The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-10-2002, 11:02 PM   #1
Maltagaerion
Haunting Spirit

Maltagaerion has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril Enchanted Stream

Remember the Enchanted Stream in Mirkwood? Bombur fell into it and slept quite a long time due to the enchantment. My question is was it ever explained anywhere why it was enchanted and who caused it? I can't seem to find and reference about it.
Old 02-10-2002, 11:30 PM   #2
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Pipe

It may have been a defense mechanism of the Elves. But, that's just an uneducated and probably unlikely guess.
However, I'd be willing to bet that the stream being enchanted has something to do with the Elves though. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-10-2002, 11:34 PM   #3
Bruce MacCulloch
Dead Man of Dunharrow

Bruce MacCulloch has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Bruce MacCulloch
Ring

The other possibilty is that the enchantment of the stream had something to do with Dol Guldur. Remember, Sauron was living in the south of Mirkwood at the time of The Hobbit.
Old 02-11-2002, 01:01 AM   #4
Elendur
Wight

Elendur has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Elendur
Sting

I would say that it is likely that the enchanted stream was a river running north from Dol Guldur. If you remember, Dol Guldur is built on high land in the south portion of Mirkwood. So it makes sense that a stream would form flowing from South to North cutting along the elves path through the forest.

Why the stream makes you fall asleep, I dont know exactly for sure. But it is because of Dol Guldur I would say.
Old 02-11-2002, 07:58 AM   #5
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
The Eye

Umm, no. The Enchanted River springs up in the Mountains of Mirkwood, and hence is never anywhere near Dol Guldur.
Old 02-12-2002, 02:11 AM   #6
Scapegoat
Pile O'Bones

Scapegoat has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I think it most likely that the Forest Stream enchantment had it source with the woodelves. The whole time Bombur was under its spell he 'slept on with a smile on his fat face.' When he awoke he described having dreams of singing and feasting in the forest with a Woodland King. I don't think any enchantment of the Necromancer would have been in any way pleasant.
Scapegoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2002, 09:59 PM   #7
Elendur
Wight

Elendur has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Elendur
Sting

Yes, I beleive you are both right. My theory was a little stupid now that I think of it.

Just to pose the question though, why would the elves want to make a seemingly evil stream. Beorn or Gandalf warns never to touch the black stream. Obviously it is not something that you want to do, so it seems a little harsh. I can understand why the elves wouldn't want people using there road alot, but why make a nice stream into something that could very well kill the unsuspecting fellow who drank from it or fell in.

In The Hobbit it talks about the Wood Elves as being unwise or something close to that. (I will have to find the quote later) Maybe Tolkiens view of them changed when he wrote LOTR because obviously Legolas is a good elf.
Old 02-12-2002, 10:27 PM   #8
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Sting

Well, sad to say, but war and politics and protecting the safety of the realm are serious questions involving life and death. They are not played by nice rules. If you can make what essentially amounts to a moat look like a nice inviting stream and put potential intruders to sleep or otherwise poison them, you do it.

That is assuming that my theory (and that's all it is, a theory [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] ) is correct. The above could be a reason behind it.
Old 02-12-2002, 11:45 PM   #9
Maltagaerion
Haunting Spirit

Maltagaerion has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Hrmm it does seem to make sense. Thanks for your input guys. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-18-2010, 09:16 AM   #10
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Why didn't the Elves make better use of these waters? What better than to spray opponents with the waters, rendering them senseless?

They could have sent Thorin a 'peace offering' of some food and casks of water when the Dwarf was holed up in the Lonely Mountain.

"Drink up!"

My original thought was to somehow feed this water to Gollum when he was in captivity, as it might have made him more manageable.
Old 03-18-2010, 03:51 PM   #11
Rumil
Sage & Onions

Rumil has been trapped in the Barrow!
Eye Zzzzzzzz

The Wood Elves do seem to have been experts in what one might call a level 1 D&D sleep spell, had not Galadriel somewhat complicated our analysis of 'magic' in ME. A couple of times Bilbo et al chased after the elven parties, only to 'magically' fall asleep.

The enchanted stream isn't a particularly 'evil' defence system, as long as it gets patrolled frequently. Assuming the sleeper doesn't fall in the water and drown, I guess the next elven patrol just picks them up and then either despatches, imprisons or revitalises them (perhaps with a little Dorwinion vintage). From Bombur's experience I guess the sleeper would wake up before they starved to death or whatever.

I agree its more likely to be the elves' doing than the Necromancer's. IIRC MERP has it that the stream is enchanted by some noxious emanation from a secret Sauronic hideout in the Mountains of Mirkwood, but as Scapegoat says, this doesn't tie in at all with Bombur's pleasant dreams.

OH and maybe the sleep effect wears off when the water is removed fom the stream? Otherwise Thranduil would have a very nice little earner flogging sleep potions to all and sundry!

As to bottling the water and using selling it on at an outrageous profit as sleep potion, well I guess maybe it doesn't work that way. Perhaps the effect 'goes off' when the water is removed from the river?
Remember they had left a boat. This could be a neat mechanism of only allowing 'goodly' folk across if it was only get-able by pulling on elven rope, because the evil types might be unable to touch the rope (from Gollum's reaction). Though it was old and rotten, so either the elves didn't expect any friendly travellers, or they had forgotten about it, what with their hectic partying schedule.

Last edited by Rumil; 03-18-2010 at 03:56 PM. Reason: extra
Rumil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 06:28 AM   #12
Selmo
Shade of Carn Dūm

Selmo has just left Hobbiton.
Perhaps the river wasn't enchanted. but poisoned by Elven industry.

It could be the answer to the recent thread "Waste".

Selmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 06:41 AM   #13
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Enchanted sleep is a pretty standard "Faerie" thing. Rip Van Winkle, &c. Sleep was sweet in Bombadil's house, though not quite enchanted. I forget whether Smith slept in Faerie; seems like he must have but I haven't read Smith in a while.

For Elves: Frodo fell asleep under the elven music in Rivendell; all three hobbits slept deeply and well under Gildor's care in Woody End; and Melian cast a spell of years over Thingol.

The elves of Mirkwood are a little wilder, I think, than the elves of Lorien or Rivendell. They party in the pitch dark, and hunt wild white stags through the black forest. Enchanting a stream doesn't seem beyond them at all.

Elves are good; but they are dangerous. I think we often forget that. "Perilous", said both sons of Denethor. Elves are not to be taken lightly.