling books on his table and I said I wanted a book on Tolkien and he said, "Ah, so you've read my books?" He ran to another shelf and pulled out the Red Book of Westmarch and started leafing through it, muttering "Would it like this, my preciousss..." and he started laughing very evily. It was freakish!

And I dream in full sound and color, so my dream about the 'Downs was interesting. I didn't see any of your faces but I was reading the posts and I could hear them in all these different voices. It was cool!

Tolkien ergo sum. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-16-2002, 12:57 AM   #15
Kalimac
Candle of the Marshes

Pipe

Ouch - that one sounds just nasty (especially Gollum as the Anti-Tolkien there). Some libraries are spooky, but that's a bit much even for them.

Dreaming about the messageboard could be kind of entertaining, in a weird way. Depends on what thread you're in, probably [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]. I never hear voices in my dreams, though (is this usual? As it happens, I was functionally deaf for about four years when I was very small; have wondered sometimes if that had something to do with it, since most people seem to hear things in their dreams). So faces would have to do.

Unfortunately the only Tolkien dream I ever had involved being chased by Nazgul. Dreaming about Rivendell could be good though...maybe if I read the chapter several times before going to sleep - who knows?

[ March 16, 2002: Message edited by: Kalimac ]
Old 03-16-2002, 01:07 AM   #16
coloradohobbit

Sting

Razz, your mind is a strange and wonderful place.. but I like you anyhow! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 03-16-2002, 07:36 AM   #17
Gayahithwen
Wight

Gayahithwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Gayahithwen Send a message via MSN to Gayahithwen Send a message via Yahoo to Gayahithwen
Sting

Welcome to the Downs, coloradohobbit! I hopw you will enjoy your stay here!

Back to subject - I think I hear voices in my dreams, but I can never say exactly what they did tell me.. I just know that someone has said something.. LoL, this reminds me of a part in the Discworld series, where there are some creeatures who instead of talking themselves, changes the reality, so that they have allready spoken. Sometimes it feels like that. Dreaming about the messageboard would be fun!
Old 03-16-2002, 09:17 AM   #18
Pips
Haunting Spirit

Pips has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

How bout a real life experence with a guy who looked like Gollum. To me anyway.
Pips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2002, 09:26 AM   #19
Aralaithiel
Ghost Eldaran Queen

Aralaithiel has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

Eruhen! I know where you got that! I said it first! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Yo soy una Tolkienista! Viva la revolucion!
It's proving quite difficult to translate that into Quenya, as I can't find a word for revolution! So I'll stick with the Spanish!

Check out my first Quenya poem in the languages forum!

I have dreams about my father Elrond quite frequently. Unfortunately he's chewing me out for not knowing about me for all this time! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] But he really should be chewing Galadriel, because she should have told him! And the Valar told her not to! Poor dad!
OK...I'll quit rambling now! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-16-2002, 06:31 PM   #20
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Sting

coloradohobbit, welcome to the 'Downs!
~your freindly neighborhood gardener
Quote:
"I made a promise, Mister Frodo! 'Don't you leave him, Samwise Gamgee,' Gandalf said;
'Don't you leave him! "
Sam Gamgee
Old 03-16-2002, 07:42 PM   #21
Luinsewiel
Haunting Spirit

Location: The Great Grey-Green Greasy Limpopo River, All Set About With Fever Trees
Luinsewiel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Luinsewiel Send a message via AIM to Luinsewiel
Silmaril

Hi, I always thought it was normal to dream about LotR or any book i was reading for that matter. I have even since I can remember [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] thats why i love LotR so much cause every night I dream somethin different. After i saw the movie (only once [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]) i went to bed extra early cause i knew i would be dreamin about it and not want to get up. anyway maybe thats just me, my friends always tell me i'm odd....
Old 03-18-2002, 04:13 PM   #22
Elanor
Shade of Carn Dûm

Elanor has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Wow, Rosa, thanks for that, I know I'm not alone! I might not come here every day, or post that often, but I had a Barrow Downs dream a week or so ago. I didn't like to tell anyone in case they called the men in white coats...

I dreamt I was walking round my local supermarket, and saw three people in Barrow Downs t-shirts. I went to say hello, and they turned out to be red, Lush and Glenethor. Lush had three bottles of vodka (or was it miruvor?) in her basket, and had extremely long hair. Glenethor had a big beard and looked like Peter Jackson. We started discussing whether Balrogs have wings, and then réd got cross and said I had to press the Reply button if I wanted to talk... There were little smileys flying round like insects too. There was lots more to it, but I've forgotten it now. I thought I was going mad!
It's nice to know I'm not the only one that thinks about this waaay too much! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 03-20-2002, 04:23 PM   #23
Rosa Underhill
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

Elenor, that is awesome! Way better than my dream, I think. And don't worry about anyone calling the nice men in white coats with the happy pills; if someone did, we'd all be in trouble. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] Besides, there's not enough room in any mental hospital for all of us crazy dead people!
Old 03-21-2002, 10:21 AM   #24
Eruhen
Shade of Carn Dûm

Eruhen has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Yes, Aralaithiel, I borrowed that! I just really liked it as an interjection. Hope you don't mind.
Eruhen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2002, 12:00 PM   #25
Nevtalathiel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Nevtalathiel has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

What??? you never normally hear things in your breams or see things in colour??? I always hear things and see in colour, but i never notice anything (like what people are wearing, or where i am) and i always forget my dreams really easily [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] if i want ot dream about LOTR, I listen to the soundtrack as I'm going to sleep and i never seem to remember hearing past track 7!!!
Old 03-21-2002, 10:25 PM   #26
MYyyPreciousSS
Wight

MYyyPreciousSS has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to MYyyPreciousSS
Ring

I had a Lord of the rings type dream just last night. It was so cool. I was like right at the place where they shot the movie (around the river where the fellowship breaks). I just remember thinking how much i felt like I was in Middle-Earth. I also jumped off this cliff (like in the end of Crouching Tiger.. movie,when the girl jumps.). I just remember being in this fantasy world just like Tolkien's world.
I thought I'd share this with you all.

"My Preciousss" - the line that started the obsession.
MYyyPreciousSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2002, 05:37 PM   #27
Eärendil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eärendil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Welcome to the Downs MYyyPreciousSS! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] Enjoy your stay. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Right, last night one of my dreams was about Lotr, I dreamt I got I got a strand of (no, not Galadriel´s hair) Legolas hair... and then suddenly it got very light, so I couldn´t see anything. Then I woke up and realised I had left the light on. Hm...
Jag ska aldrig göra dig illa. Inte igen. Åtminstone inte mycket, åtminstone inte hårt. Kommer du ihåg? Då vi fortfarande kunde skratta, le på ett äkta vis. Jag tänker på det ibland. Det smärtar. För aldrig har du väl varit. Längre bort. Från mig.
Eärendil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2002, 05:45 PM   #28
Elvenglass
Haunting Spirit

Elvenglass has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Elvenglass
Silmaril

Well can't say I've ever had a Barrow Downs dream (that I can remember)...But as far as dreams go, I always hear things and see in colour. Very interesting, this is.
Old 03-22-2002, 07:20 PM   #29
Luinsewiel
Haunting Spirit

Location: The Great Grey-Green Greasy Limpopo River, All Set About With Fever Trees
Luinsewiel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Luinsewiel Send a message via AIM to Luinsewiel
Sting

I had a dream about the downs, or maybe it was some other Tolkien message board... any way I was talking to people and they liked me [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] and then I think I was arguing with someone and there were people on my side [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] (again) and then I woke up and I thought "must go on the internet" and I was about to but I looked at my clock and it was 3 am [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] anyway... just thought I'd share,again.
-Luin

[ March 22, 2002: Message edited by: Luinsewiel ]
Old 03-22-2002, 07:55 PM   #30
alaklondewen
Song of Seregon

alaklondewen has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I'm so glad I'm not the only one who has ME dreams. I've yet to have one about the Barrow Downs, but I haven't been here that long, so give me time. I just might.

In My dreams I'm allows either a part of the Fellowship or on some other adventure. Gandalf is almost always there. And you know how LoTR is scary in places? My dreams are the same way. It's not always Melorn and Miruvir.
Old 03-23-2002, 01:37 AM   #31
Rosa Underhill
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

Heh, at least you're in your own dreams, alaklondewen. Strangely enough, I almost am never in my own dreams. I'm either someone else and looking through their eyes or I'm the "camera person". Usually, I switch between the two roles.

Oh, I just remembered another dream I had that wasn't all LotR but it had some LotR bits in it.

Some guy gave me a ring (not that Ring), I have no idea why. Then, I had to fight off this mummy and I ended up in a really creepy gladiator ring (containing some elements from the Crash Bandicoot video games, like Crash himself). Gollum was there and I knew I had to beat him or he'd take the ring and rule the world. Well, I felt bad for him, so I just pushed him over and left. Then, stage three rolled around and the guy who gave me the ring said I had to fight Gollum to the death. The guy had a whip and Gollum had become most unfortunately strong. He never gave me the chance to tell him that the ring I had wasn't his precious. I think I pushed him down a hole or something, I don't really remember. Oddly, that was the second time that night those events had happened (in that exact order) during the dream. I knew what I had to do, I just didn't want to do it. Double dreams are so weird...
Old 03-23-2002, 03:06 PM   #32
alaklondewen
Song of Seregon

alaklondewen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Rosa, I think by not killing Gollum, you proved yourself to have the same courage and compassion both Bilbo and Frodo had. As evil and cruel Gollum is (or was), a person (or Hobbit) just can't help but feel sorry for him.
Old 03-26-2002, 05:15 PM   #33
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

VanimaEdhel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to VanimaEdhel Send a message via MSN to VanimaEdhel
Silmaril

No message board dreams for me...I did marry Legolas a few times and stuff like that (won't go into too much detail). I also married other characters...Boromir and people like that (go figure).

Board dreams...hmmm...give me time, I will: I've had dreams about chats that I was on for a long time...had to stop going on them, was dreaming about them too much. lol. Well: good luck with the dreams!