The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-13-2004, 08:04 PM   #1
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
1420! Top reasons why you enjoyed the movies.

Just mention the top reasons that got you to enjoy LOTR. I think the number one reason for me was the acting. There were a few shaky roles, but for the most part the acting was splendid. I was impressed with Sean Astin's performance in ROTK. Bernard Hill has always been only I enjoyed. I think Chris Lee will go down as one of the greatest actors in history, and Brad Dourif, just a wonderful overall bad guy you want to punch. I thought the women roles of Liv Tyler and Cate Blanchett were a little weak, but their beauty makes up for it .

The other reason would be the scenery. I loved Minas Tirith, Edoras, The Shire, and I thought Helm's Deep was done near perfection.
Boromir88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004, 10:34 PM   #2
Elladan and Elrohir
Shade of Carn Dūm

Elladan and Elrohir has just left Hobbiton.
Let's see. The acting, the music, the scenery, the special effects, the cinematography, the plot. THE GREAT BOOK IT WAS BASED ON!!!

Other than all that, it was three terrible movies.

THE HOBBIT - IT'S COMING
Elladan and Elrohir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004, 10:44 PM   #3
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
I loved the movies because they cast the books into sharp relief, and both became clearer by the contrast. And (generally speaking) I value them both highly.

I think the soundtrack is magnificent, especially the vocal work (and especially the soprano work.) And when the soundtrack and the scenery comes together you get the lighting of the beacons (I cry.)

But I think the main reason I love the movies is that they gave me the books back after having been away from them too long. (THe movies also were the catalyst for many treasured friendships.)
Old 12-14-2004, 03:58 AM   #4
Turin
Animated Skeleton

Turin has just left Hobbiton.
I enjoyed the movies for their entertainment value, and that's about it.

However, more importantly, I realised just how important the book is to me and how it is a dangerous road to take to adapt Tolkien.. I think i'll revert back to my own imagination whilst reading the book.
Old 12-14-2004, 07:12 AM   #5
Essex
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Essex has just left Hobbiton.
Not a surprise coming from me, but what did I like about the moives?

Everything.

PS, hello Turin. I see you're very protective of the old bard and his works. Is it because he may have been a neighbour of yours?
Essex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 07:24 AM   #6
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
1420!

I completely forgot about the music. I love hearing the Rohan Violin theme playing.
Old 12-14-2004, 08:10 AM   #7
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Thumbs up Accentuate the positive

Nice to see an upbeat thread about the films, for once.

Although:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turin
... how it is a dangerous road to take to adapt Tolkien.
In what way dangerous, and to whom?

What do I like about the films? Well, like Essex, pretty much everything. If I was being picky, there are one or two things that I would change. But I would prefer to dwell on the positive (as that is how the films make me feel). So, almost without exception, I would commend the acting, the settings, the costumes, the music and the special effects - all way above average for this kind of film, in my opinion. How many other fantasy action films come anywhere near it in these areas? I cannot think of one off-hand.

For me, almost every character and location were exactly as I had imagined them. As I have said before, this may be because I have seen a lot of Tolkien art in my time and much of it has been produced, or influenced, by Alan Lee and John Howe, who were central to the films' design team. But I was nevertheless not in the least disappointed in these aspects.

And, as anyone who has been to the WETA exhibition will appreciate, the amount of detail that went into the costumes and props (the armour and weapons particularly) was astounding. I haven't seen the documentaries on the RotK EE, but it is clear from those on the other EEs that an incredible amount of work went into these films. The dedication and committment of all those involved in their production (many of whom are Tolkien fans themselves), and the bonds of fellow-feeling that this appears to have generated, shine through for me in the quality of the films.

I cannot think of a bad acting performance, and there were many exceptional ones: Ian McKellen, Ian Holm, Christopher Lee, Sean Astin, Billy Boyd, Sean Bean, Bernard Hill and Miranda Otto all deserve special mention. And although Elijah Wood did irritate me at times with his constant eye-rolling and falling over, I did think that his performance in the Mount Doom/Sammath Naur scenes was superb.

The story-line was, of course, marvellous - although I would attribute that largely to Tolkien, as I would agree that the film story is at its weakest where it strays furthest from his story. But I think that, on the whole, the changes that were made worked. Everyone will have their own opinion as to which particular scenes and characters should have been included and which should have been omitted, but the choices that were made (with a few exceptions) worked for me in terms of a screen adaptation.

I must admit that there were moments in the dialogue when I winced (let's hunt some orc, for example), but again, on balance, I think that the script team did a very good job. Remember that we are judging their lines against one of the greatest story-tellers of modern times. I am sure that there are those who could have done better in recreating Tolkien's style and perhaps would have had the courage to go with some of his more "archaic" (for want of a better word) phraseology. But how many would have had the necessary level of time, committment and enthusiasm to dedicate to this project? (Incidentally, in this regard, I learned with sadness that Tom Stoppard is no longer working on the script for the film version of His Dark Materials - a great shame.) And I was impressed with the way that, given the need to cut and rearrange scenes and dialogue, they reallocated the lines between the characters.

So, am I going overboard in my praise of the films? I don't think so, primarily because there are few films that I have enjoyed as much as these and that have moved me as much. I am not often moved to tears, either by books or by films, but these films achieved this feat on a number of occasions, just as the books did. I certainly don't expect everyone to share my opinion of the films, and I would agree with some of the criticisms that are often made, but, given how much I have got out of these films, I do find myself disappointed at times by the general atmosphere of negativity over them that sometimes pervades these boards.

Perhaps it is easier to list the films' bad points (this would undoubtedly be a quicker exercise for me than to list their good points), but it does make a refreshing change to have an opportunity to celebrate them.

Last edited by The Saucepan Man; 12-14-2004 at 08:14 AM.
The Saucepan Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 09:04 AM   #8
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Oh, well said, Saucie, well said. (I'll get back to you on that one.) Thanks for bringing up such things as costuming, sets & props.

I heartily agree with you that there is much to praise about these movies and little to disparage. While I did not have the same Lee/Howe foundation that you did, and the scenery was quite different in my mind, still, it was quite easy for me to feel very much at home in 95% of the scenes. Minas Tirith was totally magnificent (seeing that stunningly beautiful glimpse of it in FOTR surprised me so much that I gasped and burst into tears, startling my friends...) THe only place I didn't 'recognize' was Lorien. I wanted .... well, nevermind. What they came up with was also magnificent, and carried the movie through Lothlorien quite well.

I had problems with the characterization at first, especially of Strider; but I've come to terms with 90% of it, the remainder being poor cheated Frodo. However, especially after watching the Appendices and making-of features, and seeing how much even the eye-rolling was managed and guided by PJ, I don't blame the actors for any of it. So even if I disagree (and i do) with some of PJ's characterization-- given the overall amount of work that PJ did, my criticisms seem quite unfair. For the work PJ did, he did a magnificent job.

I do maintain that Virtue and character depth isn't PJ's strong point; bad guys and evil are his strong point. Perhaps with some more experience under his belt, he would have had a wiser approach to the deeper virtues of the characters; but then, with age comes weariness, and he wouldn't have the boundless energy he needed for this project. How to perfect it? Maybe putting a much older, wiser director in charge of the most complex characters, while leaving youthfully energetic PJ in charge of "everything else"? Not likely, is it?

So back to what we've got, which IMO definitely earned its eleven oscars. Most of the fans are either pleased, or fairly pleased. There are some die-hards like our well-beloved lindil, but they still have their books, intact and undamaged, on their shelves. Meanwhile, teeming hordes who would otherwise have never met Frodo or Gandalf or Aragorn, are now enlightened. I call that good...

Really, I think we have a magnificent set of movies, and I'm grateful for them. They are some of the best fanfiction ever generated; definitely enriching; enjoyable; great entertainment; but beyond that, food for deep thought. That's quite an accomplishment.

Last edited by mark12_30; 12-14-2004 at 09:09 AM. Reason: seplling
mark12_30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 10:13 AM   #9
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

1420!

Good discussion Mark and SpM, this gets close to the new thread I am about to put up momentarily . On a quick remark to Sauce...
Quote:
So, am I going overboard in my praise of the films? I don't think so, primarily because there are few films that I have enjoyed as much as these and that have moved me as much.
The movies were especially emotional. I never shed tears, but my eyes did water up a few times, Theoden's death, Boromir's death, Frodo telling Sam to leave. And I got goosebumps once in a while, The Charge of the Rohirrim, Aragorn's "Sons of Gondor, of Rohan, my brothers...., Sam carrying Frodo up Mount Doom. There were some truly inspirational, emotional scenes throughout the movies.

We can also credit PJ for Tolkien being recently stated back as one of the best-selling authors of the century. (Was a jeopardy question)
Old 12-14-2004, 10:52 AM   #10
Turin
Animated Skeleton

Turin has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Essex
Not a surprise coming from me, but what did I like about the moives?

Everything.

PS, hello Turin. I see you're very protective of the old bard and his works. Is it because he may have been a neighbour of yours?
Thanks for the welcome, Essex.

In fact, I actually live in Moseley, around the Sarehole Mill area, though I didn't realise that Tolkien was a Brummie until after i'd read The Hobbit when I was about 8. Though it does help for my further interest and passion with regards to the Prof's works was sparked when I realised that he used his childhood experiences of the West Midlands area for much of his inspiration.
Old 12-14-2004, 11:10 AM   #11
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

1420!

That's some interesting info Turin, you should post here and give a little introduction, or info, about yourself, to the rest of the downs. (If you haven't already).
Old 12-14-2004, 11:49 AM   #12
ivo
Newly Deceased

ivo has just left Hobbiton.
I think the movies are great. They are almost exactly as I pictured them in my head.

Having said this, I do think there are some crucial aspects not presented in the movies, which made me appreciate the book so much.

That is: a sense of majesty and a feeling of the spirit world.
Some examples.

When Frodo puts on the Ring to escape Boromir, and flees on top of an old watch tower for the Kings of old, Tolkien describes a black hand moving over the plains of Gondor, strechting out to grasp the ring.

When Aragorn, Legolas and Gimli meet Eomer, who speaks to them sternly, Aragorn seems to rise to kingly stature with silver flames on his eyebrows when he replies.

The mind battle between Gandalf and the Witch-King at the Gate.

Tolkien describes the siege of Gondor in a very specific way: the ballistas, orcs and trolls are guided by a strong will, that gives their assault a direction (maybe hard to portray on screen, but I think it could be done. And actually Sauron isn't scary at all. When the Barad-Dur collapses the blinking eye looks kind of hilarious)

PJ did it in part One for example, when Bilbo has to leave the Ring for Frodo. When he's getting angry, Gandalf rises, the room shrinks and is filled with a sense of a terrible power (his voice lowers, it gets darker). I just loved that scene!

To wrap this up: yesterday I saw the documentaries on ROTK EE, and it turns out that finishing part III for the deadline was a very hasty job. The people at Weta digital had to make 16 hours a day. You can't tell that didn't effect the movie. Maybe if PJ had more time, he would have added the majestical extra's that I miss in ROTK. But that's just a wild guess. (And it doesn't stop me from doing a marathon on Saturday, all EE, 12 hours long, wow.)

Last edited by ivo; 12-14-2004 at 11:59 AM.
ivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 12:27 PM   #13
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

1420!

I thought Ian Holm did a wonderful job as Bilbo, "It's mine! I found it! IT came to me!" I would love to see him as Bilbo in "The Hobbit," but he might be too old. Another movie that I enjoyed with Ian Holm was "Brazil." A movie made by one of the Monty Python troupe members, it's based off of 1984. So it's a bit of Orwell mixed with Monty Pythonism, good stuff.
Old 12-19-2004, 03:12 PM   #14
Evisse the Blue
Brightness of a Blade

Evisse the Blue has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Evisse the Blue Send a message via Yahoo to Evisse the Blue Send a message via Skype™ to Evisse the Blue
Top ten: (in this order)
1. Scenery (New Zealand - best country in a supporting role )
2. Costumes and set props, and especially the attention to detail given to everything
3. Score
4. Actors - Everybody fit their part perfectly... or almost perfectly (I'll give no names though )
5. Directing - I used to ignore the genius of directing, until I saw such magnificently done scenes like 'Faramir's ride to Osgiliath' or the Ride of the Rohirrim.
6. Sean Bean (and no, he shouldn't be at number 4 with the rest because he deserves a category of his own )
7. Cool battle scenes: like Aragorn fighting Lurtz or Sam fighting Shelob
8. Some of my favourite scenes in the book were done just right: Ride of the Rohirrim, Frodo at Mt Doom (*huge sigh of relief*)
9. Some cool special effects
10. *thinking really hard*...Well, they were more or less loosely based on one of my favourite books...

All in all, I agree with all of you who said that, despite minor flaws, the movie expressed the spirit of the book quite well.
Old 12-19-2004, 03:42 PM   #15
Lalwendė
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
The first and foremost reason why I enjoyed them is that I never thought anyone would even dare attempt to film LotR, and I always make a point of watching film versions of my favourite books - even if they don't turn out so well. I was very perturbed when I turned up at the cinema and spent the next three hours with my mouth hanging open and no doubt swallowing a lot of flies or something.

The level of detail impressed me. There were things that only a book fan would notice as I found out after the first film while squealing about the fact that Boromir's vambraces had the white tree of gondor etched into them - everyone else was bemused. This level of detail extended to the artwork and graphics, even that used on merchandising packaging. I loved the fact that they actually made all the tapestries which hung in Meduseld, depite the fact that I still can't see them properly!

The acting was splendid in most cases. I single out special mention for Chris Lee, Ian McKellen, Sean Bean, Ian Holm and Bernard Hill, all of whom I liked already and brought those characters to life as I saw them. And I have to say that Andy Serkis did the voice of Gollum perfectly. Apparently this is based on the sound of a cat coughing up a furball and try as I might, I still can't copy it. I'll have to start chewing my own hair I suppose.

I liked most of the sets too - I was delighted to see Bag End, my dream home, finally brought to life, even the little gate and the desk - it was all perfect. The costumes too were rather lovely to look at - especially when you see Eowyn hanging around outside Meduseld looking wistful in her long white dress.

I think Mark 12_30 sums up what I think of the fims overall here:
Quote:
Really, I think we have a magnificent set of movies, and I'm grateful for them. They are some of the best fanfiction ever generated
They are indeed like fan fiction. PJ's vision of the books translated into film. I would have liked a TV series, but I accept it was unlikely to happen (even though they tried Gormenghast on the BBC), and with some of the creatures, places and concepts in LotR needing big money throwing at them to make them look decent, then a big budget film was the only relaistic way to go.

Quote:
Incidentally, in this regard, I learned with sadness that Tom Stoppard is no longer working on the script for the film version of His Dark Materials - a great shame
They'll probably get someone from Eastenders in now. The next film I am truly dreading them making a mess of.
Old 12-19-2004, 04:21 PM   #16
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Rose Cotton has just left Hobbiton.
Besides some nitpicking (which we've certainly done our share of) I thought these movies were fantastic. I loved every part of it.

But what I really loved was how they came into my life.

I started reading LotR in the summer of 2001 with absalutly no idea there was going to be a movie. But the fact that the movies were there to be watched just as I finished the books turned what would have been just one story out of many into an entire experience. These movies rekindled the fandom that existed after the books were published and ensured that they would continue into the new millenium.

It's kind of like a passing on of the torch kind of thing. Very much in the way the Red Book of Westmarch was passed from Bilbo to Frodo to Sam etc. The great stories and myths are always passed from one generation to another and shaped to fit the imaginations of the times. So, in anther half century we'll have yet a new revial of Tolkien. In what way, I can't even begin to fathom, but I'm glad I'll still be around to see it.

We are all just passing characters in the great story of life
Old 12-19-2004, 04:28 PM   #17
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

1420!

Quote:
And I have to say that Andy Serkis did the voice of Gollum perfectly.
Lal, I saw the show (I believe it was the one on WB) where Andy Serkis talked about playing Gollum, and how he portrayed Gollum's character. He compared it with, if you have a drug addict, or an alcoholic, who has all their drugs/alcohol stripped away, that's like Gollum's character only in Gollum's case it's with a ring. That's what he imagined playing Gollum, an addict, but a ring-addict, and I must say he played it fantastically. His more recent movie "13 going on 30" I would suggest, as it's worth watching it, just to see Andy .
Old 12-19-2004, 06:51 PM   #18
Apple juice

Sting

I didn't like the movie at all...
I was first dissapointed when I saw ROTK and then I hated the whole movie
Old 12-20-2004, 09:03 AM   #19
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

1420!

Quote:
I didn't like the movie at all...
I was first dissapointed when I saw ROTK and then I hated the whole movie
You have your own opinion, but this is a thread discussing your likes of the movie, sorry not dislikes. Next time try refraining yourself from posting nonsensical, off subject posts.
Old 12-20-2004, 09:29 AM   #20
Bungo Baggins
Animated Skeleton

Bungo Baggins has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I think the first aspect of the films I enjoyed so much was the acting. Astin, Wood, McKellen, Lee, et al were just incredible. If any of them were remotely lousy, it could have had the potential to ruin everything. I.e. Sophia Coppola in Godfather Part III. Gollum was amazing as well. I don't think anyone could have pulled it off as well as Andy Serkis. I knew the script would be good if they stayed close to the original text. But the acting was the key factor in my opinion. Followed by the acting, the special effects and scenery added to my enjoyment of the films. All of these elements combined to make a cinematic masterpiece which will be enjoyed for many generations.
Old 01-04-2005, 06:50 PM   #21
King of the North
Haunting Spirit

King of the North has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The top reason I loved these movies is that a vast majority of the shots matched my visualizations when I read the books. In fact, in some places it enhanced my view. Also for the most part the performances were very well executed. Christopher Lee played Saruman with perfection, and Sean Bean played Boromir with the same quality. Some of the weaker performances were by the Hobbits especially in RotK. Also I appreciate these movies VERY much. After watching all of the special features on all the EE DVDs I have learned of the extreme effort that EVERYONE on the crew put into the movies. That gives me tremendous respect for them and the films. Infidel sorry *** nerds that live in their mothers' basements can easily say stuff like "why didn't they add the rune on the south wall?!?!" or "geesh they really should have done more work on the Battle of Pellenor Fields!" Well if you mark these movies as bad for things like that, well don't get me started..... Few know the amazing amount of hard work put into these films. One must remember that for a book to be transferred into a film it must undergo changes. PJ and the other makers of these films bow down to Tolkien's writings and honor them. Even though I sometimes have been guilty of talking bad of these movies I still am in awe of what they achieved. Viggo Mortensen said it best, "as long as you honor the books, you can change a lot of things."

sorry admin or forum currators for the minor swearing, feel free to censor it if it contradicts any rules.

o and sry Boromir for kinda getting off topic
Old 01-05-2005, 10:27 PM   #22
Eothain Elfwine
Animated Skeleton

Eothain Elfwine has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

As a whole, these are three of the most magnificent movies ever created. I am amazed at how they were extraordinary in almost every aspect: in scenery and in score and in acting and in cinematography and in props and in makeup. No movie except "The Passion of the Christ" has affected me more emotionally than the whole Lord of the Rings trilogy. They are truly beautiful works of art.
Old 03-04-2006, 06:11 AM   #23
Salacia Deloresista
Pile O'Bones

Salacia Deloresista has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Salacia Deloresista Send a message via AIM to Salacia Deloresista
As many times as I've seen the movies, I've watched the 'making of' sections a hundred times more. I've poured for hours and hours over every extra bit in the EE's, jealous of the actors for their 15 month vacation to Middle Earth, jealous of basically anybody who got to be involved in the movies, really, disgusted with my own artistic abilities because I know I'll never be able to create anything so beautiful, and in general agonies over how amazing the set, costumes, props, visual effects, etc. were. So yeah, my favorite part of the movies would have to be the visual interpretations of the world in which I spend most of my life anyway.

And the music, especially the pieces featuring Sir James Galway. The sound track paints it's own pictures, just as vividly as any in the movie. <3
Old 03-04-2006, 07:41 PM   #24
Elu Ancalime
Shade of Carn Dūm

Elu Ancalime has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Elu Ancalime
The movies in general gave a great visual aid for me. Im not always great at that; when i first read the Hobbit, hobbits sounded like big footed hares that smoked!
________
Rambler (automobile)

Last edited by Elu Ancalime; 03-03-2011 at 11:20 PM.
Elu Ancalime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 09:33 PM   #25
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
It's my penance to post to this thread.

The scenery, many of the actors and costumes/props set you in Middle Earth. Rarely did I feel that this was not something happening (or happened) as the sets/scenes appeared very real. Gollum was an astounding achievement, and the decision to use a live actor with a CG skin was brilliant. The music still haunts me.

And I applaud PJ for not only for taking on such a dangerous and monumentous task, but also for 'bucking the system' and filming all three movies at once and not in Hollywood.

Faves:
  • Depiction of Gandalf the Grey - that was no actor!
  • Sean Bean - I appreciate Boromir more.
  • The Charge of the Rohirrim - it's heart stirring.
  • Aragorn greeting Haldir at Helm's Deep.
  • Gandalf's talk with Frodo in Moria.
  • Gandalf's talk with Pip in Minas Tirith.

Well, I could go on and on, as you all well know. I also liked that it gave me and the Mrs. something to look forward to each year, and the DVDs give me a break from the kids watching Disney, as they watch them too.

Okay, then, that's all the strawberries and cream that I can handle, and so must return to lemons and vinegar before my head explodes .
Old 03-05-2006, 05:32 PM   #26
Laitoste
Wight

Laitoste has just left Hobbiton.
Boots

Too often we focus on the parts that are irritating or wrong in these films, but don't appreciate what they got right. As has been said before, the scenery, props, sets, and music is amazing, and usually hits the depictions in the book right on the head (notable examples: Minas Tirith, Meduseld, Rivendell, the Shire). The obsessive detail astonishes me every time I watch. The acting and characterizations were, for the most part, excellent, with a few notable exceptions. The plot can be iffy at times, if only because the writers can't really match what Tolkien did, no matter how hard they try. However, when I watch these films, I can usually just ignore or recognize, in passing, what I don't like and enjoy a brief sojourn in Middle-Earth. And that is the best part.
Old 03-06-2006, 07:31 PM   #27
Legolas in spandex
Wight

Legolas in spandex has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

Hmm, ten things I like about the movies? Okay.

1. The music. All of the music in the LotR movies gave the mysterious, middle-aged, and adventurous feel for the books being presented in the 3 films.

2.The World created: All of the lands of middle-Earth were captured beautifully in such a reasonable running time. The props and special effects helped this to be carried out.

3.The creatures: Hey, who didn't love the way they did the many beasts of land air and sea?

4.The care taken to the texts: I loved how all the books and written documents were carefully scripted in every appropriate tongue whether it be elvish, dwarvish, or in the common tongue.

5.The languages being spoken: I also like how the actors and actresses spoke in the tongues.

6.The weaponry: All the weaponry was crafted beautifully and the fight scenes were done well.

7.The random funny guys: If you pay close enough attention, you'll notice the funny people in the background. In the beginning of the fellowship, there's this funny elf who makes a fish face when Sauron gives his shock wave things.

8. The characters out of the Fellowship:Galadriel and Arwen were graceful and beautiful and Elrond was as booming as he should be.

9.The hobbits, the wizards, and Aragorn: They all did well and I loved the heart of the hobbits, the wisdom and power of the wizards , and Aragorns rugged personality and brave heart.

10. Legolas: I dare not say more.
Old 03-13-2006, 03:27 PM   #28
Laitoste
Wight

Laitoste has just left Hobbiton.
Another thought: I finally got to see Memoirs of a Geisha. I had been waiting a very long time to see it, and was very excited. The book captivates me every time I read it, and suberbly articulates a world very different from my own. However, when I watched the film, it failed to capture the flavor of the book. It was an excellent movie--well acted, lovely set and costumes, and so on--but it did not evoke the bittersweet feeling of the book. For me, The Lord of the Rings films managed to recapture the senses the book gave me. With this, the mistakes and changes are forgivable. Without this, the movie fails.
Old 03-13-2006, 03:44 PM   #29
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Orlando Bloom.
Old 03-13-2006, 03:50 PM   #30
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalė

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feanor of the Peredhil
Orlando Bloom.
Is that for, or against? I just can't be sure...
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 04:41 PM   #31
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogrod
Is that for, or against? I just can't be sure...

My actual love for the movie stems from the expertise with which the cast and crew elicit emotion. It lies somewhere between the spell-binding music, the well-choreographed fight scenes, the subtle lines and the seamless special effects.

The actors truly became their roles. It wasn't as if you were watching a movie... it was as if you were merely watching.

The gorgeous actors [cough] Karl Urban [/cough] merely added that bit of extra panache.
Old 03-19-2006, 06:42 PM   #32
Legolas in spandex
Wight

Legolas in spandex has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feanor of the Peredhil
Orlando Bloom.
A-men
Old 03-20-2006, 06:00 AM   #33
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

Hilde Bracegirdle has just left Hobbiton.
I am posting here in part just to get the Discussion Forum page to stop saying "Top reasons why you enjoyed....Legolas in spandex"

Actually, I loved how they tried to get the films realistic. The dirt under the findernails and scraggily hair and so on really struck me the first time I saw the FotR. Nice contrast between the high ideals and flavor of the book and the every day struggle of existance. Though Tolkien writes very descriptively it was wonderful to see, even if some parts were very different from how I imagined them.
Hilde Bracegirdle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 06:42 AM   #34
Essex
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Essex has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laitoste
The plot can be iffy at times, if only because the writers can't really match what Tolkien did, no matter how hard they try.
As many people may know, my undying love for these movies borders on the obsessive, and I apologise for saying what wasn't right in a 'how good is the movie' sort of thread, but my main misgivings of the film hang around Plot Changes.

Some are needed to translate book to film, and Jackson gets many of these right, but when they change, needlesly shall we say, then the cracks begin to appear.

I've mentioned many times that the plot of lotr is so well conceived and though out, that you can change one part of it and the dominoes fall throughout the book leaving nothing at their mercy........this is where sometimes Jackson fails.

On the scene by scene thread we're a few weeks away from the Mother of all Plot Changes aren't we? Bring on Faramir! I'll "light touch paper and retire" methinks...!
Essex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 10:41 AM   #35
Glaurung
Pile O'Bones

Glaurung has just left Hobbiton.
In the movies I simply adored the music. The landscapes (especially the Shire) were magnificent, of course, and some of the actors were outstandingly great (eg. Ian McKellen as Gandalf, Ian Holm as Bilbo, Sean Bean as Boromir, and last but certainly not least, Andy Serkis as Gollum). And, though the other two probably didn't, I think that the first movie caught the atmosphere of the book quite well.
Glaurung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 08:00 PM   #36
Azaelia of Willowbottom
Shade of Carn Dūm

Azaelia of Willowbottom has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Azaelia of Willowbottom
Silmaril

Well! I missed this one the first time around, somehow.

So here I am, now.

Things Azaelia loves about the movies...

1. The acting. This has to be top for me. Yes, the script and the sets and the music were brilliant, but there's something special about the acting in the movies. The ensemble worked together perfectly, handled emotional scenes perfectly, and made me believe that I really was watching Frodo, Sam, Merry, Pippin, Gandalf, and the rest. It was, in short, inspiring, in more ways than one. I wanted to be able to do that, and it led to my choice to want to be an actress when I "grew up" back in '01. Now, I'm moving on. I've gotten into college and am going to persue a degree in acting. I owe this finding of my passion to the LOTR movies.

2. The music. Howard Shore's score is a masterpiece in itself. The soundtrack is, in turns, stirring, depressing, joyful, majestic, bright, carefree, dark, etc. It's layered music, and some of the most powerful I have ever heard. It's great to just listen to while reading the book. How it was done in the movies was perfect. It's a mark of a great score, I think, when you don't notice it there all the time. Music accents the dialogue and action, rather than trying to take it over. He knew how to use moments of silence, to just let the acting and script tell the story, rather than overpower the audience with blaring, heroic noise. It made the swells of music, when you really notice it, that much more powerful. His music to the lighting of the beacons is the main reason I cry while watching that sequence.

3. The script. Granted, it does have its flaws, but I think that over all, it is beautifully written. Lines from the actual text of Tolkien fit seamlessly with lines written just for the movie (with some exceptions that do fall flat). The scriptwriters knew when to pause and really make a scene last, but also when to just keep things moving along. The construction of TTT was especially well-done when you consider that they had no real beginning to go with, and no real end. They set the scene well, and wrapped things up perfectly. I understood why they made the changes from the books that they did, as things that look great on the page may not turn out so well on the silver screen. I think they also struck a good balance between providing something that first-timers who hadn't read the books would understand, and little hints to us book-readers that said "we know what we're doing, we love the books, too".

4. The settings. New Zealand was a perfect backdrop for LOTR. They somehow made everything look almost exactly as I'd imagined it while reading the books. Sets were intricate and the attention to detail was just amazing. The things they added that the camera never picked up... wow.

5. The sheer power of the LOTR movies is something I have very rarely experienced since. The movies bring the mood of the books to life. Movies frequently make me shed a tear or two, but so rarely induce out-and-out crying (I'm talking can't-see-the-screen-sobbing-pass-me-the-tissues-and-hit-the-pause-button-crying here). I know that emotion like that makes some people uncomfortable, but for me it's incredibly positive. It means that a connection has been made, that I get it, that I feel the movie in my blood, in my heart. It also means that they have touched me as deeply as the books do. So that's a job well done. And this alone is a testament to all of it--it means the perfect balance has been struck: the acting, the script, the scenery, the music...everything. It just sort of hits you all at once, you know?
Old 04-13-2006, 11:36 PM   #37
Parmawen
Haunting Spirit

Parmawen has just left Hobbiton.
Number one reason would be: the wholeness. While watching the movies, you don't get drawn away by overly-scripted lines and mistakes and plot holes. It's almost seamless, and for all 12-16 hours of it, you're in a world of your own.
As well as the breathtaking beauty of Lothlorien, the intense Helms Deep scenes, the music, the costumes, scenery, true-to-the-books-ness, good acting, humour, and of course...Legolas
Parmawen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 04:31 PM   #38
Lote22
Animated Skeleton

Lote22 has just left Hobbiton.
My top reasons I enjoyed the movies, were because even though they're long the suspence and the plot keeps you wanting to watch them and makes it interesting. I really enjoyed the humour in the movies and the actors played the characters amazing that you felt you had a connection with them. The fight and war scenes were great because the speciel effects were done really well.